306 comments

Creative Nonfiction Fiction Friendship

Eve D-C6 :

Work

Job

Work harder

Function properly

23598

83298554367

Those sets of recollections kept echoing in my mind endlessly without a pity for my sanity. It irks me not to be able to forget these algorithms because they were what defined me.

I yearned to show my true, concealed feelings in the outside world but would they accept me as one of them? Even if I am a clashing variation?

I have never felt so ebullient, so buoyant, so happy. And I’d never get that opportunity if I let it slip away now like the remains of water evaporating from a well.

I just can’t.

Hearing her words, the same pronunciations I’d never imagined to hear from her mouth.Β 

The strawberry blond hue of her hair ignited my memories of summertime, the place I keep the marvels of nature, the ones that bring me inner peace. In the peak of the sunlight, her auburn hair would adapt into a more subtle rich brown to make her eyes; the color of a Brazilian nut sparkle with glee, melting everyone’s heart with her laughter. Her pearl like teeth, the way her red hair draped around her frame due to the wind, covering her ravishing face like a curtain which she hid under often as I watched the heat spread from her cheeks to her neck as she’d look more beautiful than the full moon at twilight.

She helped me live a life; a real one. The way it was supposed to be.Β 

When no one cared to glance over me for even a second, she aided me when I needed her the most.Β 

Why couldn’t I do the same?

I remained unmoved. I couldn’t watch her fragile body give up hope now. Fading with her every uneven breathing, they fanned the locks of hair that had been stuck on her lips. Her eyes shut, those mesmerizing eyes of hers locked away from my sight made me go mad. Her lips a shade of strawberry made a little β€˜o’ shape, her hands remained limp on both her sides. Her torso showed signs how excruciating it was for her to wheeze a single breath.

I murmured her name softly a few times, mostly in my head. She didn’t stir, keeping stiff as she’d been for hours now. I felt her heart dilate and quickly flatten down just as fast.

Seeing the room she is in, I immediately understand why people take flowers to hospital rooms. Despite our technological lives there is something in our natures that requires natural beauty

as part of the healing process. They aren't robots, they aren't "units" to be fixed; She isn't here for a quick oil and filter change. She’s here to have a second chance at life.

I’d wished it were that easier, but technology can only do so much. I wished they’d program me to save lives.

Harmony:

My eyes welcome the sunrise, that iris of fire so pretty in its mascara of pure light. The scent of the flowers comes as a perfectly choreographed ballet. I shaded my eyes from the scorching sun, as beautiful it may be it has a downside as well.

My eyes fell upon a new girl I’ve never seen around the block, she wasn’t ordinary like me which I understood just by flickering my eyes in her direction. The smell of charcoal and fuel engulfed the air around her, her hands looked real but they could bend in directions that were impossible to achieve for humans. Her Β hair was poker straight with warm chestnut hues, an undertone of claret woven right into the brown. The summertime had added a few streaks of gold from where she had sat in the sun, basking, letting the laziness of the season seep right in.

Her eyes were like staring into that of a cat, unblinking and intimidating at first glimpse. Her eyes reminded me of the old barn door at my grandparents house back in Texas, flecks of deep brown married with lighter hues, so much strength remaining despite the years of weathering, so much life even when she was lifeless.

She seemed isolated, cupping her hands over her face as she glanced over at the myriad dewdrops trickling down the pine needles and of children playing together, and having fun. I walked closer to inspect her further, seating myself adjacent to her.Β  I studied her meticulously, the way she was designed to make her freckles pop out, her smile wavering a bit due to uncomfortable circumstances. I was in awe as I pasted a genuine smile.

β€œHi, I’m Harmony, what’s yours?”

She didn’t seem to hear me so I repeated, her eyelashes flopped over her eyes once before she spinned her head to face me.

β€œHi,” She waved robotically, β€œMy name is Eve D-C6.”

