63 comments

American Contemporary Horror

This story contains sensitive content

Maybe the lights won't come back on. 

Maybe you can sit in silence in the back of the community center next to your ex-wife for a little while. She’s been remarried for years. You try to remember where what’s-his-name works. 

You hold her hand. She squeezes your hand back.

🜋 🜋 🜋

You know the community center well. 

It is where you register your daughter for soccer every August. Heck, the athletic league even talked you into becoming a coach last season. What did you know about coaching soccer for 7-year-old girls? By the end of the season, you were a veritable Lionel Messi.

You smile at the memory. It fades as you look up. 

🜋 🜋 🜋

The community center's auditorium is full. 

Emergency medical service providers are everywhere—all at once. 

Acronyms fly out of officials’ mouths. 

No one knows anything. Not even the sad-eyed old men in brown cardigans with large ID badges affixed to their lapels. They instruct the younger staff how to set up partitions in the back of the hall—making privacy bays. Three folding chairs each. One box of tissues. 

🜋 🜋 🜋

An EMS worker had taken you by the elbow and walked you here, not far away from the elementary school. The community center is just across the soccer fields. 

You protested. 

Lots of fathers protested—and a few mothers. But a sea of flashing lights and high visibility vests and sirens cowed you into being docile. Police dogs barked. Why did they need the dogs? You wanted to follow that point of thought, but you aren’t connecting a lot of dots right now. 

Too much noise. Lights. Chaos. 

Maybe if you are good and follow directions, then things will work out all right.

You continue to comply. 

🜋 🜋 🜋

When you first get to the community center, you look around the room. 

You look at your ex-wife. She is still so pretty, texting her heart out to another man who is far better than you’ll ever be. You squeeze her hand again, but she waves you off—absorbed in reading whatever what’s-his-name is texting her. 

“What’s going on?” you interrupt. 

She just looks at you with grief-stricken eyes. She shakes her head. 

🜋 🜋 🜋

How long have we been sitting here? Time seems both too long and too short. 

The EMS personnel have set up a screen and a projector. A heavyset woman says a few words that no one can hear. The acoustics are bad. No matter. She has nothing of importance to say at this point anyway. No one asks her to repeat her palliative words. 

Someone dims the lights. 

The film begins. Someone twiddles with the volume knob. 

The film stops. It starts over. 

The music is overdone. A sad oboe or bassoon. Neither are necessary.  

The title slide appears: “What You Need to Know About MCI”. 

“What’s MCI?” you mouth to your ex-wife. She shrugs, puts her finger to her lips. She’s shushing you. She never liked when you talked during the movies.  

You google “MCI.” 

Mass Casualty Incidents. 

You swallow hard. 

🜋 🜋 🜋

“Triage is dynamic and ongoing, not a discrete activity . . .” the soothing female voiceover continues her monologue. 

Not a discrete activity. You roll your eyes. Tell that to the parents who still wait outside the school watching the ambulance gurneys come and go. They call out their children’s names—hoping for a lifted head or the slight wave of a hand. It’s the ambulances that don’t drive off with their lights flashing that scare everyone the most. 

“Patient assessment will be prioritized on the scene. Public health officials must consider the number of patients and casualties and emergency medical services personnel available . . .” 

You start counting people around the room. How many of us are there? 

Twenty-one clusters of people. Including you and your ex-wife. 

You look over and see that her husband has joined her, sliding into a warm embrace, both weeping into each other's necks. 

You hold your own hand.  

🜋 🜋 🜋

The movie is over, but no one moves. The woman in charge lets the credits run. 

This is idiotic, you think, watching names scroll by. Who gives a shit about the gaffer on the set? 

You look around to see who else finds this situation untenable. 

What can we learn from watching the credits? You want to scream. How about if you just tell me if my child is alive or not?  

You stand up—righteously indignant. Pacing. You look as feral as a panther. 

A man in a brown cardigan notes your unchecked anger. One of the five stages of grief . . . he’ll say. You will tell him to go straight to hell. If he hasn’t lost a child, how could he ever know what you feel?  

You don’t need this man in your life right now—so you sit down and break eye contact. You dissolve into your phone to doom scroll.

The governor is making a statement. He’s giving credit to those who are due—the heroes in this slow moving horror show. 

You feel your throat constrict, hearing your name called back to the privacy bays. Your ex-wife stands, too, her beloved husband’s arm about her waist. 

