323 comments

Contemporary Friendship Happy

TW: Mentions of Anorexia and anxiety


Authors Note: hehe so a few things. This is supposed to be submitted under the prompt "Write about two people reconnecting after a rough in their relationship." However, stupid me when submitting a story a few days ago that didnt go with any of the prompts, submitted it under the exact one that this story was written to. Sorry if that made no sense at all, but basically, this story goes with this prompt: "Write about two people reconnecting after a rough in their relationship."

Not the one it's actually submitted under.

Second thing, this is a collab!!!! The wonderful Eleanor Eclipse wrote this story from Emilila's perspective, so make sure to go read that, her profile will be linked in my comment! Enjoy!


Lexie’s POV


I had formed my room to be perfect. 

And then I wanted to form myself to be exactly like my room. 

Perfect. 

Dad told me it would be better if I was perfect. 

Well, he’s never really said much to me at all, but maybe if I was enough he would care. 

He would care if I was skinnier. 

He would care if my stomach didn't poke out when I wear swimsuits. 

He would care if I looked like all the girls on the front of magazines, their ribs visible, no fat. Maybe then he would notice me instead of always fighting with Lacy or Emilila. 

Maybe he’d like me if my hair wasn't so straight, or if I wasn't covered in freckles. 

I felt like I needed his approval on everything, but I wouldn't get his approval until I was his perfect little daughter. 

And then Emilila and Lacy were introduced. 

Father fell head over heels for that woman. 

That woman and her perfect little daughter who fit in immediately. 

When I turned 16 and got my driver's license, it was my only way to escape everything. The yelling, the fighting, the blaming, the insults. In father's mind everything is pinned on a certain person. I just don't know how to trust him anymore. I went out to buy my first car right when I could. It was the escape I needed.

I snap out of my daze as the front door slams shut. 

Father is a stickler for timing and he always comes home at five o'clock, never a minute under or a minute over. 

Emilila scampers up the stairs, her tight brown curls bouncing up and down as she reaches the top.

We meet eyes as I step slowly out of my room and a look of fear is plastered on her face. Her pale blue eyes darting around as her hands tremble. She bites her lip and I can see the tears she holds back. 

As the word loudly leaves my father’s mouth, I’m stunned halfway down the stairs.

“Divorce.” 

Great, now I was gonna be stuck with my father alone in this hell house. I slipped past Emilila and ventured my way downstairs, avoiding the beast in the living room. And yet his stone cold eyes catch me like a hawk. 

“Go back upstairs. I don't need any more worthless kids running around my house.” 

The words hit me like a bullet and I stand there shocked. I can't move my feet as father glares at me.

“Lexie Madden, do your ears not work? I told you to go upstairs.” 

He repeats, his voice becoming even more stern the second time. 

Lacy inches past my father and runs over to me, resting a hand on my shoulder. 

“Did you need anything, dear?” 

A father that cares. Is what I think about saying but I shake my head in response.

 Lacy smiles sweetly and nods. 

“I can make you a snack! Your appetite seems a little low lately.”

I shake my head again, wanting to avoid that situation and force a smile back. 

“I’m ok, thanks Lacy. I’ve got a lot of homework anyways, so I should go upstairs.” 

I duck under Lacy’s arm and hurry back to my room, shutting the door and grabbing my ear buds. I can feel the tears rising in my throat as I snatch my iPod off my desk and collapse onto my bed, the guilt rising in my head. I should've done a workout today, should've eaten less for breakfast, and forgot to weigh myself. God, I hate my brain. 

After 20 minutes of the fighting, the voices grow quiet and I hear father retreat to his room, and Emilila trotting down the stairs. 

I follow her, knowing Lacy will suspect something if I don't come for dinner and slip into my usual spot at the table. 

Lacy spoons out soup for each of us and sits down next to Emilila. Silence rests over us, tension sending us off into our own worlds. 

I force myself out of it and glance over at Lacy, who stares at Emilila with a worried look on her face. 

“You alright?” I ask, standing up. 

Emilila nods, but I don’t believe it as I rest the back of my hand against her forehead.

 “You’re burning up!” I watch as Emilila nods again and closes her eyes, Lacy standing up. 

“I’m just tired, probably a bug from school.” She mumbles. 

Lacy grabs an ice pack and sends Emilila upstairs and I take it as my opportunity to escape the table. 

Once I’m safely in my room, I drag over my desk chair to the window next to my bed and disappear into the world of music. Salty tears roll down my cheeks as I pull my hair out of the bun and rest my head against the window. 

