Shape-Shifter Squad

Submitted into Contest #55 in response to: Write a story about a meeting of a secret society.... view prompt

207 comments

Mystery Funny Fantasy


“IIIIII HATE HIM!”


Crash.


“HE’S A JERK!”


Bang.


“I HOPE HE FALLS INTO A HOLE AND DIES!”


Smash.


“AARRRRRRRRRRGH!”


I hurl my fist down on one more hollow wooden sphere and smile at the extremely loud but totally satisfying CRASH. My brows pinched with fury, I throw the remains of the ball down and stomp around the counselor’s office. As I survey the wreckage, the anger drains away and I slump into the sofa.


“Ughhh,” I moan as I smush my face into a decorative pillow. 


“Au….Audrey? Are you all right?” A warm voice calls from above me.


“Leave me alone, Sienna. Please.”


“Okay, Audie. I’ll be outside if you need me.”


I hear the young Aussie counselor’s soft footsteps as she pads out of the room. When I hear the bang of the door shutting, I swallow and roll off the sofa.


I groan as I glance around again at everything I have to clean.


I have to go to Sienna’s office every Thursday, but it’s actually not that bad. She has a large room full of pastel colors and squishy things like bean bag chairs, a shag rug, and a sofa. She’s unlike most counselors, though—she doesn’t try to take through it with her kind voice and smooth words. 


Nope: like all counselors, she says I shouldn’t keep my anger ‘bottled up inside’, but she doesn’t get rid of it by emotion-y conversations. She buys, on money my family gives her for this purpose, dozens of spheres of break-away wood so I can smash to my heart’s content.


It’s all because of Tyler. The booger. He’s in my same grade—10th—but acts like he has a millennia of being-rude experience. He’s the definition of sucky to pretty much everyone, hurting with words, hurting with fists, hurting any way he can. I don’t just hate him for that—I hate him because he likes fighting. He starts arguments and brawls for no reason but the fun of it. We’re pretty much enemies, even though I’m just another victim to him.


I’m tough, but inwardly tough. I’m not big and strong or anything, because I spend my days painting in my room. I don’t have any brute strength, although I'm light on my feet and flexible. Anyways, I’m hardly affected by Tyler at all—his insults don’t hurt me as much as he thinks they do. But I still hate him, him as a person. Sadly, I’m powerless so far, so all I can do is sit and watch.


(Oh, and smash wooden balls. It’s very satisfying, especially if I imagine they’re Tyler.


SMAAAASH. Take that, butthead!)


Even though Tyler doesn’t affect me, I’m still stuck in the counselor's office weekly after lunch. We talk, I smash some stuff, we may talk a little more, and I definitely destroy a couple more spheres. 


Sienna is barely ten years older than me, and I classify her as my friend. While she’s different from other counselors, with her understanding of getting anger out physically, she doesn’t approve of violence—meaning, sadly, I’m not allowed to draw Tyler’s face on a ball and punch it.


At least I can still imagine, but ugh. Seriously, Sienna?


My gaze travels to the clock. It’s almost one pm—meaning the end of the counseling block of Thursday’s and back to math—where Tyler the math whiz will be bragging louder than a chainsaw.


“Sienna? Can you come back?”


I can almost hear her smile from behind the wall. The doorknob twists and my counselor walks into her office. 


Any time Sienna enters a room, I feel like birds should start singing and woodland creatures should gather around her feet. Sienna is super kind and with her long, auburn hair, ocean eyes, and colorful clothes, she could definitely pass for a modern-day Disney princess.


“Yeah, Audrey?” Her Aussie accent flows over me and I grin. I wish I had that voice.


“Mind helping me clean up?”


She laughs. “I’m paid to do this, so sure.”


We start to gather up the pieces of broken balls and dump them into a trash bag. The balls are so small and we buy them in such large quantities that it’s around a hundred dollars per school year for them. My mom thought it was outrageous at first, but after three years of counseling, she’s at least seeing how awesome and useful to me they are.


By the time we’re done, it’s the end of counseling practice. I really don’t want to go back to class, though—and I don’t mean normal I-don’t-wanna, I mean for some reason, it really feels impossible to go back. I just can’t.


“Sienna?” I say, looking up at her while trying to make my eyes big and quivers like Anime. “Can I pleeeease go home right now?”


She snorts. “Audie, why?”


“I just strongly…don’t wanna go to class today. Like, I can’t go. I won’t.