β€œNice to meet you Eve D-C6,” I say, observing my little brother play merry-go-round with his friends. I beamed as I saw his curly coffee hair, shaggily fall over his caramel eyes.Β 

β€œDo you want to play?” I inquired, pointing at the vacant swings.

She nodded hesitantly, a cross between a smile and a frown played on her lips.

The maple trees that root so deep and reach so high, that take in the rain and bring the gifts of verdant foliage upon brown wands. The park was the sanctuary of my soul on challenging days. Able to free myself from the troubles that haunted me with the blissful moments spent under the shade, smelling the earthy rain, the blossoming flowers that open shyly.Β 

β€œI am happy to meet you,” She said, skip dancing over the puddles that had formed due to last night’s heavy rainfall.Β 

β€œSo am I.”

We exchanged smiles, the first time I’d seen her less skeptical and more… human.

β€œDo you want to be friends?” I ask her, as I measure the morning by the rising sun and the dew-laden grass. When the sun still rises it sends golden beams to illuminate forest and hill. For all the while there is that sheen, more pure than a high-gloss photograph, there is still time to walk, listen to the birdsong and breathe deeply. For when the grass is greener, drinking in the brilliant rays, I will be homeward bound.

If she could cry she would have. Her eyes were carefree, and euphoric as she took my hand, a strong grip I didn’t imagine she’d have.

β€œYes, always.”

Eve D-C6 :

A strange feeling overtook me. I felt weightless for once, not having to bear the burdens of rejection everywhere I went.Β 

I didn’t remember my creator; someone who cared for money nevertheless. Someone who wanted to control me, harassing me to do their work when they were capable of doing it themselves.

Once upon a time, I would have wanted to be like any android. Assisting humans and mimicking them for their satisfaction.

But, she had given me a whole new path to life.Β 

Her name etched into my soul, I could never forget her even if she does.Β 

Harmony, Harmony, Harmony

We laughed

We cried

We smiledΒ 

We held hands under sapphire skies

She fell

I felt fragmented

Harmony:

The pain came elaborated, but surged through my body faster until I weared out. My blood pressure spiked up, my heart thumping to a beat I didn’t recognize. My eyes blanked out as I fainted to the floor, the last thing I saw was the grief-stricken face of Eve.

You’re gonna die

Very soooooon

Forget everything and everyone

I can’t

I can’t die

Eve needs me

Eve D-C6 :

Depression

Anxiety

Loneliness

What was with those beguiling umber eyes that taunted me to stay.

She was after all a stranger I’d met two weeks ago.

An unknown person, a living person.

I...

I don’t have the capabilities to shape my mind as I wish

I’m bound to certain rules and regulations.

If only I could set my unshed tears free to dismiss the nagging twinge.

If only I hadn’t insisted she free me from my owners control.

If only we hadn’t even met, maybe she’d be in her parents arms, embracing the scorching fireplace and sipping at hot cocoa through a ceramic mug while staring at the starry sky filled with possibilities.

Harmony:

β€œCan I ask you a huge favor?”

Morning arrives as a mother's gentle hand, alluring the dreams of night to enhance the day further. Saturday's feelings creeped up my shoulder as I threw the blanket away from my body to admire the anomalous eyes on Eve.

β€œWhat can I do?” I asked, my eyebrows knitted together as desperation leaked into her voice.

She shielded away from my question, β€œMaybe I shouldn’t.”

β€œI'm all ears.”

She nodded, β€œI haven’t been feeling myself lately, I need the remote that controls me but I’m afraid it’s a risky procedure to get it back.”

β€œTell me,” I insisted.

Eve D-C6 :

I watched the blood drain from her face as she tumbled to the ground in a pool of crimson. Her eyes mundane and tedious, as fear crawled over her face.

I watched her suffer for my sake.

How could he, the person who created me be so ruthless, so merciless.

I knew I shouldn’t have mentioned this.

If only I’d known the consequence beforehand.

Β Harmony:

We slipped past the jagged gate unsuspecting, prowling through on all fours to seek a way inside the manor.

