49 comments

Funny Fiction

“I’d like to return this TV, please.”

Herbert Whistlebottum - a middle-aged man with the appearance of a college professor, had waited patiently for his chance in the Returns line at one of London’s top electronics stores.

The January sales were in full swing with shoppers looking for bargains, spending gift certificates received in their Christmas stockings, and some, like Herbert, were trying to return unwanted items.

“Certainly sir,” the young casually dressed shop assistant replied. “Have you brought your receipt with you?”

Fumbling through the inside breast pocket of his coat, Herbert’s fingers excitedly searched for the narrow piece of paper, commonly issued in store purchases.

“Yes, I have it somewhere here… Aha, here it is!”

Handing the receipt to the shop assistant, Herbert proceeded to lift the large but surprisingly light cardboard box he had brought with him, then placed it on the counter separating the two men. As the shop assistant read through the receipt, circling parts of it with a red pen, Herbert took a brief look at the line of fifteen people or so waiting their turn to return something. Exchanging smiles with a few of the more patient-looking returnees, he avoided contact with the not-so-happy looking customers, fearing they may resent him for taking up too much time at the returns desk. Looking at the variety of items brought back, Herbert noted the array of rejected televisions, radios, drones, and most things electronic, littering the floor beside their reluctant owners. Some of the packages appeared crudely re-packed into their torn-apart cardboard housings, while others were simply held together with makeshift sticky tape. Bits of Styrofoam packaging also littered the busy area - a daily result of items being removed from their boxes for inspection by store staff.

“May I ask why you’re returning the TV, sir?” The shop assistant was following protocol and store policy to determine any potential fraudulent practices by unscrupulous customers.

“Erm, yes.” Stuttered Herbert. “I bought this just before Christmas, then after Christmas, I saw on the Internet the same telly advertised for two hundred less, so I’d like to return it and buy another at the sale price.”

“Hmm,” the shop assistant reflected.

“It was a bargain to begin with,” Herbert continued. “But now, it’s a bloody steal!”

“Yes,” agreed the employee, checking his tablet PC. “We’ve only a few left in stock at this price.”

Proudly patting the tv box, Herbert pleasingly added, “I’ve not even opened the box, see? It’s still stapled and taped in its original packing. You can take a look, if you don’t believe me. I still want the telly, but at the lower price, so you can just refund me, then re-sell it to me at the lower bargain price.”

His sound logic and simplistic interpretation of returning something not wanted, made the transaction of product turnaround sound like it was an easy process. However, a few snickers emanating from down the waiting line, suggested otherwise. It was apparent that some of the people waiting were well versed in matters like this.

“Yeah, right,” and “Good luck wif that,” filtered up to the head of the line, but seemed to miss Herbert’s attention.

“This is the Returns department, sir. We don’t sell down here in the basement. We just issue refunds or store credit.”

“A sale is a sale, no?” Herbert ignorantly asked.

“Not in the Returns department, sir. They put us down here in the basement specifically for a reason. We deal with returns and refunds. Away from the hordes stomping through the sales departments upstairs, you see, we down here, invisibly feed the upper floors with returned goods like yours. When we receive a faulty or unwanted item, it has to go up one floor to Returns Inspection, where they conduct a five point analysis of the product to determine its destination. If it’s faulty, it goes to Repairs, where they attempt to refurbish it. From there – if it’s been repaired, it goes to Refurbishments, where it’s re-packaged, re-priced, and re-turned to the display floor’s Clearance section. If it can’t be repaired, then it’s chucked in the big bins out back, ready for landfill, and we claim the warranty.”

“But you don’t have to tell them that you refunded the difference, right, erm…?” Herbert squinted to read the shop assistant’s name tag. In his rush to get to the store before it got too crowded, he had unintentionally left his reading glasses at home.

Seeing Herbert strain his neck to move his head and eyes closer to him, the shop assistant intervened. “Greg, my name is Greg.”

“Yes,” Herbert confirmed with a point of his finger toward the name tag. “It says, Greg.”

As several more people joined the end of the queue, the ones already waiting began uttering a few vocal murmurs of impatience.

“Come on,” someone muttered. “For fuck’s sake,” another annoyed customer mumbled. All restrained protestations went unheard at the returns counter.

“You can just send this one straight to the clearance section.” Herbert applied more logic. “I’ll just grab it on my way out.”

