Her Strange but Loving Family (part 1)

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Write a fairy tale about someone who can communicate with woodland creatures.... view prompt

588 comments

Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

~17 years ago...~

It had been quite peaceful in the dead of night, and almost everyone there was drifting off into sleep, except of course some of the Owls and some of the other exceptions that were up in the night.

Though unluckily for them it didn't last long before it was anything but peaceful anymore. Sounds of crying that almost sounded like shrieking began, along with an occasional rustle coming from a couple of Shrubs. It seemed to be a little far away, but almost everyone there could hear it.

Davina, a young Fawn, eventually had enough of all the noise though. "Come on, all I want is to sleep...I was having a good dream! It's so late, what could be causing this noise..." she crankily mumbled to herself.

As she left her own home to go check out the cause of the noise, she could hear the flapping of wings behind her. "Who...who's there?" she mumbled as she turned around, slightly letting out a yawn.

When she turned around to see the cause of the other noise, she didn't see it at first. Instead, she saw her mother still in their little home, fast asleep, and curled up. "How can she even sleep through the...AH!"

Before she managed to finish that sentence, a young dragon fell in front of her, causing her to jump back in shock. "Solo! What do you think you're doing? You know I don't like it when you do that." she growled.

He let out a small laugh at her reaction, with his wings slightly twitching behind him. "Sorry...though I was looking for you, I knew you'd probably go looking for that source of the noise, but I didn't want you to go alone," he explained.

She let out a small sigh before a smile started to spread across her face, "Well thanks for coming to help me I guess, with you, it should be easier to find it now..." she yawned.

They walked around for what seemed like ages until they could both tell that the source of the noise was right next to them now. There was someone else though with the source as well, like Davina and Solo weren't the only ones who had the same idea.

A Raccoon, a little younger than either of them, was standing nearby and looking down at what had to be the source of the crying and shrieking. She began to step a little closer to him, "Rio? Are you-"

"Shhh...both of you, come over here and take a look..." he replied to her, barely above a whisper. It was a miracle though that she was even able to hear him, as they were right next to the shrieking and crying.

The two of them then joined their Raccoon friend and took a little look at what was causing all of the noise. Davina's eyes widened slightly, as the three of them were staring at a young abandoned human baby.

~Present Day...~

She sat on a tree branch that was luckily able to support her, all while she stared up at the cloudy yet beautiful sky. "Oh, there you are! I knew I'd find you up here." she could hear her older brother say from nearby.

After a few moments of her just hearing the flapping of wings and some specific noises that only his kind made, Solo popped up in front of her. "Heya big bro" she replied with a small smile, while slightly patting one of his wings.

"Artio, what are you doing up here again? If you like being up high so much, you know I could take you out for a little ride if you want?"

She shook her head before resting one of her hands down on the old tree, "No thanks Soll, I just like coming up here to relax from time to time. I just finished doing something with Rio as well," she told him.

He let out a small laugh as he then asked, "And what would that 'something' be? Playing little tricks on some of the Owls? You know they'll eventually get angry with both of you if you keep doing that."

Artio proceeded to jump out of the tree, luckily with a soft landing and managing to hurt herself. She let out a little laugh, though it was more of a snort-laugh. "Well they've gotten mad at us before and let me tell you, they are so adorable when they get upset."

"Hm, that's what you say about almost everyone here when they get mad..."

"Well it's true, don't you think? Especially whenever sis gets mad...or maybe that's her at least trying to get mad about something."

"Oh, there you are Art! You know it's so hard to find you sometimes...you have a lot of favorite places here." Rio, a bit happily and exhausted said.

Besides the exhausted Raccoon that had found the two of them, Davina was walking right next to him. "We've only been looking for them for seven minutes...are you really that tired?"

Artio smiled as she ran over to them and gave Davina a small hug, while instead picking up Rio and giving him a little kiss on the forehead. He let out a low hiss but she just seemed to laugh again as he told her, "Arttttt...you know I don't like those..."

"So sis, is there something you two need from us?" she asked as she set Rio back down next to her, who then jumped up and sat on Davina's back.

She nodded a little bit as she began to head in the other direction, both Solo and Artio quickly beginning to follow her and Rio. "Yes actually, and it's something a little fun that I was wanting us to go do for a while."

