29 comments

Funny

What, Me Worry?


We’ve all experienced it, that terrifying, heart-stopping, pit in the stomach moment when you realize all is not well in the universe- your car isn’t where you thought you parked it, a valuable item rattles around in the sink for agonizing moments before it disappears down the drain, an empty pocket where your wallet should be. Henry’s traumatic moment hit him like an earthquake. He was stunned, dazed, shaken, and he would soon undertake the long, painful journey through the Five Stages of Grief.

“Honey, I’m home!”

After twenty-three years of marriage, one should not expect confetti, cheers, or a marching band.

“Oh, there you are, Susan.”

Perfunctory half-hug and a peck on the cheek.

“The garbage men came for that special pickup. I can finally park my car in the garage.”

“Great…wait, what?”

“I told you I was having the garage cleaned out. They finally showed up today.”

“You did? I don’t remember…”

The first rumblings of the earthquake…

Henry’s heart rate picked up, blood pressure climbed, breathing came to a halt. Henry’s eyes opened wide as his thoughts flew out to the boxes on the shelves at the back of the garage. He walked slowly, afraid of what he might discover. The longer he didn’t know, the longer he could retain a sense of normalcy in his life. It wasn’t possible, too horrible to imagine. Nothing that bad could happen. They would only take the junk and clutter and not the boxes. Susan would have supervised the cleanup. Or would she? She always thought the whole thing was stupid. Oh, my God, maybe she paid them extra to haul the boxes away!

Henry opened the door cautiously. His eyes started at his feet and fearfully moved across the garage floor to the far corner, and then slowly up the wall to the …empty shelves!

No, no, no, please God no. He closed his eyes, hoping he hadn’t seen what he just saw. His eyes slowly opened, but the picture remained the same. Henry inched his way to the shelves, touched them, and ran his fingers across the bare wood. The shelves were as empty as his heart. He surveyed the entire garage. No boxes. He ran outside and circled the garage. No boxes. Henry’s thirty-five-year collection of Mad Magazines- gone.

Henry staggered back to the house, hanging on to the sliver of hope that Susan had the boxes moved to the basement.

“Susan…my…my…magazine collection…do you know…did the garbage guys…the boxes…in the corner…”

“I don’t know. They probably took them with the rest of the junk.”

Stunned, paralyzed by the enormity of the moment. Thirty-five years. Henry got his first Mad Magazine when he was ten. He started collecting them because he was too lazy to throw them away, so they just accumulated under his bed. He loved “Spy vs. Spy”, everything Don Martin did, the fold-in pic on the back cover, and of course the persistent message of the carefree lifestyle advocated by the great philosopher, Alfred E. Neuman.

Mad Magazine was with Henry every step of the way. Henry flashed that gapped tooth smile as he went begging for treats three Halloweens in a row. It took his mother an hour to get the hair and freckles just right.

Sixth Grade- Sister Agnes had her class prepare a “Me Box”. Students were to put items reflecting the most important things in their life in the box. When the box was opened at Parents’ Night, Henry’s dad was chagrined to see the Pee Wee Herman issue of Mad Magazine on top. As the good Sister gave his parents a skeptical look, Henry’s dad could only offer an enthusiastic, “Look! He’s reading!"

The day after the latest issue arrived in his mailbox, Henry had his copy tucked inside his textbook during his morning high school classes, and his subscription followed him to college. If any of his friends borrowed his copy, they had to sign for it.

After he had “grown up” and became gainfully employed, Mad Magazine still provided Henry with much needed moments of R+R. He would regularly re-read old issues, thoroughly enjoying them the second time around.

Susan never understood the sophomoric, stupid humor presented by the “usual gang of idiots” at Mad. She would shake her head as Henry sat in his E-Z chair chuckling to himself as he flipped through the latest issue. And then doomsday. The local newspaper announced that Mad Magazine would be closing shop, the last issue to be published in October of 2019. It was like reading the Death Notice of a dear old friend.

But Henry had his memories…and his treasured collection of thirty-five years of issues. And now they were gone. He would later say it was like getting the wind kicked out of him (once in a high school football game), a hard slap in the face (once in a drunken stupor at a college bar after suggesting an amorous adventure to a girl he didn’t know) or getting hit with a taser (an event yet to be experienced, but he knew it would hurt). He shuffled his way back to the garage and stared at the place where his collection once resided.


