127 comments

Fantasy

Hot tears rolled down Maiela’s face, and she clenched her hands even tighter. Phaendar’s words comforted her, but only slightly. It had been two weeks since buildings had set on fire in Saginaw above the citizens, and it wasn’t getting any better. The residents of the city were still protesting, and the virus was not giving up, either.

“And Lord, we would wish that you help the people of Saginaw above us and us through this. These times are the worst that anyone has ever gone through, and we hope that things can get better with your help. Thank you. Amen.” Maiela heard several sniffles as they all repeated Phaendar’s last word, and she wiped her tears away the moment her hands were free.

“Thank you, Phaendar, for those beautiful words. Now, everyone, go home to your families. Nothing is needed for you to do tonight. I will see you all tomorrow.” Her fellow members got up and left the room silent. Maiela stayed sitting and stayed there for another hour. After finally getting tired of sitting there alone, she got up and went home.


---


Sasha came rushing up to Maiela the second she walked in the door. She started talking about how her day was since it was her first day staying at home alone.

“Sasha, honey. I’m exhausted. I’m going to take a nap, and then you can tell me about all of the things that you did today when I wake up. Okay?” Giving her a reassuring smile, Sasha gave Maiela a half-hearted smile back. Maiela walked into her bedroom and flopped onto her bed. Her head barely hit the pillow before she was asleep.


---


“Mother? Wake up, please. Father still isn’t home from work, and it’s already time for dinner. Mother!” Sasha shook Maiela, and she groggily opened my eyes.

“What time is it?” Rolling her eyes, Sasha checked her watch.

“Seven. You were sleeping for pretty much three hours.” Maiela ignored her daughter’s sass and rolled out of bed. As she sauntered out of the room, Maiela heard Sasha sigh while she followed. “What are you hungry for?” The pair walked into the kitchen, and Maiela went to the pantry. Sasha leaned up against the counter.

“Pasta sounds good. Do we have the stuff to make chicken alfredo?” Now Sasha finally walked over to help Maiela look for dinner.

“There’s a jar of alfredo right there, and we have chicken in the fridge. We’ll have to run to the store on the corner to pick up noodles, though. If you walk down and go get it, I’ll start the chicken.” Without saying anything, Sasha hugged her mother before walking out the door and setting off to the store. Maiela sighed. Sasha had been more mouthy and had more attitude ever since the Saginaw above them were set on fire.

I can’t say anything, though, because I was the same way when I was young. Maiela shook her head and pulled the chicken out of the fridge. After grabbing the scissors, Maiela sliced the chicken package open. Just as she was about to put the pan on the stove, Maiela hard the front door open. Sasha couldn’t already be back, could she?

“I’m home! Sorry, I know I’m late! Oh, hey, Maiela. Where’s Say?” Akkar walked into the kitchen, his briefcase still in his hand, and looked around.

“Sasha ran down to the store on the corner to pick up some noodles for dinner. How was work?” Maiela pulled out a pan and set it down on the stove. The knob on the stove made a satisfying click as Maiela turned the burner on.

“Awful. I’ve been swamped with things to do for the new buildings that are going up in Lodenville. I still have to finalize the blueprints and make sure that every single little measurement is correct. And there are about a million other things that I

have to do. It’s just tiring.” Akkar sighed and Maiela sat down next to him after putting the chicken on the pan.

“I know where you’re coming from. It’s just as stressful at the council meetings and all of that stuff. I mean, we still have to figure out a plan to make things better with the protests and see what we can do to prevent the spread of the virus even more. Then there’s all of the paperwork for the permits for the buildings that you’re working on, and it’s just awful.” For the second time that day, tears rolled down Maiela’s face. Akkar reached over and wrapped her in a hug.

“I can’t handle it anymore, Akkar! I just can’t.” Maiela’s body shook with each sob. She only stopped when she heard a gasp that came from the doorway. Both Akkar and Maiela turned their heads, and Sasha stood there with both of her hands over her mouth.


---


“Sasha, can I come in?” Akkar knocked lightly on his daughter’s bedroom door.

“Give me a second.” He could hear Sasha move around her bedroom, and after a moment she opened the door.

“Come on in.” Sasha motioned for her father to walk in, and he did. “What do you need?” Walking over to Sasha’s desk and sitting down on the swivel chair, Akkar sighed. Sasha ambled to her bed and sat down on the end.

