Contest #100 winner 🏆

330 comments

Creative Nonfiction Contemporary Drama

I’d rather be asleep.


I’d rather have ignored your request at my door, small and pleading and moist with youth. I’d rather the song of your furtive feet retreating as quickly as they’d come had been a stray breeze in the night, or the cackling melody of mating geckos. I’d rather have curled deeper into the naked mattress that carves brutal shapes into my spine, because sleep is something I don’t get enough of.


Yet here I am, groping for a light switch in a kitchen that I spend more time inside than my own head. Slumber clings to my face like a thick, waxen mask; I lean against the sink for a few indulgent heartbeats while my eyes adjust to the light and I wait for the mask to melt. It’s your request, not the consequences of ignoring them, that persuades my fingers to curl around a saucepan on the drying rack and move it to the stovetop. It’s knowing you are at the mercy of a belligerent stomach in your bedroom upstairs that gives me the strength to push aside my needs and my rights as I twist the knob to summon a fire. It’s a hungry fire, one that licks at the metal sides of the saucepan with ravenous orange swipes; I know you are hungry as well because the dinner plate I’d washed a few hours ago had held a half-eaten mound of rice drowning in greasy curry.


It’s not my cooking you hate, but circumstance. Your mother, who does not pay me enough, loves to sort your fragile world into locker-sized compartments, their walls as cold as they are rigid. You are to join her for dinner at six-thirty sharp every day, regardless of how hungry you are, or aren’t. You are a picky eater, folded arms and pouty lips, but I forgive you because you are only acting your age. I was a child once too, a few eternities ago, but this comparison ends where it begins. We hail from different worlds, you and I, cleft apart by the razor-sharp edge of a bank note. My job is to serve, and yours is to flash your porcelain teeth and giggle.


But even the pickiest of eaters, such as yourself, cannot resist what I am about to prepare. I feed water to the saucepan, then move to a cabinet while I wait for it to birth bubbles. I take a mental note of our supplies so I know what needs replenishing the next time your mother sends me to the grocer’s with a wad of cash and a warning. There was a time when I was caught in a daze in the sauce aisle, surrounded by rows upon rows of glass bottles filled with kecap manis—soy sauce thickened with palm sugar, sweet and syrupy and as Indonesian as it gets. I glared daggers at the elegant writing on the piece of paper in my hand; for people like your mother, dinner should only be a few ink strokes away, because there is unnecessary exertion in carrying a shopping bag and hoping there aren’t any pickpockets on the bus ride home. I am expendable, somewhere between a human and a commodity; I could have fled to my village in the middle of nowhere and taken the money with me, but I didn’t. I needed to see you fed, and still do.


There are exactly thirteen white plastic packs in the cupboard, stacked neatly against one another like books on a shelf. I retrieve one; it is rectangular and firm, with a photoshopped image of caramel-brown noodles crawling across a plate, complete with a side of fried egg and vegetables. I scoff. No sane person on the planet eats this with their veggies. The quadruple digits next to the “recommended daily intake” of sodium typed out on the back is a good indication this isn’t something you eat if you want to live long. And yet, eating the stuff makes me feel alive. It’s like cigarettes; three packs a day, because I’m addicted.


By now the water froths and frolics, so I snap the pack open, pull out the compact block of brittle yellow noodles, and feed it to the water. Two minutes until they soften. I squeeze out the other half of the magic into a fresh bowl: seasoning powder, chili sauce, sweet soy sauce, and vegetable oil infused with fragrant spices, all bound in their own sachets that come conveniently with the noodles. Little dimensions of flavor, each with their own story to tell to the human palate. I set one sachet aside, whose contents you prefer to be added last.


While the noodles soften and unwind, I introduce a wok to a second hungry flame. It heats rapidly; the cooking oil shrieks in ecstasy as soon as I pour some in. I crack an egg and watch the white bubble and stretch into soft clouds while the yolk cooks at a gentle pace. There is only one way to fry an egg: rich, runny yolk and a crispy browned underside. Minutes away from perfection.


