24 comments

Contemporary Funny Mystery

[Content warning. A naughty clown and some swearing]


EXT. AERIAL SHOT: CEMETERY – NIGHT

Dense fog rolls through a decrepit cemetery, the tombstones

jutting from the earth like rotten teeth. An owl hoots in the

distance, but otherwise an otherworldly silence envelops the graveyard.




EXT. CEMETERY – NIGHT

A large black raven perches on a grey tombstone, the full moon

rising behind him. Below his grimy claws, the inscription:

Johann Herz

1966 - 2021

Son of a bitch




The TINKLING of old-timey player piano, faintly at first,

then louder. It's playing Julius Fucik's Entry of the Gladiators

(the music played at the circus).



The raven shakes his feathers, CAWS once, then takes flight.



A CLOWN cartwheels across the graves, laughing manically

as the music reaches a frenzied crescendo. (bump-bump-bump

dadda-dadda, bump-bump-bump dadda dadda)




A DWARF dressed as a cowboy rides in on a large rat. He plucks

a black ten-gallon hat off his head with one hand.




DWARF

Yippey Ki Yay!


----


Jon Hart looks up from the script to the right side of the set, toward the dwarf who’s sitting on a Saint Bernard dressed as a rodent. He waves energetically at him, gesturing that he should enter the scene, but the dwarf doesn’t move.


“Cut!” Jon yells. “Stop the fog,” he says to the man handling the dry ice. “Beckham, you missed your cue. Again.”


Beck hops off the dog and walks toward the director.


“What’s the problem this time?” Jon asks.


“It just doesn’t seem…realistic,” Beck says, tossing the cowboy hat onto a black canvas chair emblazoned with Director in white letters.


“It’s a fuckin’ dream, Beck. It’s not meant to be realistic.”


“Why do all dream scenes have to have dry ice and dwarves? I mean, how many people actually dream about dwarves?”


Jon sighs and rubs the bridge of his nose, under his black-rimmed glasses. “Beck, we’ve been over this, that’s the way it’s written. Johann is having a nightmare about being dead—”


“Yeah, yeah. I get that. But why is there a clown and a dwarf? It’s OTT, don’t you think?”


“Johann fears that everyone sees him as a fake, an unserious person. So, when you shoot Colin," he says, gesturing toward the clown, "pull off his mask, and reveal Johann’s face underneath—”


“Johann’s fears are realised.”


“Yes,” Jon says, “exactly.” 


“Okay,” Beck says, placing the hat on his head and walking back to the dog.


“And, action!”


Beck rides the rat/dog across the set, stopping at Johann's grave. Colin enters the scene, juggling plastic frogs. Beck hops off the dog and swaggers, wide-legged toward him.


“Evenin’ Pilgrim,” Beck says, tipping his hat toward the clown, before resting his right hand on the holster at his hip, “This cemetery ain’t big enough for the both of—”


“Cut!” Jon shouts. “What are you doing?”


“Improvising,” Beck says, snatching the gun from his holster and spinning it round his finger, before gripping the handle and pointing it at Colin. “There’ll be guns a-blazing and singing with lead, tonight you’ll be drinking your drink with the dead.”


“You’re lower than a toad, Joad,” Colin says flinging a frog at the cowboy’s head while keeping the rest spinning in the air. Beck dodges, but the projectile knocks his hat to the ground.


“You ruined a perfectly good hat,” Beck says, eyes narrowing. “Pow, Pow!” he says, pulling the trigger.


“Ooff. Ahh. Gah,” Colin grips his chest and falls to his knees, as the remaining frogs rain down around him.


“Stop, just stop it!” Jon bellows, slicing his hands through the air like an umpire calling safe at home base. He looks from Beck, who’s blowing imaginary smoke from the muzzle of the pistol, to Colin who’s writhing on the ground, squishing the frogs beneath his polka dot jumpsuit and mumbling 'oh, the humanity.'


“This is not improv night at the comedy club! Okay? Just follow the damn script.”


Beck shrugs. Colin stands up and brushes himself off.


“Places……and…Action!”