“How much did you hear earlier?” The tension in the room weighed both father and daughter down.

“Let’s just say that I know both you and Mother are having a really bad time at work and Mother might quit her job.” Sasha crossed her arms and stared into Akkar’s eyes.

“The first part is correct, yes. But your mother never said anything about quitting her job. Being the head of the city council is a lot of pressure for her, but she loves helping out the community and all of our small neighborhoods. And it’s good-paying. She would never leave.” Knowing that Sasha wouldn’t be able to take anything more tonight, Akkar got up out of his chair and walked out of the room.

Sasha shook her head and closed her eyes to prevent more tears to fall. After quickly changing into her pajamas, Sasha slid under her sheets in bed and fell asleep.


---


Maiela sat up in her bed and yawned while stretching her arms. She rubbed her eyes and slid off the edge of the bed. Akkar was already at work, which meant that he had also already taken Sasha to school. And that meant that Maiela was able to blast her music as loud as she wanted to.

As she blowdried her hair after showering and changing into her work clothes, Maiela sang along with her favorite mortal country singer.

And if the house just keeps on winning, I got a wild card up my sleeve! And if love keeps givin’ me lemons, just mix ‘em in my drink!” The song was Bluebird, by Miranda Lambert. It was a good song to help the anger and frustration-and sadness-from the night before. In Maiela’s eyes, she was a failure as a mother. She had let her daughter here about her problems when Maiela was supposed to listen to Sasha’s problems and fix them. Not the other way around. 

Without realizing it, a half-hour had passed as Maiela thought about this. She only had fifteen minutes left until she had to get to work!

No breakfast today. Sighing, Maiela ran around the house getting everything she had to get done done.


---


The phone made a loud bang! as Maiela slammed it back on the receiver. She had just gotten off of the phone, with her rival on the other end. His name was Ninder. Maiela had worked with him long ago when she was still just a volunteer at the city council. Ninder was a volunteer at the time as well, and they worked well together. Until that one day.

Maiela was telling Ninder about her application to become a real member of the council. She was elated, and Ninder smiled along with her. But inside, he felt a twang of jealousy. And that little feeling of jealousy started to overwhelm him. Ninder got angry that Maiela would most likely get the job, while he was still stuck as a stupid volunteer. He came with Maiela when she went to the front office to turn her application in. The secretary wasn’t there, so Maiela dropped it on the desk. The second Maiela turned her back, Ninder swiped the paper off of the desk and into the trash.

When the head of the council announced that Ninder had taken that position, Maiela was hurt. Ninder knew how much getting that position meant to her, and he had gone and beat her to it. They’d hated each other ever since.

Now Ninder was coming to the council later that day to propose an idea he had on how to control all of Saginaw’s problems. Maiela knew he couldn’t do it, and she knew that everyone else on the council would agree. He’d be gone five minutes after he got there.


---


“Come in.” Maiela’s office door slowly opened, and Ninder came in with a suitcase that seemed to be over-packed.

“Good afternoon, Mrs. Woodwing.” He nodded at Maiela and she nodded back.

“Good afternoon, Mr. Goldmoon.” Maiela watched as Ninder moved to the center of the room and started to set up a presentation board and a projector. After only a few moments, Ninder was standing in his midnight blue suit next to the projector screen with a remote in his hand.

“Excuse me for a moment, please. I have a few other members of the council that I would like to see this.” She got up out of her chair and walked out of the room while he stared. Ninder wiped his sweaty hands off on his pants while his mind raced. Was it a good idea to do this? It was Maiela, after all. That’s what Ninder said to himself over and over until Maiela came back in with a few people he didn’t recognize.

“Mr. Goldmoon, this is Mr. Phaendar Dustwood and Ms. Sheaira Farlight. And this is Mr. Iriel Wildgleam. Everyone take a seat. You may begin.” Maiela’s eyes drilled into Ninder’s, and he took a shaky breath before beginning.

“Hello and good afternoon. I am Ninder Goldmoon, and I hope that my plan to help both the virus and protest situations will work.” Ninder pressed a button on the remote. A photo of the ‘curve’ in the COVID-19 cases appeared. “As you can see, this is the data of the virus cases. And this-” He pressed another button. “-is how much they have gone up since the protests started. They have gone up. For this reason, I believe that we need to work on the protest problem first before closing things down or opening them back up.” Ninder took a deep breath and continued. His audience was silent throughout the entire proposal, but he noticed all four of them taking notes.

