200 comments

Inspirational Drama Sad

Time stands still, lurking on the edges of our sanctuary. A thief, churning with waves of jealousy unable to be contained. I grimace. Not a single morning goes by without unwanted thoughts plaguing my mind and leaving my malnourished frame shaking with despair.

Your small hand finds its way to mine, and I resist the urge to smile. Of course, you would know. You understood better than most, despite your youth. Time has not been merciful to you either, has it? I hold you close under the protective branches of the weeping cherry tree overhead and watch as the sun blooms on the horizon, gleaming petals of light stretching outward into the rich blue and leaving streaks of brilliant gold in its wake. You snuggle into my embrace and let out a contented sigh. A few minutes of calm, the distant call of a mockingbird and our matching breaths the only noise in this fragile moment.

A butterfly dances by, a whirl of color against the backdrop of an awakening sky. You giggle and run to chase it past the blooms. I watch the two of you play, a flower of the sky playing with a flower of the earth. Both dashing fast in an erratic path, guided by a soundless serenade of the striking spring blossoms.

I sigh. It had been years since I could let my hair down and relax as a human being instead of a human doing. But that was where Time and I stood on different ground. With my grief from watching you came a joy unlike anything I have ever felt. It numbed the weight of responsibility the world had placed on my unprepared shoulders. The future was always something I had worried about, something that had dubbed me the title of “worrywart” years ago. I am not sure if it was because of my growing mind and lack of wisdom, but I never gave thought to the idea that my life was only a speck in the earth’s timeline. I thought I had a long while before I had to stand on my own two feet and be accountable for not only my life but someone else’s as well. So much time that I let it slide through my fingers like sand, so much that I merely watched as it flew across the empty horizon, never to come back. I realized too late that I did have a lot of time, but I had wasted it, always waiting for tomorrow. 

But now, as your dancing brown eyes light up with the rising sun and your cheerful giggles reach my ears, the pressure of unpaid bills, dirty dishes, the laundry, grime-encrusted crevices, and empty cupboards were not the foremost thing in my mind; I was only concentrating on you, a little bundle of laughter and warm hugs, my little bundle of laughter and warm hugs. An angel whose life rested in the hands of a woman who could not take control of her own, a queen whose life rested in the hands of a good-for-nothing peasant. Nonetheless, you were mine, all chubby cheeks and flaxen hair and sticky fingers and goofy grins. And you were not going to go anywhere. I swore to protect you that day, and I keep my promises, no matter what they cost me.

Regardless of everything I had to face prior, I would never have thought that such a promise would cost me my heart.

◽◽◽

The dark, onyx-colored clouds had vanished, as though wisps of vapor, and the water glistened like a quilt of molten silver. My heart aches at the sight of the glittering surface created by the moonlight bathing the cerulean depths of the lake. Our lake. I have to curl my fingers to keep from reaching out to your spot next to me, now empty. You are always on my mind, calling out to me. I long to carry you again, to put my arms around you and never let go. To keep you away from Time, away from everything in this world. Just me and you. I wanted to spend every moment of my life with you, my little one. But someone like you, a soul too pure for this world, could not remain here. Time did not allow it. 

Time. The one constant in the chaos of life. I can lose all that matters, but Time will always follow on my heels, waiting patiently to take me the way it has done to you. I used to be afraid of it. I would try to escape its clutches in an attempt to protect you, thinking that Time was nothing but a thief. I should not have been so naive. Something as old as Time itself would not be satisfied as a mere thief, scrounging for things ignorant people leave behind. No, Time would accept nothing but the very best. A merchant on the hunt for things we do not value enough until it is gone. Like you, my little one. It took me too long to realize that for some of us, today might be our last tomorrow and that Time was finally at our door, not a thief, but a merchant, finally receiving word of the treasure I carried with me day and night but never stopped to give the proper attention and love to. 

At least I have learned my lesson. I am not afraid of Time anymore, for I know it is only a friend. Time has given me deep thought in exchange for my naive subconscious, vivid memories for my diminishing sight, inner beauty for my outside appeal. I await it. I await you. For only when we reunite, my darling, will my sorrow cease.

Until then, I must be patient. I must go on. Like old times, I cross my legs and look ahead of me, your name on my lips. My hand rests on my lap, where your warm weight should have been. There is nothing but moon speckled darkness, but contrary to how it was only minutes ago, it was no longer the kind of utter blackness that swallowed a person whole. It was instead a shadowy world, full of monsters, sure, but also creatures of light. 