Her hands fly to her hips and she looks up and down at me. “Uh, I think I’ll be the judge of that,” she says in a different voice. We both laugh and she returns to her normal accent. “Fine. Just this once, okay? And don’t tell anyone in your class or they’ll be jealous.”


Sienna winks and hands me a pass. She’s the counselor so she can give students an early release if they’re emotionally shaken—or if they feel like their feet are cement and they just can’t go back.


I grin as I take it and slide it in my pocket. “You’re the best, Sienna.”


She smirks, but her eyes are twinkling. “Tell me something I don’t know.”



*


Once I’m done cashing in my card, I grab my backpack and my skateboard and start cruising down the streets, on my way home. Hardly anybody is outside, seeing it’s in the middle of weekday. The hot June air causes mirages to dance in front of my eyes.


Then I heard something, 


“What is this, our one-hundred-twentieth meeting?” a female voice says.


Somebody else (female) says, “I dunno. Ask Nova. She might know.”


“Nah, I won’t bother her,” the first voice replies. “Well, do you have a guess, Riley?”


“I don’t know! Asha might have a guess.”


Another voice, presumably Asha, says, “Yeah, Val was probably right with her one hundred-twenty meetings answer.”


“I’d say more,” a deeper, but still female, voice says. 


Riley says, “Shut up, Zimora.”


I heard a thump and a squeak. “Ugh, Zim, quit it,” Riley says.


“Make me.”


“Seriously, Zimora, shut up,” a new voice says. “We’ve still got to find a good location. This park obviously doesn’t offer much cover. I’m going to go scout around. Stay put and Zimora, zip it. Everybody else, too. You’re being louder—”


“Wait, lemme finish that,” Val interrupts. “Here: We’re being louder than my brother’s butt after Bean-and-Cheese Burrito Night.”


“Love it,” Riley smirkes.


By now, I’m super confused. Where the heck are these voices coming from? They sound close, but there’s nobody I can see right now. I live in a small town, and, again, everybody’s at work or school.


I rip my eyes off the road and hop off my skateboard, which was already going extremely slowly ‘cause I’m getting distracted. I migrate to a nearby park—Rose Park, I think—and smile as I sink into the shaded bench. 


I glance around, waiting for the voices to pipe up again.


A moment later, I hear them:


“Riley, stop eating worms!” Val says.


Asha says, “Ewww, Riley!”


“What? I’m hungry for them all of a sudden.”


My eyes dart around the park. Where are these voices coming from?! 


“Yeah, me too,” Zimora says, “but I’m not eating them.”


“What can I say? That’s just my personality. Loud and sassy with a tendency to do crazy things.”


“Like eating worms,” Val says.


“Exactly! See, Zimora, this is what best friends are for. They understand you.”


“I don’t have a best friend because I don’t want to.”


“Right,” Riley teases, “you just like to sulk in the shadows all day. Are you shy?”


“No! I just—”


“Sulk in the shadows, right,” Val says.


I snort to myself. I don’t know who is saying this stuff, but they seem like old friends, and this is a pretty funny conversation. 


I shake my head to clear it. Knock it off, Audrey. You’ve got to figure out what’s happening.


“The quiet one is Asha. I just don’t like interacting that much. People are annoying. Like you guys.”


“Totally,” Riley says, “but you know you love us.”


“We’re like family,” Asha agrees. 


“Whatever,” Zimora’s voice grumbles. “Shut your pie holes—worm hole for Riley, apparently—and leave me alone.”


“Nah,” Val says. She imitates Zimora’s voice: “Make me.”


“Shut up.


“Nope,” Riley says. “You’re not the boss of us.”


“Yeah, but since Nova isn’t here, I am the leader.”


“Why’s that?” Asha protests.


“I have the most seniority.”


Val says, “Except Nova.”


“Except Nova,” Zimora agrees sadly.


I whack my head three times. There’s nobody in sight, but it feels like these voices are right over me. And under me. And to my left, plus my right. These voices are everywhere.


“I’m hallucinating because it’s so hot,” I say loudly. “Yeah, that’s it. I’m hearing voices because I’m dehydrated. I need to get home.”


I stand up and am about to leave when Asha’s voice says: 


“Darn it. Guys, I think this girl knows we're here.”


“Really?” Val says.


Riley says, “Asha’s right. Voices? Nobody's around but us.”


“This is bad,” Zimora says. “Dang it, this is bad. She—that girl—can probably still hear us. We need to get out of here.”