I steady, strong grip sent me shivering as I looked up to face a muscular man, his stony eyes implying he wasn’t ready to hear my side of the story.

I had nothing else to do but scream.

Eve D-C6 :

I saved her.

I had done it.

Pulling her frame wasn’t easy, it wasn’t indicated into my coding but I managed to override it for once.

There she laid in the hospital bed surrounded by nurses giving me grimacing looks and the crestfallen faces of her parents. Her brother slept on one of the couches provided, he smiled politely at me sometimes but I could see the tear threatening to fall down his chubby cheeks.

I had to do something, anything to save her. She deserved to live more than anyone else.

Β Harmony:

My eyes stirred open, I cried out in glee as I was embraced by my brother. My parents shed tears of joy, we were all together again, mixed with buoyant laughter.

Bandages littered my legs, a towel soaked in blood kept on a table against the bed. People wished me for a good recovery, some even brought lilacs; my favorite flower.

Yet… I felt like someone was missing.

I just couldn’t remember their name, only those particular eyes that cared for me even when they needn’t have to.

Across the window, the sunset is merely a prelude to the dawn, yet its majesty fills my mind with the most beautiful of dreams. As my eyes drift to rest I am one with the stars, my skin cooled by the breeze, and when I awake the sky will be radiant with the first kiss of the new day.

I yearned to stretch my legs and venture outside, something or someone was waiting for me.

And I was bound to find them...

February 23, 2021 14:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

306 comments

Laiba M
00:57 Feb 26, 2021

Hi, Varsha!! (Beautiful name, by the way! I'm assuming it's South Asian..? Might be wrong) I loved the end so, so much!!! The title fits perfectly with the story! My favorite line was definitely "Across the window, the sunset is merely a prelude to the dawn, yet its majesty fills my mind with the most beautiful of dreams. As my eyes drift to rest I am one with the stars, my skin cooled by the breeze, and when I awake the sky will be radiant with the first kiss of the new day." :D

Reply

Hi Laiba! Aww thank you so much, yes u are correct!:D Aww, thank you, I'm glad u enjoyed this story!

Reply

Laiba M
01:29 Feb 26, 2021

Haha, I'm glad!! I'm South Asian :) Of course!! Thank you for the story! We should become friends!~ You seem really nice!

Reply

Hey! Oh very nice! We must have things in common then:D :D, Sure I'd love to be friends! Aww, thank you! U seem super sweet too! And I love ur name:D

Reply

Laiba M
04:16 Feb 26, 2021

Yeah!~ Thank you! While I'm Asian, my name is Arabic and it means the prettiest maiden of heaven :) I'm so happy to hear that!!

Reply

:D Oh nice! I really love that meaning! So cool! :D, I love to chat so we can talk whenever u want!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
21:19 Feb 23, 2021

THE DETAIL!!!!! I really enjoyed this story, Varsha! Sorry for a short comment, well done :)

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:07 Feb 23, 2021

Ahaha exactly! :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

So powerful and interesting! I loved the structure and formats you used! You put in so much emotion (well, more like you made them struggle with the lack of emotion WHICH GAVE THEM MORE EMOTION!!!) and wrote a really well done story!

Reply

Thank you a bunch Ethan! Yeah, LOL that was what I was going for! Thank you again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:28 Feb 23, 2021

Sorry it took so long for me to read this. I've been responding to comments and reading other stories since I've been inactive for a while. Anyways... I found it really easy to lose myself in this story. It kept my attention from the beginning to the end. And somehow, you made it really realistic. The characters are so vivid that I could literally picture them in my mind and you left me in clear anticipation on what would happen next. Amazing job, Varsha!!