The credits of the film have finally ended, but in your tortured reality—they begin to scroll in your mind: a director explains who is in charge of your case. Writers are all about the room, scribbling words to type up later. The head of EMS appears to be the producer, assigning everyone their roles. You hear him tell the director of photography what grisly scenes to snap next. First muffled, now audible, cries and wailing compose the musical score. The Red Cross acts as craft services, bringing in coffee pots and danish. 

What's missing?

Usually near the end of the credits, they list all the shooting locations. 

But if they listed all of the shooting locations . . . 

🜋 🜋 🜋

Three chairs face the man in the brown cardigan. He is just about to speak. 

Your ex-wife looks at you. She reaches out and holds your hand. You squeeze her hand back.

Someone turns on the lights in the community center’s auditorium, but it doesn’t matter. From this moment onward, even when lights come back on—there will always be so much darkness. 


May 25, 2022 16:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

63 comments

Felice Noelle
12:52 Jun 01, 2022

Deidra: Necessary genius! So raw, and personal, and real, and heartbreaking. I know from personal experience, a parental abduction, what it's like to lose a child, complete with the chaos of emotions, erratic thoughts, guilt-provoking ideas that assail your mind as reality sets in. You did such an insanely accurate job of catching the nuances of sur reality of the situation while filling in some of the human backstory that made it so compelling. I was so immersed that I read it three times, and it only got better with each reading. Tha...

Reply

16:28 Jun 03, 2022

Love your comments :) You always offer a dozen different perspectives -- like a kaleidoscope -- to view the theme through. I am awed by your vast experience and wisdom. Thanks for putting both so eloquently in your comments and your stories!

Reply

Felice Noelle
17:57 Jun 03, 2022

Deidra: By the way, I am just now finishing Follett's latest, "Never." Really good, relevant, and contemporary. He must have done a ton of research that makes his narrative ring authentic. But I still prefer his earlier novels. Just a thought. I was awed by some of the stories this week. They just seem to be getting better and better and attracting some very talented writers. I'm so thankful I found my way to Reedsy for all the wonderful stories. We're enjoying a tropical storm over on this coast, so we're a little soggy and my ga...

Reply

19:46 Jun 03, 2022

O Hurricane Season! Bring it on :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
00:14 May 31, 2022

Very sad and very poignant. I feel so lucky living in Australia, a country without a gun culture. I know what the atmosphere is like, as I spent over 20 years living in the USA. The Wild West never seemed to end there. It just modernised. My heart goes out to those affected by the violence. Very well written, Deirdra.

Reply

16:32 Jun 03, 2022

Thanks, Chris. Australia got it right, just from the outset. I don't know why Americans write off the occasional (okay, NOT occasional) mass shooting as part of our culture. It's a norm, not an anomaly. I find myself looking for the exits wherever I am. That's where we are in 21st c. America.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michael Regan
20:19 May 30, 2022

A heart breaking story. I have tried to put myself in the shoes of those parent -- I can't do, My mind won't go there, Thank you for this bit of insight.

Reply

16:33 Jun 03, 2022

Agreed. The death of a child is the hardest king of grief. The senseless (SENSELESS!) death of a child is probably the angriest type of grief.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
11:58 May 29, 2022

Hey! I have a new story up (Serle's Saga) and I would love your review on it, please. Thanks a ton!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nicole Of 2022
02:34 May 28, 2022

i unfollowed you by accident so thats why im in your notifications lol

Reply

08:52 May 28, 2022

Welcome back ❤️

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
09:03 May 28, 2022

XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ace Quinnton
18:25 May 26, 2022

After reading this, all I have to say is: Huh. Not bad at all, Deidra Lovegren. Though I feel the need to ask you this, what made you think of this kind of story? Of course, the prompt plays along with it, but what sparked the general storyline aside from the prompt? Was the writing based on the current mood you were in? Or maybe something else entirely?

Reply

18:33 May 26, 2022

Current events, primarily.

Reply

Ace Quinnton
18:37 May 26, 2022

Interesting. Well, I just wanted to say, great work! Keep it up. And if you could spare some time to read the story I wrote (using this very prompt), I would appreciate it immensely. Here's the link to it: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/lkjp8i/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
01:36 May 26, 2022

A nightmare captured in powerful words. You have proved once again you have the power to make the prompt obey you.

Reply

14:37 May 26, 2022

Thanks, Suma. I didn't know what else to do.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Scott Tibbs
03:26 May 31, 2022

So sad. I could feel your pain in this piece. Break ups are always hard. I hope you got it off your chest and see things clearly again.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.