I open my mouth to speak but stop. A bird comes swooping in near my bench, landing under it. I peek down. Under the bench is another bird.


My eyes dart around. There’s another bird, perched in a tree right of me. One more in a bush to my left. I look up, and sure enough, there’s another bird in a branch over my head.


Asha, Zimora, Val and Riley on the ground so she can eat worms.


The bird that just flew in—Nova, their leader.


I smack my head again. Knock it off, Audrey. These birds do not talk. These birds do not have names. THESE BIRDS ARE JUST REGULAR FREAKIN’ BIRDS!


I’m about to stomp off and dunk myself in ice water so the world returns to normal, when I hear Zimora speak from beneath me: “Nova, the girl knows we’re here.”


I’m resisting the urge to say, “Who, me?”, but I shut down the thoughts.


Do NOT talk to the birds, Audrey. Seriously, don’t. Don’t even think about it…OH, STOP IT! 


The sad part about having a conversation with myself is that it’s me, my mind…so it—I—actually know when I’m thinking about something. 


A new voice beats me to it: “What girl?”


I can almost hear Zimora roll her eyes. “No offense, Nova, but there’s only one girl. The one above us?” She adds when Nova doesn’t say anything. “You know, long, wavy brown hair, green eyes, freckles? Blue tank-top and tropical shorts? Ring any bells?”


“Oh, shut up.”


Wow, these guys say ‘shut up’ so much, I think.


“Let’s get out of here,” Nova says. “I found a good spot for a meeting.”


A bird flew out from under the bench and all the others took off after her. I grabbed my backpack and started running after the talking birds.



*



I’m starting to regret not working out more often because these birds are flying far.


At least half a mile of desperate footfalls thump off the sidewalk as I chase the birds as fast as I can. They’re going pretty slowly, just cruising, but they also have wings.


“Keep…going…” I wheeze as I pick up the pace.


Finally, FINALLY, the birds swerve into an all behind my school. I inwardly sigh. Ugh. Welp, I just sprinted in a circle. Go me.


I peek around the building. My school is shaped like a C made out of straight lines, with three sides and an opening. In the center is the playground/courtyard. Anyways, across from me I can see through the window and into Sienna’s office. She’s typing on a laptop.


I’m so caught up in the irony of being back here that I miss the humans walking into the alley.


I turn around, and five girls are standing behind me.


They all have on tight black jumpsuits and black combat boots, but the similarities end there. The first girl has short blond hair tied into a high ponytail. She looked around my age, with glinting green eyes, lots of freckles, a mischievous smile. The second girl has thick brown hair falling to her hips, blue eyes, and tan skin, plus some mascara. The third girl has silky, pitch-black hair twisted into a braid over her shoulder, with blue eyeshadow, maserca, and dark red lipstick. The fourth girl has an unbroken sheet of auburn hair (more auburn?! It’s supposed to be super rare!) cloaking her shoulders and touches of light makeup. The last girl has two long ponytails of mahogany hair stretching over her shoulders, with pale brown skin and a scattering of freckles. 


Then I noticed: the birds were gone.


And there were the same number of people as birds.


What if the birds never flew off and the humans never arrived?


What if...what if...


“Who are you guys?”


I clamp a hand over my mouth. Seriously, Audrey?! Don’t talk to weird ladies!


The pigtailed girl frowns then laughs. “Followed us here, huh?”


My hand flies to my mouth again as I gasp.


She had the same voice as Nova the bird.


Nova’s face was the last thing I see before darkness.



*


Light seeps into my weary eyes as my eyelids start to flutter open. A collage of colors swims in the light, but my mind finally pieces together the pieces to form all five girls looking down at me.


I’m only conscious (yeah, I fainted…never thought I would, but I guess there’s a first time for everything) for a moment before I bolt up and sprint out of the alleyway.


My feet pound on the road as I glance over my shoulder. The girls. They’re shape-shifters. A shape-shifter squad!


I ducked my head down and kept running. I hear more footsteps behind me and cursed as I through my gaze back.


Yup. All five girls are chasing me, and they are advancing fast. Upon closer inspection, they’re all lean but muscular and look like they’re quick and strong. 


“WAIT UP!” Riley shouts.


“We just want to talk!” Val adds.


“Yeah right!” I yell back. “My mom never said stay away from strange teens who can shape-shift, but it’s pretty much implied! There’s no way I’m ‘waiting up’!” 


I’m trying to sprint, but my legs are still limp noodles from chase of the birds a couple minutes ago.