“Thank you.” He shut the projector off and looked intently at the council. 

“That was a good presentation, and we will definitely consider your plans. Have a good day.” Maiela nodded and Ninder packed up his things and left. Once he was gone, Maiela looked around at her co-workers.

“All in favor of recruiting him?” No one raised their hand.

“All in favor of rejecting him?” No one raised their hand.

August 27, 2020 15:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

127 comments

B. W.
15:52 Sep 24, 2020

Hey, i don't know when you will see all this but here: Zilla talked to someone named Jenn who works on reedsy and she might be able to stop all this down-voting stuff. I'm also not sure if you found this out before you left for a bit but Mia changed her bio and explained how she was 'lying for attention' but i don't really buy it tbh. There are other thing's she said in her Bio but you could check it out yourself if you want whenever you get back. I'm still really sorry for the things she did to you and i hope you'll be back soon ^^ we'll be...

Reply

18:12 Sep 27, 2020

Hello, B.! I am back now, and hopefully for good. That is good, and I would recommend checking out my bio. I hope we can still talk! :)

Reply

B. W.
18:23 Sep 27, 2020

heya ^^ well yeah we can still talk, i missed ya a lot during the time you were gone! and uh, ya checked her Bio?

Reply

18:25 Sep 27, 2020

Good, I'm glad. I know! I missed all of you guys, too! Yes, I have, and I'm not sure if I completely believe it, but the downvoting has stopped for me, so I'm just going to go with the fact that it is true for now.

Reply

B. W.
18:27 Sep 27, 2020

That's what i was gonna say tbh :/ like the down-voting HAS stopped but it's half and half with me because she could still possibly be lying about the stuff. but yeah the down-voting has stopped because i don't think she's actually been on for a couple of days or the actual down-voter has just stopped for a while

Reply

18:31 Sep 27, 2020

Yeah, it's still pretty crazy but since it's stopped, I think that we all can just stop talking about it, too. Well, other than my bio because I need to leave it there for a couple of days. Then I'm going to take it down and make it normal again. But that's not the point. The point is that since it has stopped (at least for a while), we can all stop talking about it and move on with our Reedsy lives.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:13 Sep 02, 2020

Hey, girl! Just wanted to say congrats for making it into the top ten! You deserve it ;)

Reply

20:25 Sep 02, 2020

Aw, thank you so much, Aerin! It means so much to me coming from you. And congrats on being in second place! That is crazy!

Reply

20:27 Sep 02, 2020

Hehe, thanks!

Reply

20:34 Sep 02, 2020

My pleasure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
00:15 Jan 22, 2021

Just looked back at this... Those five minutes of glory were amazing... lol

Reply

01:46 Jan 22, 2021

Oh haha, well, I’m sure you’ll get there soon 🥺

Reply

01:49 Jan 22, 2021

I wish! But there are a lot more talented authors who deserve the spots more than me. :) Thanks for the support, though! 😀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
06:21 Aug 31, 2020

Brilliant. Remarkable. Would you mind checking my new story

Reply

20:05 Aug 31, 2020

Thank you so much! Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
12:52 Sep 18, 2020

i think i went on this one as well but i'm not sure so i'll just give it a 10/10 :) someone just started to down vote me a lot and its annoying and making me mad

Reply

22:31 Sep 18, 2020

Thanks so much! I know! Megan Sutherland and lots of others (including myself) are experiencing this! It is completely awful and the person who is doing this really should stop because it is hurting so many people.

Reply

B. W.
00:24 Sep 19, 2020

i don't even know why they're doing it

Reply

11:14 Sep 19, 2020

Me either.

Reply

B. W.
13:22 Sep 19, 2020

Maybe we could go on another upvote spree with each other?

Reply

22:24 Sep 19, 2020

Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:12 Aug 30, 2020

Hi Brooke, Loved the story! It was beautiful and detailed. Mind checking my new story?

Reply

20:10 Aug 31, 2020

Thank you! Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:33 Sep 06, 2020

Awesome job! This story was so beautifuly written! The cliffhanger was really good, great job!

Reply

16:43 Sep 07, 2020

Thanks a ton, Blair!

Reply

23:15 Sep 07, 2020

Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lulu Lemon
21:03 Sep 02, 2020

Hi!! Awesome story!! I really liked it! The story flowed great and you have such a great way of making the words flow awesomely (is that a word? it doesn't look right but my Grammarly extension isn't fixing it...)