Artio tilted her head like a confused or curious puppy, "And what is it?"

She looked back at the two of them with a large grin on her face, "We're going to go on a little trip through the bigger areas of this place, I don't think any of us have actually been over there so it's new for all of us."

Artio's eyes widened and almost seemed to have stars in them, "Like an adventure? Soll is already a dragon, maybe there'll be some sort of princess or something! Just imagine all of the stuff that could happen."

Davina's grin grew a little more as she saw how excited her sister was, "Hm yes it could count as an adventure if you'd like, now come on let's go!"

The four of them began to head to the much deeper areas of the home everyone lived in, it was going to be a great adventure. Rio was letting out squeaks of excitement on Davina's head, while Artio was riding on Solo's back.

March 19, 2021 21:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

588 comments

Orenda .
17:14 Apr 03, 2021

henlo! everything goin' good?

Reply

B. W.
18:20 Apr 03, 2021

Eh, I guess. Though how have you been doing? It's been a while.

Reply

Orenda .
18:23 Apr 03, 2021

i am doing okay :)) yeah, it's been a long, long while.

Reply

B. W.
23:40 Apr 03, 2021

So are you planning on doing any new stories or anything like that?

Reply

Orenda .
05:39 Apr 04, 2021

I won't write here for a while. but offline, yes, trying to, at least XD.

Reply

B. W.
15:43 Apr 04, 2021

Alright then. I've actually been working on a new novel for the past month or so ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:14 Apr 02, 2021

Heyyyyy And frick, just saw you were downvoted to OH MY GOD YOU WERE DOWNVOTED TO 666 TOO?!?! Oh my goshhhh these downvoters really do love taking thousands of points 😭 I’m sorryyyy sis I’ll upvote you later <3 But anyways what’s up?

Reply

B. W.
00:21 Apr 03, 2021

I don't really care about the points anymore that much, but it is still annoying that they are all still doing it. But I guess I've been doing fine recently, a little bored and tired though :/ I'm wanting to try and make a new story soon, what about you?

Reply

00:25 Apr 03, 2021

Yea, exactly, like bruh does the dv have nothing else to do??? Yeah lol, “bored and tired” is pretty much my standing emotion half the time ;) Ooh that sounds awesome, tell me if/when it’s out!! I mean, just posted the new story I’ve been working on, so yay. I’m also pretty tired/bored, but at least there’s two days before spring break ends, right?? 🥲 Ty!

Reply

B. W.
00:47 Apr 03, 2021

You're still having Spring Break? I had mine a long time ago. I guess I'm also pretty bored because a lot of people aren't on here anymore, and there's just not a lot of stuff to do anymore.

Reply

01:28 Apr 03, 2021

Yup! Yeaaa... Like I just told Lone Wolf, a lot of the younger, chattier members of Reedsy are busy with school and stuff so there’s just not as many random convos as like last summer :/

Reply

B. W.
01:39 Apr 03, 2021

Lone Wolf is still on here? I kinda thought that they left at some point, or did they not do that?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:57 Mar 31, 2021

Hiya! I just posted a new story! I'd love to hear your feedback! :D Btw, I've noticed your points have been low, were you downvoted?

Reply

B. W.
23:22 Mar 31, 2021

Sure, I'll check it out soon. And yeah, I got downvoted a lot a while ago. I don't really care that much, but its still a bit surprising.

Reply

01:42 Apr 01, 2021

Yeah, that sucks though. Do you have any ideas on who they are?

Reply

B. W.
01:54 Apr 01, 2021

Not really, I know it's still probably a lot of people doing it though :/

Reply

02:25 Apr 01, 2021

Yeah probably. I really dont get why they do this :T

Reply

B. W.
04:25 Apr 01, 2021

I don't really care about the points anymore though

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keya M.
12:57 Mar 31, 2021

Hi B.W.! I don't know you very well, but I saw that you followed me, and I thought we could chat a little to get to know each other?

Reply

B. W.
14:31 Mar 31, 2021

Sure I don't see why not, so how are you doing?