Aaaand the girls turn into cheetahs.


Of course.


A moment later, they’ve surrounded me. They transform back into humans and I match the faces to the voices. The blond is Riley, and her best friend Val is the brown-haired one. I already knew Nova was the pigtailed one, but I would’ve bet anything that Zimora was the black-haired girl because of her getup. Which left Asha as the auburn.


“What do you want?” I say, panic creeping into my voice.


“Not here!” Nova hissed. She looked around, but nobody was in sight.


Asha turned into a polar bear. “Hop on.”


I don’t want to hop on, but I’m basically their captive by now, so I give in. A moment later, we’re back in the alley.


“Who are you guys?” I say.


There’s a silence as the girl’s exchange looks, then... 


Nova takes a deep breath and says, “We’re the Cruthannas. A band of young women who can shape-shift and can’t die of old age—because we can’t age. Those who join get those powers. Some may call us evil, though.”


“Why?” I whimper.


Zimora shrugs. “We’re kind of a self-benefit group of girls. We scare people that have wronged us. It’s really fun.” She frowns. “Well, for us, definitely not for them.”


“So...you’re...magic?”


“Yep,” Asha grins. “Like, I’m seventy.”


“But you look like a teenager.”


“Exactly!”


“Can I go now?” I say. I mean, this was cool, but insanely freaky.


Nova frowns. “Nope. See, you might tell people about us. Nobody can do anything because we can transform into whatever, but it's still annoying.”


My mouth twisted into a horrified expression. “I can never leave?!”


“No, you just have to join us, if not only temporarily. That way you can’t tell, because you’re part of us too.”


I don’t exactly agree with this, but I still nod. “Basically, if I become a temporary...Cruthanna, I can go?”


“Yep!” Riley says. “We’re going to transform you now, okay?”


I nod, and Nova waves her hands. A second later...nothing happens.


“Is it done?” I say, examining my hands. “I don’t feel different.” I pictured myself as a cheetah. “I can't shape-shift, either.”


“Yeah, the effects aren’t immediate,” Asha agrees. “Anyways, who’s the person you’re gonna scare with us? Make sure it’s someone EVIL.”


I think. And think and think and think. Sienna surely wouldn’t approve of terrifying somebody I hate, but I had to do this.


Just then, kids start to pour out of my school. I check my watch. It’s recess time, duh! I think.


“HEY, YOU! GET OVER HERE!”


I groan at the sound of Tyler’s voice from the playground. Then my face lights up.


“Do you have an idea for who to scare?” Val shrugs.


I grin as I hear Tyler insult some poor kid. I hear a punch being thrown and a yelp, then a teacher blowing a whistle to break up the brawl. Tyler was going to get what was coming for him. “Yup.” 


Riley smiles. “You ready?”


My response is another huge grin. “Let’s do this.”









August 15, 2020 23:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

207 comments

Rayhan Hidayat
04:45 Aug 17, 2020

Wow that escalated quickly 😅 Thought they were just birds even though I already read the title lol. Really funny and energetic dialogue as always, and I love how the story came full circle with Tyler. Just needs a proofread but awesome job! 👍🏽

Reply

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
03:19 Aug 16, 2020

<removed by user>

Reply

11:29 Aug 16, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marcos Vinicius
23:06 Sep 18, 2021

Hi! Loved your story. One of the things i liked is the way you showed the hate Audray had for Tyler, which linked the fact of who Audray would use her ( or him, i think it's her, couldn't teel by the name, sorry 😢 ) new abilities to scare somebody, a good structure. Besides, the plot where the birds were actually the girls, got me surprised

Reply

Thank you so much! And haha, I hate a guy named Tyler in real life, so not only do I always make him the character’s enemy, but I can write the dislike pretty well ;DD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:11 Mar 27, 2021

YES! YES!!! YOU ROCK!

Reply

THANK YOU LOL!!!!!!! U TOOO

Reply

18:27 Mar 29, 2021

YAY

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Bonnie Clarkson
03:08 Jan 03, 2021

You are a good prolific writer and I like your stories even if I am more conservative than you. Thank you for liking my story Making a Connection.

Reply

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beverly Riddle
22:31 Dec 07, 2020

SO MANY TWISTS!!!!