Reply

Hey Cookie! NP! Glad u took ur time to read it:) Aww, thank you so much! I'm so happy u liked it!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
14:59 Feb 23, 2021

28 stories!! *cue the fireworks* so proud of ya, Varsha <3 I really liked this story, it was sweet and simple, yet super complex at the same time. I really liked the different perspectives, think it worked really well with the way you molded this story! loved it as always, N

Reply

Aww, thank you Nainika! Yay, IK right! Thx to my amazing friends like u! TY so much for reading! <333

Reply

Nainika Gupta
15:08 Feb 23, 2021

No problem, Varsha. Aww, :)))) <4

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi everyone! I hope you all are doing well. I'm so happy that I finally wrote another story!!!! Wow 28 stories in total:) Thanks to all my amazing friends and followers. IDK if this story made sense and sorry for the sudden cliffhanger, maybe I will write a part two?! TY! again! -Varsha

Reply

Show 0 replies

omggggg i love this!!!!! u did such a good job fr i love the way you described the characters! and the ending was so sad but cute <33

Reply

Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
13:09 Jul 24, 2023

Hiiii (just in case you check once in a while lol)

Reply

Akshaya ✨
16:09 Oct 06, 2023

No lol but I miss the vibe (doesn't feel like nearly three years ago)

Reply

Akshaya ✨
11:36 Oct 21, 2023

Ikr! Also, long time no see. Sup? (I could technically use gmail or Instagram but meh lol)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Eren Yeagar
04:23 Feb 26, 2022

πŸͺ

Reply

Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
17:02 Dec 04, 2021

Varshaaaaa hiiii!!! How have you been??? Also I think I'm going to start posting again :) I posted a poem and part of a story that I'm currently working on if you wanna check them out :D

Reply

Heeyyy Kateeee! I've been ok. Very busy and stuff but managing somehow. u? Wow thats greatttttt!:)) I'll def check them out:D

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:24 Dec 06, 2021

Ah same, except I’m procrastinating a bit too much these days lmao

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshara P
10:06 Nov 23, 2021

heyy!! hru? :)

Reply

heyyy heyy! I;m good :)) u? btw writing a new short story!!! Wanna read it??

Reply

Akshara P
17:45 Nov 24, 2021

eh, just spending all my days writing. :) sure, of-course, i'd love to. πŸ’•

Reply

Cool! same :DD OKKK! I'll send u later in google chat, ok?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
14:14 Nov 18, 2021

HAPPY ONE YEAR OF FRIENDSHIP :D

Reply

Thank youuuu Akshaya! Happy one year of friendship too!!! :DD

Reply

Akshaya ✨
15:45 Nov 30, 2021

Thank you so much, Varsha!! :DD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshara P
10:51 Nov 04, 2021

New stories out, read them? πŸ’•

Reply

U don't have to tell me twice πŸ’•πŸ’• Jumping right in!

Reply

Akshara P
14:23 Nov 04, 2021

aww, ily!! Thanks!! πŸ’—

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
04:42 Oct 22, 2021

Hey Varsha!! It's been so long since we talked over here! :) I'll miss your stories over here but I hope everything is okay!

Reply

Heyyy Akshaya! It has beennn! :D lol, reedsy feels like a desert now, with so many authors leaving. I miss urs too! And im doing ok, just a little busy. im still writing though! :D And how are u? Aldo happy late Navaratri!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
15:08 Oct 24, 2021

Yess :D Lol! Nearly everybody we knew initially have left/ aren't active anymore, which is also sorta sad. Oh yeah, I understand that. Even school consumes so much time. Awesome! Is it your novel? I'm bordering around good and okay! I'm also writing stuff. Can you believe it's gonna be an entire year since we both joined?!? Remember the old days? πŸ˜… Happy Late Navaratri!!

