Spin like the Lilies (Part 2/2)

Submitted into Contest #57 in response to: Write a story about someone breaking a long family tradition.... view prompt

94 comments

Romance Lesbian LGBTQ+

Author’s note- All songs here were written by yours truly! Hope you enjoy! My personal favorite song that I have ever written is Spin Like The Lilies which is what inspired this story’s two parts.

I, Merielle Olympe, am a troublemaker.

I have gotten in detention three hundred and seventeen times in my whole school career, have been evicted out of classrooms at least five times a year, and have broken thousands of rules while cheerfully jamming to Blackout on my prized headphones.

Yet, there’s always been one rule that I didn’t break. A rule that I- never considered I could break.

To let you understand the gravity of this rule, I shall share an old memory.

It was barely six months after we had migrated from Asia to England. I had a hard time making friends, but the neighbor’s kid didn’t mind me much, so I asked her to play dolls with me one afternoon. I had two Barbie dolls but no Kens. I was five years old, and all for what I knew, the world really was flat, and if my mom didn’t buy it for me, it didn’t exist.

So, we were playing with the Barbies. We were playing a romance story for some reason, and there came a kiss scene. The neighbor’s kid just gave up at that point and dropped the Barbie.

I picked it up and made it kiss the other one, and was immediately greeted by ‘Gross! Girls can’t kiss girls!’.

That was the first time I realized that the world really wasn’t fair. For the next twelve years, I went to sleep thinking about why girls couldn’t like girls.

And that’s the rule I never dared to break in my family.

The Olympes had drilled this into me from the moment I dared to question it.

Of course, this all changed when a certain songbird entered my life.

**

The girl who sat in front of me in Geography always fascinated me. Her hands were always moving, her yellow notebook was so precious to her, and I ended up somewhat stalking her, because her songs are really good. One day, however, she showed up without it.

My first thought- ‘That’s not good.’

I tore off a sheet of paper from the back of my own notebook just in case she asked. When the hawk-like teacher was done inspecting the rows ahead of us, she started fidgeting really badly. I got the general vibe.

I fidgeted like that too, when I have an idea that I can’t transcribe into GarageBand right away. So I passed on the paper to her and she mouthed ‘Thank you’.

And then the rest is history.

**

Eli is honestly really good with words. Even though it seems like I am the extroverted one and she the introvert, it’s kind of the opposite. Her words just impact a lot more than mine. That’s why I used to think I was better off silent.

Yes, before. Eli told me that my words as just as good as my music, and that I should use them more often. And here I am. Sharing my music with my words.

Of course, Eli’s much better at it. One interesting thing I noticed it that she calls me Rai and I call her Eli. Those are boys’ names, are they not? Well, I’m glad to be different.

**

Eli writes a lot of songs. This is my favorite-

The Lantern

As I walk along these desolate sands,

I notice not everything’s enshrouded

by the night.

A little lonely light,

Trying it’s best to burn bright.

It’s just a lonely lantern,

Then why does it fill me with hope?

A gust of the wind,

Would extinguish it.

But I can’t help seeing myself

in that lonely lantern.

It moves farther away…

Please don’t go!

You’re the only comfort I know…

So I’ll keep on running

Towards the light.

This is by far, her most famous song. And who can blame them? It’s a really good song.

**

Fast forward a bit, and we’re now in tenth grade. By now, literally everyone in class is dating someone. Apart from me and Eli. But even Eli’s been acting weirdly. Hmm. cOnSPiRaCy.

We’ve copyrighted five songs! So Eli and I are going skydiving. Of course, my family objected immediately, but I can tell how much it would mean to Eli, so I’m going to ignore them.

We’re at the center now. There are barely any people there, so we’re feeling like VIPs for getting suited up in less than half an hour. My stomach is tingling, like the feeling you get right before you get on a steep rollercoaster.

Like you might regret it but you know you won’t in the end.

The plane awaits!

I’m kind of worried about Eli. She’s very fidgety and I have no idea what’s wrong. Maybe she’s just excited?