Regardless of my pain, Time stands still, waiting for me the way it always did, the way it always does, and the way it always will. But this time, Time does not wait for me alone. Your dazzling smile and vibrant eyes burn in my vision, more brilliant than the twinkling stars overhead. The moon gives me a sense of comfort, too, its soft silvery glow a guide for me in what would otherwise have been a maze of impenetrable blackness, and I know that I will be alright.

November 20, 2020 06:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

200 comments

02:43 Nov 24, 2020

Great job! This story wasn't like any I have ever read, it didn't have any dialogue and a big adventure plot but it was really beautiful and had more of a futuristic or emotional plot. It had a great poetic feel to it that made it flow very very nicely. (also I just HAD to upvote you to 12345 cause you were pretty close and it is just perfect number:) (also is it your birthday? If so Happy Birthday!!)

Reply

Ariadne .
06:03 Nov 25, 2020

Tysm! Haha, my bday was actually on the 22nd, but thank you anyway! :)

Reply

14:20 Nov 25, 2020

Of course! Oh, Okay, well happy late birthday then! I hope your day was amazing!!

Reply

Ariadne .
18:36 Nov 30, 2020

Aw, thanks Blair! I did, and hope you did too!

Reply

17:31 Dec 01, 2020

No problem! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
02:36 Dec 18, 2020

Hey Ria. I don't mean to nag, but are you okay? I completely understand if you're taking a break from Reedsy for a while. I'm kind of worried about you though. Please answer if/when you're back. xoxo, hope you're okay, sending virtual... uh... roses?

Reply

Ariadne .
22:42 Dec 19, 2020

Aww, you're so sweet. I love how my virtual buddies seem to care more about my well-being than my parents lmao I'm okay. Just keeping convos to a minimum and trying to keep up with my wackadoodle fam. Now that it's winter break (YAYAYAYAY!!!) it's rather crazy in our house... at least, more so than usual. *gasps* Roses! How thoughtful. I shall keep them on my desk forever and ever. Perks of them being virtual. :)

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
23:44 Dec 20, 2020

Omg, you answeredddd! Thanks! Lol, sometimes it be like that, as Kane Brown once stated. Alright, I'm glad you're good! Can totally relate. OMGGGG I DON'T HAVE WINTER BREAK YETTTT! So jelly. Mine starts this Wednesday, and I'm going to go sledding with one of my guyfriends that day >:D Lol, I totally understand. *smiles and bows* I'm glad you like them, madame Ria.

Reply

Ariadne .
18:07 Dec 21, 2020

Of course I did! Yup, exactly. Aww. That's terrible! I actually took my finals earlier (since everything is online, my teachers have us a week-long range to take the 3-hour final in) so I could get done with it. So Monday was terrible but the rest of the week was gold. Oooh, have funnn!!!! Sledding is amazinggggg!! *tips head forward in acknowledgment and smiles a very, very, tiny, hardly noticeable smile because nodding and speaking and not smiling as though she's constipating are actions worthy of peasants, not queens gifted with roses*

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
18:26 Dec 21, 2020

Yeah, my break starts on December 23rd and ends on January 2nd :P Sledding is REALLY fun, and all he does is play soccer so I'm really looking forward to taking him with me, lol. *gasps* Ria! Are you calling me a peasant? Sure, I'm just a lowly farm girl, but I didn't expect that from you! *takes back her smile and smiles a delicate, tiny smile*

Reply

Ariadne .
20:35 Dec 21, 2020

*smirks* Well, MINE ends on the 5th. So there. ;) At least you're going somewhere! Where I'm at, COVID is at an all-time high so lockdown is keeping us from going anywhere. It's exhausting. *arches one eyebrow delicately* Are you questioning my judgment? *sees Raquel's smaller smile and purses lips approvingly before walking away, cape billowing behind her* Seriously, though, I am OBSESSED with billowing dark capes. It's rather unhealthy.

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
21:21 Dec 16, 2020

OMG RIA IT'S SNOWING AAAAA I'M CHOKING, I'M DYING, I'M SNEEZING, I'M BREATHING, I'M SNIFFLING, I'M HYPERVENTILATING, I'M SMILING SO HARD MY FACE HURTS. Okay, I'm not insane, I SWEAR. Every time I think about the fact that it's snowing, I scream. Now everyone's staring at me like I'm crazy, lol. But I'm not crazy. Right? OMG IT'S FREAKING SNOWINGGGGGG!!!