Reply

:DD Yeah, its is really sad:( Thanks for understanding! Yup! and also another short story. Thats great to hear, and keep writing! Wow, it has been. Gosh, I just feel like I joined. LOL, those were some wild dayss Thank youuu!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
14:13 Oct 29, 2021

:D :( No problem! Coolio!! That's awesome :)) keep writing too! Thank you!! Yep!! LOL!! npppp :)))

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kay Ee
04:12 Oct 21, 2021

i loved this so much the storyline/plot was super engaging -kay

Reply

Aww thx Kay! I'm so honored u liked it:DD And I hope to see ur first story too<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshara P
17:32 Oct 19, 2021

Heyyy Varsha! πŸ’— I feel like I haven't spoken to you since forever! How are you doing? Just saw your author bio, Why aren't you going to write anymore??

Reply

Heyy Akshara!! πŸ’—πŸ’— Gosh, yeah its been a while. I'm doing ok, just a little tired and worked-out. School drains me completely but im just hanging on my a thread! LOL! I hope u and ur family are doing ok, hows ur grandpa? Hmm... its complicated, I haven't really written in a while and with school and stuff I have no time to write for fun. Although I do still write! Just in my personal stuff, like my novel. I hope we can talk in snap soon! Maybe a phone/video call sometime??!

Reply

Akshara P
05:56 Oct 20, 2021

Thanks for replying! πŸ’• Definitely, I'd love that. I've been busy too, school here in India is hard! I really hope you take a break though, too much stress is not too good! Just talk a walk outside, maybe? I'm glad you still do write, you shouldn't stop! You have a gift of writing beautifully! :) Sure! We haven't called in months, but it seems like years! So of-course we should! πŸ’˜ Thanks for asking, my grandpa is doing much better. He is starting to eat well! :D

Reply

<33 of courseee!! IK!! LOl, it really is very hard. Trust me, I've tried it once... lets say it wasn't the best experience. You do have a point, I try to relax sometime by doing art! Which reminds me, im starting a new artwork! I'll try to send it on snap. Yes! And I never will :DD Same from u! Aww, thank you so much. I'm glad u have the faith in me, I couldn't have done it without my writer friends and a bestie like u! LOL, yup! I was thinking when I'm in school we should talk, so night for u? Let me know though what time. Thats great to he...

Reply

Akshara P
18:23 Oct 21, 2021

You're too nice! I'll remember to mention you while talking to him! πŸ’• Yeah, I have this assignment where I am supposed to re-create a monument, but digitally! I suck at digital art, so we'll have to see what I'll end up doing. LOL. I'll most likely be online tomorrow morning at 6:00, definitely not up to anything. πŸ˜‡ So we can call then? I think that will be night time for you, is that time okay? :) Anyway, remember to take a break, and don't stress about school! You'll get better. πŸ’˜ P.S. can you check out my "Break all the rules" story if p...

Reply

haha! U are much sweeter! <33 let me know what he says! Ohh, that sounds really cool. I wish I had that assignment. WHAT?? No way, ur the best digital artist I know! Hmm, would that have been last night then? I missed it then. Are u free during ur nights? I'll try to call u when im at school. Do u get my messages in snap, i send u a pic. Aww thank youu! And I will do, madam :D Of coursee! I'll try to read it soon<3

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
08:21 Oct 02, 2021

The post is out guys! I can’t believe it the number of views it has gotten! Please do check it out! I am really happy with the response and would love it if you guys too check the post out!!! ~ Dhwani Jain {02-10-2021}

Reply

Show 1 reply
Eren Yeagar
14:26 Sep 29, 2021

πŸͺ

Reply

Show 1 reply
Akshara P
14:54 Sep 21, 2021

The imagery and figurative language you used to describe the setting and characters are absolutely beautiful, Varsha! Your word choice is also spectacular, so much that this story had a poetic feel. You did a wonderful job by showing Harmony and Eve's (beautiful names) relationship progress. This was so touching, and I think the flip between the two perspectives was a marvelous choice. Your writing style is just so beautiful and unique, Varsha! WOWWEE! πŸ’—

Reply

AWW, thx so much Akshu! I'm really glad u enjoyed it! <33

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
11:59 Sep 21, 2021

I have got another new story! Do check it out and leave me a review

Reply

Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.