The music drowns out noises from downstairs, father’s complaints from his bedroom and sends me into a peaceful abyss. 

Halfway through my playlist, someone taps my shoulder. 

My hand flies up and I pull the earbuds out of my ears and turn to find a shaking Emilila who stutters as she tries to muster some words. “

“Not here, ok?” I say, pushing my window open. 

The outdoors greets me with a cool breeze, drying the tears still smudged on my cheeks.

I climb out into a tree right next to my window and climb down, Emilila close behind me.

I get in my car and let Emilila into the passenger street and start it up, pulling out of the driveway.

After moments of silence, Emilila bursts into tears and tucks her knees into her chest.

I turn on my headlights and sigh, unsure what to say. 

“So I’m getting the feeling something’s going on that’s more than school?” 

Emilila shrugs, then slowly nods, glancing over at me. 

“What happened at dinner?” I ask. 

“They’re not working!”

“What’s not working?” I ask again, turning off our street. 

“Those stupid pills! I get so nervous that I can’t breathe so I shove one of those stupid pills down my throat and it just makes it worse!!!” She yells, heavy tears streaming down her cheeks. 

“I feel like I can’t ever catch my breath, like I’m always on the verge of running out of air. Like I’m drowning in a pool of my thoughts.” Emilila finishes, her voice shaky. 

“What are you afraid of happening?” 

Emilila opens her mouth then closes it, going silent. 

“I-I don't know I always convince myself that someone's gonna die or I’m gonna die or someone's gonna take me, or that no one likes me, I just end up getting trapped in my own thoughts.” 

I pull into a parking lot and stop the car, turning to face Emilila. She shakes in the seat, her eyes focused ahead and her breath quickens. 

“Let’s play a game,” I suggest, and she looks at me but nods, snapping her head back to a forwards position. 

“Tell me about that really annoying kid in your class. What was his name, Joel?” 

Emilila nods, still dazed and afraid. 

“And he always tries to bring his rat to school?” 

Emilila nods again, her lips curving a bit, but quickly goes back to a frown as her hands shake more. 

“And he always talks about his business?” 

Emilila lets out a small laugh, and my heart slows down a bit. 

“What’s his business?” 

“H-he makes cardboard weapons.” She said through a mix of a laugh and a sob. 

“And corrects the teachers.” She adds, taking a deep breath. She closes her eyes and wipes a few tears off her face. 

“Why don't we go home, alright?” 

She nods and I pull out of the parking lot and start on the road home, putting on a Broadway playlist. For the first time in a while, the drive home didn't feel so lonely. It’s people who had never gotten along quite like they just did. Emilila and I. 


It’s a year later and god am I ready to turn 18. 

Emilila has been moping around the house for about a month now because even if father is gone and Lacy takes care of both of us, she’s definitely not ideal to take care of a 13-year-old. Though her basically living at the gym helped Emilila and I grow closer. 

We got better at sticking together through her anxiety attacks and my anorexia. 

Everything just feels so real now. Emilila has helped me build the reality I wanted. It’s far from perfect, and definitely still has its problems, but it’s improved. And Emilila’s gonna have to quit her moping by next week. I’ve got a few surprises up my sleeve. 


18 was probably my best birthday since like 3.

Emilila and I spent the entire day driving around blaring our Broadway playlist and belting our hearts out.

It’s the end of the night and Emilila is in my room helping me pack.

I can tell she’s holding in tears and I’m struggling to hold in my surprise.

Once the last suitcase is zipped, Emilila starts to leave when I stop her and run over to my desk. I pull out a large yellow envelope and she looks at me, cocking her head. 

“Open it,” I say, my smile growing. My heart flutters as her long fingers rip open the seal.

She glances up at me after a few seconds and I nod, uncontrolable excitement building in side of me.

Her hand reaches in and pulls out one of the many adoption papers that I had stuffed in there the other day. 

Her blue eyes well with tears as she holds up the paper. 

“Is this?” 

“All you have to do is sign it.” I say, wrapping my arms around her. As I hold her in my arms my life-with it's many struggles-feels put together.

I'm no longer trapped in the cage of numbers and sizes. No longer shoved down by words and insults.

Emilila had set me free.

And just hours later, we were finally together permanently. It’s just us. Emilila and I.

February 19, 2021 21:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

323 comments

Hey there! Just checking in...You okay?

Reply

20:38 Feb 21, 2021

Aw, you're so nice! Thanks for checking in! I'm doing ok, a little sad since many people are leaving, but I've been having a sort of me day so it's going ok:) How are you doing?