The noodles have relaxed into limp ribbons, so I pour the contents of the saucepan into a strainer. I jostle them until they’re rid of excess moisture, because water dilutes flavor and I will not have you go to sleep unsatisfied. Then I heap them into the bowl with the sauce and seasoning, and proceed to toss until each strand is coated in a uniform layer of greasy goodness. It’s only now that I garnish with the contents of the final sachet: crunchy fried shallots, a divine textural contrast to tender noodles.


As the egg finishes I tilt the wok and spoon scorching hot oil over the top, just to create a firm outer layer for you to break open. That way, you can relish the spectacle of glistening, golden yolk spilling over noodles like lava. When the egg is done, I lay it over your meal like a blanket.


“Intoxicating” doesn’t even begin to describe the aroma in the kitchen, and I suspect someone fasting during Ramadan wouldn’t be able to resist. You must forgive me in advance; I pluck a single strand from your bowl and drape it over my waiting, salivating tongue. It’s a crescendo of flavor, fine-tuned by a corporate giant to perfection: sharp, brothy, MSG-fuelled bliss, mellowed out by subtly smoky, sweet soy sauce, and a suggestion of spice to give it that final Indonesian touch. Mie goreng. Fried noodles. But what makes me truly happy is knowing you are about to experience this, too.


I set the bowl on a serving tray with a spoon and fork. The house does not protest under my footfalls, but I tread light as a cockroach anyway because to give myself away is to give you away. You’ve already had dinner, remember? And you’re most certainly asleep, not seeking out my room in the garage to request a midnight meal. Your mother knows this, the same way your mother knows you want to be a music teacher when you grow up. I know you actually want to be a princess.


As I knock gently on your door, I wonder why you allow me to cross the boundary between my world and yours so often. Is it because your mother is cold and I am the only warm alternative? Is there something magical about the way food appears at your door minutes after you make the request? Or are you simply too young to see the boundary?


I find the answers on your face when you open the door, nestled into the dimples that form as you smile. I smile back. Your tender hands grab the bowl. It is a wordless exchange, and yet it speaks volumes. I don’t need to remind you to hide your tracks using a few squeezes of a lavender air freshener, because we’ve done this countless times. Our little dance on that thin boundary.


Your smile lingers after you close the door. For now, knowing someone appreciates the things my callused, overworked hands manage to cobble together is enough.

July 02, 2021 22:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

330 comments

Aroob Tawfiq
22:26 Jul 09, 2021

Amazing story! I absolutely loved it!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
23:43 Jul 09, 2021

Thank you Aroob! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carrol Halliwell
22:16 Jul 09, 2021

This is, without a doubt, the best winning story I have read on Reedsy. You have an exceptional talent Rayhan. I loved this story.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
23:45 Jul 09, 2021

If you ask me the best winning story is the one for contest #49, but that's very high praise, thank you so much! :O

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nirosha P
22:13 Jul 09, 2021

It wasn't until the end i found out that the narrator was actually the maid. Good job!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
23:45 Jul 09, 2021

Haha yep! Thanks for stopping by Nirosha! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ashley Slaughter
22:11 Jul 09, 2021

Wow! Your descriptions were absolutely beautiful. I was recently introduced to mie goreng (the instant kind that you describe here lol), and it's now one of my preferred dishes for a quick meal. Like you said, though, not too often if I want to live long XD I'd love to try the real thing!!! You did an amazing job displaying the balance between the care the main character felt for the child and the harsh realities of subservience. It was very interesting to read, and the surprising sensory language used throughout definitely kept me intrigued...

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
23:47 Jul 09, 2021

Thanks so much! Yes, agreed with you, mie goreng is just such a perfect, quick and easy dish, isn't it? What's funny is that most Indonesians will tell you the instant kind is better than the real thing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gegi Leon
22:07 Jul 09, 2021

Just, Wow! No words.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
23:48 Jul 09, 2021

A read is enough! Thanks Gegi :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Leticia Mooney
22:01 Jul 09, 2021

Beautiful work, thank you. 🤩

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
23:48 Jul 09, 2021

No, thank YOU! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
21:40 Jul 09, 2021

Oh my god! Rayhan you won! A shortlist then a win! You are really getting it! I can't be more excited and happy for you! I hope you have a wonderful day. I'm so mad that I haven't gotten around to reading this, but I will! I'll be on music camp for a few days, but I promise I'll get to your story when I get back. Again, congratulations!!!!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
23:50 Jul 09, 2021