Maybe. But she also looks worried, like she’s afraid of something. I place my hand on hers and she seems to calm down.

Wooo, go best friend power!

**

The plane is blue. I think it’s funny because it reminds me of a dodo for some reason. The butterflies in my stomach are hawks now, tearing me in excitement. I’m feeling giggly, like someone invisible is tickling me. My enthusiasm is contagious, and I think Eli is feeling better.

In no time at all, it’s time for us to jump. Eli’s face is a bit white, so I hold her hand and jump.

And. Oh. My. God.

For a second, it was like time was standing still. Eli and I were holding hands, hair flapping in the wind. And then- the moment passed, and my stomach jolted as we fell.

**

“Mirai!!”

“Huh?!”

I did not expect the air to be so loud. I leaned closer to Eli so I could hear her properly.

“Merielle Olympe, do you-”

“What the penguin, Eli?!”

“LISTEN! Do you promise to be by my side forever? And ever?”

Silence. I can almost hear the proposal.

Something I thought I would never hear.

“Eli- what are you asking?”

“Will you be my girlfriend, Mirai?”

“OF COURSE, YOU IDIOT! WHY DID IT TAKE YOU SO LONG TO ASK?!”

And that’s how we fell. Hand in hand, and we released our parachutes together.

We really will spin like the lilies,

Hand in hand.

Forever and ever.

I’ll gaze up at the stars,

When we are apart,

Because I know you’ll be looking at them too.

September 02, 2020 09:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

94 comments

Sia S
15:02 Sep 12, 2020

Hi Priyamveda would you mind checking out my two new stories the latest one is horror and thriller and the older one is about friends and fantasy thank you so much !!! by the way upvote spree?

Reply

<inactive> .
04:27 Sep 13, 2020

Hey I'm sorry, I'll try to, but the new school week starts today so yeah ;-;

Reply

Sia S
05:35 Sep 13, 2020

Okay!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:45 Sep 16, 2020

Beautiful story, Priyamvada!

Reply

<inactive> .
04:25 Sep 16, 2020

Thank you so much for your kind words, Catarina! Welcome to Reedsy, I'm sure you'll love our community!

Reply

11:22 Sep 16, 2020

Teheheh. I already do! Hint: arkaflarfle.

Reply

<inactive> .
18:01 Sep 16, 2020

Oh no

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
09:27 Oct 31, 2020

Sup?

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:21 Oct 02, 2020

EEEEE I loved Part 2!!

Reply

<inactive> .
06:42 Oct 02, 2020

Thank you so much for your kind words! I hope I can continue to fulfill your expectations :)

Reply

16:53 Oct 02, 2020

You're a very talented writer! Keep it up!

Reply

<inactive> .
05:23 Oct 03, 2020

:D <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
13:04 Sep 08, 2020

Wowww, its lovely ! That proposal was sooo cute !!!!!

Reply

<inactive> .
04:32 Sep 09, 2020

Thanks so much, Sia! I know right! And here I thought that skydiving wasn't really romantic at all > o <

Reply

Sia S
04:35 Sep 09, 2020

XD XD

Reply

<inactive> .
04:37 Sep 09, 2020

^ - ^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
<inactive> .
04:32 Sep 06, 2020

GUYSS I HAVE 500+ POINTS!! Tysm everyone!

Reply

Show 0 replies
<inactive> .
09:50 Sep 02, 2020

Special dedication- to my best friend, who’s been by my side throughout sunny weather and storms, and is the inspiration for Mirai. Even though it seems like it has nothing to do with the story, it’s actually a tribute to the fact that someone will go to sleep tonight, and won’t wake up tomorrow. My advice is- Live every day like it’s your last. You woke up today, of all days, for a reason. That way, once your time comes, you can be proud that you at least attempted to live life to its fullest.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
16:24 Feb 27, 2021

I SHIP THEMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!! Lotssss!!!

