63 comments

American Contemporary Horror

This story contains sensitive content

Maybe the lights won't come back on. 

Maybe you can sit in silence in the back of the community center next to your ex-wife for a little while. She’s been remarried for years. You try to remember where what’s-his-name works. 

You hold her hand. She squeezes your hand back.

🜋 🜋 🜋

You know the community center well. 

It is where you register your daughter for soccer every August. Heck, the athletic league even talked you into becoming a coach last season. What did you know about coaching soccer for 7-year-old girls? By the end of the season, you were a veritable Lionel Messi.

You smile at the memory. It fades as you look up. 

🜋 🜋 🜋

The community center's auditorium is full. 

Emergency medical service providers are everywhere—all at once. 

Acronyms fly out of officials’ mouths. 

No one knows anything. Not even the sad-eyed old men in brown cardigans with large ID badges affixed to their lapels. They instruct the younger staff how to set up partitions in the back of the hall—making privacy bays. Three folding chairs each. One box of tissues. 

🜋 🜋 🜋

An EMS worker had taken you by the elbow and walked you here, not far away from the elementary school. The community center is just across the soccer fields. 

You protested. 

Lots of fathers protested—and a few mothers. But a sea of flashing lights and high visibility vests and sirens cowed you into being docile. Police dogs barked. Why did they need the dogs? You wanted to follow that point of thought, but you aren’t connecting a lot of dots right now. 

Too much noise. Lights. Chaos. 

Maybe if you are good and follow directions, then things will work out all right.

You continue to comply. 

🜋 🜋 🜋

When you first get to the community center, you look around the room. 

You look at your ex-wife. She is still so pretty, texting her heart out to another man who is far better than you’ll ever be. You squeeze her hand again, but she waves you off—absorbed in reading whatever what’s-his-name is texting her. 

“What’s going on?” you interrupt. 

She just looks at you with grief-stricken eyes. She shakes her head. 

🜋 🜋 🜋

How long have we been sitting here? Time seems both too long and too short. 

The EMS personnel have set up a screen and a projector. A heavyset woman says a few words that no one can hear. The acoustics are bad. No matter. She has nothing of importance to say at this point anyway. No one asks her to repeat her palliative words. 

Someone dims the lights. 

The film begins. Someone twiddles with the volume knob. 

The film stops. It starts over. 

The music is overdone. A sad oboe or bassoon. Neither are necessary.  

The title slide appears: “What You Need to Know About MCI”. 

“What’s MCI?” you mouth to your ex-wife. She shrugs, puts her finger to her lips. She’s shushing you. She never liked when you talked during the movies.  

You google “MCI.” 

Mass Casualty Incidents. 

You swallow hard. 

🜋 🜋 🜋

“Triage is dynamic and ongoing, not a discrete activity . . .” the soothing female voiceover continues her monologue. 

Not a discrete activity. You roll your eyes. Tell that to the parents who still wait outside the school watching the ambulance gurneys come and go. They call out their children’s names—hoping for a lifted head or the slight wave of a hand. It’s the ambulances that don’t drive off with their lights flashing that scare everyone the most. 

“Patient assessment will be prioritized on the scene. Public health officials must consider the number of patients and casualties and emergency medical services personnel available . . .” 

You start counting people around the room. How many of us are there? 

Twenty-one clusters of people. Including you and your ex-wife. 

You look over and see that her husband has joined her, sliding into a warm embrace, both weeping into each other's necks. 

You hold your own hand.  

🜋 🜋 🜋

The movie is over, but no one moves. The woman in charge lets the credits run. 

This is idiotic, you think, watching names scroll by. Who gives a shit about the gaffer on the set? 

You look around to see who else finds this situation untenable. 

What can we learn from watching the credits? You want to scream. How about if you just tell me if my child is alive or not?  

You stand up—righteously indignant. Pacing. You look as feral as a panther. 

A man in a brown cardigan notes your unchecked anger. One of the five stages of grief . . . he’ll say. You will tell him to go straight to hell. If he hasn’t lost a child, how could he ever know what you feel?  

You don’t need this man in your life right now—so you sit down and break eye contact. You dissolve into your phone to doom scroll.

The governor is making a statement. He’s giving credit to those who are due—the heroes in this slow moving horror show. 

You feel your throat constrict, hearing your name called back to the privacy bays. Your ex-wife stands, too, her beloved husband’s arm about her waist. 

The credits of the film have finally ended, but in your tortured reality—they begin to scroll in your mind: a director explains who is in charge of your case. Writers are all about the room, scribbling words to type up later. The head of EMS appears to be the producer, assigning everyone their roles. You hear him tell the director of photography what grisly scenes to snap next. First muffled, now audible, cries and wailing compose the musical score. The Red Cross acts as craft services, bringing in coffee pots and danish. 

What's missing?

