67 comments

Fiction Funny

This story contains sensitive content

CW: Gratuitous swearing (including Renaissance swear words)



Let me set the record straight, first and foremost: No, contrary to what that doddypoll William Shakespeare wrote in his dramatic work, no, I have not been tamed. In fact, if I may clarify, I will never ever be tamed, not then and not now.


(Oh, let me repeat that in a language, a bunch of lines, you understand.)


That’s right. Good ol’ Willy Shakes all played you, shut off the spotlight of the truth about me and illuminated a fabrication in the brightest of ambers and deep cobalt blue. I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised. After all, what is truly being reborn in the Renaissance is the belief that something that is a matter of happenstance --- being born female --- somehow makes you less. Of course, Willy here got a pass simply because of a piece of flesh dangling between his legs whilst I, some poor unfortunate wench, was to stay in the wings, relegated to a non-speaking part by what would eventually be discovered to be possessing two X chromosomes. If all the world’s a stage, a woman’s story is but a subplot in my world.


…unless I decide to cry it out instead of reducing it to a stage whisper. Look, I’ve heard the word “shrew” so many times, it could fit pages upon pages of scripts; I’m used to it, worry not. I do not mind at all to be allotted as the antagonist, the wicked witch that spouts out curses to demolish the fabric of propriety. I may as well don the black robe and the pointed hat and come out with what truly happened.


Besides, didn’t that coot Willy say “To thine self be true”? Well, what better way to be myself than to tell the truth about me.


(Heh! I quite like that line I wrote for my soliloquy. Nice one, Kate!)


No, it isn’t true that my sister Bianca was itching for me to get married so that she could get courted. Come on now. Do you really think Bianca --- the younger daughter of Lord Baptista Minola, the blonde, sapphire-eyed beauty with an impeccable pedigree declared as The Loveliest Woman in all of Padua every single year since she was the age of 14 (And oh please, I know what you’re insinuating about me and that competition. May you fall from a stage’s trap door!) --- would want to be the sidekick to one of those bumbling cretins trying to win her hand? No way!


It's about time to show under the light that it was actually our father’s principal idea. At the apron of the performance hall of his mind was the reality that he had two daughters and no son. But of course, to him, Bianca and I had already been typecast as wombs to create his heir, so bundling us as a two-for-one deal to hasten that process just makes perfect sense, right? (I know. Disgusting!).


No, it isn’t true that those slime balls Hortensio and Lucentio recruited Petruchio to be my partner. What? Those two scumbags holding some audition for a husband for me? Oh please! They probably can’t even memorise a libretto if it contained only one word, let alone concoct an elaborate production number of a plot.


It’s about time to show under the light that Pete here and I had actually been friends since both of us played on a swing. In fact, it was my idea that he move in from Verona to Padua after his father died. (There’s just been so much bad vibes in his home town since this couple there offed themselves because their parents were sworn enemies. Eek!). However, I won’t be surprised if Pete decided to portray the part of a stranger to toy with those sleazebags and get their cold hard cash. Oh well.


No, it isn’t true that Pete had punished me for being headstrong, for choosing to be the director of my own life, my own thoughts, once we got married. There was no isolation, no sword fighting of hearts happening between us. Like I said, surprise, we’re mates. Do you truly think that after decades of knowing each other, he’d just method act his way to dealing with the tempest of my will? Goodness me! That is so ludicrous, it might as well be conceptualised by someone who calls themselves King of the Fairies.


It's about time to show under the light that Pete did not have to block who I am to get me to listen to him, to cooperate like the cast of some musical. Oh no. If you’re asking what exactly is in his script to make me “docile” (Whatever that means. What’s in a…word?), it’s simply, well, not making me put on a costume of docility. Surprise surprise! The best way to get a wife to follow you is to…follow her at times, to not hush her when she only wants an audience with you. I don’t know what’s so hard to understand about that.


(Seriously, those feeble attempts I’ve seen men make to have their wives submit to them? So tragic. Hahahaha!)


No, it isn’t true that Pete had devised a competition to judge who is the most obedient wife. Do you read that? Not even the maddest dramaturge could come up with something so absurd as the archetypal straight man of a husband I have wagering on something as preposterous as his spouse’s submissiveness. No, the ignoramuses that came up with that ridiculous idea are Hortensio and Lucentio (Oh, but of course!). It’s not surprising at all that these two losers who couldn’t find their way to their box seat if it only had two chairs would set up such a stupid contest.


Oh, and it's about time to show under the light that no, I didn’t win the prize money for “discarding my shrew-like nature”. No, I was crowned champion for…putting on an act. Oh yes! Pete and I had plotted it all, written every line of our deception for me to depict. It worked. Of course, back home, we sneered at just how it was child’s play to fool everyone. Hey, if you don’t want to be made into court jesters, don’t make pointless bets.


Most of all, though, no, it isn’t true that I am but a figment of Shakespeare’s imagination, brought to life by a quill in the late 1500s and staying on a piece of paper. My life doesn’t end when the actors bow for their curtain call.