Denial

Maybe the magazines weren’t lost forever. Maybe the garbage guys realized their value and stashed them in the basement despite his wife’s indifference, or perhaps even her encouragement. Henry checked. No magazines.

Someone at the garbage company probably peeked inside the boxes and appreciated their priceless contents. They would have set the boxes aside and placed them in a safe place. A quick trip to U Call-We Haul proved otherwise.

Henry went into full Columbo mode. He would trace the route of his beloved monthlies, find them, rescue them from the ignominy of a garbage dump, and return them to their rightful status. He imagined himself sitting in his E-Z chair, the soft tones of Andy Williams floating through the living room, enjoying a Don Martin four-panel rib-buster. It will be ok. God wouldn’t allow such a thing to happen.

Four days at the garbage dump proved otherwise. He toiled under the hot sun in search of his lost treasure. He did find and claim ownership of a number of useful items- a bowling ball that was his exact fit, a perfectly good though outdated travel alarm clock, and a Green Bay Packer pencil holder…but the motherlode escaped him. His precious magazines were gone…forever.

Anger

“How could you possibly let this happen?!”

“It’s not my job to keep track of your stupid magazines.”

“I had those magazines since I was ten!”

“That’s the point, Henry. That crap is for ten-year-olds.”

“Crap?! You take that back, Susan. Don’t you dare talk about my collection that way.”

“Whatever.”

“Whatever?! Thirty-five years of the greatest publication known to man!”

“Look. I just didn’t like that pile of boxes cluttering up the garage.”

“I’m not fond of your mother coming here for a week every summer, and I don’t call the garbage guys to come take her away.”

“Henry! Don’t talk about my mother that way!”

“They’d probably have to bring their double-wide trailer to haul her fat ass out of here.”

“Henry!!”

And so it went. Henry stewed for days, weeks, months. The hostility ebbed and flowed with Henry’s ability to move his mind to other places. He tried all means of distraction. He endeavored to read a book, but it only brought back memories of turning the pages of a Mad Magazine. He only made it to page three of War and Peace. He bought a Build-A-Birdhouse kit, but he gave up halfway through reading the directions. In a last-ditch effort, he lugged his “new” bowling ball to the Windup Lanes but turned in his bowling shoes after just six frames, having posted a forgettable score of twenty-seven. 

In the end, anger proved to be Henry’s best distraction. The more he focused on his ill will (closer to rancor, wrath, and rage) toward Susan, the less likely he’d be to mourn his loss. It was certainly the greatest test of their marriage, far eclipsing other notable events such as Henry forgetting their first anniversary, or his spending a night on the sofa at the Moose Lodge after a late-night poker game fueled by vast quantities of alcohol.


Bargaining

Henry didn’t think he could withstand the rigors of an hour-long Mass, so he began making regular visits to St. John’s 24 Hour Chapel.

“Dear God, you’ve probably heard about my magazines. I’d like them back. I know you’re all-powerful. Yes, I’m a real believer, yeah, a big fan, so I know you could do it. I need, you know, a miracle, like what you did with wine and the fish, and those loaves. You brought Lazarus back, so getting my magazines back should be a slam dunk for someone like you. Maybe have the garbage guys could find them in the back of their truck, or in a warehouse someplace. Thanks. I’ll be waiting.”

Three such visits- nothing.

“Dear God, it’s me again, Henry, the guy with the magazines, actually the guy without the magazines. Uh, they’re not back yet. Yep, I haven’t heard a word about them. So, I was thinking. I’ve heard how you sometimes work your will through people, so here’s my idea. I’ll go back to the junk pile and look for them myself. You see where I’m going with this? I’ll start sorting through the garbage again, and you kind of steer me in the right direction, even if it’s just telling me if I’m getting hotter or colder.”

Henry spent the entire weekend at the dump. It rained all day Sunday. Susan made him hose himself down in the back yard before she’d let him in the house. Great effort, no guidance, and no magazines.

“Dear God, it’s me again. I think I’ve realized my mistake- all asking and no giving, so here’s my offer. I give you, I mean the church, a dollar for every magazine I get back. That could be a pretty hefty sum, God. And… I’ll hit mass once a month.”