Usually near the end of the credits, they list all the shooting locations. 

But if they listed all of the shooting locations . . . 

🜋 🜋 🜋

Three chairs face the man in the brown cardigan. He is just about to speak. 

Your ex-wife looks at you. She reaches out and holds your hand. You squeeze her hand back.

Someone turns on the lights in the community center’s auditorium, but it doesn’t matter. From this moment onward, even when lights come back on—there will always be so much darkness. 


May 25, 2022 16:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

63 comments

Alex Sultan
11:33 May 28, 2022

An unfortunately, necessary story, friend. I can't imagine how difficult it could be as a teacher yourself. In terms of prose, I did like the piece. The frustration about the credits stood out to me the most. I also liked the last line a lot. Here is to hoping America finds a way to mend this issue.

Reply

13:41 May 28, 2022

Your lips to God's ears. SMH... You are a prince of a fellow, Mr. Sultan.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Riel Rosehill
15:51 Jun 04, 2022

And this didn't win...? Jaw. Dropped. You can tell I'm behind with my TBR only getting here now. This is real horror. I'm calling best use of "horror" tag on this one... Left me with so many emotions all at once. The times I wish I had voting rights in countries other than mine..! This is an incredibly raw and strong story and once I realised it wan't going to be what I usually expect from "horror" tagged works, I read on the brink of tears. I hope this will be read by many more people.

Reply

16:21 Jun 04, 2022

Shea and I were holding strong in the running just until the end. L Maddison is a great writer — and hard to compete with the genius of K ❤️

Reply

Riel Rosehill
16:56 Jun 04, 2022

It was one of the toughest race between the Recommended!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
22:27 Jun 01, 2022

This was amazing, Deidra! I kept thinking about how in our own lives when we're out in public or certain situations, there is always an internal monologue going on inside our minds. How we wish we could say something, but common sense (for most people) tells us to be quiet. This was beautifully written as always, and I loved it!! :)

Reply

23:07 Jun 01, 2022

Daniel -- you are a prince. Had to write it. True horror, indeed. Moving to Central Virginia this weekend. My husband and I need to drive up to W.VA and visit y'all :)

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
23:18 Jun 01, 2022

That's awesome!! I'm so glad you guys are making the move. I couldn't be more happy for you guys!! I just finished my first novel, "Tales from Mr. Macabre" and it ended up being 380 pages 82,807 words long. I'm going through the process of getting it published now. I hired a bunch of people to work on this thing from editing, typesetting, graphic design for the cover, and it's really crazy, but I'm hoping to have it out by July or August. I had to take a break from here to get it done, because focusing on that larger piece of work and doin...

Reply

23:43 Jun 01, 2022

I AM BUYING SEVERAL COPIES

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
05:20 Jun 02, 2022

You are far to kind, my friend!! ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dustin Gillham
18:43 Jun 01, 2022

I read this over a couple of times. It came in waves, each tide rolling and washing in, like blips and flashes that froze me at each break with the sobering truth that it all was based on something tangible and real. This piece hit me like a sucker punch to the soul. I'm grateful you wrote this. I'm still praying each day for everyone involved. Deidra, thank you for being a teacher and for guiding our youth in a world where such demonic depravity grips us with confusion and terror. A powerful and timely narrative. Great job. It took ...

Reply

16:26 Jun 03, 2022

You're comment was better written than the story, Dustin :) Thanks, always, for your continued support and your great stories that toggle the thin line between good and evil, happiness and despair. Your depth of heart and soul and intellect always shines though -- even in your sweet comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sharon Hancock
01:41 Jun 01, 2022

Well done. I could feel the frustration and confusion felt by everyone and most of all, the terror. I truly hate the fact that this is so close to nonfiction. I have always known teachers have the hardest job, but lately it’s gotten dang near impossible and utterly hazardous. This had to be an emotional write for you. My heart goes out to you. Thanks for sharing this.

Reply

16:29 Jun 03, 2022

"Frustration" -- that's the perfect word. It just seems so sad and pointless for all concerned. To hopefully better days ahead :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kaitlyn Isaacs
15:28 May 31, 2022

Beautifully written, captures lots of different yet real emotions. These are dark times, most unfortunately.

Reply

16:50 May 31, 2022

I am hoping for much better times ahead. :) Pandora's box, and all that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Seán McNicholl
15:12 May 30, 2022

Heartbreaking, powerful and beautifully written.

Reply

16:09 May 30, 2022

Thanks, Sean. These are dark days, indeed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jay McKenzie
07:17 May 30, 2022

Heartbreaking. 💔 I wish this story weren't necessary. Thank you for writing about things that need to be written about. You've captured such raw pain here, and you've done it sensitively, but with the rawness that needs to be shared. There's not much more I can say. It's just too sad.