It’s about time to show under the light that I am still alive and will continue to be. Anytime you see a woman onstage, her right hand outstretched up and her left one on a Bible, as she takes an oath to direct a nation, that is me incarnated. Anytime a bevy of ladies with placards declaring how exhausted they are to constantly be thrust in the role of baby incubators and nothing more, that is me incarnated. Oh, and yes, that Swedish teenager strutting to a podium to exclaim an entire world “How dare you!”, that is definitely me incarnated. I will wear different masks, be as colourful as a harlequin in the number of suits I will wear, but I will already declare this before all of you in this theatre of life: it will always be me.


I am Katherina Minola. You can call me a shrew. I will never be tamed.


P.S.: Really, Willy Boy’s plays are discussed in classrooms all over the globe? That boil! That plague sore! That embossed carbuncle!


July 03, 2024 09:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

67 comments

Hannah Lynn
13:39 Jul 04, 2024

Love the attitude of the main character and the snarky comments about "Willy Shakes" ... priceless :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
13:42 Jul 04, 2024

Thank you, Hannah ! I think Katherina would speak like that had she been born in the contemporary era. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:11 Jul 04, 2024

This was great fun, Alexis, and I loved the underlying theme! Well done once again and welcome back to the competition!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
09:38 Jul 04, 2024

Thank you for the read, Melissa ! Like I mentioned in other comments, I kind of wanted justice for Katherina, so I wrote this. And yes, it's amazing to be able to submit again. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
00:58 Jul 04, 2024

What a shrew! Wonderfully written. Thanks for liking my 'Much Ado About Nothing'

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:36 Jul 04, 2024

And she's proud of it. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading, Mary !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
21:25 Jul 03, 2024

Splendid story, Alexis! Once again, you amaze me with your writing! I love how this story is like a shout out to female independence from their often overrated counterparts. From the very beginning you had me hooked and my eager eyes couldn't wait to get to the next letter, word, and sentence. The way the story was structured was pure bliss! Admittedly, I haven't read any Shakespeare since High School, but I think you did a wonderful job with making this work with the prompt. So many great lines here, but my favorite was: "The best way...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:48 Jul 04, 2024

Daniel ! Once again, I want to thank you for your support of my writing. Truly, I always appreciate it ! As a contemporary woman, there was always something that disgusted me about "The Taming of the Shrew". Yes, it was a product of its time (where, ironically, England's leader was female), but it's extra misogynistic. I kind of wanted Katherina to fight back, so I thought what if Shakespeare's play was actually a propaganda version of her story. I'm happy it worked. I quite liked writing that line. It's true, though. Just treat women --...

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
20:38 Jul 04, 2024

You did an amazing job writing this! Thank you for sharing it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
20:19 Jul 03, 2024

Lol! So fun. Love it! You have a talent for comedy!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:49 Jul 04, 2024

Hi, Kristi ! I'm happy my little attempt at comedy worked. Hahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
10:30 Jul 03, 2024

One of your finer works. Really enjoyed.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:49 Jul 03, 2024

Wow ! Thank you, Ty ! I was doubting this one, actually, since it's not my usual style. But I'm happy you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sophie Goldstein
16:56 Jul 19, 2024

This was so much fun to read! Kate is one of my favorite Shakespeare characters and I always love when a talented writer puts a great spin on the story. Wonderful work! :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:58 Jul 19, 2024

Yay ! I'm so happy you liked it, Sophie ! Like I said in other comments, this was kind of my "Justice for Kate" piece. Hahahaha ! I'm happy you liked my version of the story. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
VJ Hamilton
20:48 Jul 14, 2024

Fantastic use of language here -- I really feel Kate's exasperation! Thanks for the great read!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:23 Jul 15, 2024

Hi, VJ ! Like I said, I kind of wanted to give Kate her power back. Of course, she'd be mad at her treatment. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Justin Diaz
05:08 Jul 13, 2024

I have only seen a hand full of his plays but I was still able to understand what was happening and it is very interesting to get something like this of one of his characters calling out to the audience and reader to understand her feelings and conveyed them in a well executed manner.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
06:42 Jul 13, 2024

Thank you, Justin ! Like I mentioned in other comments, I sort of wanted to give Kate her power back, so when I saw the Shakespeare theme, I knew I had to write a version where she wasn't tamed (*cough* abused *cough*). Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emily Nghiem
07:44 Jul 12, 2024

And if this were a Musical, it would be "Kiss my A-- Kate!" You go, Girl! Tell it like it is, and don't apologize. (I'd love to collaborate with you, and write a series with strong women with a gift for free speech. Let me know if you're interested!)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
08:14 Jul 12, 2024

Ha ! "Kiss My A** Kate" ! I love it ! Like I mentioned in other comments, I just felt like Kate deserved justice in "The Taming of the Shrew", so I wrote this. I'm happy you liked it. As for collaborations, I'll think about it. It's difficult sometimes balancing writing and a day job. Hahahaha !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
02:12 Jul 04, 2024

Kind of author's note: Also, it's great to be able to submit stories for the competition again. Hahahaha !

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.