Someone Like You

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Write a story where flowers play a central role.... view prompt

351 comments

Sad

At summer eve, when Heaven’s ethereal bow

Spans with bright arch the glittering hills below

Why to yon mountain turns the musing eye,

Whose sunbright summit mingles with the sky?

Why do those cliffs of shadowy tint appear

More sweet than all the landscape smiling near?

‘Tis distance lends enchantment to the view

And robes the mountain in its azure hue.

-Thomas Campbell

The cold spring air hung in shrouds over the dark expanse of earth. When a blue wind flew in, the tips of flower petals curled in resignation. All was silent, solemn… sad. The sun had hid in the blankets of clouds. Whenever a person left their house they kept their head down in shame. Simply absorbing the poisonous funk of the dark sadness that prowled the land made one recall their dearest sins as the memories cascaded. The landscape reminded of how cold the world could be. And as each flower curled, each person looked down.

Lucinthe sat in the groove of the windowsill of a decrepit townhome. She held a cup of coffee and a notepad and pen. The bitter fluid seemed to anchor her to the world of consciousness like a shell at the bottom of the sea… barely worth hanging on to. It’s nice today, she wrote. There’s a little more light than usual. Not like there’s ever really any. The flowers look like they’re getting the life sucked out of them. I bet… scratch. Cross out. Start again. Do you remember what it was like two months ago? Oh, I loved those roses. I feel like they were two doors down… I don’t know. Well, middle age. Can’t help it. How are you doing? A breeze ominously rose from the opposite corner of the room where she sat. She got up and poked her head out to find the door wide open. 

As she went to shut it, it clunked against something beside it. There was a rotting bouquet next to her foot. Silly she hadn’t noticed it sooner. It looked about two years old, but it felt much younger. Lucinthe, like everyone on rainy days like those, pushed it aside without care and walked back to her windowsill.

I… Well, I don’t exactly know how to put this. A cat rubbed up against her leg as it dangled from the edge of the sill. Was it hers? She couldn’t remember any more. In a game of hide-and-seek with the pain, she looked out the window. 

Scarves of clunky mist hung in circular borders around the bordering yards. The clouds seemed to be running as far as they could, taking the sun with them. Time blurred all lines within. Lucinthe couldn’t quite place the actions of any of the past months or even the insignificant routines of years before. There was a bag packed with memories that persisted through the murk of monotony.

Lucinthe had thought about leaving the suburbs. It had been before, when she felt nothing held her there. Tears had streamed in frigid rivers down her face and neck and chest… and she suddenly felt a great hate for the place she lived. Who would’ve known how bittersweet it would taste when she left her house, bags packed and eyes swollen? The next day, in grief, she was back and sobbing. Though she felt hatred for it, the town kept the only piece of her soul she had left… her memories of the days past. They were so far away, so unreachable, but they were all she could cling to.

“‘Milo! Come on, let’s go!’ Lucinthe shouted to the top floor. She was laughing and bouncing on the balls of her feet, waiting for him.

“Here I am.” There he stood at the top of the staircase. She went and pulled him down the stairs with a giggle as she picked up her bags.” They had been happy, once upon a time. The world had been bright and kind as they were, and they had been happy. 

Like photographs in an album, the poor girl remembered the times of happiness, however fleeting and insignificant in the face of the sad.

With a tug of her heartstrings, she was in the living room, then beautiful to look upon, and the two people sitting on the couch. Their arms were around each other as they laughed at the movie playing on the screen.

“Milo… I-I’m here, Milo!” Lucinthe pulled at the mirage, the picture of days gone by, and as it unraveled in her mind she fell to the floor. A great furious paroxysm of sadness overcame here and she lay resigned. 

As she made her way to her feet again, the flowers outside trembled. One had fallen to the ground, shriveled by something deeper than wind and tempestuous rain. The petals were cold and discarded in the mist, and seeing it made Lucinthe sob harder. She wanted to go to it, to comfort it, to help it grow again… even if she knew it was useless. She rushed to the cold, forsaken ground and held it up with a shaking hand. 