Staring blankly back at Herbert, Greg’s face took on an expression often seen demonstrated by petulant children. You know, the one that causes a drop of the head, a rise in both shoulders, a look of closed-eye distaste, a sneer, and an exasperated jet of air to escape through the nostrils.

“It doesn’t work that way, Mister…?” Greg looked at the name on the receipt, before stifling a childish chuckle. “…Mister… Whistlebottom.”

A few more snickers raised their volume from the people waiting behind Herbert. Then, the sound of someone whistling followed by blowing a raspberry, caused a few laughs to ring out among those listening in to the conversation.

Herbert heard everything this time but ignored the obvious ridiculing of his name. He was used to it. Ever since primary school, he had suffered the taunts. Now, as an adult, they just washed off his back. However, the rudeness of those chuckling had no doubt, been exasperated by the fact that this transaction was trying everyone’s patience. This irked Herbert, because he saw nothing wrong in what he was doing. He too had waited patiently – without comment - for his turn at the head of the queue. Realising the interruptive factor of his name being repeated in the ensuing conversation, Herbert decided to demonstrate his disapproval by turning to face the line.

“Grow up,” he snidely remarked before turning back to face Greg.

“We didn’t mean anything by it, mate,” a male voice apologetically rose above the crowd.

“My refund, please.” Herbert emphatically demanded.

“Yes, Mister Whistlebottom,” came the giggled pronunciation.

“It’s Whistle… Bot… Um… U.M, not O.M.”

“Sorry,” Greg apologised. “The lighting down here is not always conducive to reading.”

Re-scrutinising the receipt, Greg noticed something that needed further clarification.

“Can you please confirm the date you purchased the telly, sir?”

“Yes, it was about five days before Christmas, I believe.” Herbert recollected.

“Oh,” a hesitant Greg responded. “But it’s January now.”

“Happy New Year,” Herbert facetiously stated.

“What I mean, is that you’ve gone beyond the seven-day returns policy for refunds.”

“Preposterous,” Herbert blurted. “Where does it say that?”

“In the small print at the bottom of your receipt, see?”

Pointing to a paragraph on the base of the receipt, printed in a very small font, Greg held the slip of paper steady for Herbert to study.

“I can’t read that,” Herbert frustratingly argued. “It’s too small.”

“It says,” Greg pointed out. “That any return of your purchase for a full refund must be made within seven days from the date of purchase. It’s now thirteen days since you bought the telly.”

“You mean, I can’t get a refund?”

“No, Mister Whistlebottom.” Greg stifled another snicker. “That’s not what I mean. By law, you are entitled to a refund. But we are obligated to charge a re-stocking fee.”

“A re-stocking…?” The words stuck in Herbert’s throat. “I had to take a taxi van to get here. Do you know how much that cost me?”

“You could have called ahead, sir. We have an excellent pick-up service for returns.”

“I tried, but I was twenty-seventh in the call queue. After waiting forty minutes listening to some god-awful racket someone thinks is music, I was still twenty-seventh in the call queue. So, I thought it would be quicker and easier to bring it here personally.”

“Well, you made it and you’re here. Would you like to proceed with the return?”

“How much is the re-stocking charge?”

“Two hundred.”

“Two…? That’s almost a quarter of the price I paid for the telly.”

“Yes, twenty-five percent of the sales price is the re-stocking fee.”

“Can’t you waive it?”

“I can’t go against company policy, no. I just don’t have the authority.”

Losing his temper was not the best way to get results; however, Herbert was becoming increasingly frustrated and angrily impatient.

“Then, who in Christ’s name does?” He demanded to know.

“Would you like me to call my manager?”

Impatient groans broke out from the line behind Herbert, prompting several disgruntled people at the back to curse the situation, then turn and leave.

“Can he waive the fee?”

“Probably not, but he might be able to reduce it.”

“Great, then call him, please.”

Speaking into the small headpiece wrapped around his temple, Greg called for assistance.

“David, immediate assistance needed in Returns, please…”

“What did he say?”

“Oh, I didn’t speak to him directly. It’s an internal comms system. Everyone hears it. If my manager is otherwise engaged, someone will tap him on the shoulder to let him know that his presence is required.”

“Shame you can’t use that with your telephone returns system,” Herbert sarcastically suggested.

