413 comments

Fantasy Teens & Young Adult Drama


I looked back at where the glowing portal once was, but it was gone. There was no turning back now. We were in the arena.


No one else was in sight. I slid off Veradis's back, running my hand along her feathers before walking forward. I looked out at the mountains on the horizon, then behind me at the mass of forests. Wherever we were, it would be testing out survival skills along with how well we fight. The silence was eerie and deathly quiet, the only sound being the rushing river water below. I shut my eyes as the wind whipped stray hairs across my face, as if angry that I had volunteered for the competition. I turned back to the forest, not wanting to stay on the cliff any longer. If I was going to die, I at least wanted to know where I was. 


The sky was still a bright, Riverdeen-esque color, the sun sending its light down to the forests. 


It was peaceful if I managed to forget why I was here. 


***************** 

-Different POV-


Should I try and make Eriene my ally? No. I can't trust her. Not yet, at least. Until I know her motives, she's like the others. 


****************** 


I stayed on a sharp lookout, though there's no one in sight. No one, except me and Veradis. We continue to walk, the cliff thick with trees. There seems to be a faint path, so we follow it across the plateau until it drops. Small rivers run across the the land, pooling into a lake and tumbling down in a thin, sparkling waterfall.


I can tell from the length of time it took that the stretch of land isn't very large. I stare down at the cove, eyes flitting back to the forests before looking back at Veradis. She seems to know what I'm thinking, and I climb on to her back with ease, as if I had done it a hundred times. 


The feeling of wind in my face is exhilarating, a wave of euphoria crashing over me. I've never flown before, even though my Element is wind. I've only controlled it to bring me objects, like a book. But I've never done this. 


We soar over the forests and rivers. My eyes narrow as my eyes fall on another section of land far off in the distance. It seems to be a building- a temple, of sorts. Sunlight reflects off a large circle of mirrors in the center, causing a dancing fire to spring to life between the columns.


That area is centered around fire, as the cliff was wind. Could there be a different area for each of the Five Elementals? Would my powers be strongest back on the cliff? 


"Let's go back," I say to Veradis, eyeing the building before we glide back to the cliff. I direct her to the cove, and I jump off of her back as soon as we land.


Veradis enters the darkness first, and I follow her into the tunnel. The light is soon swallowed, and I look back at the sky once more before I am, too.


******************


If I can kill them all, then I can end it. I can kill them, then the people who started this death trap. Everyone except for her. I wish there were other options, but there aren't.


"Shh, it's okay." I whispered as Seridian began to look around wildly and claw at the ground. He stares as I reach out to touch his dark green scales, letting out a huff of breath as I press my hand to his nose. The color reminds me of Forane's crest. It hurts to think of home, so I don't. Instead, I focus my mind on her. 


I've seen her with Luke Castor, who seems to have gained her trust. For Eriene's sake, I hope he wasn't deceiving her. Used correctly, her power could be used to end whatever the Dragon Races has become. 


******************


It's dark, but the cracks in the stone allow me to see well enough. We travel down the twisting tunnel, continuing until it branches into a central chamber. I lift my hands as I hear the scuffle of footsteps. Veradis crouches, her growl echoing through the cave. 


I suddenly hear the pleads of children, people no older than my brother. I hear something that sounds like a gunshot, and then screams. 


"What happened here?" I whisper, walking deeper into the cavern. Veradis follows, her tail swishing back and forth. 


"Consider that a warning." A voice hissed, the outline of a tall figure materializing then vanishing next to me. Whatever it is, I need to see it. I can't explain the feeling, but this place wants me to see. 


I close my eyes as if it was an instinct, then open them again. People fill the cave as white sweeps through. The fallen columns around the border appear standing. And people appear one by one, washed through like ghosts.  


There are white-coats, a few who look like nobles, and children. The youngest looks around six, while the oldest appears to be eighteen. I jump as a figure walks straight through me, their misty body passing straight through. 


"Again." the person orders, appearance becoming more detailed as they spoke. It was a middle-aged woman, with graying black hair and cold eyes. She glared as the teen in the center did nothing. "Again." she repeated, walking towards them. The teen didn't move. The woman sighed, clicking a button on the device she held. 


High pitched screams echoed through the cavern, eventually ceasing.


I walked forward, somehow unable to look away. It was horrifying and made me feel sick. But I needed to watch. 


The girl looked up at her through tear-filled eyes, looking away as she raised her hand, pale skin shifting to a claw. 


Scales crawl up her arm, and she screamed again as her body changed. It morphed into a creature with a striking resemblance to the one next to me. 