Reply

If anythings going on-just talk to someone aight? 'Cuz I've been reading yours and Sapphires profile picture.

Reply

15:51 Feb 22, 2021

Ok:) Yeah, there've been some things going on, but the crazy sisters have risen from the groundXD Thanks for asking and being here:)

Reply

Aww-okay. I know I'm not the first person on your list to talk to (the last, most likely.) But still talk to anyone okay? Don't leaveee!

Reply

15:59 Feb 22, 2021

It's always nice to know someone cares, and I promise I'll talk it out if I need to:) Thank you so much and I also promise I wont leaveee:))) Are you doing ok?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
23:30 Feb 19, 2021

I- *whispers* It's so beautiful..... This was such a great collab (like all your collabs) and I loved it so much! I think the ending could've had more elaboration, you know, more emotion, but the last sentence is absolutely perfect. (don't you dare change it) It was such a beautiful story filled to the rim with emotion I don't know how you manage to do it, to write so great! Once again Luna, spectacular job :) (gah now whenever I type Luna I think of Lulu gosh)

Reply

23:41 Feb 19, 2021

tank uuuuuuu lol ok, I wont change the last line, but I will go back and fix the resttttt:) thank youuuu Saphhh hehe Lulu is gonna be my next name changeXDD

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
00:05 Feb 20, 2021

Mhm :) NO PROBLEMM!!!! Oh crap XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amara Tillington
15:45 Mar 01, 2021

FIRST STORY OUT!!!!!

Reply

15:48 Mar 01, 2021

OMG CONGRATS!!!!! I'll read it in a few minutes!!!!!!!

Reply

Amara Tillington
22:02 Mar 01, 2021

Yay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
16:02 Feb 26, 2021

part 4 out! Don't ask me how i write so fast :)

Reply

16:16 Feb 26, 2021

jkhdfjkj I cant keep upppppppp

Reply

TJ Squared
16:18 Feb 26, 2021

XDDD Part 5 will defiantly be out this week....maybe even tomorrow XDDDD But if it doesn't happen tomorrow, it won't happen until Monday :) And take your time! No body is forcing you to read this right this second! I'm just alerting you that it's up :)

Reply

16:20 Feb 26, 2021

XDDD I need it soonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn;) lol I'm responding to this after reading it alreadyXDD They're too good, I cant waittttt

Reply

TJ Squared
16:21 Feb 26, 2021

XDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:51 Feb 25, 2021

Hi Luna! Wanna be in my friends clan?

Reply

20:01 Feb 25, 2021

sure!! How does it work?

Reply

20:05 Feb 25, 2021

We basically do reedsy cast stuff together, and I have cool quizzes I've been making where you can come up with cool names based off words you choose. I only have one so far, but I'll make more! And if anyone's getting bullied or downvoted you can reach out to other people in the clan and we'll spread the word.

Reply

23:24 Feb 25, 2021

oooh ok! Couple questions: 1. By "reedsy cast stuff" do you mean we write them together or something else? 2. Do I have to put the name I get/make up using the words from the quiz thing in my reedsy name? And if I do, is that like all the time? I think that's it, and this sounds like a really cool idea!!

Reply

15:39 Feb 26, 2021

Basically, if I do a reedsy cast, you get the link first because I can reach you faster. Other people can still get in, but you're more likely to get it first. I had to look all over to find friends I wanted to be in my first, and it took a while, so I was hoping this could help us find friends to put in your stories. I will make more name things, and you CAN put them in your Reedsy name, but you can ALSO put them in your bio. I'd suggest doing the fonts, so it doesn't get lowercased if you put it in your name. The name quizzes are gonna ch...

Reply

16:15 Feb 26, 2021

oooh ok, that makes sense ok! I'll probably switch between name and bio because sometimes I like just having the regular name, ya know?:) ok! hmmm kdfhkj Idk I like bothhhhhhhh Thanks for answering!! lolXD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
20:30 Feb 24, 2021

Diamond Blade is posteddd! (I made you set a painting of your tomato ex on fire) XDD

Reply

20:35 Feb 24, 2021

yuktgvhbuguylgeaipgebKAIURBF;AIEUBGF SO FREAKING EXCITEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
20:36 Feb 24, 2021

HEHEHEHEEHHE XDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
18:09 Feb 24, 2021

part 2 out! (Legions of Legends)

Reply

18:12 Feb 24, 2021

yay! I'll read it after school!!