“That would be too impersonal,” Greg innocently explained. “We pride ourselves on customer service.”

“Well, you’re not living up to that, right now, are you.”

Pushing the boxed tv slightly to one side, Greg attempted to pacify the increasing impatience of those waiting for service.

“Could I please ask you to step to the side, sir? I’d like to take care of the other customers while you wait for my supervisor.”

Flabbergasted, Herbert’s first instinct was to hold his ground. Every impulse in his mind, suggested that he not yield the floor until satisfaction was given. However, as a courtesy to the other poor tortured souls waiting to return or exchange goods, he took a reluctant wide step to his right to allow things to proceed.

“Yes, Madam, how can I help?” Greg resumed.

“It’s Miss, you cheeky bugger,” corrected the young woman. “Me boyfriend’s mum bought me these ear pods for Christmas, and I already have some, so I want a refund.”

Dressed in what could only be described as summer clothes in the middle of winter, the young lady, appeared impervious to the cold outside, and extremely uncomfortable with the heat radiating from the metal heaters at the base of the far wall.

Ignorantly complaining, she stated, “Bloody hot down ‘ere, innit?”

Unwilling to respond to the rhetorical question, Greg flashed a condescending smile back at her, prompting her to continue. “I don’t ‘ave a receipt. It was a gift.”

“That should be fine,” Greg assured her. “What is the last name of the purchaser?”

“Cummings, Richard Cummings.”

“…Richard… no, sorry. He’s not on the system.”

“Try Dick,” the young woman suggested.

“Dick Cummings,” Greg choked. “Oh my, I don’t think I’m going to last the day.”

Stifling a schoolboy’s immature laugh, Greg tried breathing out slowly.

“No, no, don’t. Keep it under control, Greg.” He muttered to himself before letting out a repressed, “Ha ha!”

“What-choo laughin’ at?” The young woman knowingly asked.

“Nothing, Miss. The database shows no Dick Cummings in here. Blahaa! I do beg your pardon. It’s a day for it, isn’t it.”

“For what?”

“…oh, confusion, I think.”

“Oh, yeah, forgot. He bought the ear pods, but used his mum’s card to do it.”

“Okay, okay. That changes things. What’s her first name?”

“Connie. She’s really his step-mum. Not his real mum, so has a different name.”

“Okay, and what is that?”

“She’s Irish. It’s erm, Lingus.”

“Okay, let’s see if my records show a Connie Lingus, Oh…”

Before Greg could finish typing the name into his tablet, he quickly disappeared out of sight behind the counter. The only sign he was still there, was the guffaw of laughter rising up from behind the marbled-top pay point.

Disdainfully listening in, Herbert felt he needed to add a little comfort to the young woman’s embarrassment.

“We’re not all blessed with names like Greg or John.”

“Is alright,” she replied. “I ‘ave me own doubts as to marrying Dick.”

“Because of his name?”

“Nah, because of my first name.”

“What is it?”

“…Ima,” she shyly explained.

Just then, Greg’s voice from behind the counter bellowed, “Ima cummings, harghh!”

“Oh, fuck off, you wanker!” Ima’s distaste of being mocked caused her to loudly display her feelings on the matter.

“Is there a problem, miss?” The authoritative sounding voice interrupted.

“Yeah, your immature employee, that’s the problem,” Ima accused.

“How may I help?”

“Oi,” Herbert stepped in. “You were called to help me.”

Ima acknowledged the fact and took a half-step backwards, inviting Herbert to resume his business. Uninformed of the situation, David attempted to ascertain the details.

“Greg, what on Earth are you doing down there?”

Wiping the tears from his cheeks, Greg re-emerged from under the counter, slightly ashamed by his lack of professionalism.

“Yes, sorry. Erm, Mister Whistle… Um, Herbert, here, wants to return the telly he bought five days before Christmas; however, I explained to him that any returns beyond the first seven days, will be charged a re-stocking fee.”

“That is correct,” Dave confirmed.

“But I haven’t even unpacked it,” Herbert tried to explain.

“I’m sorry, sir. It’s company policy.”

“Can’t you waive the fee?”

“Sorry, no.”

“Then, can you reduce the fee?”