I pressed myself against Veradis as she let out a small whimper. "It's not real." I whispered, unsure if it was to soothe her or myself.


One moment passed. Then two. Three. 


The dragon then crumbled to the ground, shifting back into the form of a trembling, blonde-haired girl. 


The woman stared at her device, examining the holographic screen for a moment before looking back at the girl. "I expected more from you." she said with a shake of her head, snapping the device shut as the screen vanished. 


The girl glared, teeth clenched as she prepared to lunge. Another person held her back, struggling against her as the girl clawed at their arms. She stilled, falling limp. The woman narrowed her eyes, walking over to the girl. The other person moved back as she knelt. 


She lifted the blonde girl's chin and smiled as a tear traveled the length of her face. "Remember, Althea. You're supposed to be dead."

January 07, 2021 03:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

413 comments

Yay! Part 10 of TDR was great! Loved it! :)

Reply

Mira Caplan
14:37 Jan 07, 2021

Thank you!!! Did you watch the plot twist??? And do you recognize the blonde girl from Part 7???

Reply

Of course! How could I not! The Blonde girl from Part 7 was such a great character to add in the 10th part! Amazing plot twist by the way...

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:04 Jan 07, 2021

Thank you!!!!!!! :) Her name's Althea. Everlys with be the main character for Part 11, at least for part of it. There will be many, MANY more plot twists that I think you'll thoroughly enjoy.

Reply

Oh my!! I surely do think I will! Also, oh!! I remember Althea! (Sorry, for some reason I remember so many character names in Reedsy and in normal books, so I kind of forgot!!)

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:28 Jan 07, 2021

Yesss, Everlys's sister!!! (It's fiiine!)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
17:28 Jan 07, 2021

hi. you need to spam waaaaaaayyyyyy more than that

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
17:28 Jan 07, 2021

LIke don;t spam it all at once or else i'll get overwhelmed... but spam 50 posts per new thread

Reply

Show 0 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
17:29 Jan 07, 2021

Spam 50 in reply to this

Reply

Show 0 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
17:29 Jan 07, 2021

Spam 50 in reply to this

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:35 Jan 07, 2021

okkkk

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
17:35 Jan 07, 2021

okkkk

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
17:35 Jan 07, 2021

okkkk

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:37 Jan 07, 2021

is this enough???

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
17:37 Jan 07, 2021

is this enough???

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
18:52 Jan 07, 2021

no. see my other comments? spam 50 in reply to EACH of them

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 43 replies
Show 6 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
14:28 Jan 07, 2021

I LOVE ITTTTTTTT the climatic buildup was amazing! so glad that the races have started! but whos althea? Keep writing!

Reply

Mira Caplan
14:28 Jan 07, 2021

Remember her from part 7????????????

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
14:29 Jan 07, 2021

errrr....... going there

Reply

Mira Caplan
14:30 Jan 07, 2021

SHE'S AT THE END OF PART 7 KINDA!!!!!!! You just gotta think. "The blonde girl." WHO ELSE DID I CALL THAT????????

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
14:32 Jan 07, 2021

the tortured girl and the medic doesn't want her hurt I remember!

Reply

Mira Caplan
14:33 Jan 07, 2021

NO NO NO READ THE END OF PART 7

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
03:15 Jan 07, 2021

Good gravy Whattttttt a plot twist Great job as always Mira !!! Reading through again for critiques

Reply

Mira Caplan
03:16 Jan 07, 2021

Thank you, thank you. (But like seriously, thank you. AnD dO yOu ReMeMbEr AlThEa FrOm pArT 7???????????????)

Reply

Nainika Gupta
03:17 Jan 07, 2021

Of course, fellow Mallow founder 🥰 And LE GASP THATS WHY SHES FREAKFRACKING FAMILIAR GOOD GRAVY GOLLY GEE WHIZ THIS IS A MOTHER OF CLIFFHANGERS

Reply

Mira Caplan
03:18 Jan 07, 2021

YES!!!!!! ALTHEA, EVERLYS'S YOUNGER SISTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE. ISN'T> DEAD> AND NEITHER IS ALTAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
03:21 Jan 07, 2021

Oh. My. Dear. Lord.

Reply

Mira Caplan
03:22 Jan 07, 2021

Yep.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
03:22 Jan 07, 2021

Yep.

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
05:43 Mar 10, 2021

wut...THAT ENDING...it makes sense in a way, but not in another....

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:00 Mar 10, 2021

EHEHEEEEEEEE!!! Remember Althea?????????