Reply

12:51 May 30, 2022

Agreed. This is a story that no one should tell. :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bobbi Brone
14:26 May 29, 2022

Deidra, I am a newbie here, but not in life. I read over other's comments and yours. Writing it out is therapeutic, but you offer more than that. You offer valid insight into a bereaved chaotic mind erratically searching for solace when there is none. There is a way forward, but those who make the laws in the USA need a strong push to do the right thing from the public. I am not an optimist, but this time I feel something will move forward.

Reply

14:34 May 29, 2022

From your lips to God's ears. I hope so. Thanks for your kindness, Bobbi.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
13:59 May 29, 2022

How you manage to convey the layers of tragedy in so few words is truly inspiring. Another great story.

Reply

14:01 May 29, 2022

Appreciate it, Rachel. This particular story took its toll on me.

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
14:22 May 29, 2022

Tough subject for sure 😔

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
J.C. Lovero
13:57 May 29, 2022

Hi Deidra, Appreciate you sharing this piece with us. Very raw and emotional. From a stylistic perspective, I liked how it is constructed as vignettes, mirroring how the mind zooms from one thought to the next in times of crisis. Sadness indeed.

Reply

14:00 May 29, 2022

Thanks, JC ❤️ro. Oceans of sadness...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:18 May 29, 2022

Thanks for sharing this, Deidra. I feel like despite all the media coverage and political discourse around this, and even with the outpouring of grief from the public, we sometimes forget about the gut-wrenching moments those parents had to go through in the scenario you describe. It's awful to imagine but it's the human condition and needs to be told. You are a stylistic chameleon and I learn something from everything you write. Thanks again. :)

Reply

13:57 May 29, 2022

Thanks, Shuvayon. This was both hard, yet gut-wrenchingly easy to write. (It's not hard to conjure up the pure horror of losing everything precious to you.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
18:38 May 28, 2022

Excellent syntax to communicate the fracture.

Reply

19:23 May 28, 2022

This was a tough one, Rebecca. :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
K. Antonio
01:35 May 28, 2022

I really enjoyed the use of 2nd person throughout the story, it adds a layer of introspection that works really well for this story. I also liked the formatting, how the scenes are all very tightly knit but impactful and how the beginning and ending mirror each other. Some of my favorite lines: "Maybe if you are good and follow directions, then things will work out all right." -This captures such a raw innocence, how people really do behave when in a daze. "You hold your own hand." -No comments, just feels. "Usually near the end of the...

Reply

08:56 May 28, 2022

Your support means everything. Thanks 🙏🏻 for your editorial eye and kind comments. Now what are we going to do about Jamie Geller’s husband?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bradon L
23:50 May 27, 2022

You craft stories from current events very well. It’s a hard read because of how tragic and horrid real life is. But I feel like stories like this are necessary for people like me who would otherwise struggle to empathize with the victim’s families. Thanks for such a good story!

Reply

08:59 May 28, 2022

Fiction writing is the one of best ways to engender compassion and bring awareness… On this topic, we’re overdue an authentic nationwide discussion. It’s so easy to look away. Hard to write. Hard to read, I’m sure. But ❤️‍🩹…

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shea West
17:17 May 26, 2022

"You hold your own hand" Oooof. I think this line alone is incredibly symbolic and for so many reasons. It makes me think of the rates of divorce that occur when parents lose a child, a foreshadowing of some kind. I found a fucked up sense of solace in how you brought them to all holding hands together at the end. Because not only is this another collective trauma it's a collective grief, and if we can't do it holding damn hands then what the hell else will we do? 2nd POV was a wise choice here, even if you're not a parent you can imagine ...

Reply

17:18 May 26, 2022

Here we are. And nothing will change.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:24 May 25, 2022

A powerful, difficult read. The pain of the victims and families is unimaginable, but imagining is all most of us can do. What a meaningless nightmare. Thank you for writing this.

Reply

14:36 May 26, 2022

I'm crushed. The only way to cope is to write it out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
19:38 May 25, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

20:04 May 25, 2022

Your lyrical story captured the total mood right now. Powerful, A.G.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:53 Sep 06, 2023

https://exampledomain.com/?u=XXXXX&o=YYYYY please come in I beg you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chris Morris
15:51 Jun 01, 2022

Heartbreaking, and very powerfully written. I don't know how well known it is outside of the UK, but we had a school shooting in Scotland (about an hour's drive from where I live) in the late nineties. Every time I see a documentary about it I'm reduced to tears and sometimes I have to stop watching because it's so unimaginably terrible. Things changed for us after that and I'm quite confident that the US is on that same journey and that things will be better in the future.

Reply

16:26 Jun 03, 2022

Oh Chris, I wish I were as hopeful.

Reply

Chris Morris
17:41 Jun 03, 2022

:-( It will take a very long time. In the meantime, stories like yours are important in keeping that conversation going.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.