Reply

<inactive> .
16:35 Feb 27, 2021

YES ME TOO 👉👈

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:35 Feb 27, 2021

YEEEEEEEEEEE!!! (I LOVE shipping people XD)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
19:35 Feb 27, 2021

YEEEEEEEEEEE!!! (I LOVE shipping people XD)

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:35 Feb 27, 2021

Like, fictional characters, lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
19:35 Feb 27, 2021

Like, fictional characters, lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
14:30 Oct 21, 2020

Hiya! Crush Crisis part. 2 out!!

Reply

<inactive> .
14:59 Oct 21, 2020

oh cool

Reply

Sia S
15:22 Oct 21, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
14:18 Oct 07, 2020

New story out! Its Fantasy!

Reply

<inactive> .
18:07 Oct 07, 2020

Oooooo nice! I'll check it out!

Reply

Sia S
02:28 Oct 08, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:36 Sep 25, 2020

Hey, Priyamvada would you be kind to watch the first video it's on Harry potter. https://youtu.be/KxfnREWgN14 Sorry for asking your time, This my first time to edit video

Reply

<inactive> .
09:21 Sep 25, 2020

Of course, welcome to the YouTube family!

Reply

Show 0 replies
<inactive> .
09:24 Sep 25, 2020

Ok so I watched it and I think it's awesome! Also, I hope you don't mind me asking- what sort of content are you going to make on your channel? On my channel, I restrict it to memes, short skits/stories, and art. It might help you expand your channel if you figure out your content first. Naturally, I wish you the best of luck on your YouTube journey! If you need any advice or anything about it, I'm open.

Reply

14:17 Sep 25, 2020

Yup, My content is simple to take different songs and clip them together for better effect only harry potter MMV

Reply

<inactive> .
10:57 Sep 26, 2020

Hmm... you might want to expand to short "memes" What I mean basically is a short edit of clips tuned to funny music. I mean funny music like you could put a 'triggered' sign and sound every time Draco says, "MY FATHER WILL HEAR ABOUT THIS!!" Of course, this is just a suggestion. I just think Harry Potter edited clips are hilarious.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:17 Sep 25, 2020

Yes, I would ask for help early or later

Reply

<inactive> .
10:57 Sep 26, 2020

Cool ig

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Amaya .
19:18 Sep 23, 2020

cherry bomb

Reply

21:42 Sep 23, 2020

Lol wut

Reply

Amaya .
21:45 Sep 23, 2020

oh nvm you definetely did

Reply

22:10 Sep 23, 2020

😄

Reply

Amaya .
22:11 Sep 23, 2020

do you want me to upvote this account? because before I did a different one. I can do this one too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amaya .
22:30 Sep 23, 2020

kymala? do you want me to upvote this account? because before I did a different one. Do you want to do an upvote for upvote again, but I'll do it on this account this time?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
21:43 Sep 23, 2020

haha its a code word, read her bio

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amaya .
21:44 Sep 23, 2020

also I upvoted I think 100, did you do it for me?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
<inactive> .
04:33 Sep 24, 2020

One sec I'll drop you a comment with my other account, also you said in your bio that your name was Amaya AND OML I don't like my name that much and kept a list of names I could've been named and Amaya is literally in first place. Wow I sound like such a nerd

Reply

Amaya .
21:04 Nov 11, 2020

okay so for some reason I came across this comment thread and I just wanted to say: I love your name! It's beautiful, and has a TON of good nickname opportunities. it means sweet-spoken, which is so amazing. love your name! its beautiful, and I really don't understand why you would wish for another one <3

Reply

<inactive> .
04:57 Nov 16, 2020

Aww, thanks! I just feel like it's too long, and most people pronounce it wrong. That's why I'm more comfortable with Priya. I don't wish that I have another name anymore because I just realize how well it describes me. I'm not sassy at all, and according to a quiz, my fatal flaw is wanting everyone to get along, and even sacrificing myself for peace (this is so true). Thanks so much for your kind words, it really means a lot to me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
15:32 Sep 24, 2020

Okay, so basically, my name isn't actually Amaya, it's just the pen name that I'm using for reedsy. My parents were either going to name me Amaya or my real name, and they chose my real name (of course lol) and I use Amaya for things like this. So for names that I could've been named, Amaya is in first place for me too! Also, I have a close family friend named Priya!