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
13:00 Mar 10, 2021

EHEHEEEEEEEE!!! Remember Althea?????????

Reply

TJ Squared
15:11 Mar 10, 2021

kinda sorta maybe?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
TJ Squared
05:36 Mar 10, 2021

I CANNOT HOLD THIS BACK ANYMORE!!! I, Lone Wolf (Tiffany), hereby give you the virtual award entitled to you, Mira Caplan, The Detail Master. Congratulations! This hereby makes you one of my favorite authors on Reedsy!  :)))))))))))))))))))))))))0

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:00 Mar 10, 2021

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT???? OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG THANKS YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
13:00 Mar 10, 2021

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT???? OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG THANKS YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

TJ Squared
15:11 Mar 10, 2021

your welcome :DDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Kristin Neubauer
15:26 Jan 09, 2021

What a twist!

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:26 Jan 09, 2021

I'm glad you liked it!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
15:26 Jan 09, 2021

I'm glad you liked it!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Riddhi Shedge
02:32 Jan 08, 2021

Hey! I apologize if this comes off as desperate or annoying, but I keep getting downvoting like almost every single day. It's getting weird and kind of annoying at this point, so I was wondering if I could be upvoted or anything? It's totally fine if you're busy, and thank you :) -A fellow Marshmello, Riddhi

Reply

Mira Caplan
02:43 Jan 08, 2021

NO IT'S FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am on my way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Riddhi Shedge
03:48 Jan 08, 2021

Thank you so so so much! I really appreciate it :D

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:21 Jan 08, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
13:21 Jan 08, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
02:43 Jan 08, 2021

NO IT'S FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am on my way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
. .
12:53 Jan 07, 2021

GASP!! I HAVE MANY CRITIQUES!! First, you need to say that you're switching POV even if you don't want to tell us which one. Also, you repeated her saying that she doesn't know whether Eriene's an ally or not, maybe shift to a different message after one time.

Reply

Mira Caplan
12:59 Jan 07, 2021

OK UNDERSTOOD. (Yeah, I was actually gonna fix that, and have been trying to figure out what the heck to change it to. XD) WHAT ELSE???

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
12:59 Jan 07, 2021

OK UNDERSTOOD. (Yeah, I was actually gonna fix that, and have been trying to figure out what the heck to change it to. XD) WHAT ELSE???

Reply

. .
13:01 Jan 07, 2021

I would make the setting clearer and the voices clearer because those are confusing.

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:02 Jan 07, 2021

Cleared up the POV thing, I think. Setting clearer as in...describe it?

Reply

. .
13:04 Jan 07, 2021

Yes!! Also, I created the basis for my new language yayyyyyyyyyyyyy

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:07 Jan 07, 2021

NIIIIICCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEee

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
13:02 Jan 07, 2021

Cleared up the POV thing, I think. Setting clearer as in...describe it?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

MIRA YOU GOT ME TO MY FIRST 1000 POINTS

Reply

Mira Caplan
12:58 Jan 07, 2021

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
12:58 Jan 07, 2021

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Mira Caplan
03:53 Jan 07, 2021

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!! I wrote it in like 2 hours XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
03:53 Jan 07, 2021

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!! I wrote it in like 2 hours XD

Reply

Mira Caplan
03:58 Jan 07, 2021

Do you remember Althea???

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
<inactive> .
16:30 Mar 01, 2021

OMGGGG WAIT ISNT THAT EVERLYS' SISTER?????? OMG THE POOR THING THE DRAGONS ARE ALL THE DEAD PEOPLE?????

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:34 Mar 01, 2021

YES IT iSSSSSSSSSS!!!! YOU CAUGHT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Uhm....kinda. The "dead" people, yeah. But not all, only some.

Reply

<inactive> .
16:41 Mar 01, 2021

The ones with the shape shifting powers specifically??

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:45 Mar 01, 2021

The Shifters, yeah. It gets clearer as your read on.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
16:45 Mar 01, 2021

The Shifters, yeah. It gets clearer as your read on.

Reply

<inactive> .
16:47 Mar 01, 2021

Ok!! On part 14 btw!

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:48 Mar 01, 2021

GASP!!! Yaaaaaaaaaay!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
16:48 Mar 01, 2021

GASP!!! Yaaaaaaaaaay!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
16:34 Mar 01, 2021

YES IT iSSSSSSSSSS!!!! YOU CAUGHT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Uhm....kinda. The "dead" people, yeah. But not all, only some.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Sunny 🌼
18:09 Jan 09, 2021

WAIT WHAT?! THE DRAGONS ARE ACTUALLY PEOPLE?! I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:30 Jan 09, 2021

XDDD You'll seeeeeeeee!!! And not ALL of them are...