Reply

Ariadne .
22:39 Dec 19, 2020

Aw, how poetic. I wish it snowed here where I'm at, but alas, it does not and I shall have to deal. At least the ocean is nearby. That's always nice. No, not crazy. Snow is gorgeous. :)

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
23:51 Dec 20, 2020

Lol, this is just a rant I guess. Aw, yeah. You have the ocean near, that's great. Yes, it is, I completely agree. But living by the ocean must be nice! :)

Reply

Ariadne .
01:02 Dec 21, 2020

A very beautiful rant. :) I guess. I mean, I don't go there often, but I guess it's pretty neat. Still, snow is super cool.

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
12:41 Dec 21, 2020

Why, thank you! Yeah, I like both. I love how water feels and I love to swim in it, I love how snow is so soft and I love to sled on it, but not get hypothermia or frostbite.

Reply

Ariadne .
17:57 Dec 21, 2020

Exactly! They're both amazing. Honestly, you can find beauty in EVERYTHING though. Like the other day, I was kinda hypnotized by the leaves falling. idk, I just had a random feeling that the wind whistling and the swishy noises were the leaves chattering amongst themselves. So you know, random little pretty things are all over. :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rhondalise Mitza
04:35 Dec 01, 2020

Hey hey number five! I'm beyond proud of you for making it this far with only six stories. :) Keep writing, and let that downvoter know he'll never best us.

Reply

Ariadne .
05:02 Dec 01, 2020

I— wait, what? OMG, I just checked and I think my heart stopped. I was literally 6th seconds ago. What has the world become? Thank you, though. Means a lot. :) I feel so terrible. Ugh, I can't even compare with the likes of you and Amany and Maya and Scout and Ru -- the list goes on. Oh, yes, of course. How can he? First off, we’re women. That’s enough of a reason as it is, but throw in our questionable sanity and he doesn’t stand a chance. :)

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
05:22 Dec 01, 2020

💖you’re doing great! And I know many people will disagree with me, but if the point system does anything, it encourages us to stay connected! Also you’ve got visibility ! I’ve been number five before and it’s cool, but I nine is pretty trucking fantastic as wellll. I entered a 3k prize writing contest though. Wish me luck! 😂

Reply

Ariadne .
05:38 Dec 01, 2020

You are too kind. Thank you! :) "pretty trucking fantastic" Perfection. 👌 I’m using that in front of my parents from now on. Freaking is so last year. Good luck! You won’t need it, but still. And dang, when you’re all rich and famous, I’m definitely calling dibs on being your sister-in-crime. Nobody else gets to snag that spot, kapeesh?

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
13:57 Dec 01, 2020

Kapeesh to the max! Good thing you know my real name haha.

Reply

Ariadne .
19:03 Dec 01, 2020

Yup. I'm so using that. We'll buy our own mansion as a backup when we ditch Cynic Manor. I guess that means I'll have to save up, too, but ah well. It'll be worth it. We'll call it Optimist Villa. Or something. Now that I think of it, that sounds like a haven for some sort of organization or political party. The Democrats, Republicans, Independents, Libertarians, Green Parties, and Optimists. Go us, creating a movement at such a young age! Wait, no, not just one -- two! Operation Shared Valentine and the Optimist Party. Wow. Aren't we ama...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
04:01 Dec 05, 2020

good luck! Im amaya btw

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
22:59 Nov 30, 2020

I'm at 5252! Wait- it was your birthday on the 22nd? Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry I missed it! Okay, happy late birthday, I hope you had so much fun and it was amazing! :) Ohmigosh, you're at 12345 still (I think, lemme check quickly) Oh... it's 12545, aw, that's too bad but 12345 is too good to stay true, lol

Reply

Ariadne .
02:20 Dec 01, 2020

OMG cooooooolll!!!! I'm so tempted to make that 5253 because I'm evil muahaha It was! It's fine, thanks anyway! When is yours, if you don’t mind me asking? Haha, it actually was at 12345 a few days ago. It only lasted for a few minutes, unfortunately (?) so… Oh, darn. I just checked your page and you have 2 more points! These things really are too good to last lmao

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
19:37 Dec 01, 2020

*Dramatic gasp* How could you, Ria?! I trusted you! Lolllll I mean someone already did, idk if it was you. When I woke up I had 5253 points and I was like, 'NOOOOOOOO!' Oh, uh, mine is December 27th :P Yeah, 12345 is such a good number, so aesthetic Oop- well, whatever :D

Reply

Ariadne .
20:21 Dec 02, 2020

*extra dramatic gasp that leaves her gasping on the floor for breath* Raquel, how can you accuse me of such a thing?! I merely said, "I'm so tempted." TEMPTED not actually doing it! My heart is breaking apart. Oooh, it's coming up soon! Can't wait! :) Haha, yeah. Good things don't last long, you know. :(