Reply

<inactive> .
09:20 Sep 25, 2020

Oh that's cool! Sorry if I made you uncomfortable ' ^ '

Reply

Amaya .
16:48 Sep 25, 2020

why would you have made me uncomfortable? You didn't do anything, dw!

Reply

<inactive> .
11:01 Sep 26, 2020

Thanks so much! Uhh I think it's an Asian parent thing... idk Some people do get offended if you ask for their name online, whether it's indirect or direct so I just wanted to apologize if I offended you or made you uncomfortable because for all you know, I could've been a creepy internet guy! You really should be more careful about stuff like that...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Zea Bowman
01:49 Sep 22, 2020

Wow! I was truly captivated by this story! Your descriptions were amazing, and the words seemed to flow together. You really have a knack for writing! Could you please come read a story (or stories) of mine? Thanks! Keep up the good work! :)

Reply

<inactive> .
06:14 Sep 22, 2020

Thanks so much, you're too kind :D Of course, I'll be sure to check them out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mila Van Niekerk
06:19 Sep 16, 2020

wow, That was soo cute! 😊😊😍 I would NEVER be able to break all those rules. Also I'm terrified of going skydiving...😶 You said you wrote the song in your story yourself; and I really like it! Do you write songs regularly? 'Cuz me and Jn park both do, and are trying to figure out how we're going to listen to each other's songs, even though we could e on other sides of the planet for all we know. I saw in our bio that you have a youtube channel and 17 subscribers. What's your channel about? Is it like gaming/reacting/ challenges/art videos/ ...

Reply

<inactive> .
06:38 Sep 16, 2020

Aww, thanks! I actually have always wanted to go skydiving, but haven't yet. Yeah, I guess I write songs regularly? I've almost finished an entire notebook, and yes it is a yellow notebook 😊 I actually share my channel with my best friend and we both draw and make memes and stuff like that. I just updated that- we're on 20 subs now! Aww, I'm sorry! I've only just met you so I can't tell you I'm allowed to share the channel with people on Reedsy as long as I know them on a basis. Like how I know Aerin and Celeste, so I can share it with ...

Reply

Mila Van Niekerk
06:44 Sep 16, 2020

Oh, cool! I have a notebook with songs too, but a ton of other stuff written in it as well; I simply cannot dedicate a piece of paper to one thing only. So I take notes, doodle and downright study in the same journal. It's fine about the channel, and congrats on the 20 subs! I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to start my own channel and I'm going to ask my mum if she'll allow me to next year. But untill than, I'll stick to writing and replying on reedsy! 😀

Reply

<inactive> .
06:59 Sep 16, 2020

If you want to make a channel, I recommend deciding your content first so you can be prepared. Your parents only want what's best for you, so try playing the 'if I get a channel then it would be handy on my college profile as a young entrepreneur' card. Even if they say no, respect their decision and try again once they are in a better mood. Also, give them time to decide. You will look mature if you are willing to wait for an answer, which also helps your case. I already tried all of this, and it works!

Reply

Mila Van Niekerk
07:34 Sep 16, 2020

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I know my parents want what's best for me. (my sister asked for one even though she's younger than me, but she was being a pest about it and complained when they said no.So I'm going to wait a bit... since I haven't asked them myself yet.😁 Another tip : get the pursuasive sibling to ask😂

Reply

<inactive> .
07:54 Sep 16, 2020

lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
05:34 Sep 16, 2020

Good story.Great job keep it up. Would you mind to read my story “The dragon warrior part 2?”