Reply

21:06 Sep 02, 2020

Thank you so much, Lulu! If Grammarly doesn't fix it, it is totally a word.

Reply

Lulu Lemon
21:12 Sep 02, 2020

No problem! Yeah haha it must be.

Reply

21:13 Sep 02, 2020

XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I read this a while ago but hadn't commented on it yet :) I liked this story a lot, and what was great is that it still made sense even though it had been a long time since I had read the part 1. By the way, congrats on being on the top 10! -Peachy P.S. Totally did not go on a liking/upvoting streak for you... toTalLY ;)

Reply

19:21 Sep 01, 2020

Thank you so much! Wait... I'm on top 10??? What??? THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

aww no problem

Reply

20:05 Sep 01, 2020

How do I upvote likes and comments? There's no real reason why I'm asking...Just wondering...

Reply

Um, for comments, it's the arrow pointing up next to a person's name on the comment that upvotes it. I don't think you can upvote likes, though.

Reply

20:19 Sep 01, 2020

Okay, thanks!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
04:28 Sep 01, 2020

Super creative, I was so hooked at the start!

Reply

19:28 Sep 01, 2020

Thank you so much, Sarah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
22:36 Aug 31, 2020

I kept holding my breath during the first part. I was afraid that her daughter or husband would die. That’s the world we are living in now. One of you best qualities is character development. I could see all of them. From their names to their action to the Idiosyncrasies it all paints a picture. Just like your last story you leave me wanting more. I don’t know if you are or have thought of writing a novel but you have one in you for sure. Again great job. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I know it’s asking a lot because you just read my last sto...

Reply

19:29 Sep 01, 2020

Thank you so very much, Thom! It means a lot to me! In fact, I am working on an idea for a novel right now! Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Doubra Akika
21:30 Aug 31, 2020

Hey Brooke! Just wanted to say I loved this! You have a really great way with words and I always appreciate your dialogues. The cliffhanger was great and I loved Maiela. Her name is great as well haven’t heard it before. Few suggestions And there are about a million other things that I have to do. It’s just tiring.” Akkar sighed Just pointing it out because it was separated. And it’s good-paying. I think this may be better as it pays really well. But it may just be my opinion. She had let her daughter here about her problems wh...

Reply

21:34 Aug 31, 2020

Thank you so much, Doubra! If it is possible for me to still edit this story, I will go in and fix those mistakes. Thank you so much again and of course! 😊 Keep writing and stay healthy, Your Reedsy friend and fan - Brooke

Reply

Doubra Akika
21:49 Aug 31, 2020

Yeah! I think it’s possible to edit because of the new feature with the genres and stuff. And thanks I will!

Reply

19:31 Sep 01, 2020

I tried. You can edit the genre, but not the writing itself. 😕

Reply

Doubra Akika
20:26 Sep 01, 2020

I honestly had no idea. Whenever you write something, be sure to let me know though, so I can come with my (not late😂) grammar advice.

Reply

20:49 Sep 01, 2020

XD Okay, deal!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amogh Kasat
02:05 Aug 31, 2020

IT'S A WONDERFUL STORY!

Reply

20:06 Aug 31, 2020

THANK YOU!

Reply

Amogh Kasat
04:53 Sep 01, 2020

MY PLEASURE

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
17:29 Aug 30, 2020

Well done, Brooke. I like how you've given such a very complete picture of Maiela (great name choices btw) as a hardworking city council chair who is feeling overwhelmed by the pressures of the job, the pressures of being a mom and a wife. I particularly liked the scene where she is listening to Bluebird - I think letting it all out with a song is something we can all identify with. The introduction of Ninder was interesting and a cliffhanger ending - very intriguing. Great job!

Reply

20:09 Aug 31, 2020

Thank you so very much, Kristin!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Blaauw
17:02 Aug 29, 2020

Hello Brooke (and Champ). This is a very different story to others of yours I've read. Maybe it's just me but you seem to be getting better. A lot better! You've chosen to address some bigger, heavier issues here and done so with a deft touch, in a way that makes the story. And look at that ambiguous ending! Such a clever thing to do. I haven't read pt 1 so not sure how much I missed, but as a standalone, it holds its own very well. The only suggestion is to, next time, streamline a bit. Get the really important stuff in early, to keep t...