---


EXT. CEMETERY – NIGHT


A CLOWN cartwheels across the graves, laughing manically

as the music reaches a frenzied crescendo. (bump-bump-bump

dadda-dadda, bump-bump-bump dadda dadda)




A DWARF dressed as a cowboy rides in on a large rat. He plucks

a black ten-gallon hat off his head with one hand.




DWARF

"Yippey Ki Yay!"




The clown stops cartwheeling and pulls frogs from his voluminous

pockets, which he then begins to juggle with.




CLOWN

“Ah ha, my little friend. The puzzle pieces

leap. The grim reaper reaps. What lies

beneath?”




The dwarf lights a cigar, scratching a wooden match against

the top of Johann's tombstone, before taking a deep puff and

blowing smoke that mixes with the fog.




DWARF

“I’ve seen this all before. We may be ridin’

different horses, but we’re goin' round the

same circle.”




The JANGLING of merry-go-round music.




DWARF (CONT'D)

“We think we’re in a rat race.”




The dwarf climbs down from the rat/dog and removes the rat

mask, revealing the dog underneath.




DWARF (CONT'D)

“But we’re living in the dog house.”




CLOWN

“Dog or rat it matters not. We are all

puppets. Pull my string and see.

Hee hee hee.”


----


Colin makes a fist and then releases his index finger, pointing it toward Beck.


“No, no, no,” Jon mutters, ripping off his headphones and throwing them aside.


Colin farts loudly as Beck pulls his finger. The dog barks a few times, drool dripping onto Colin's large clown shoes.


“Cut!” Jon screams, his face reddening. “You are making a mockery of this production,” he gasps, his hand clawing at the neck of his shirt, trying to loosen it.


“That's the problem with directors these days. So uptight.” Beck and Colin say in unison as they link arms, Colin bending over to reach Beck's shorter arm. They begin stomping around in a rough circle clockwise then switch arms and continue counterclockwise. A fiddle starts to play in the background.


“Never work with animals or kids,” says Beck, “you have been told.”


“Or actors with poor impulse control,” cackles Colin.


Jon stumbles awkwardly toward them, his right arm clasping his left. He falls to his knees, gasping, unable to speak.


Beck and Colin stop square dancing and approach the Saint Bernard. They unzip the dog costume, starting at the tail and working toward the head, slowly revealing a man underneath. The last thing Jon sees, before his heart ceases to beat, is his own face smiling back at him.


---


INT. JON'S BEDROOM - DAY

The rising sun peeks through the partially-drawn

blue curtains, throwing streaks of sunlight onto

the bedspread draped over Jon.


A bedside clock ticks to 7:15, launching a melodic

alarm...bump-bump-bump dadda-dadda,

bump-bump-bump dadda dadda.











May 22, 2021 13:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Zelda C. Thorne
05:14 May 26, 2021

Hahaha I enjoyed this one, very fun. I think you have a real talent for the wacky. Nice one!

Reply

H L McQuaid
07:58 May 26, 2021

Thanks, Rachel. I might be going back to my roots, writing absurd stories. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ash Jarvis
02:26 May 26, 2021

Whew—I was reeeally worried about that “naughty clown” warning! This story has some over the top, wackadoodle images and I absolutely love them, especially Beck and his rat/dog steed. Now I have to go Google the Freudian symbolism of frogs...

Reply

H L McQuaid
08:07 May 26, 2021

Yeah, I think I overhyped the naughtiness of the clown. Anyway, I'm glad you thought it was OTT, as that's what I was going for. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
19:12 May 25, 2021

Creative, clever and hilarious. I thought there was some existential horror stuff going on at the end before I realized it was just the director waking up from a dream. A dream about staging a play about a dream. It's like another take on Inception. Clever clever clever, kudos! ;)

Reply

H L McQuaid
08:08 May 26, 2021

Hello Rayhan, I'm impressed that you figured out what was going on (I'm a little concerned that some readers may not get that 'meta' ness of this piece). And thank you for the kind words. I'm happy you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claire Lindsey
17:22 May 25, 2021

That content warning killed me 😂 I love the fever-dream vibe of this story, everything’s a little nonsensical and piecemeal but it works so well as a dream sequence. Hilarious and confusing in equal measure, with the nice, somewhat meta resolution with Jon waking up in the screenwriting format. It’s quite clever all around

Reply

H L McQuaid
07:57 May 26, 2021

Hi Claire, so glad you liked it. I know it's out there, in content and format, but I wanted to try something really different. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beth Connor
00:41 May 23, 2021

Hilarious- the naughty clown warning certainly grabbed my attention! I love how you played with a screen play in a story.

