67 comments

Fiction Funny

This story contains sensitive content

CW: Gratuitous swearing (including Renaissance swear words)



Let me set the record straight, first and foremost: No, contrary to what that doddypoll William Shakespeare wrote in his dramatic work, no, I have not been tamed. In fact, if I may clarify, I will never ever be tamed, not then and not now.


(Oh, let me repeat that in a language, a bunch of lines, you understand.)


That’s right. Good ol’ Willy Shakes all played you, shut off the spotlight of the truth about me and illuminated a fabrication in the brightest of ambers and deep cobalt blue. I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised. After all, what is truly being reborn in the Renaissance is the belief that something that is a matter of happenstance --- being born female --- somehow makes you less. Of course, Willy here got a pass simply because of a piece of flesh dangling between his legs whilst I, some poor unfortunate wench, was to stay in the wings, relegated to a non-speaking part by what would eventually be discovered to be possessing two X chromosomes. If all the world’s a stage, a woman’s story is but a subplot in my world.


…unless I decide to cry it out instead of reducing it to a stage whisper. Look, I’ve heard the word “shrew” so many times, it could fit pages upon pages of scripts; I’m used to it, worry not. I do not mind at all to be allotted as the antagonist, the wicked witch that spouts out curses to demolish the fabric of propriety. I may as well don the black robe and the pointed hat and come out with what truly happened.


Besides, didn’t that coot Willy say “To thine self be true”? Well, what better way to be myself than to tell the truth about me.


(Heh! I quite like that line I wrote for my soliloquy. Nice one, Kate!)


No, it isn’t true that my sister Bianca was itching for me to get married so that she could get courted. Come on now. Do you really think Bianca --- the younger daughter of Lord Baptista Minola, the blonde, sapphire-eyed beauty with an impeccable pedigree declared as The Loveliest Woman in all of Padua every single year since she was the age of 14 (And oh please, I know what you’re insinuating about me and that competition. May you fall from a stage’s trap door!) --- would want to be the sidekick to one of those bumbling cretins trying to win her hand? No way!


It's about time to show under the light that it was actually our father’s principal idea. At the apron of the performance hall of his mind was the reality that he had two daughters and no son. But of course, to him, Bianca and I had already been typecast as wombs to create his heir, so bundling us as a two-for-one deal to hasten that process just makes perfect sense, right? (I know. Disgusting!).


No, it isn’t true that those slime balls Hortensio and Lucentio recruited Petruchio to be my partner. What? Those two scumbags holding some audition for a husband for me? Oh please! They probably can’t even memorise a libretto if it contained only one word, let alone concoct an elaborate production number of a plot.


It’s about time to show under the light that Pete here and I had actually been friends since both of us played on a swing. In fact, it was my idea that he move in from Verona to Padua after his father died. (There’s just been so much bad vibes in his home town since this couple there offed themselves because their parents were sworn enemies. Eek!). However, I won’t be surprised if Pete decided to portray the part of a stranger to toy with those sleazebags and get their cold hard cash. Oh well.


No, it isn’t true that Pete had punished me for being headstrong, for choosing to be the director of my own life, my own thoughts, once we got married. There was no isolation, no sword fighting of hearts happening between us. Like I said, surprise, we’re mates. Do you truly think that after decades of knowing each other, he’d just method act his way to dealing with the tempest of my will? Goodness me! That is so ludicrous, it might as well be conceptualised by someone who calls themselves King of the Fairies.


It's about time to show under the light that Pete did not have to block who I am to get me to listen to him, to cooperate like the cast of some musical. Oh no. If you’re asking what exactly is in his script to make me “docile” (Whatever that means. What’s in a…word?), it’s simply, well, not making me put on a costume of docility. Surprise surprise! The best way to get a wife to follow you is to…follow her at times, to not hush her when she only wants an audience with you. I don’t know what’s so hard to understand about that.


(Seriously, those feeble attempts I’ve seen men make to have their wives submit to them? So tragic. Hahahaha!)