Nothing

“OK, mass twice a month and two dollars per copy.”

Nothing.

“Alright, mass every Sunday and one weekday a month, and $2.50 an issue. Now that has to be my final offer.”

No magazines, but Henry could now spread the Anger around- half for Susan, half for God.


Depression

Diminished appetite, trouble sleeping, irritable at work. Henry was slowly sinking into the abyss. In the mode of a highway crash site, Henry placed balloons and ribbons on those empty shelves in the corner of the garage. On especially troubling nights, Henry would set a lawn chair in the garage and reminisce. He was headed for a dark place.

“So, you say you’ve suffered a great loss? What kind of loss?”

“Magazines, Doctor.”

“No loss of a loved one, no financial crisis?”

“No, Doctor, just the magazines.”

“What kind of magazines?”

“Mad magazines.”

“Isn’t that a child’s comic book?”

“Oh, no, sir. Very creative, sophisticated humor. It’s for all ages.”

“Hmm. So, you are battling depression over the loss of some comic books?”

“Yes, Doctor, now we’re making some good progress.”

“Uh, why don’t you just go out and buy some magazines to replace the ones you lost?”

“It was thirty-five years’ worth of the magazines. Every issue.”

“You collected Mad Magazine for thirty-five years?”

“Yes.”

“Boy, you are nuts.”

Like all good members of the medical community, Henry’s shrink had developed a severe case of writer’s cramp prescribing meds as the remedy for all of life’s problems. Henry would now face his crisis heavily armed with sleep aids, uppers, downers, and a few specialty items that would provide sideways emotional swings.


Acceptance

Drained. The initial shock, the fruitless searches, the energy lost on anger, the sapping of life from depression, the effects of a rollercoaster diet of meds, Henry was a shell of a man. He was no longer sad or angry. He just was.

Susan showed pity. She purchased a few old issues of the magazine and brought them to him as he sat in his rocking chair covered with a warm blanket. One look at the cover, the smiling Alfred E. Newman with his finger up his nose, and Henry wept openly.

Friends came over. They brought him some of his favorite snacks. A hot fudge sundae from Dairy Queen elicited a smile. Soon Henry was talking with them, exchanging stories about old times, and analyzing the play of their favorite sports teams. A few jokes seemed to lift his spirits.

And then Henry remembered. He understood. It wasn’t the magazine, a single issue of Mad Magazine or thirty-five years of it. It was the message, the idea, the philosophy of his hero, Alfred E. Newman- “What, me worry?” Henry had betrayed all of it. He had worried to the max over his lost collection. He suddenly realized he didn’t need the magazines. He needed the message. He didn’t have to revisit the stories or the artwork; he only had to remember the philosophy of his fictional, yet impactful, mentor. His collection was lost, and the publication had ended, but he would pick up the flag and carry on. He would no longer be consumed with his loss, for he was Alfred E. Newman, a man with no worries.

All was well again in Henry’s universe.






February 12, 2023 20:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

29 comments

Timothy Rennels
00:27 Mar 19, 2023

I really like this one Murray. As an avid baseball card collector it really struck a chord with me!

Reply

Murray Burns
18:31 Mar 19, 2023

I have but one piece of baseball memorabilia- a baseball signed by the entire 1957 Milwaukee Braves World Series Championship team...Henry Aaron, Warren Spahn...every player. Unfortunately, it is not in mint condition as my brothers played baseball with it. It was a different time. I guess that's what kids did with baseballs back then. The huge box of Mad Magazines in my garage? I tell people they belong to my son. Thanks for reading the story and for your comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin V
01:38 Feb 25, 2023

You know what, Murray? I enjoyed this. I used to read MAD when I was a kid and still remember a thing or two from it. I remember the parody of 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' as 'One Cuckoo Flew Over the Rest.' I, too, loved Spy vs Spy and the little cartoons written in the white space of the pages. Thank you for the fun read and walk down memory lane.

