398 comments

Contemporary

PLEASE COMMENT A FLOWER EMOJI ON MY COMMEMORATIVE THREAD TO HONOR VAYD DANISH!!!!


Mom's eyes are empty. It's not as if they have nothing in them, because they do, but the something that's there makes you desolate inside. The first time I looked at my Mom, really looked at her, was when I was around five.


"Mom, I'm back!!! We did all these awesome things, with the coloring, and I got to run down the slide, and Joey was tagging everyone, and..." My eyes drifted into hers, the ice from her pupils seeping into mine. "Mom? What's wrong?" I tried to walk to her, to reach for her, but she turned away.


"Mom?" My small, five-year-old feet shuffled as if by magic, ran towards my mom. I couldn't understand, couldn't process why she seemed to be avoiding me. Had I done something wrong?


"Complete your homework." A cold, impersonal voice echoed from her room. "That's all I need to tell you. Good night." Only it was three in the afternoon.


Still, like all faithful, abiding children, I did my homework. I did well in school, got through college. Still, I feared that my mother didn't love me.


"Mr. Deswald?" The bank clerk's voice was like a water bottle, drained to the brim but still wet with gunk. It had never crossed my mind to apply for a job at a bank. If it had, I definitely wouldn't have paid it any mind. I walked into the silent office, surrounded by Jos. A. Bank and Gucci, standing out with my under-50 secondhand suit.


"Please, Joe, sit down." The Bank's Chairman was in front of me, fiddling away at his hands like a clarinet player. I used to play the clarinet. That was a long time ago, though, and I only played because my mom had.


"Hello, Mr. Claythorne." I had never met this man, yet he used a nickname for me as if we had been friends for years. I didn't like Mr. Claythorne, which is what I'd decided immediately. He seemed too free, too willing to do anything he wanted. That wasn't something I admired in a person.


"Well, we have reviewed your resumé and we think that you'd be a wonderful addition to the team here." That I wasn't expecting. I had gone out of my way to make it unappealing given my hate towards the profession.


"Sir, I think we're done here." A mere six seconds into the interview, I walked out. I didn't bother to look at his face after having seen the same time and time again. The open mouth wide enough to swallow an orange, the wide eyes saying Oh no he didn't!! Everything about these people was so predictable that it wasn't fun to give them the benefit of the doubt.


As everyone walked by, trying to push ahead, I turned towards McGinty's. That was the one bar I knew no one would question me, try to impose, or inspect. They would just leave me be.


I could still see the neon lights shining, the gentlemen's club and cabaret signs ingrained in my mind. The sickly green seemed as if it followed you everywhere, like a stain you don't want to wash out.


Some people waved to me, some growled at me, some even spat at me. I didn't know why, neither did they, but they did it anyway. After all, why not take out your anger on a random person you won't see again?


The bar was an old coffee shop, so it was still pretty small. I hadn't seen it in a while since I hadn't been in town, but it was still the same. Mom had never let me leave her, even after college. She kept me there to do her dirty chores. At times, I felt like I was born into servitude. She was my Mom, though, and I had a debt to absolve.


There was never any love between me and Mom, only a sense of what I needed to do, what I needed to say to be free. That was why I had walked out on Mr. Claythorne, leaving him shocked and misunderstanding. He seemed like a person that hadn't worked for anything he'd got. That was enough for me to condemn him.


"Hey. Lager or Champagne?" He already knew the answer. I didn't know his name, didn't care, but I did know him. That was all that mattered, and all that mattered to him was what I liked to drink. This was our own way of mutual respect, him living his life and me living mine.


Some people, some classmates, used to ask me about my life. They used to try and understand me, to make me feel better. What they didn't seem to understand was that I didn't want it. Just like I hadn't wanted that job, despite what everyone else might say.


"Hey man." John Galt plopped down next to me, the same resignation as I, not caring to ask how my day went.


"How 'bout them Red Stockings, huh?" He was the only person I really talked to because he didn't question over and over again.


"Eh, they could've played better." John liked sports, so I decided I'd try 'em. It wasn't out of debt to him, but because I trusted his judgment.


"I got the job at the bank today. They thought I actually wanted it!" John slapped my hand congratulating me.