No, it isn’t true that Pete had devised a competition to judge who is the most obedient wife. Do you read that? Not even the maddest dramaturge could come up with something so absurd as the archetypal straight man of a husband I have wagering on something as preposterous as his spouse’s submissiveness. No, the ignoramuses that came up with that ridiculous idea are Hortensio and Lucentio (Oh, but of course!). It’s not surprising at all that these two losers who couldn’t find their way to their box seat if it only had two chairs would set up such a stupid contest.


Oh, and it's about time to show under the light that no, I didn’t win the prize money for “discarding my shrew-like nature”. No, I was crowned champion for…putting on an act. Oh yes! Pete and I had plotted it all, written every line of our deception for me to depict. It worked. Of course, back home, we sneered at just how it was child’s play to fool everyone. Hey, if you don’t want to be made into court jesters, don’t make pointless bets.


Most of all, though, no, it isn’t true that I am but a figment of Shakespeare’s imagination, brought to life by a quill in the late 1500s and staying on a piece of paper. My life doesn’t end when the actors bow for their curtain call.


It’s about time to show under the light that I am still alive and will continue to be. Anytime you see a woman onstage, her right hand outstretched up and her left one on a Bible, as she takes an oath to direct a nation, that is me incarnated. Anytime a bevy of ladies with placards declaring how exhausted they are to constantly be thrust in the role of baby incubators and nothing more, that is me incarnated. Oh, and yes, that Swedish teenager strutting to a podium to exclaim an entire world “How dare you!”, that is definitely me incarnated. I will wear different masks, be as colourful as a harlequin in the number of suits I will wear, but I will already declare this before all of you in this theatre of life: it will always be me.


I am Katherina Minola. You can call me a shrew. I will never be tamed.


P.S.: Really, Willy Boy’s plays are discussed in classrooms all over the globe? That boil! That plague sore! That embossed carbuncle!


July 03, 2024 09:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

67 comments

09:56 Jul 07, 2024

Loved this satirical rendering of the shrew that was never tamed. She lives on! Shame, because I love the Taming of the Shrew. I'll never see her shown under quite the same clever light again. Lots of fun to read. Were you aware that the naughty F word is believed by some, to be an acronym for "For using carnal knowledge." Maybe that is how they said it back then? HaHa.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:25 Jul 07, 2024

Hi, Kaitlyn ! Hahahaha ! I had to do it because I wanted justice for Kate. Hahahaha ! Indeed, she lives on. Every time there's a woman standing up for herself, it's Kate. As for the F word, well, that's interesting. Hahahahaha ! Thank you so much for the read !!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beverly Goldberg
06:44 Jul 07, 2024

Hysterical. And all those bits from his works. You go, girl. And keep being you, oh, to be as funny as you can be. I'd love to hear your take on Titus, quite a downer of a play. Do you think Willy wrote it or false attribution.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
07:22 Jul 07, 2024

Hahahahaha ! Glad you liked it, Beverly ! I did have fun writing this. I must admit that "How to say 'f**k' in Renaissance English" is a strange search term. Hahahahaha ! Titus, oooh, that's a tough one. As for who wrote it, I'm honestly not quite sure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Lysaght
04:17 Jul 12, 2024

Love it!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
05:03 Jul 12, 2024

Thank you so much !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julia Buzdygan
12:53 Jul 11, 2024

What a fun read! Definitely fell well under the modernized version of Shakespeare, accurate take on an old classic.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
12:54 Jul 11, 2024

Hi, Julia ! I'm happy you liked it and found it fun. Thanks for the read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jane Andrews
23:38 Jul 10, 2024

This was a lot of fun! I've seen TotS onstage twice (two very different productions) and have enjoyed it as it stands, but your piece is very clever - possibly more in keeping with Ann Tyler's portrayal of Kate in 'Vinegar Girl'. (If you haven't read it, grab a copy. It's a very believable updating of the story.) And of course there's also 'Ten Things I Hate About You' which is another fun update - but I like the way that your Kate is reincarnated in the examples you give (and I love the idea that she and Petruchio scammed everyone with a pr...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:32 Jul 11, 2024

