152 comments

Fantasy Funny Kids

Walmart.


Stupid, stupid Walmart.


If I had just gone to Safeway, I could’ve avoided everything that had happened.


But no. I went to Walmart.


*****


It started at noonish last Sunday. Normally, I wouldn’t even be out of bed at noon, because weekends are for sleeping in. If I go to the grocery store at all—I’m 15, so my parents do most of the shopping—it’s at midnight or so.


Not this time.


I had a checklist, okay? It was on PAPER. Weird, I know. Too bad—I only follow a checklist if it’s written out. What was this particular checklist about, you ask? Well, this checklist was random things I wanted to happen this month:



My Checklist (Finish Before February):



☐ Go to Virginia Beach even though it’s winter

☐ Go to Walmart at NOON, not midnight

☐ Read a book that isn’t epic fantasy

☐ Attempt to eat a shrimp

☐ Meet a magical creature (LITERALLY ANY MAGIC) 

☐ Buy some scissors

☐ Teach Dad about Siri

☐ Get a DOGGY!!!



I made a new one every month. A magical creature sighting and going to Walmart at a reasonable time were the two tasks I could never accomplish, though, so they were on EVERY list.


Where was I? Right. It was noon, so I hopped in my car and drove to Walmart.


*****


It was snowing extremely lightly when I started driving.


It was storming into a monster blizzard by the time I got to the supermarket.


I live 5 minutes away from Walmart.


I was a bit disturbed, but I still parked my car and ran into the store. I would be there for a while, waiting out the blizzard.


I walked in…just as everybody was leaving.


And I mean everybody. Huge swaths of people were jogging out of the huge store—even Walmart regulars, which was especially weird. When those people go to the store, they go to the store.


Besides, while the blizzard was freaky, it was better to wait it out in a store than drive in it. Nobody seemed to realize that, though—everybody was trying to scurry out of the supermarket in record time.


I didn’t care. I had gotten this far to check off a task on my checklist, so I was going to buy a pack of Lays.


*****


My feet clacked against the tiles as I marched into Walmart. Only the cashiers were still there, but then something came over the speakers:


“ATTENTION, ATTENTION,” a gruff voice boomed, “THIS WALMART IS CLOSING DUE TO AN EXTREMELY LARGE BLIZZARD THAT IS TOTALLY NATURAL. SO… YEAH, GET OUT.”


I didn’t stop. 


I was getting those chips.


The cashiers started to pack up. Soon, I was the only person in the Walmart—which was super freaky.


The Walmart near my house was huge. It’s usually bustling with noise and people, though. Now, there was no sound, no inhabitants minus me.


I groaned. The cashiers were gone, so I couldn’t buy the bag of chips in my arm.


I placed the Lays down and started walking towards the exit. Right before I walked out of the sliding doors showcasing the snowy wonderland beyond, I heard something that made me stop in my tracks:


A clatter.


I slowly started to walk towards where the sound had come from. Right before I entered the jewelry aisle (yep, my Walmart has one of those) I saw something: a figure clad in black, a bag full of something swung over his back.


Normally, I would’ve called 911, or at least screamed “ROBBBBER! SOMEBODY CATCH THIS GUY! HE’S STEALING STUFF! STOP HIIIIM!”


But I didn’t. Not just because there was no one around to hear me—I had my phone, after all.


No, I didn’t do anything because of one crucial fact: the figure wasn’t that of a grown person. It was maybe a foot and a half tall.


Hint hint: the robber was...


A baby?!


*****


I hadn’t realized I had said those words out loud until I had, well, said them out loud. My voice echoed in the giant supermarket as I rounded the same corner the baby had previously.


When I turned onto the card aisle, there was a baby giggling on the floor. 


The baby looked like a baby. It had a dreamy smile and was drooling a little, wiggling around. I wasn’t fooled—his all-black outfit was snagged on a nearby Happy Birthday! card.


Right, the baby was naked.


“Ack!” I exclaimed. I grabbed the black jumpsuit and threw it on the baby. “Put your robber outfit on!”


I stopped short in my tracks. What was I doing? I was probably hallucinating. Yeah, that was it. No baby would actually be robbing a Walmart with a black outfit and some strong legs. Nope, that wasn’t possible.


I took my thoughts back an instant later, when the baby caught the jumpsuit, stood up (and I don’t mean the baby version of standing up. I mean this infant was standing tall [as tall as an infant can stand…]), pulled it over his head, then groaned and started talking.