Reply

20:13 Aug 31, 2020

Thank you so much! And that means a lot to me, but some people have over 100! Champ says hi, too! 😉

Reply

Jonathan Blaauw
15:56 Sep 01, 2020

And some have less than 2. Let's look at the glass as being half full here! You never tell me to stay healthy any more... How else am I going to remember?

Reply

19:26 Sep 01, 2020

Okay, okay! It is a pretty big accomplishment for me. 😊 Keep writing and stay healthy, Your Reedsy Friend & Fan - Brooke

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
C.j 🤍
16:10 Aug 28, 2020

I really liked the story I posted one to please read

Reply

20:14 Aug 31, 2020

Thanks! Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
06:52 Aug 28, 2020

Wow, this was such a well-written story, and I was extremely intrigued throughout. I immediately knew I was going to enjoy this story. And you didn't disappoint, and your opening line was so good. The story was really interesting, captured my attention the whole time. Amazing work, Brooke!

Reply

13:25 Aug 28, 2020

Thank you so much, Yolanda!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
03:18 Aug 28, 2020

Wow, this was amazing! I loved the characters! Great job!

Reply

00:18 Jan 22, 2021

Thank you so much! (I was just going through the comments on here and realized I didn't respond lol)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:18 Aug 27, 2020

This is a great story, i think this may be the first one of yours i've read. i'll probably go and check out some of your other ones as well. You have 49 stories that are all probably really great, you should continue to write more stories here. i'm going to give you and this story a 10/10 ^^ i'm not sure if you have or not so sorry if you have but i was wondering if you could go and check out "Goddess child" i'd like to see what you have to say.

Reply

18:27 Aug 27, 2020

Thank you so very much, B.! Of course!

Reply

B. W.
18:43 Aug 27, 2020

no prob and thanks :)

Reply

18:44 Aug 27, 2020

My pleasure! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
16:58 Aug 27, 2020

Great story, Brooke! As soon as I saw the 48 stories change to 49, I pounced. I missed reading your stuff! 😂😂 Interesting character names and I liked them! I have some new stuff coming in soon, would you mind checking it out? Thanks! Your #1 Reedsy Friend and Fan, Megan

Reply

18:15 Aug 27, 2020

XD I know! It took me forever to come out with this! Sorry! Thank you so much! Of course!

Reply

Megan Sutherland
18:20 Aug 27, 2020

It's alright! I was looking at my following list to see if anyone posted any new stories, and like I said, I POUNCED. Like a cougar. That's very hungry. And looking for a good story. 😂😂

Reply

18:25 Aug 27, 2020

XD That's funny! And it also means a lot to me. The fact that you POUNCED to read a new story of mine is beyond my imagination. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Reply

Megan Sutherland
19:04 Aug 27, 2020

Of course! 🐱 rawr lol

Reply

20:32 Aug 27, 2020

XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Evelyn ⭐️
15:32 Aug 27, 2020

The first sentence I give a 10/10. It was descriptive and I wanted to know what was going to happen next! That's how all stories should start. Second I absolutely love the name Maiela. it has a nice ring to it. This story made me happy, sad, and stressed. Those are good things though. If you can make your readers feel emotions, you know you have written a great story. You had good detail in the beginning but maybe you could add some more towards the end? That's the only piece of advice I could come up with. This story was SO GOOD!!!!!!...

Reply

15:34 Aug 27, 2020

Awwwww, thank you so much, Evelyn! Your comments are the sweetest and mean so much to me. You have been supportive since the very, very, VERY beginning. (; I agree that I could have done more towards the end, but I wanted to get it out so I made it fast-paced. Thanks a ton again!

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
15:36 Aug 27, 2020

Yep, that's okay! I'm actually glad though, because your stories are always favorites! Can't wait to see what you do for the next prompts!!!

Reply

15:40 Aug 27, 2020

Oh, my goodness! You're making me blush XD Your stories are always my favorites, too! I'm waiting for your next one as well!

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
15:41 Aug 27, 2020

Ha, well I guess we both need to wait for the next prompts then.... 🤣🤣🤣

Reply

18:16 Aug 27, 2020

No kidding! XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
13:56 Aug 28, 2020

I haven't given feedback on of your stories for a while now so here I am . I do think that you should use fists instead of hands in your opening line. Other than that, I wholeheartedly agree with everything Evelyn has said. Good job.

Reply

19:22 Sep 01, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.