Hi, Jane ! I'm so glad you liked this story. Like I mentioned in other comments, the way Kate was treated always leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, so I decided to redeem her story with this. Happy it worked. Funny you should mention Julia Stiles' Kat in "10 Things I Hate About You", she was in part the inspiration for my take on Kate. I think I need to read "Vinegar Girl", then. Huge thank you for reading ! I quite like the name Mistress Quill. Hahaha !

Reply

Jane Andrews
09:31 Jul 11, 2024

Forgot to say, the second time I saw TOTS onstage, they reversed the two main roles so Kate was male and Petruchio was female - gave the okay a completely different dynamic.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
13:00 Jul 11, 2024

Very, very interesting !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
♡ Tana ♡
20:27 Jul 08, 2024

Wow you have such an incredible voice- your talent for writing different tones is just incredible!! I am so impressed by your writing!!!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:31 Jul 09, 2024

That means so much coming from a brilliant writer like you, Tana ! Thank you so much ! I'm glad you liked the voice.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Linda Kenah
19:18 Jul 08, 2024

Yay, Kate! You tell ‘em! Very fun story! I don’t know if it’s just me, but I feel like there has been so much wonderful creativity in the short stories I have read this week. Thank you for the entertaining take on Willy’s tale. Loved it!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:33 Jul 09, 2024

Thank you, Linda ! I truly had fun writing this one, so I'm happy it came through. Indeed, this week has been rife with creativity. Lots of brilliant stories. Again, thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rachel Williams
18:18 Jul 08, 2024

This was such a brilliant read, Alexis! Lots of fun to read and I think you have done a brilliant job bringing justice to the role of Kate. Splendid work as always x

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:34 Jul 09, 2024

Hi, Rachel ! Thank you so much ! Yes, like I said in other comments, I wanted Kate to take her power back. Glad you liked the story !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
14:19 Jul 08, 2024

Love it. Nice work.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:28 Jul 08, 2024

Thank you, Darvico !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:58 Jul 08, 2024

Hi Alexis, I love this fierce takedown of “Willy’s” willy ( at least he could poke fun at his own name as slang for p**s.) “Shrew” was my least favorite play, so I love how you’ve turned Kate into a powerful voice of women’s pride for the ages. What a fun read!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
12:18 Jul 08, 2024

Hi, Swan ! You know what? I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it, but indeed, it is a fierce takedown of Willy's willy. Hahahaha ! Like I mentioned in other comments, I feel Kate deserves her justice, so when the Shakespeare theme was announced, I had to take back her power. Thanks for the read !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
05:54 Jul 08, 2024

Hey Alexis, What a bombastic romp through the Bard’s best bits. I enjoyed the combination of references to other works and the belligerent attitude; both were spot on and expertly gauged. You must have enjoyed writing this piece because there’s a feverish energy to your prose that sizzles and sparks. One of my favourite lines was, “They probably can’t even memorise a libretto if it contained only one word, let alone concoct an elaborate production number of a plot.” Just perfect. I look forward to your next offering and wish you success in t...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
06:40 Jul 08, 2024

Hi, Howard !!! I'm so happy you liked this ! Like I said in other comments, I think Kate deserves justice after all the abuse she suffered in her "taming". I had to do it. I'm happy you liked the little reference's to Shakespeare's other plays too. I realise I missed the opportunity to insert one of my favourites (Twelfth Night) in there, something along the lines of "Gawd, do I need to dress up like a bloke called, I don't know, Sebastian?" Hahahaha ! I quite enjoyed writing this, yes. And it was fun to come up with scathing lines and let ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Mahoney
03:32 Jul 07, 2024

Alexis, I feel very moved by how your main "character's" feelings are able to transcend through so many years and still ring true. I am sure that with people like us, it will not take as long to treat everyone as they should be. (good or bad)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
06:59 Jul 07, 2024

Hi, Rebecca ! As mentioned in other comments, I kind of wanted to redeem Kate from the '"taming" *cough* abuse *cough* she suffered, so I came up with this. And it is true. Any human suppressed would want their voice heard, so of course, her spirit lives on. Thanks for the read !