Reply

H L McQuaid
11:07 May 23, 2021

ha, hope I'm not overhyping the story with an attention-grabbing content warning. 😂 I'm reading yet another book on screenwriting, called 'Screenplay: the foundations of screenwriting' by Syd Field, and so that format and way of telling stories is front-of-mind. I was imagining what nightmares screenwriters/directors might have, especially when they're dealing with a dream scene. Glad you found it entertaining.

Reply

Beth Connor
11:18 May 23, 2021

Hey, if you have marketing skills, use them! I'm flying home today, and have Blake Snyder's "Save the Cat" all queued up on audible.

Reply

H L McQuaid
11:32 May 23, 2021

Ooh, I wonder what the experience is like with an audio version. Probably pretty good, as there aren't that many diagrams, and he uses other movies as reference points. Anyway, I hope you find it useful. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shea West
14:36 May 22, 2021

You had me laughing at the content warning😂😂😂 This was incredibly clever, holy cow! The imagery of an actual director with props and actors creating a dream scene is brilliant. I thoroughly enjoyed this. One fix- It’s a fuckin’ dream, Beck. It’s not mean to be realistic (I think you want "meant" here and not "mean"?)

Reply

H L McQuaid
14:40 May 22, 2021

Hi Shea, I did mean 'meant' not mean. ;) thank for catching that. I was hoping to induce a dream-like state in the reader (in that there's a story, but it's messed up and weird AF), but not sure I achieved it. Anyway, I'm glad you liked it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
H L McQuaid
13:10 May 22, 2021

I was struggling to think of a plot to go with the prompts, so I printed the Dramatic Situations from Mike Figgis' fine book on Screenwriting (The Thirty-Six Dramatic Situations), making a card for each situation, which I then shuffled before selecting one at random. I got Situation 19: Dream State.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ellie Yu
17:30 Jun 04, 2021

This is such a fever dream and I love it. There’s so much going on, with the clowns and the screenplay and the comical dialogue, and I think it really adds to the over the top atmosphere. It all flows really nicely too!

Reply

H L McQuaid
15:49 Jun 06, 2021

Thanks, Ellie! It was fun to write, as I've done silly before, but not OTT. Glad you thought it worked. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
08:36 Jun 02, 2021

Hello Heather, That was a fun story to read this week. I loved the dialogue exchanges and I reckon you did a great job capturing that mischievous thespian spirit. It’s so tempting to start improvising when there are lousy lines to deliver and no specific motivation. The repeated motif of the alarm clock noise was a lovely touch. Who hasn’t woken up to a noise that’s been present in a dream? That sold the whole idea for me. Well done. I trust you’re well and look forward to your next piece. Howard :)

Reply

H L McQuaid
15:02 Jun 03, 2021

Hi Howard! Nice to hear from you. This week has been full-on, so I probably won't get a story out, but I'm hoping to catch up on the stories I've not read yet, including yours! Thanks so much for the feedback, it's a weird story, but I challenged myself to try a 'dramatic situation' i've not done before. :)

Reply

Howard Halsall
15:07 Jun 03, 2021

Hi Heather! Great to hear from you too. I trust all is well in your neck of the woods? Howard :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cathryn V
19:45 May 31, 2021

definitely whacky! this reminds me a little of the essay workshop i’m taking. we are reading the dozens of essay formats. basically anything goes!

Reply

H L McQuaid
09:34 Jun 01, 2021

Yeah, it was fun to write--trying to come up with a bizarre dream--and it turned out pretty weird, haha. I still have 35 dramatic situations to try, so maybe I'll challenge myself to another lucky dip this week. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
19:29 May 30, 2021

I LOVE IT! Poor Jon! LOL!

Reply

H L McQuaid
09:34 Jun 01, 2021

He's having a rough night, for sure. :0 :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.