Reply

Sunny 🌼
19:31 Jan 09, 2021

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! *screams in appreciation, admiration, and confusion*

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:32 Jan 09, 2021

XDDDDDDDDD YOU'LL SEE!!!!!! Lil clue: Raya SHOULD be royalty. Her mother should be queen. Her mother is more powerful than Queen Trisandra Loire. Altair is alive, and so is Althea. They were both in the races. CONCLUSION?????

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
19:32 Jan 09, 2021

XDDDDDDDDD YOU'LL SEE!!!!!! Lil clue: Raya SHOULD be royalty. Her mother should be queen. Her mother is more powerful than Queen Trisandra Loire. Altair is alive, and so is Althea. They were both in the races. CONCLUSION?????

Reply

Sunny 🌼
19:35 Jan 09, 2021

Hooooooooooooo-ly shiz! You've really thought this story through huh? It's impressive. ALSO HOLY CRAP THEY'RE ALIVE TOO! Part 12 couldn't come sooner!

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:37 Jan 09, 2021

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD There's more, don't worry. I'd give a spoiler, but.....I'm afraid you'll freak out if I do....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
19:37 Jan 09, 2021

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD There's more, don't worry. I'd give a spoiler, but.....I'm afraid you'll freak out if I do....

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey, Mir, can you tell me your character’s: Hair: Eyes; Clothes they wear all the time: Personality: Fav color:

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:59 Jan 08, 2021

Hair: Wavy, black hair that reaches my mid-back with the tips dyed dark blue. It's usually in some type of braid. (Like, Denaerys Targaryan hair. I can't spell, I'm sorry) Eyes: Dark brown, almost black eyes, Skin tone: Medium brown/olive. Clothing: A plain shirt in a dark color, with some type of cloak of jacket. Plain black leggings, and black combat boots. Personality: Quiet, unless around people she knows where she speaks her mind and is often joking around. She can be serious, though, and is very attentive and notices things othe...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
16:59 Jan 08, 2021

Hair: Wavy, black hair that reaches my mid-back with the tips dyed dark blue. It's usually in some type of braid. (Like, Denaerys Targaryan hair. I can't spell, I'm sorry) Eyes: Dark brown, almost black eyes, Skin tone: Medium brown/olive. Clothing: A plain shirt in a dark color, with some type of cloak of jacket. Plain black leggings, and black combat boots. Personality: Quiet, unless around people she knows where she speaks her mind and is often joking around. She can be serious, though, and is very attentive and notices things othe...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
16:59 Jan 08, 2021

Hair: Wavy, black hair that reaches my mid-back with the tips dyed dark blue. It's usually in some type of braid. (Like, Denaerys Targaryan hair. I can't spell, I'm sorry) Eyes: Dark brown, almost black eyes, Skin tone: Medium brown/olive. Clothing: A plain shirt in a dark color, with some type of cloak of jacket. Plain black leggings, and black combat boots. Personality: Quiet, unless around people she knows where she speaks her mind and is often joking around. She can be serious, though, and is very attentive and notices things othe...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
21:04 Jan 07, 2021

It looks like thou will be at 7000 tonight!

Reply

Mira Caplan
21:04 Jan 07, 2021

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
21:04 Jan 07, 2021

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Kate Reynolds
13:21 Jan 07, 2021

OMG THAT CLIFFHANGERRRRR But those descriptions were SO GOODDDDDDDD I could imagine it!!!!!! I also loved how you switched to another POV. Great job! :D

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:24 Jan 07, 2021

EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKK THANK YOU!!!!! (Do you remember Althea from Part 7??????????????????/)

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:26 Jan 07, 2021

YEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! OFC!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:27 Jan 07, 2021

YEASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, she isn't dead. Altair isn't dead. Nepthys isn't dead. (Because she...won.) And she also turned into a dragon... JUST FIT THE PIECES TOGETHER

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:31 Jan 07, 2021

OMG THAT IS SUCH A GOOD TWISTTTTTTTT

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
13:31 Jan 07, 2021

OMG THAT IS SUCH A GOOD TWISTTTTTTTT

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:32 Jan 07, 2021

It only gets BETTERRRRRR

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
03:08 Jan 09, 2021

NEW STORYYY (I will check yours out ASAP!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.