Reply

W. H. Goodwater
17:49 Jul 07, 2024

Well done. Really good read!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:12 Jul 08, 2024

Thank you, Willow !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
01:26 Jul 07, 2024

Love it. Such fun writing and well done for debunking the Kate myth. Viva la Kate! The hints at other Shakespearean plays are cleverly presented and your post script, perfect.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
06:54 Jul 07, 2024

Vive la Kate ! Hahahaha ! Like I said, I felt like giving Kate the justice she deserves, so this came in my head. I had fun writing this. Glad you liked this, Michelle !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Fern Everton
18:20 Jul 06, 2024

Alexis, this is such a fun piece!! I love everything about this, especially the Renaissance swearing— I suppose that has yet to be one of my odd Google searches while writing, haha! Also, I love the sarcastic references to some of Shakespeare’s other works; Romeo and Juliet will always be a favorite of mine and A Midsummer Night’s Dream was…certainly a trip! “May you fall from a stage’s trap door!” is probably going to end up in my vocabulary the next time someone annoys me, and “Of course, Willy here got a pass simply because of a piece of...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:52 Jul 06, 2024

Hi, Fern ! Like I said, when I saw the prompts, I knew I had to do a Kate snark piece. Hahaha ! She was treated so poorly, so I had to write a pièce where she gets justice. I really had fun writing this. Yes, "Renaissance word for f**k" is a very odd search entry for me now. Hahahaha ! And yes, I loved including the references to other plays. I'm so happy you liked this. Thank you for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
16:22 Jul 06, 2024

I’m not familiar enough with Shakespeare’s story to catch everything you did here, but it was still super fun to read! You were very creative and you pulled it off very skillfully. Well done!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:43 Jul 06, 2024

Hi, McKade ! Basically, the story is that Kate is very outspoken and is considered "Who not to marry" by men, unlike her more submissive sister Bianca. Since their father has a rule that Kate should be married before Bianca does, a bunch of guys trying to win Bianca's hand "hire" Petruchio to court Kate. Once they're (Kate and Petruchio) married, Petruchio abuses Kate until she breaks down and becomes docile. Abysmal story for women. Hahahaha ! I'm happy you liked the liberties I took here. This was fun to write; it was interesting to tak...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
16:08 Jul 06, 2024

Loved this !!!!!!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:16 Jul 06, 2024

Thank you so much, Myranda !

Reply

Myranda Marie
16:19 Jul 06, 2024

I had awesome flashbacks of doing this play in high school. We were all "shrews" in the 80's...haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
19:00 Jul 05, 2024

You've come a long way, Kate. :-)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
00:56 Jul 06, 2024

Indeed, she has. Hahahaha ! Thank you for reading, as usual.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daryl Kulak
15:12 Jul 05, 2024

Yes! Great story, Alexis. I like how Kate's spirit is reflected in present day.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:13 Jul 05, 2024

Hi, Daryl. Precisely that. No one can tame her, not then, not now. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annie Persson
14:16 Jul 05, 2024

Go girls! Nice story about woman-power and an interesting spin on that story! :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:51 Jul 05, 2024

Thank you, Annie ! Like I said, I kind of wanted to give justice for Kate, so I wrote this. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
00:14 Jul 05, 2024

Oh wow, what a take on the prompt, so many proud shrews following in Kate's footsteps ahahaha. Perfect tone and very entertaining.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:14 Jul 05, 2024

Hahahaha ! I don't know why, but I saw Shakespeare week as an opportunity to give Kate the justice she deserves. And yes, you can't repress women. Thanks for reading, Carol !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.