“Seriously?” The baby grumbled in the voice that had warned people to leave over the speakers. “You didn’t fall for it? Most people would see a baby and help it, not act like it can talk and put on its own clothes!


My jaw literally dropped. The baby was talking. DANG, this day was weird. I mean, I suppose since I had just seen the baby RUNNING and ROBBING, talking like a grown human wasn’t so strange, but still. You try seeing an infant speak in complete sentences and not being shocked.


After an awkward moment of silence, I finally recovered from my suprise:


“But you can talk and put on your own clothes.” I pointed out. “And no, I’m not falling for it because I just saw the same baby running. And robbing.”


“But still!” The baby threw his chubby little arms up. I stifled a snort. “I worked hard to conjure up that blizzard!”


“Wait, you conjured it up?” I squinted. “Actually, I guess that makes sense. Hold on…you're the guy who made the announcement, right?”


The baby nodded.


“Then why the heck did you add that the blizzard was totally natural?”


“I thought it would shake everybody off.”


“No!” I scowled then pondered a second. “You’re not very bright, are you?” I shook my head. “Oh, who am I kidding. You’re a baby.” I scratched my head as I studied the kid. “You. Are. A. Baby. Geez. How are you talking? And walking?”


“I’m not a baby, stupid!”


I laughed. “Suuuure. The baby calls me stupid.” I shook my head again, but this time to clear it. “I need to go. I’m definitely hallucinating.”


I started to walk away but a small hand pulled me back. I turned around and found the baby standing there. “I’m not a baby. Well, I am, but not a baby human. Well, I can be, but not all the time…” his voice trailed off and I said, “Whuh?”


A moment later, there was no infant standing in front of me. There was a baby unicorn.


Next, a newborn tiger.


Third, a tiny dragon.


Then, a baby goblin—what I think a baby goblin would look like anyway. He was maybe two feet tall, with green-brown skin and a shock of purple hair.


The goblin grinned at me. “See? Not a baby. A goblin is my normal form.”


“Normal…form…” my brain put together the words with what I had seen. “You’re a shapeshifter?”


“Yeppers. And now, since I can’t have you tattling on me, goodnight.”


I was about to ask what the heck he meant when the tiny goblin-robber swung his heavy bag into my head.


*****


I woke up in my bed.


My mom was sitting on the end, typing. She was a doctor but in her free time, she was an author. When she noticed I was awake, she smiled and scooted over. “So glad you’re up, Tyler.”


“Yeah,” I mustered.


“The police found you unconscious in the Walmart. The whole place had been robbed. Everyone’s so glad you’re okay!”


I mumbled, “Thanks.” 


“Do you, by any chance, know who the robber is?”


I racked my brain but couldn’t think of a single good answer. Any lie could backfire, and the truth was…iffy. “Ummmm…”


“You kept muttering ‘it was a goblin’ right before you were about to wake,” Mom recalled, “but goblins don’t exist and you were probably just saying whatever.”


I thought about the baby goblin/unicorn/tiger/dragon/human. “Nope. No idea who the robber is.”


Mom kissed my forehead and left the room, and I grabbed my checklist-containing notebook.


I flipped to January’s checklist. Grinning, I checked off the box for Go to Walmart at NOON, not midnight.


Grinning wider, I checked off the second box I could never accomplish.


“Meet a magical creature,” I whispered as I capped my pen, “check.”



July 28, 2020 12:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

152 comments

Sunny 🌼
17:53 Jul 28, 2020

Random and magical, everything you want in a short story.

Reply

18:04 Jul 28, 2020

Thank youuuu!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sue Marsh
15:24 Jul 28, 2020

I really enjoyed this story, it was well thought out and I loved the twist at the end.

Reply

15:25 Jul 28, 2020

Thank you, Sue!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
15:21 Jul 28, 2020

Hey Aerin! Great job on this new story! I loved it! The magical creature was a big plus! Awesome!

Reply

15:22 Jul 28, 2020

Thank you!!! 😊😊😊

Reply

Avery G.
15:24 Jul 28, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
15:20 Jul 28, 2020

Yay, magical creatures! I loved it! :D

Reply

15:20 Jul 28, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Isha Singh
14:02 Jul 28, 2020

Amazing story! Loved how you didn’t just go with the obvious mystery-thriller plot but made, like, funny. Also I noticed a little typo in teh 8th last line(I know I’m annoying). Keep writing! Also I know this too much to ask for, but can you please go the site in bio and review my book their. If you feel like buying it please do, but if you don't then rate it on the basis of the sample.