Reply

Tysm!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
14:12 Nov 26, 2020

🍌

Reply

Hehe, noice 😎😎

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Paula Dennison
12:01 Aug 27, 2020

Your story is wonderfully creative and exciting! I found that it is suitable for teens and adults alike. The fantasy played out in my head and I actually heard the voices of your characters in my mind. For me this is a sign of good writing because I can get lost in the story. I enjoyed the humor of the birds bantering back and forth with each other. It's a great story and well written.

Reply

Thank you so much, Paula!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kingshuk Kundu
17:48 Aug 23, 2020

The conversations were so smooth and awesome. Do write more! 😄 P.S: would you mind checking my recent story out, "Better Late Than Never"? Thank you 😊

Reply

17:54 Aug 23, 2020

Thanks! Sure, I’ll do it later today ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Clara D Berry
02:38 Aug 23, 2020

I love how you make your characters talk to themselves inside their heads. I saw it here and in one of your other stories, and it's hilarious, especially because I have had conversations like that with myself. I also loved the foreshadowing where you had the mystery voices talking about eating worms and then they turned out to be in bird shape at the time. One question: what happened to the skateboard? Why didn't she use it during the chase scenes?

Reply

12:02 Aug 23, 2020

Haha, thanksss! Hmm...I forgot about the skateboard. Meaning SHE forgot about the skateboard! Yeah, I’d say she just forgot. I mean, there were TALKING BIRDS, so she just took off running. Besides, it’s safe to assume the whole path the birds too wasn’t skate-boardable, which she would realize if she stopped to think. Hope this makes sense! Thanks again!

Reply

Clara D Berry
16:24 Aug 23, 2020

Oh, okay. Maybe she dropped it somewhere in all the excitement. Otherwise it would have slowed down her running and she would have remembered.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Faith Hunter
15:40 Aug 20, 2020

I love it!!!!!! But I also want a part 2, I want to see her scare him!! When you have time do you mind checking out my recent story? -Faith

Reply

15:48 Aug 20, 2020

Thanks! Sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:21 Aug 19, 2020

As usual, a very well written story! Such a creative idea, I really enjoyed reading it! I couldn't find a single mistake, great job!

Reply

23:22 Aug 19, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Niveeidha Palani
10:28 Aug 18, 2020

Hi Aerin, I hope you make a sequel on this. It's good! I found some minor punctuation errors, but that's normal. ;) I loved how they were a normal gang of girls, and they went to birds, and then they're shapeshifters! 😂 PS - If you have time, can you check out my latest story? (*Grandpa Laurence*)? I'd be glad if you leave feedback! Thanks! And never stop writing, of course! ;)

Reply

10:47 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you! Sure, I’ll check out your story!

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
10:48 Aug 18, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shiza Ali
15:02 Aug 17, 2020

"She—that girl—can probably still here us." I think instead of here it must be hear. The rest is good!

Reply

21:27 Aug 17, 2020

Wow, thanks for catching that! Thank you!

Reply

Shiza Ali
03:58 Aug 18, 2020

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
14:36 Aug 17, 2020

Favorite Series: Keeper of the lost cities Favorite book author: Rick Riordon ofc Favorite stand-alone book: Either "The Hate U Give" or "The Secret Garden" Also awesome story Aerin I really liked it!

Reply

21:26 Aug 17, 2020

Thank you, and cool!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lydia Nichols
18:23 Aug 16, 2020

I do not think that I will ever be able to write like that

Reply

18:43 Aug 16, 2020

Haha thanks, but I’m sure you will! I betcha that when you’re my age, you’re writing will be just as good as however good you think this is. I actually started writing when I was your age, hehe.

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:43 Aug 16, 2020

Also, when do you think you’ll post your first story? I’d love to read it ;)

Reply

Lydia Nichols
22:35 Aug 27, 2020

I'm not sure. My older sis is helping me out :)

Reply

K 😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Lydia Nichols
17:41 Aug 16, 2020

super good

Reply

17:46 Aug 16, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lydia Nichols
15:55 Aug 16, 2020

O.M.G that is such a good story

Reply

16:39 Aug 16, 2020

Thanks so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
07:19 Aug 16, 2020

Woahhhhhh I really liked Nova's attitude and description. Maybe you could keep the title smthing like The SS Squad , (The Shape Shifter Squad) .

Reply

11:33 Aug 16, 2020

Thanks! Ooh, good idea...

Reply

Sia S
12:16 Aug 16, 2020

Happy to help :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pragya Rathore
07:01 Aug 16, 2020

Hi Aerin! Is the answer a secret?

Reply

11:32 Aug 16, 2020

Yesssss!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.