Reply

Keya M.
14:55 Mar 31, 2021

I'm good! I've been wearing sweatpants for what feels like forever lol! What about you? What have you been doing during the pandemic?

Reply

B. W.
15:45 Mar 31, 2021

Not a lot of stuff tbh, but I have been writing a novel.

Reply

Keya M.
15:47 Mar 31, 2021

Oh, that's cool!

Reply

B. W.
15:48 Mar 31, 2021

It features a lot of Mythology stuff, including Greek, Egyptian and a couple other ones.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
20:25 Mar 30, 2021

Hi, this was a great story. I enjoyed reading it :)

Reply

B. W.
20:58 Mar 30, 2021

Thanks ^^ did you have a favorite part?

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
21:19 Mar 30, 2021

Hi! Yes I did have a favorite part. I loved how you built up to the noise to reveal a human baby. The story also left me wanting to read more, so I hope you write part 2 :) Also, the names Solo and Artio, reminded me of Star Wars - which is really cool ;)

Reply

B. W.
22:24 Mar 30, 2021

I'll probably do a part 2 at some point ^^ I don't watch a lot of Star Wars, but I remembered Han(?) Solo and so I just kinda liked that. I'm not really sure what Artio reminds you of in Star Wars though.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
23:25 Mar 30, 2021

Hi, Artio - sounds like R2, but that's just me ;) This was a good story, can't wait for the next one!

Reply

B. W.
00:50 Mar 31, 2021

Are ya talking about R2D2 and C3PO? Those were honestly my favorites in the ones I watched.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✨Abby ✨
17:56 Mar 30, 2021

Heyy bee! It's been forever (it's Abby btw)! How are you?

Reply

B. W.
18:24 Mar 30, 2021

I guess I've been doing good, what about you?

Reply

✨Abby ✨
18:45 Mar 30, 2021

I've been pretty good. Just super busy. I'm just posted a story tho if u wanna check it out at some point that be great! :). Are you doing a story for this set of prompts?

Reply

B. W.
19:23 Mar 30, 2021

Well I really want to try and make a story for the trickster god prompt, but I don't think I actually will. And don't worry, I'll check it out soon ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:34 Mar 30, 2021

I can talk!

Reply

B. W.
18:23 Mar 30, 2021

So how are ya doing today? Have ya seen the new prompts?

Reply

22:10 Mar 30, 2021

Yeah, I like them.

Reply

B. W.
22:25 Mar 30, 2021

Do you plan on doing one of them? I really like the trickster god prompt.

Reply

22:44 Mar 30, 2021

me too

Reply

B. W.
00:49 Mar 31, 2021

Do you know any mythology?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

B! Your points! This is important, I'm not sure if this is a prank or not, but someone messaged me: "Hey, Reedsy executive here. I am sorry to inform you that nothing can change this reedsy website, but we are thinking about it for sure. I have informed them about the downvoted in my bio and I have even messaged her. So, please free to read my bio. Devaki Inamdar has 8 accounts in her name which she uses for heavy downvoting to others and upvoting to herself." His/her bio link: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/brian-kits/

Reply

B. W.
03:23 Mar 30, 2021

Yeah, I already noticed my points a bit ago, it's more annoying than anything. Has anything happened to yours or something? And I'll go check that out soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
00:50 Mar 30, 2021

heyyy I know we haven't talked much, but we can change that :) 'Be the change that you want to see in the world' :) How have you been?

Reply

B. W.
01:16 Mar 30, 2021

I guess I've been doing fine, but I'm really bored and tired. What about you?

Reply

TJ Squared
01:26 Mar 30, 2021

I'm kinda lonely (which isn't anything new), but excited because my tortoise is up now :)

Reply

B. W.
01:47 Mar 30, 2021

You have a tortoise as a pet? Nice, I have two dogs.

Reply

TJ Squared
02:35 Mar 30, 2021

ooh nice :) read anything lately?

Reply

B. W.
03:04 Mar 30, 2021

Well, I guess I've been reading a lot of horror books lately. Like The Shining.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Coco Longstaff
08:22 Mar 29, 2021

Hey B How’s it going?

Reply

B. W.
14:32 Mar 29, 2021

Eh, I guess i've been doing fine. What about you?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.