Reply

<inactive> .
05:50 Sep 16, 2020

tank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rhondalise Mitza
14:49 Sep 13, 2020

Priyamvada, here is your formal invitation my pirate crew. (I love your stories so much, by the way! Very cute and fun and sometime spooky but overall your style is just spot on, man, spot on) So, join us? :)

Reply

<inactive> .
16:14 Sep 13, 2020

OF COURSE YES OML THIS IS SUCH A BIG HONOUR :D Thanks so much for your kind words, it means so much to me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rhondalise Mitza
14:49 Sep 13, 2020

Also I love your name. It reminds me of the word in Spanish "primavera" which is spring.

Reply

<inactive> .
16:19 Sep 13, 2020

Aww thanks so much! I think your name is a really unique one too, it reminds me of this flower called a roselle. Your name gives off a really pretty vibe! (I know this because roselles grow in my garden hehe)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Amany Sayed
12:25 Sep 11, 2020

WE DOOOO MISS YOUUUUU COME BACKKKKKKKK

Reply

<inactive> .
15:08 Sep 11, 2020

Aaaa someone noticedddd Thanks so much for the moral support, I've been feeling down lately because school reminded me of just how many friends I have (three). But seriously, it means a lot. I think I might be able to give out more than one story this week! :)

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:11 Sep 11, 2020

No problem! Yeah, I feel ya, but 3 close friends is betta than 100 fake ones! Yay!

Reply

<inactive> .
15:12 Sep 11, 2020

:) Thanks! Check my bio ^ - ^

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:14 Sep 11, 2020

Aw, thank you, glad I cheered you up :D

Reply

<inactive> .
15:15 Sep 11, 2020

:D I'm going on an upvoting spree of you, get ready for some more points!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

AHHHHHHH THIS STORY IS AMAZING!!! I. Love. The. Message!!! The beginning was really good, an awesome intro to the base of the story, then everything that followed was just as great. I love Eli’s song!! And the named!! And the mid-air proposal!!! And the song clip at the end!!! I LOVED IT ALLLLLL! Check meh BIO 😏

Reply

<inactive> .
04:31 Sep 09, 2020

Aww, thanks so much! It means so much to me that you took the time to comment. Yep, the song clip at the end was my best song so far. I actually have a tune for it though! When I sat down to write this story, I wanted to have a proposal, but an unusual one, and I immediately thought of skydiving because it was the least romantic. Sorry for the long comment, it just meant a lot to me :) <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
<inactive> .
04:47 Sep 09, 2020

AYYYYYYY 20TH OF SEPTEMBERRRRR

Reply

Haha no, I actually meant that I put up your story, saying it was awesome and including a week. But, like most updates, it was only up for 24 hours, which is why you probably didn’t see it :(

Reply

<inactive> .
13:55 Sep 09, 2020

Oh that's sad, but thanks! It's the thought that counts ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Lani Lane
15:53 Sep 06, 2020

This is lovely! Enjoyed the song lyrics/poetry that made it in. Great message and great pace (the scene breaks were perfect). Nice work!!

Reply

<inactive> .
04:30 Sep 07, 2020

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed the songs, I think I might incorporate more of them in future stories. But thanks so much! This means the world to me ' U '

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
23:32 Sep 04, 2020

Wow, this was beautiful! I loved it! Great job!

Reply

<inactive> .
07:15 Sep 05, 2020

Thanks so much for reading and commenting, Avery! Also, since we're kind of friends now, could you tell me something interesting about you? Interesting thing about me- Japanese comes easier to me than English, but I make it a point to speak in English at Reedsy ^ - ^

Reply

Avery G.
21:44 Sep 05, 2020

You're welcome! Uh, I'm not really interesting, but I love reading and going outside. But, it's super hot outside right now in California

Reply

<inactive> .
04:17 Sep 06, 2020

Cool! I live in a desert, so I can relate lol Have you ever tried to step outside barefoot in the middle of July, and the sidewalk/floor would be so hot your foot felt cold for a second? And then you would be left dancing like some evil witch trying to get back inside

Reply

Avery G.
20:18 Sep 06, 2020

Lol, yeah! That happens to me ALL THE TIME!!!!

Reply

<inactive> .
04:27 Sep 07, 2020

I KNOW RIGHT?! aaaaaaaa

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.