"You always seem to get the jobs. You know, even though you turn 'em down, you still got 'em!" He didn't have a job either, but he did the same as I did, trying to wander around until I got a job I found fun. I didn't know what that was yet, neither did he, but that didn't matter to us. The process of elimination was practically our motto.


"You know, your mom called earlier." The bartender called over, stretching the phone out for me to pick up.


"Ugh, fine." I made a displeased face at John, and I knew he understood. It was like a landlord calling you to tell you rent was due.


"Mom, what is it?" my voice echoed the emptiness in her eyes.


"Drop the act, Joseph. The cat died, come pick her up and bury her." Her voice hadn't changed a bit.


"Fine, coming over now."

December 15, 2020 00:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

398 comments

08:26 Dec 16, 2020

Wow! It was a sad but deep story! The way a child's spark dies out, and how it changed his whole attitude in his adulthood, makes me want to mourn for that child.

Reply

. .
12:51 Dec 16, 2020

thanks so much!! Exactly what I was going for!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
21:54 Dec 15, 2020

Hey, Luke! This story was super sad. I really don't have a lot to say because it's just making me sad. :( *sniffle* I really wished he could have made up with his mom. I'm so confused, what happened to Vayd? Is everything okay? -Megan S

Reply

. .
21:57 Dec 15, 2020

Thanks so much!! Vayd left because of the response to the comments of Tom(well I did ask nicely) . He was talking about how the people in the top leaderboard spam the upvotes and downvotes on alt accounts, and everyone really trolled him, and he claimed it was even across the board that he was spammed, on all accounts not on reedsy too (he said b cheated for her karma). Vayd didn't think it was okay that we didn't let him speak (not me personally just in general) and he left because of it.

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
00:43 Dec 16, 2020

noooooooo so sad...... i guess karma is pretty toxic

Reply

. .
01:20 Dec 16, 2020

Yeah

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
01:47 Dec 16, 2020

Ah, I see. That's horrible. :(

Reply

. .
12:53 Dec 16, 2020

Yeah. :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
15:53 Dec 15, 2020

Hiii! New thread, cuz that one was getting long

Reply

. .
15:56 Dec 15, 2020

Heyyy!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:04 Dec 15, 2020

Hiiiiiiiiiiii!

Reply

. .
16:04 Dec 15, 2020

Life!!!!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:05 Dec 15, 2020

Uh...TDR!!!!!!!!

Reply

. .
16:06 Dec 15, 2020

The Swallow's Cries!!! I think that's a good name!!!! Or not, I dunno.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
16:05 Dec 15, 2020

HAVE YOU WATCHED THE DRAGON PRINCE

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
02:08 Dec 15, 2020

I got a new story out ^^

Reply

. .
12:46 Dec 15, 2020

I'll read it!!!!

Reply

B. W.
16:39 Dec 15, 2020

thanks ^^

Reply

. .
16:39 Dec 15, 2020

It was great!!

Reply

B. W.
16:50 Dec 15, 2020

yay ^^

Reply

. .
16:50 Dec 15, 2020

^^

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
03:07 Jan 03, 2021

Hi, Luke, great story. I thought it was really descriptive and flowed very nicely from one thing to another. It was a little bit hard to tell what the main idea of the story was though, I didn't know quite what you wanted to tell me. However, that was vastly overshadowed by your ability to describe and show Joseph's personality. You're a very enthusiastic person and it makes your writing entertaining and fun to read. I look forward to checking out more of your stories soon! -Lillian 🌺💐🌺

Reply

. .
13:37 Jan 03, 2021

Thank you Lillian!! The point of this story was just to give you a snapshot of his life and ideas. Thanks so much!! A marshmallow is a part of the Marshmallows and we upvote people that are downvoted or spammed.

Reply

Lilliane Wei
19:21 Jan 03, 2021

Of course!! And you did a great job capturing a single moment in his life. :D Oh I see, I see. Seems like a worthy cause.

Reply

. .
19:22 Jan 03, 2021

Thank you!!!! We both made it on Meg's list!!! XD

Reply

Lilliane Wei
19:25 Jan 03, 2021

I know!!! It's so great of her!!

Reply

. .
19:25 Jan 03, 2021

She's so nice!!!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
03:39 Jan 03, 2021

Ps, what's a Marshmallow exactly?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

This story is pretty good, even better than the top ten books one. I heard about Vayd, so flowers all around. 🌷🌸🌹🍁💐

Reply

. .
15:10 Dec 31, 2020

Thank you Jade!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Chase Panico
16:10 Dec 22, 2020

*flowers*

Reply

Show 0 replies
A. S.
16:18 Dec 16, 2020

Good job! I really enjoyed your character development; I felt like I got to know him really well.