“I’m here. You’re not alone.” With heaving sobs, Lucinthe sat in the light of her despair with the flower. Its stem was a sickly green, no longer filled with the love and joy of youth. With a final weep, it fell to the ground. 

Lucinthe didn’t know for what reason she cared for the insignificant plant. It seemed to be nature’s mirror held up in frightening vitality and truth to her face. She went back inside and sat back at the windowsill, shoving her feelings deeper down.

I miss you. I can’t live without you here… Every night I cry, did you know that? I cry because you’re not there next to me. Why aren’t you there, Milo? Can you come back? No… don’t beg, she thought. He won’t come back, he won’t… but maybe? No. Sometimes it lasts in love, but sometimes it hurts instead. He won’t come back. 

Tears, ones she had held so deep within in the past months, sprung through the walls of pain she had built. They broke like daggers through her eyes and hurt as they fell. 

Don’t forget me.

March 22, 2021 12:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

351 comments

Zilla Babbitt
15:05 Mar 30, 2021

Luke! I miss you already. I hope you pop back online for a story or quip once in a while.

Reply

. .
15:12 Mar 30, 2021

Oh well of course!! Also I’m reading Cancer Ward right now teehee...

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
15:20 Mar 30, 2021

*gasp* Yes! Is it not fantastic? They need to make a movie or show about it honestly. The book is somewhat autobiographical; Solzhenitsyn himself had a stomach tumor and used it at an opportune time to get out of the Gulag (after eight years there).

Reply

. .
15:23 Mar 30, 2021

Ha it is!! I’m also trying some Bronte stuff and tons of mishmash. Well, I’ll be on here sometime in the next month, glad we were on at the right times.

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
20:58 Apr 06, 2021

Glad to see you active again!

Reply

. .
21:07 Apr 06, 2021

Thanks!! I just finished Pachinko, have you read it?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
15:56 Apr 26, 2021

enlist al! !literature books you studied

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
10:51 Apr 26, 2021

What is a cancer ward

Reply

. .
10:54 Apr 26, 2021

It’s a book but also where cancer patients are treated

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
10:58 Apr 26, 2021

Yeah thanks I am reading that book

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
10:56 Apr 26, 2021

Oleg Kostoglotov, he was admitted ; did be recovered or not, I have its pdf

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 4 replies
Show 1 reply
21:59 Mar 29, 2021

LUKE I SINCERELY HOPE YOU ARE KIDDING 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 Or at least, please don’t be leaving because of the downvoters. You’re an amazing writer an no amount of points, however many 0’s attached, can describe that. I know losing like all of your points is kind of discouraging but it just leaves more room to climb the ranks again. And youll keep getting feedback, and chats, and people guessing your emoji puzzle. Reedsy is a writing contest, but above all, a writing community. That means that no matter what, you’ve got hundreds of friends who will mis...

Reply

22:01 Mar 29, 2021

Update: oh, wait, I thought you were downvoted to 1k, but nevermind, it’s only to 10k, which is way better. I also scrolled comments and did you leave a few days ago?? Wut?! Sia only told me about this nowww and now I’m confusedddd ahhh

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
22:25 Mar 29, 2021

Larb ya Aerin :)

Reply

22:29 Mar 29, 2021

Aww right back at ya <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
15:57 Apr 26, 2021

or Thai spicy diced-meat salad with ground, chopped, or minced meat and vegetables; it is your favourite food I never heard of it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
22:57 Mar 24, 2021

Heyy...