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
00:15 Dec 03, 2020

*dramatic gasp that leads her to coughing her insides out* Well, Ria, I don't know what to say... because someone did it... but it wasn't you? OR WAS IT ME?! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *coughs* Ikrrr! It's my birthday month I'm so excitedddddd! Lol, but it's okay, we could get you to 54321!!!! Though it isn't ASSS aesthetic... :P

Reply

Ariadne .
22:46 Dec 05, 2020

*giggles so hard she starts wheezing like the million-year-old grandpa she really is* Noooo you went beyond that! It's okay, 654321 is next. That'll probably take a few months haha but we'll get you there someday ;)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rhondalise Mitza
21:22 Jan 29, 2021

Hey there, Miss Flemming.

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
23:54 Feb 17, 2021

You doing alright? We miss you. <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
03:58 Nov 29, 2020

Heyyy Ria it's been a rly long time since we talked and that makes me sad :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Scout Tahoe
00:03 Nov 28, 2020

I read this in the car. And I'm so sorry I didn't get here sooner. It's breathtaking. Beautifully written and I can see how you've progressed as a writer. Really, Ria. Wow. To be honest, it's a little plotless, but in a good way. And the descriptions make up for it. "I hold you close under the protective branches of the weeping cherry tree overhead and watch as the sun blooms on the horizon, gleaming petals of light stretching outward into the rich blue and leaving streaks of brilliant gold in its wake." This is a run-on, but what can ...

Reply

Ariadne .
22:57 Dec 05, 2020

Not a problem. Glad you're here now. Thank you! It was very, very different from my usual stories. I was hesitant about submitting it since I didn't know what to think of it, but I should have known that the community here would be nice about it anyway. Oh, shoot! I tried SO hard to make the sentences shorter but I must've missed that one! Something about more poetic sentences makes it easier to write run-ons. I don't know, it could just be me. Thank you again! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Scout. It was definitely my favorite one to write. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
17:19 Nov 22, 2020

yo, Ria! It's been a while since we've talked. Buuut, happy birthdayy🌸💕🥳 hope you've had a full blast. Love you for being so supportive and kind and hilarious. You're my amazing chum!

Reply

Ariadne .
06:27 Nov 23, 2020

Aww, thanks so much! My ego is swelling with the compliments haha :) Love you tooooo <3

Reply

Orenda .
08:54 Nov 23, 2020

oh my God 😂 yess, it's your bday, swell as much as you want. ❣

Reply

Ariadne .
16:50 Nov 23, 2020

Ehe, don't let my family hear you say that! It did, definitely. It won't come back to normal (if that even makes a difference lmao) for a while sooooo

Reply

Orenda .
16:56 Nov 23, 2020

lmaoo... anyway, how have you been? How's life? Ew, i know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
02:18 Nov 21, 2020

this was so poetic and beautiful. I love the way you almost personified time, capitalizing the T was definitely the right way to go. The imagery was just *immaculate*. It was perfect, really. Tbh I think this is one of your best stories, Ria. Don't have any criticism, i know that's really annoying but I suck at giving criticism. <3

Reply

Ariadne .
06:10 Nov 23, 2020

I am so so glad you liked it! Thanks a bunch Amaya :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya W.
19:47 Dec 25, 2020

Hey Ria, I saw you were taking a break and just wanted to make sure you were doing alright. Also, I have some new stories out if you wanna read 'em!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Orenda .
15:15 Dec 16, 2020

RIAAA HELLO ARE YOU ALIVE? IF NO, WHY WASN'T I INVITED TO YOUR FUNERAL??

Reply

Amaya .
00:42 Dec 17, 2020

DON'T WORRY SHE"S OKAY I MESSAGES HER ON PINTEREST THE OTHER DAYYYY but i understand your concern

Reply

Orenda .
02:58 Dec 17, 2020

Ohh okayyy :D

Reply

Amaya .
03:51 Dec 17, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

YOU CAN MESSAGE PEOPLE ON PINTEREST WUT I’ve been on Pinterest for like a month but I hardly use my account so I still consider myself a noob 😂

Reply

Amaya .
15:36 Dec 30, 2020

YUPPPPPP IT'S GREAT lmaooo yeah im on pinterest a LOT

Reply

Yayyyyy I figured it out! Awesome lol. Last night I was on to like 10 pm for some reason. What’s ur Pinterest? I’ll follow and message you 😂