“Sir, you must understand that most of our sales staff survive on the sales commission afforded them through the various commercial transactions they make. The re-stocking fee covers both the reduced re-sale price and the cancelled commission. As all of our prices are at the most competitive of levels, it is only fair that our sales staff are generously compensated for their endeavours. The only way I can provide a full refund, is if the television is faulty. Then, as a courtesy to our customers, we personally send the faulty item back to the manufacturer while still under warranty.”

“Okay,” Herbert nodded his understanding. “Then, I want a full refund because it’s faulty.”

Duplicating Greg’s earlier petulant manner, Dave became slightly unsettled.

“What is the fault?” Dave enquired.

“It doesn’t work.”

“Have you tried plugging it in?”

Herbert remained quietly irritated.

“I see. Have you taken it out of the box, then? Is there something missing from it…?”

Herbert couldn’t think of a single condition to deem the tv faulty, so he just defeatedly shook his head.

“Then, I’m sorry, sir. We can’t issue a full refund, but I would be delighted to issue you a part refund, minus the twenty-five percent re-stocking fee.”

It was then that all the pieces of what Herbert’s mind had been processing, came together, forming one devious solution.

“How long is the warranty?” Herbert deceivingly asked.

“Twelve months from date of purchase,” Dave quickly replied.

“And what does it cover?”

“Oh, an array of things from manufacturer’s defects to accidental damage.”

“Like this?”

Tipping the television’s box at a ninety-degree angle, Herbert waited for gravity to forcefully guide the box’s descent to the polished concrete floor, where it arrived with a loud crash. For the next several moments, a hush floated around the room. Ima childishly giggled, Greg stood wide-eyed and surprised, while David stared in shock at the twisted box on the floor. Studying the line of customers, Herbert awaited some response. However, no-one wanted to be witness to his act of vandalism. Calmly and directly, Herbert addressed the supervisor in attendance.

“I’d like to return this tv, please.”

The bold extraordinary action on Herbert’s part, had shocked Dave beyond any comprehension. Almost robotic in tone, he responded.

“What… appears to be the problem, sir?”

“It fell and broke, but it’s under warranty.”

“Do you have the card you purchased it with?”

Herbert swiftly produced his debit card, and after a few button pushes, followed by the tap of his card on the card reader’s face, the transaction was complete.

“There you are, sir.” Dave mechanically stated. “A full refund to your account.”

Turning to Ima, he continued, “And for you miss, a store credit in the amount of your gift’s purchase. Now, who is next?”

Herbert nodded his appreciation to Dave, before asking a quick question.

“Pardon me,” he very politely asked. “What floor will I find the same tv?”

“That would be the second floor, sir.”

With a wave of his hand, Dave turned to leave as the next customer propped a kitchen blender onto the counter.

“Receipt?” Dave blandly asked before being handed the printed sales slip. “What name is it under?”

“Cox, Harry Cox,” the innocent reply announced.

A tumultuous explosion of laughter shook the surrounding Christmas decorations – still waiting to be taken down. It was all too much for poor Greg, who stumbled his way toward the Employees-Only door, uncontrollably laughing his head off.

“Greg, where are you going?” Dave annoyingly asked.

“I’m beyond the point of no return,” he spluttered out. “I’m going on a break, then I might call in sick.”

Disappearing behind the swing door, his screams of laughter accompanied Herbert up the fire escape stairs, as he headed toward Level Two. A satisfied look of mission accomplished spread across his face, then one final emanating scream from Greg, echoed up the stairwell from the direction of the basement store…

“WHISTLEBOTTOM! HAARGH!”

Undeterred, Herbert’s lips produced a quick whistle sound, followed by the blow of a raspberry.

“Up yours, Greg…”

 

 

March 04, 2023 09:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

49 comments

Tommy Goround
22:03 Mar 04, 2023

Clapping. Lilly sent me here. She's right. It's funny. Returns are like going to work for money you earned in the past.

Reply

Chris Campbell
02:48 Mar 05, 2023

Thanks Tommy. You got it. It's common for stores to set their own policies that flout the law. Online retailers are more versed in it, but physical stores can make the rules. At least this one, takes care of its sales staff...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
14:04 Dec 19, 2023

This sounds familiar. Having to wreck a perfectly good tv just to get a refund sounds exactly like the nonsense that’s been normalised by ridiculous ‘store policy’ in so many places. I’ve heard staff repeating policies that blatantly ignore the law hoping that the public don’t know their rights. The names, clearly Ilene Dover wasn’t in a chatty mood that day.