Reply

. .
23:24 Mar 24, 2021

HOW ON EARTH IN TWO DAYS THESE FIENDS

Reply

23:56 Mar 24, 2021

JWSXISJDINSDWSIDNWNAAKSKAAKSKAAKSMWZN YEAA

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:20 Jul 03, 2021

Bahaha this message tho- Honestly jokes on the downvoter literally nothing’s changed but pt muahaha anyways I know this is my second comment to you in 2 minutes but I’m bored lolz HRU also new story :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
. .
23:24 Mar 24, 2021

Wurrttttttt

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
23:24 Mar 24, 2021

OML YOUR POINTS

Reply

23:56 Mar 24, 2021

😭

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies

luke we have found the downvoter but bye D:::::::::::::::::::

Reply

. .
20:30 Mar 30, 2021

I called it and told y’all that it was herrrrrrr

Reply

LUKE PLS COME BAC NOW WHY YOU LEAVE (actually i know why but D::::::)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
11:06 Apr 26, 2021

Pachinko (パチンコ) belong to Japan, do you like their literature, very nicely written

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Dhwani Jain
16:21 Aug 14, 2021

Hey Celnana! I was going through the comments here and wanted to know (if you wanna tell) who's the down-voter?

Reply

ah, this happened a long time ago lmao the downvoter has stopped and said sorry sorry bout the confusion :D

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:11 Aug 16, 2021

Okay... Fine, I mean, down voting is bad, but yeah, if they apologized, then that's good.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Radhika Diksha
17:40 Mar 29, 2021

Hey, are you there. I am sorry but I have to say this. I was telling you so much about the forthcoming problem but you never paid attention to me. I just want to know why are you leaving because of the points or your own personal life. Hope everything becomes normal and you stay happy and healthy.

Reply

. .
22:26 Mar 29, 2021

😢 Larb ya Radhika

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
13:38 Mar 24, 2021

Omg I decided to check Reedsy today and so many people were downvoted so dang much I honestly don't know if it's more funny or annoying now XD I mean someone took the time and effort to click a little arrow prob more than 10,000 times Kinda funny ngl-

Reply

. .
16:37 Mar 24, 2021

I KNOW

Reply

Kate Reynolds
17:09 Mar 24, 2021

Anyways random question: pancakes or waffles?

Reply

. .
22:10 Mar 24, 2021

Waffles lol

Reply

Kate Reynolds
11:39 Mar 25, 2021

Ooh okkkk

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Erza Scarlet
15:42 Mar 24, 2021

I thought you were inactive- ;-;

Reply

Kate Reynolds
15:47 Mar 24, 2021

I am

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Sia S
15:29 Mar 23, 2021

Wth... im off the leaderboard.

Reply

. .
17:37 Mar 23, 2021

WUT

Reply

Sia S
03:47 Mar 24, 2021

Yeah.

Reply

. .
11:43 Mar 24, 2021

NOOOOOOOOOO

Reply

Sia S
16:04 Mar 24, 2021

yup.

Reply

17:58 Jul 13, 2021

I know this is random but I love the mix of enthusiasm and deadpanning in this conversation NOOOOOO yup. XDD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pippin Took
19:46 Mar 31, 2021

Hey Luke, I noticed that you lost all your karma points and your pfp is gone. And ur bio is empty... Is everything okay or?

Reply

. .
13:23 Apr 01, 2021

Hey Perry :) Devaki downvoted me all of my points and I feel disgusted with a lot of reedsy’s stuff. I’m leaving for some time.

Reply

Pippin Took
21:18 Apr 01, 2021

Grrrrr. The nerve of some people. As if downvoting will let you on the leaderboard.... I hope you return soon. Every time I see the yellow bubble I smile, hoping you've messaged me. But take however much time you need. Just know that you have support! :D

Reply

. .
21:33 Apr 01, 2021

I will!! And in that time, I expect full fledged awesome amazing ness from you.

Reply

Pippin Took
13:35 Apr 02, 2021

Awwwww thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
03:24 Mar 30, 2021

Hey?

Reply

. .
14:03 Mar 30, 2021

Hey B...

Reply

B. W.
14:58 Mar 30, 2021

Is something wrong? Are you leaving?

Reply

. .
20:46 Mar 30, 2021

Yeah

Reply

B. W.
20:58 Mar 30, 2021

You don't have to tell me, but is it because of stuff happening on here? or something different?

Reply

. .
21:39 Mar 30, 2021

It’s the stuff on here... but I’ll pop back in a little

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
00:09 Mar 30, 2021

LUKE WTH DOES YOU'RE BIO MEAN????????????????