Reply

Murray Burns
02:53 Feb 25, 2023

Well...I also read Mad Magazine as a kid....and, (don't be judgmental) I read my last issue in October of 2019, which coincidentally was the last month Mad was published. And...if I'm going to come completely clean, I do have a few...well, a lot...ok, a sizable of collection of Mad Magazines. Your comment prompted me to check to see if I had "One Cuckoo Flew Over the Rest". No such luck, but the search allowed me to revisit many of my favorites, especially the Don Martin stuff. For that, I thank you!

Reply

Kevin V
03:18 Feb 25, 2023

No judgement here. I kind of figured you still had some sort of collection. I saw an issue from around 2018 I think? But it didn't have the same charm for me as they did in the 70's and 80's. I didn't realize they stopped publishing until your story. Kind of sad really.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
22:50 Feb 22, 2023

What a gem of a story! What a lift - first time all day I laughed out loud - many times! (Sorry, Henry) Inspired writing style and all too relatable. You realize this writing of yours could prompt any of us to write to you with, Oh you poor, soul, I had this Barbie collection, remember Wacky Packages? I had them all! Bottle tops, gum wrappers, trolls - I had a million of 'em, Beanie Babies - stop me now! This is so much more than a "short" story - it's a favored memory or an open wound still festering. I had more fun in a half-hour e...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Helen A Smith
16:57 Feb 20, 2023

It’s clever the way you demonstrate the effect losing the comics has on the MC’s mental health and even on his marriage. Obviously they represented something that just couldn’t be replaced. You depict the stages of grief really well, disbelief being the first stage and acceptance and finally moving on. Enjoyed reading.

Reply

Murray Burns
00:28 Feb 21, 2023

I appreciate your reading the story and your comments. I think humor can often be found in taking something to an unreasonable, ridiculous extreme. Confession- I have a large box of Mad Magazines in my garage (not 35 years worth). I tell people they belong to my son. Thanks.

Reply

Helen A Smith
07:54 Feb 21, 2023

😀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
23:14 Feb 19, 2023

Excellent, Murray! I was a big fan of Mad magazine as a youngster, so it was nice from a memory lane perspective, but I also loved the stages-of-grief format, and the message at the end. This was such a fun story, and who among us has not accidentally been one of the roles in the story? (I once got rid of a ratty old chair, still haven't heard the end of that...) Loved it!

Reply

Murray Burns
01:08 Feb 20, 2023

Well...they say confession is good for the soul...and you seem like a person who can be trusted...I was a regular reader of Mad Magazine up through an embarrassingly late stage of the game...actually October of 2019 which coincidentally was the date of its last publication. And, ok, the large box of Mad Magazines in my garage isn't my son's. (I'm starting to feel better already.) I rationalized the whole thing by comparing my "habit" to my older, and wiser, older brother whose favorite form of entertainment is Tom and Jerry cartoons.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
01:11 Feb 20, 2023

Who’s going to laugh? Certainly not the girl who still plays video games… :) Never surrender, Murray! They can’t take us all alive!

Reply

Murray Burns
17:02 Feb 20, 2023

I knew you could be trusted! Me? Not so much. I'm telling everyone you play video games.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:18 Feb 20, 2023

lol :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:28 Feb 18, 2023

Oh boy, did this bring back memories— only, instead of MAD Magazines, it was 20+ years of local newspapers, and IEEE engineering magazines. I only wish I'd have had the nerve that Susan showed when she had those guys haul it all away. Lol... for us, it took a major crisis of being laid off and realizing that he'd have to pay to move all of that crap that finally aided us in getting rid of all of that mouse fodder, and yes, he definitely went into the various stages of grief over it. It was kind of pathetic to watch actually, but it takes ...

Reply

Murray Burns
14:04 Feb 19, 2023

Stuff (aka mouse fodder, which is a nice description))- we spend years collecting stuff and then at the end we wonder why we have all this stuff. My wife was a save-aholic. I'm an old guy and have a garage a car can't fit in because of all the stuff. I have boxes of stuff my kids "drew" when they were in kindergarten, their first baby shoes, ribbons they won for just showing up, and more pre-digital age kid photos than I could possibly sort through before I check out of this world. Somehow, guilt is the anchor that keeps all the stuff there....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
13:24 Feb 17, 2023

This is great. Structuring it around the stages of grief works really well. You develop tension at the beginning that builds to the realization of his loss and then the stages of grief each have their own tone/feel that works really well. I really like his bargaining with god - "Henry, the guy with the magazines, actually the guy without the magazines." His desperation is leavened a little with the humor which is the coping mechanism many of us use. Then you bring in the big guns in the depression stage where the commentary: "Like all good m...