Reply

Amaya .
17:59 Dec 30, 2020

ummm could you tell me urs? i don't want to type it here because it has my real name in it

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
03:57 Dec 05, 2020

So....apparently my patronus is a horse? This is Amaya btww. Always thought it was a swan, but to be fair the last time I took the quiz was a rly rly long time ago. So, a horse-patronus Huffleclaw with more Hufflepuff. huh. Well, I actually think that describes me really really really well and much better than a swan patronus. I'm not that much like Cho lol. The horse thing is why I chose Ginny

Reply

Ariadne .
07:37 Dec 05, 2020

Wow, a horse! That’s lovely. Yeah, my patronus changes its mind all the time. I got a snake, a stallion, a field mouse (don’t ask), a doe, and a phoenix. And then I’m a Gryfferinclaw. So. Also, sorry for nit-picking, but it’s Weasley, not Weasely. It’s just messing with my brain, sorry! :)

Reply

Amaya .
17:53 Dec 05, 2020

haha you've got a TON of different ones. yeah omg i always switch between getting it right and getting it wrong lol i changed it, thx

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sam S.
10:39 Dec 04, 2020

Would ya mind checking my latest story "Clover Catastrophe"? Thanks!

Reply

Ariadne .
18:06 Dec 04, 2020

Sure. I have a lot of stories to read this week but yours is on the list now. :)

Reply

Sam S.
18:26 Dec 04, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sam S.
10:37 Dec 04, 2020

Hey Adrienne! Am I late to comment? So sorry then but couldn't help but say this story was spectacular. For some reason, the first three words "Time Stands Still" reminded me of "A Thousand Years" by Cristina Perri. It's part of the lyrics if you know that song. Anyways, great story :) ~ A

Reply

Ariadne .
18:06 Dec 04, 2020

Nobody is ever late to comment! Thanks for taking the time to read! Never heard that song, but will let you know what I think of it when I do. Edit: OMG I LOVED ITTTTT!!! Thank you for the recommendation, Angelina. :)

Reply

Sam S.
18:27 Dec 04, 2020

Anytime.... Sure! Thought you'd like it.....you're welcome :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zea Bowman
16:32 Dec 03, 2020

Hey, Adrienne! Zea again. Just stopped by to say I made yet another story...sort of like "Zombies Sound Safer Than My Family." Might be one of the last ones, so if you come to check it out and let me know what you think, that'd be super cool. If not, it's all good. Just letting ya know :)

Reply

Ariadne .
23:01 Dec 05, 2020

Sorry I'm replying so late. I lost this in my other comments. Sure! I'd love to. I have a bunch more to read first, but I'll get to yours soon. I promise. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
20:38 Dec 01, 2020

Hey Ria! Could you check out my bio? :)

Reply

Ariadne .
20:14 Dec 02, 2020

OMG U R SO SO SO NICE THANK YOUUUUUU 💕💕💕 Seriously, though, we should make an overly-dramatic people club. No joke. "ɪ'ᴍ ᴀ (ᴡᴀɴɴᴀ-ʙᴇ) ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀ ʀᴇᴀᴅᴇʀ." ~ Girl, same. Same same same same same. That is my life. Well, I'm a reader, but definitely a wanna-be author. Here's to the Overly Dramatic Author Wannabes Club! ❤

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
21:12 Dec 02, 2020

OMGGGG YAYYYY I'M SO GLAD YOU LIKE IT EEEEEEEEE Lol, definitely, I'm the most dramatic person in the ENTIRE universe! *crosses arms and sits on throne made of pure gold* Yes, lol, I'm not an author just YET. I need to be, because I need my ridiculousness to be seen by everyone in the entire world. Cheers to that! *raises half-full waterbottle*

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Eve Naden
14:36 Nov 29, 2020

This story was captivating. Your descriptions and the way you make use of the word 'onyx' are brilliant. You are super-talented.

Reply

Ariadne .
17:54 Nov 30, 2020

Thank you! I wouldn't say I'm talented necessarily, but thanks for your kind words. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zea Bowman
14:48 Nov 24, 2020

Great story! Packed with plenty of descriptions and emotion. The only thing I would suggest would be to maybe break up your paragraphs a bit more. Sometimes really big paragraphs like those can be overwhelming to the reader. Keep up the good work!

Reply

Ariadne .
06:03 Nov 25, 2020

I'll keep that in mind for future stories. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ru .
19:12 Nov 22, 2020

Hey kween of the day. Eat good food, take a breather and have fun. 🎉

Reply

Ariadne .
06:32 Nov 23, 2020

Thanks, Ru! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.