Reply

Chris Campbell
14:18 Dec 19, 2023

Yes, restocking fees are one of those blatant "Stick it to the customer" policies. If it ain't broke, then break it before it's returned. Best way to get a refund. 🤣 Thanks for liking, Graham.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:18 Dec 19, 2023

You’re welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Darryl Roberts
08:36 Mar 26, 2023

Comedy, but also a satire on the uselessness of logic and common sense against retail bureaucracy. Nice story.

Reply

Chris Campbell
00:53 Mar 27, 2023

Thanks, Darryl. Yes, common sense prevailed with a little help from the devious department. I much prefer online shopping and returns. I just can't stand shopping crowds. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
15:57 Mar 17, 2023

Hey Chris, I loved the way you portrayed all of these characters. A life in retail during the holidays can be taxing in an incredibly creative way. I loved the way that your MC was willing to hear the policies and use their own human ingenuity to figure out a way to find the happiness they long for. I also loved the way these characters had a beautiful way of finding come backs without sharing their true feelings, at least til the end. Nice work!!

Reply

Chris Campbell
02:23 Mar 18, 2023

Thanks Amanda. Made me giggle as I wrote it, so the more I giggled, the more creative I became with the funny names. You can blame Monty Python and Benny Hill for this one. Herbert calculated that as long as the TV was in the shop, it was their responsibility to react positively when it fell off the counter and broke. Fortunately for Herbert, it was an unprecedented action that took the manager by surprise. Perhaps, he thought it best to move the disgruntled customer along by appeasing him - instead of waiting to see what else he could break.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Glenda Toews
22:42 Mar 16, 2023

I enjoyed that one :D

Reply

Chris Campbell
22:45 Mar 16, 2023

Thank you, Glenda. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
09:32 Mar 16, 2023

Wow made me homesick for the joys of Oxford Street on 2nd January - any 2nd January. Our wonderful UK surnames that frequently sound so risque. Thanks for writing Chris - great story.

Reply

Chris Campbell
11:40 Mar 16, 2023

Thanks, Stevie. I feel so guilty mocking the tagged afflicted. 🤣 So glad you liked my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
09:02 Mar 16, 2023

Great fun, lively characters. It was funny how the names kept getting worse as the wait lengthened. Poor Greg! He deserved a medal for working in the Returns section.

Reply

Chris Campbell
11:43 Mar 16, 2023

Thanks, Helen. Greg tried to maintain a professional decorum but failed miserably. However, he was assigned a tough job, so yes, a medal he deserves. So glad you liked my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Lewis
12:54 Mar 15, 2023

Ah the joy of trying to make a return. Job well done on portraying the frustrating set of hoops to be jumped through and interspersing the humor throughout. My favorite lines were: “Oh,” a hesitant Greg responded. “But it’s January now.” “Happy New Year,” Herbert facetiously stated.

Reply

Chris Campbell
13:07 Mar 15, 2023

Thanks, Mary. I even made myself laugh with this on. So glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
13:18 Mar 13, 2023

Wow, Chris, you really brought this one to life! I read/watched/heard the entire exchange and enjoyed every minute of it! My favorite type of humor. If you don't write for television, movies, screenplays, you should. Python has nothing on you. More! More!

Reply

Chris Campbell
14:44 Mar 13, 2023

Susan, you are very kind. Originally, I had my grounding in stage plays and screenplays, so that type of format keeps coming out in my writing. I still see myself as a screenwriter learning how to write short stories that lead to novels, but if I can make people laugh along the way, I'm happy. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Reply

Susan Catucci
15:07 Mar 13, 2023

Please keep going. It's wonderful stuff.

Reply

Chris Campbell
15:10 Mar 13, 2023

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
18:36 Mar 12, 2023

All I have to say Chris is Nautius Maximus and Biggus Dickus.So much fun is absolutely not alllowed, sir; throw him to the floor! (Or even "thwwoww him to the floor"!) Once a Python always a Python, loved it!

Reply

Chris Campbell
02:59 Mar 13, 2023

Thank you, Rebecca. Sometimes, the simplest of humour is the funniest. I grew up with Monty Python, so influences abound. So glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
06:47 Mar 12, 2023

Oh for all those who have stood in that intolerable line- we salute you sir -Good luck wif that- Damn right!