Reply

TJ Squared
18:13 Feb 24, 2021

okay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:34 Feb 23, 2021

This was soo cotton candy-y! Ok, weird compliment, I know, but that means that this was soo sweet!XD =)

Reply

14:35 Feb 23, 2021

lol thank you!!! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hope Reynolds
20:57 Feb 22, 2021

Oh my gosh, Anson Seabra? I kind of just more discovered his music, and right now I love "the Dawning of Spring" by him! Ok, Gotta read your story.

Reply

21:41 Feb 22, 2021

Yes I love The Dawning of Spring! I also really like "Welcome to Wonderland", "Hurricane", and "Walked through Hell." :)

Reply

Hope Reynolds
23:56 Feb 22, 2021

Thanks for the recommendations!!! How did you hear about him? Or is he more popular than I realize XD

Reply

23:57 Feb 22, 2021

hmmm I dont remember? Maybe youtube? I think he's becoming more popular but not like crazy popular:)

Reply

Hope Reynolds
00:10 Feb 23, 2021

okay! (thumbs up) Gonna look one up :) .

Reply

01:12 Feb 23, 2021

ok!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
20:55 Feb 22, 2021

Luna? You there?

Reply

21:40 Feb 22, 2021

hehe sorry, my mom had to drag me away from my reedsy addiction for a few hours to go shoppingXDDD Everything alright?

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
21:46 Feb 22, 2021

*this convo has been moved im pretty sure*

Reply

21:48 Feb 22, 2021

k

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:39 Feb 22, 2021

BIANAAAAAA

Reply

00:22 Feb 27, 2021

XDD

Reply

lol- THoFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Reply

00:40 Feb 27, 2021

it's struggling under my procrastination and writers block tbdXD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Echo Sundar
16:24 Feb 22, 2021

I was looking through my followers and I saw Marella and I was like who is this? did I follow someone accidentally? But then of course I clicked on you and I was like ohhhhhh its still Luna. I personally like Keefe the most but Marella has some spunk. Okay about the story. I thought it was really really sweet and so perfect! Another great story!

Reply

16:29 Feb 22, 2021

yea, I feel like I'm always changing my nameXD I was lulu 20 minutes ago sooooooXD I love Keefe, but Marella is probably one of my fav female characters, idk why, but I just like herXD thanks Rachel!! I'm so glad you liked it!!

Reply

Echo Sundar
16:36 Feb 22, 2021

I love the name lulu. Lulu and lola I lvoe those names.

Reply

16:43 Feb 22, 2021

yea, they're really pretty:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Wait Nainika left? JUST NOW? SHE WAS ON MY PAGE....... :(

Reply

14:04 Feb 22, 2021

yea:( She said she might come back, but it's not definite or anything:(((

Reply

I checked it out, she said she'd be back someday.

Reply

14:06 Feb 22, 2021

oh good:) She'll definitely be missed while she's gone tho:/

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
ℂ𝕁 𝕄.
15:45 Feb 21, 2021

I really like this story. I could connect to what Emilia was saying when she was talking about how she gets lost in her own thoughts and convinces herself that she's gonna die. I always wonder right before I go to bed if I'm going to wake up the next morning in the same spot I went to bed in or wake up at all. You were the first person to fill out that form for the Reedsy cast story I am writing! I did forget to put one question though the question was gonna be "What's your character's hobby?" please answer that! I have a question about your...

Reply

17:11 Feb 21, 2021

thanks CJ! Glad you could relate to the character a little:) now answers to your questions! Hobby: Archery and horseback riding I would be totally fine with Beatrice being your characters little sister! You're welcome to craft your story how ever you like and Bea will do what you tell her:) Thanks for including my character!!:D

Reply

ℂ𝕁 𝕄.
18:25 Feb 21, 2021

You're welcome!!! :DDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:54 Feb 20, 2021

hi luna! i love this story, the emotion was felt really well throughout the whole thing. great job! also, I wanna talk to someone XD

Reply

20:21 Feb 20, 2021

hi! aw thank youuuuu glad you liked it!!!:) sry this response is a little late, I was at practice:) how are you doing? Anything fun going on? Or happening over the weekend? Thanks for reading it!!:D

Reply

20:23 Feb 20, 2021

oh ok :) im writing a story and its ma cousins bday!

Reply

20:23 Feb 20, 2021

oh cool!! is the story for reedsy? Are you doing anything fun with your cousin to celebrate?