Reply

Murray Burns
16:34 Feb 17, 2023

Ok, I'll admit it. Tucked away in the far corner of my garage is a large box full of...yes...oh, I'm so ashamed...Mad Magazines! Not 35 years' worth, but a number that would put it in the realm of the embarrassing. I don't know that I would deep dive into depression if I lost them, but it would be "troubling". I felt a little better about myself when I learned a few years ago that a retired English Professor friend of mine was also a big Mad Magazine fan, and that my older (and wiser) brother of mine was hooked on Tom and Jerry cartoons. Ser...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nona Yobis
22:16 Feb 14, 2023

Delightful take on the 5 stages of grief! Nice work!

Reply

Murray Burns
23:11 Feb 14, 2023

Thank you for reading the story and for your comment. And...just to check to see if I'm losing it...I checked your bio and I swear (bear with me now) it said something about about chickens...I had raised chickens and was going to send you a reply about chickens...but when I went back to your bio...No chickens! And I can't think of where else I saw that. So...either you changed your bio or I am losing it. Don't feel guilty if you need to tell me..."sorry, you are losing it." Thanks again.

Reply

Nona Yobis
23:21 Feb 14, 2023

You are not losing it lol! I just changed my bio a few minutes ago to make it sound more officially- maybe I should keep the blurb about chickens!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nona Yobis
23:24 Feb 14, 2023

We keep a small flock of about 20 birds, all cochin mixes. I like floofy, feather-footed miniature dinosaurs in my bunch. I updated it. I like the update better, anyways! Now you can be certain that you aren't crazy! (Me, on the other hand...)

Reply

Murray Burns
23:57 Feb 14, 2023

The chickens in your bio...that was my favorite part! Just kidding...We always had a few bantams...the kids loved it when the eggs hatched. They wandered freely during the day.( The chickens, not the kids). It always amazed me that every evening around sundown the chickens automatically would walk into their pen....and I'd lock them up for the night. I was also intrigued by the fact the few hens, a rooster, two dogs and a stupid cat would hang out together. I'd frequently see them all sitting together in a sunny spot within feet of each oth...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim Firth
17:29 Feb 14, 2023

Wow, this is great! I loved Henry's conversation with God. So funny. Using the six stages of grief to structure Henry's reaction to losing the magazines is genius. Plus, when we he realises that he has to embody the spirit of the magazine to rise above his grief makes for a brilliant ending :)

Reply

Murray Burns
21:03 Feb 14, 2023

Thank you! I really appreciate your kind comments. I learned a lesson from Jim Valvano...former college basketball coach...He was dying of cancer when he accepted the ESPY award for courage sometime in the 90's. He said their are several things you must do every day...the first thing he mentioned was laugh...laugh about something everyday. I try to do my part. I'm lucky because I'm able to write for my own amusement and laugh. Thanks.

Reply

Jim Firth
12:15 Feb 15, 2023

'Laugh about something everyday' - I couldn't agree more. I would even go so far as to prescribe it as an hourly thing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
22:19 Feb 12, 2023

Murray, Mad Magazine was something my brother and I both loved reading. Our house was full of those mags. I like the story because it brought back so many memories of enjoying the reading; I liked spy vs spy too. I thought this "U Call-We Haul" was great. Thank you for the excellent read. LF6.

Reply

Murray Burns
18:18 Feb 13, 2023

You might find this interesting. The inspiration for the story was a retired English Professor. He was a big Mad Magazine fan and was ticked off when the publication ended. He might be the most well read and smartest guy I know. (He got an 800 on his SAT math score- a perfect score.) So, you and your brother are in good company!

Reply

Lily Finch
20:18 Feb 13, 2023

Speaking from A Canadian perspective, we do not write SAT anything over here. So I cannot answer that 800 SAT score in math except to say, WOW! He saw the humour in Mad Magazine. It just goes to show humour knows no boundaries, just odd personalities. LOL. I'm glad we're on the same side of that one. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.