Yolanda thank you, I wouldn't be here without your support! Unfortunately I couldn't get a fantasy story to win either, but I can't complain ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:34 Jul 09, 2021

I've always been too timid to reach out to you but I am SO happy you've finally won. Personally, all your stories deserve a win or a shortlist in my book(especially Sci-fi) One of the things I really enjoyed was how easily this story flowed. I've read through the comments and an amenity of people are saying how beautiful and delicious this piece is. I agree. I'm still going to continue to hope that at least one of your future sci-fi stories will be awarded a win. Sorry for being a bit repetitive in this comment. Sincerely, Ruthy_May

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
23:53 Jul 09, 2021

Thank you, I'm glad you finally did reach out to me! And I appreciate the encouragement :) No worries, your comment is awesome! Sincerely, Rayhan Hidayat

Reply

06:28 Jul 10, 2021

I'm glad I did😊.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:16 Jul 09, 2021

YESSSSSSS YOU WONNNNN YUS YUS YUS I’ve honestly been waiting for this every since I read (and reread, and reread, and reread) the first story of yours I checked out WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPP congrats dudeeee

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
23:55 Jul 09, 2021

Aerin! You've been leaving happy little comments on my stories since forever, thanks so much for the appreciation! :)

Reply

11:54 Jul 10, 2021

Oop of course, you deserve this! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:15 Jul 09, 2021

Congratulations!👍

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
23:55 Jul 09, 2021

Thanks Gbemisola!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gip Roberts
20:04 Jul 09, 2021

A story about cooking noodles could easily be boring, but you somehow turned it into an adventure full of emotion that had me so preoccupied I completely forgot about my stressful day.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
23:57 Jul 09, 2021

Oh thank you, that's quite a compliment! Slice-of-life stories are definitely more prone to being boring so I'm glad you enjoyed :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
19:56 Jul 09, 2021

Congrats and very well done when it comes to the prompt. Flowed so well and I could almost smell and taste the meal making. Bravo!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
23:57 Jul 09, 2021

Corey thank you, you've been supporting me since I first joined :)

Reply

Corey Melin
00:06 Jul 10, 2021

Hopefully you have submitted your fantasy/sci fi to other contests. There are many out there. You are on your way to being a best seller

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
00:18 Jul 10, 2021

Not yet, but I did submit to my first literary journal as per your suggestion to check out authors publish magazine, so thank you for that :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:46 Jul 09, 2021

Beautiful writing. Entranced to the very end 👏🏻

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
23:58 Jul 09, 2021

Thanks so much Courtney! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
18:41 Jul 09, 2021

I thought this was a wonderful piece. I really enjoyed the caretaker’s perspective and how well they understood the child in contrast to the mother. I thought the description of the meal was amazing. It really made me hungry. :) thank you for writing this piece and congratulations on winning!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
00:04 Jul 10, 2021

Thanks so much for such a lovely and thoughtful comment! I suppose I'm glad I could make you hungry haha :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:37 Jul 09, 2021

Awesome job , buddy! :)

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
00:04 Jul 10, 2021

Thanks for the comment, dude! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
23:06 Jul 02, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
22:35 Jul 03, 2021

Ha! Thanks 😙

Reply

Unknown User
13:40 Jul 09, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
15:09 Jul 09, 2021

Thank you, thank you ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
23:05 Jul 02, 2021

You know mie goreng is good when Courtney Barnett wrote a song about it—> https://youtu.be/OQw2qj2utOg

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yara Haya
15:30 Jan 11, 2024

Perfect. Just perfect. I loved how you described every. single. detail. in this story. I know I'm very late but congrats on the win! Thanks for mentioning Ramadan! Are you Muslim?

Reply

Show 0 replies
J. S. Bailey
13:58 Aug 11, 2023

So many comments already but bravo! Beautiful piece, beautiful prose, beautiful Character.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shahzad Ahmad
21:13 Jul 20, 2023

Raygan I may add that the use of figures of speech and the intricate details of food preparation work in tandem to give your story a sense of immortality. You must be a professional writer! Any way may Allah give more sublimity to your stylistic ingenuity.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.