Reply

Chris Campbell
08:44 Mar 12, 2023

Thanks Marty. That's why I shop online. 🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rama Shaar
05:50 Mar 12, 2023

This was hilarious! Well done! I love Greg. Greg really tried his best!

Reply

Chris Campbell
06:37 Mar 12, 2023

Thanks Rama. Greg did try his best, but the child within us all, can betray us without warning. Glad you liked my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:39 Mar 09, 2023

Quite the deal!

Reply

Chris Campbell
01:01 Mar 10, 2023

Thanks, Mary. I appreciate you reading my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KT George
13:36 Mar 08, 2023

Chris, this was hysterical. We've probably all been stuck in a horrible returns line or in a similar situation as poor Herbert. You made that light-hearted and fun. I don't blame Greg one bit for cracking up and walking away. I often wonder how the cashiers keep it together their whole shift. With names like that, I know I wouldn't have been able to! Fantastic job.

Reply

Chris Campbell
01:08 Mar 09, 2023

KT, thank you for your great feedback. So glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
15:16 Mar 07, 2023

Both funny and frustrating as it so well depicts the horrors of bureaucratic systems. Adding the element of the names just lifts it right up before the reader gets too traumatized by the process. A really fun read. Kudos.

Reply

Chris Campbell
02:36 Mar 08, 2023

Thanks Laurel. When I can make myself laugh, it must be a little funny. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gip Roberts
23:09 Mar 06, 2023

I read this imagining the British accents of the characters, and it felt a lot like an episode of "Are You Being Served?" Got a kick out of the names. As you can see, I'm no stranger to being stuck with an unusual name. This was a hilarious story. Thanks for writing it.

Reply

Chris Campbell
03:47 Mar 07, 2023

Gip, thanks for reading and commenting. It does remind me a bit like, Are You Being Served? A funny series with such innocent comedy for its time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
03:49 Mar 06, 2023

that was awesome. really, that's all I can say. hysterical. :D the title was what caught my eye... one of my favorite songs is the called the point of no return (from phantom of the opera) :)

Reply

Chris Campbell
05:57 Mar 06, 2023

Thanks Lilah. My favourite musical. Seen it at least six times. Sang with most of London's West End Phantoms in my days with The Three Waiters event show. Sadly, didn't make the final cut for the Phantom. I'm a Tenor but they like to use Baritones that can hit a High C. Glad you found my story funny.

Reply

Irene Duchess
16:56 Mar 06, 2023

It’s my favorite musical too. :) I’ve seen the royal albert hall version four times and the movie once. The book is really good too. Sorry you didn’t make the final cut. I’m a terrible singer, but I do play the violin, so I like playing the phantom of the opera on it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
08:32 Mar 05, 2023

The juvenile humor and the adult frustrations made for a delightful tale with an ingenious solution to bureaucratic nonsense. The farcical nature of the events rally do highlight the frustrations of returning an item. And I really like the part where the manager explained the restocking fee. Although it makes sense, it's really just another way to discourage returns. Nice work, Chris. I love the way you structured the story, and the dialogue was glistening with laconic, deadpan humor. Nicely done, my friend.

Reply

Chris Campbell
13:43 Mar 05, 2023

Delbert, Once again, thank you for providing some great feedback. While writing this piece, I found myself laughing out loud, so I hope it has the same effect on others too.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
14:24 Mar 05, 2023

It absolutely did! And still does...

Reply

Chris Campbell
22:38 Mar 05, 2023

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
23:41 Mar 04, 2023

Great fun, Chris, and so delightfully absurdist. :) - “But it’s January now.” // “Happy New Year,” Herbert facetiously stated. - hehe

Reply

Chris Campbell
05:06 Mar 05, 2023

Thanks Wendy. A little dry wit from our main character trying to hold back his frustration. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
23:35 Mar 04, 2023

This was delightfully funny. Your pun names were so irreverent and added to the chaos of the returns department. I loved the MC and how he never seemed to lose his cool. A fun story with great comedic pace.

Reply

Chris Campbell
02:53 Mar 05, 2023

Thanks Michelle. A little schoolboy humour goes a long way. I did research funny names, and in the case of Whistlebottum, names like his were usually joined from the names of two villages where the familes may have originated from.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.