Reply

20:25 Feb 20, 2021

yeha the story is :) we're in the middle of the bday party rn

Reply

20:26 Feb 20, 2021

oooh what prompt? aw fun!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

pls stay with me D:::::::::: I hate when people leave :(

Reply

00:36 Feb 20, 2021

you're not getting rid of me that easy, Celeste<3 I might take some brief breaks, a day or two at a time, but I'm not leaving permanently any time soon:)

Reply

01:40 Feb 20, 2021

:))))<33

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:09 Feb 19, 2021

15th story!!! Yay!!! This one was a little short but I had so much fun writing it!! Here's the link to Eleanor's side of the story: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/81/submissions/55713/ She's an amazing author and I had a lot of fun with this collab! Ok a few notes! 1. THotF pt 3 will be out by hopefully this coming friday or the one after! If you want to be included in it let me know and I'll add you in!! 2. I need some feedbackkkkkkk!!!!! Feedback is the best way for an writer to grow so it's greatly appreciated...

Reply

14:35 Feb 23, 2021

Seriously?, can I be a character?

Reply

14:36 Feb 23, 2021

yessssssss lemme grab the questions

Reply

14:37 Feb 23, 2021

Yeah! I wanna be an evil mastermind who always burns pizza. Or something like that, I don't care much.

Reply

14:41 Feb 23, 2021

XDDD That sounds like an interesting characterXD here are the questions Name(can be your pen name or a dif name): Eye Color: Hair(type color style): Skin tone: Power(magical): Element: Species(you can be human, just thought I'd throw it in): Personality: Clothes: Weakness(not physical, so like jealousy or smth): Weapon: And then would you mind choosing a job at the castle? There's guards, explorers, detective work, part of the royal family, or if you have another idea lmk and I can work it in!!:D

Reply

14:01 Feb 24, 2021

WARNING: this is looooooong because I added ‘some’ additional info EVERYWHERE. It’s all not needed actually, it’s better if you said less about this character, they are actually shady and all but what to do, I love character designing. Sorry! AKHE Name- Akhenelen Efer, or just Akhe. Even Akhe can’t remember the full name without some effort so it is never used, except by old spirits or prophesies or stuff like that. But the chance of Akhe’s name getting into anything that sinister is just 0.001% and even if it does get into something like ...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
00:15 May 24, 2021

wowowwowowowwoww nice one. Interesting one. coolio one XD i like how they bonded and decided to help each other out, that must be nice. There was not much descriptiveness but other than that, everything went so smoothly. kjhgfghjkjhgghjhgjkjhvjkjhgghjjhv

Reply

00:39 May 24, 2021

XDD thanks!! yeah, I always find collabs a bit harder to describe...not sure why I'm also rly bad at descriptions soooooo thx for reading all of these!! Like I said before, it means a lot!!

Reply

TJ Squared
00:44 May 24, 2021

it happens, prolly cause collabs are action packed lol. you're very welcome! It's a pleasure!

Reply

00:45 May 24, 2021

haha yea

Reply

TJ Squared
00:55 May 24, 2021

yesh How have you been?

Reply

00:56 May 24, 2021

eh I've been ok:) hbu?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
10:12 Mar 10, 2021

Hi there, Luna! I saw you (well, I hope it's you) did my creative form, so I wanted to say hi. So, HI! I saw your ranty bio, and honestly, I think I have found someone who matches my ranting powers, because, yes, I do it a lot. Anyway, onto your story. I really liked reading this story, it was nice to see Lexie was set free. [I'm no longer trapped in the cage of numbers and sizes. No longer shoved down by words and insults.] That was my favourite part. Amazing work! :D

Reply

12:28 Mar 10, 2021

Hi!!! lol ranty powers ruleeeeeeeeeeeeee that's probably one of my fav lines too. Thank you for reading and it was nice to talk to/meet you!!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
20:09 Mar 10, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:40 Mar 05, 2021

Hello!, have you disappeared from the face of earth or something? (em, let me guess, on an unexpected vacation to Mars? To Jupiter's moons? Saturn's rings?)

Reply

14:42 Mar 05, 2021

XDD I might have. Been a bit of a uh lazy week you could say so I'm gonna speed write today on my flight to my cousins houseXD oooh Mars sounds a lot more fun then just my bedroomXDD

Reply

10:59 Mar 06, 2021

yaa, like there is nothing sinister than boredom right now i am bored to death i am bored to death Arh, i am bored to Afterlife! XD

Reply

17:54 Mar 06, 2021

ikkkkkkkkkkkkXD

Reply

05:29 Mar 07, 2021

are you working on ANYTHING right now?

Reply

13:30 Mar 07, 2021

Lol I working on pt 3 of THotF a stand-alone for one of the prompts and a collab with Sia:D Wbu

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.