Reply

. .
16:18 Dec 16, 2020

Thanks so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
16:15 Dec 16, 2020

New thread....again Thank you SO MUVCH for not using Tenebris.... ok. So. Larkwings, Telepaths, and Elementals (all having sub-categories like Telekenetic or Fae, which crosses over Telepath and Elemental.) So, Viju asked if they could turn into inanimate objects or things, like mist or air. That got me thinking. What if it can only be done with Elemental magic on the TENEBRIS Spectrum, not the Lux Spectrum. So, I guess it's like Silver with omnipresence because if you're mist, then......yeah. Anyway, that's it. Oh, and there are Necromancers

Reply

. .
16:16 Dec 16, 2020

I said keep it as original as possible, put a spin on it and don't steal more from meeeeeeeeeeeee but that's so cool.

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
16:16 Dec 16, 2020

I said keep it as original as possible, put a spin on it and don't steal more from meeeeeeeeeeeee but that's so cool.

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:18 Dec 16, 2020

Ik, it's just the basics so far. Your ideas are so much cooler, anyway, but Adrazelle is now important. She has her own magiccccccc. It was originally just the Five, but now there's an entire other thing.

Reply

. .
16:18 Dec 16, 2020

Fineeeeeeeeee

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:24 Dec 16, 2020

But if it's too much like yours I can change it

Reply

. .
16:25 Dec 16, 2020

Nah, just make it original

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

Yet another great story!!! Good job!

Reply

. .
21:09 Dec 15, 2020

Thanks so much!!!

Reply

. .
21:53 Dec 15, 2020

:P

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
15:14 Dec 15, 2020

YESSSS THIS WAS SOOO GOOD! As always, you use such descriptive words! I really enjoyed reading this one, too! IT WAS SO SWEET, BUT REALLY SAD!!!!! You made Joseph's personality perfect! It really fit him. Amazing job!!!

Reply

. .
15:16 Dec 15, 2020

Yay thanks so much!!!! I wanted to make it like a snapshot rather than a full-on story!!! Thanks!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
14:55 Dec 15, 2020

Awesome story! 💐🌹🥀🌷🌺🌸🏵️🌻🌼💮

Reply

. .
14:56 Dec 15, 2020

Thanks so much!! In my eyes, no matter your name you'll always be Tobias Eaton in my eyes XD

Reply

Ari Berri
15:00 Dec 15, 2020

No problem! :D

Reply

. .
15:01 Dec 15, 2020

XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
15:06 Dec 15, 2020

Wanna do an upvote-for-upvote?? I'm trying to get to 4000

Reply

Ari Berri
15:09 Dec 15, 2020

Sure! I'm trying to upvote as many people I can.

Reply

. .
15:09 Dec 15, 2020

Yay I'll upvote you too!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
00:44 Dec 16, 2020

dIvErGeNt

Reply

. .
01:25 Dec 16, 2020

Ha no the puzzle isn't that

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
02:17 Dec 16, 2020

ummmmmmm around the world in 80 days???

Reply

. .
12:52 Dec 16, 2020

Nah

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
03:40 Dec 26, 2020

Hi, Luke!! We haven't talked in so longggg. Would you mind coming and reading my recent? If you get five minutes. :) I'd love honest feedback and I'd be happy to read one of yours in return. Your Reedsy Friend, Megan S.

Reply

. .
13:51 Dec 26, 2020

Ofc!!! It’s been a long time yah :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
00:04 Dec 16, 2020

Hey

Reply

. .
00:13 Dec 16, 2020

hey!!

Reply

B. W.
00:16 Dec 16, 2020

how are ya?

Reply

. .
00:20 Dec 16, 2020

great it's 9 here

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
00:44 Dec 16, 2020

waittttt where are you? i thought it was 7:44 ... i guess you're somewhere else

Reply

. .
01:20 Dec 16, 2020

Oh yeah I was estimating it's like 8 now

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
00:31 Dec 16, 2020

9pm or am?

Reply

. .
00:35 Dec 16, 2020

pm so I won't be talking for a while soon

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.