Reply

. .
14:00 Mar 30, 2021

Larb ya always Kate 😥

Reply

Kate Reynolds
14:39 Mar 30, 2021

Larb you too QwQ Remember to mention me when you become a world famous author ToT

Reply

. .
20:46 Mar 30, 2021

I willllll

Reply

Kate Reynolds
21:04 Mar 30, 2021

:)) Are you leaving permanently? Can you maybe still pop in once in a while..? *hopeful face*

Reply

. .
21:39 Mar 30, 2021

I’ll pop in once in a while ;)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Riddhi Shedge
19:25 Mar 29, 2021

Wow...I decided to check Reedsy after so long and it's so sad that there is so much downvoting. Lovely story as usual. :)

Reply

Riddhi Shedge
19:28 Mar 29, 2021

Well, I shall go back to my break now. Never stop writing. Lots of love, Riddhi

Reply

. .
22:26 Mar 29, 2021

Awww larb ya Riddhi :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
22:26 Mar 29, 2021

You too Cel 😓

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:50 Mar 22, 2021

OHHHHHHH MY GOSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH The emotions in this are insane. Like Dorsa said, you can be a film maker! The emotions just feel so real and heartbreaking. The Minor Errors Police didn't have to stop by your house 👏🏾 I loved this story so much!!! Great job!!! :DDD Is the emoji puzzle The Wings of the Dove by Henry James?

Reply

. .
12:32 Mar 23, 2021

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!! No it’s notttt

Reply

12:40 Mar 23, 2021

Np :) Ummm you told Nainika when she guessed that her last two words "white women" were close (I wasn't stalking I swear I just stumbled upon that thread), soooo The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins?

Reply

. .
12:52 Mar 23, 2021

YESH. SHE KEPT ON GUESSING WITH ONE THOUSAND FOR SOME REASON LOL

Reply

12:56 Mar 23, 2021

Yay! Lol it was prob misinterpretation.

Reply

. .
13:31 Mar 23, 2021

I said it five timesssssss

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:23 Mar 29, 2021

Gah, I still can’t believe you’re leaving! 😭 I understand why, though. I’ll miss you <333

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Dorsa S.
13:14 Mar 22, 2021

THE FIRST LINE CAUGHT ME- "The cold spring air hung in shrouds over the dark expanse of earth." this story is emotional and it touched my soul. when she sobbed over the flower i- you can be a filmmaker and a writer. i could feel the emotion through my screen. how do you do it? can't wait for the rest of this series! I GOT A NEW STORY TOO AND I NEED YOUR AWESOME CRITIQUE!

Reply

. .
13:14 Mar 22, 2021

HEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEHEE THANKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DORSA

Reply

Dorsa S.
13:16 Mar 22, 2021

YES OF COURSEE!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 0 replies
Sia S
14:18 Mar 30, 2021

Will you be on wattpad?

Reply

. .
14:26 Mar 30, 2021

No... we can exchange emails if you want

Reply

Sia S
14:30 Mar 30, 2021

I would love too. But I'm not sure if I can do that. Internet. I'm so sorry. I totally trust you, but woyb hackers and spammers? Are you on pinterest ?

Reply

. .
14:34 Mar 30, 2021

Yeah I get it. Nope, nothing, nada, zilch.

Reply

Sia S
14:35 Mar 30, 2021

Triste. ANY other way?

Reply

. .
15:11 Mar 30, 2021

Not reallyyy

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
13:40 Mar 30, 2021

LUKEEEE WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sia S
13:17 Mar 30, 2021

https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/brian-kits/

Reply

Show 0 replies

What...Your gone? Gone gone? No more mad harry potters?

Reply

. .
14:03 Mar 30, 2021

Yeah... 😥

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vera Vuscoe
17:54 Mar 29, 2021

Wait wait wait.... You said see ya in your bio... YOU LEAVE?!?! BTW if you don't answer this in ten days, I assume yes! 🥺🥺🥺 - Person you probably don't know of (aka Starlight)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.