Reply

14:04 Jul 28, 2020

Thanks so much!

Reply

14:05 Jul 28, 2020

Hi again. Couldn’t find the typo—would you mind specifying where it is? Thanks!

Reply

14:07 Jul 28, 2020

Nevermind, I found it. You can ignore all the previous messages!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:06 Aug 06, 2020

Well, it's original alright. Character-wise, it's 15-year-old talking. Still quite entrtaining and breathlessly paced. I read in less that ten minutes, which a record for me. Thanks for posting!

Reply

20:17 Aug 06, 2020

Thanks so much, Constantine! ~Aerin

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kira Krieger
21:00 Aug 05, 2020

*I have a problem with "Where was I? Right.", but I don't know why. *"It was snowing extremely lightly when I started driving. / It was storming into a monster blizzard by the time I got to the supermarket." ~ You need a transition between these two like: but (or) after turning off my street... Or write something like After driving through a snowglobe snowfall, I turned onto the street in front of Walmart and was hit by a full-blown monster blizzard. *"the jewelry aisle (yep, my Walmart has one of those)" ~ Most of, if not all, do. *"Not ...

Reply

21:27 Aug 05, 2020

Thanks for the feedback...🙃🙃🙃 ~Aerin

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Mercer
12:07 Aug 04, 2020

Hi, Aerin, reading your story as requested, and I like it very much indeed! I love the way that the mundane segues into the fantastical and yet they also seem to overlap. As to list making, I always have, just (weirdly) not shopping lists - and it works really well as a device!

Reply

12:25 Aug 04, 2020

Thanks, Deborah! Haha, yeah! I also use paper lists if I use lists at all. I’m so glad it turned out well digitally! 😊😊😊 ~A

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marsha Webb
10:08 Aug 04, 2020

Really fast paced fun story that kept my interest all the way through. Well done for having a go at that prompt, I had no idea where to start.

Reply

12:19 Aug 04, 2020

Haha, thanks! I love writing fantasy and fantasy comes easily to me, so I often turn realistic fiction prompts fantasy and have fun with that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Katrina Lee
01:43 Aug 04, 2020

this has a hilarious undertone and a really lighthearted atmosphere attributed to the your diction XD I really like how it turns out :)

Reply

01:45 Aug 04, 2020

Haha, thanks so much! That’s pretty much how I’d describe my writing—‘lighthearted atmosphere’. I write for kids (cuz I AM a kid) and try to make my writing peppy, so I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks again, Katrina!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Leane Cornwell
00:19 Aug 04, 2020

You make me feel like we are old friends having a conversation! It all flows perfectly into what should be a fitting ending, but, no.....you fooled us! Love it.

Reply

01:38 Aug 04, 2020

Thanks so much! 😁😁😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eliza C.
22:55 Aug 03, 2020

This was such a fun and interesting story! Great Job

Reply

23:25 Aug 03, 2020

Thanks, Eliza! 😊😁😆

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jane Andrews
20:19 Aug 03, 2020

Fun story - I kind of guessed your protagonist would meet a magical creature in Walmart, but it was cool waiting to see what it would be. This is quite similar in tone to one of mine, ‘Unicorn Eggs’, if you want to look at that. It works really well when your characters have such a matter of fact approach to magic, Lomé you do here. Well done.

Reply

20:20 Aug 03, 2020

Thanks a ton, Jane! 😊 I’ll totally check out your story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
C.J Dunstall
00:44 Aug 03, 2020

wow, that was a good story. i like how you had the robber start off as the most innocent thing. quick question tho. why does a 15 year-old have a car of her own that she can drive? p.s sorry about the grammar and all that kinda trying to do two things at once

Reply

01:39 Aug 03, 2020

Thanks! Oh, woah, geez, I completely forgot about that! Oops... Thanks again, C.j! ~A

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amy DeMatt
23:30 Aug 02, 2020

Loved it! This was fun and hilarious! I'll be looking for more, Aerin B.!

Reply

23:46 Aug 02, 2020

Thank you so much, Amy! I’m glad you liked it. 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tolu Odel
22:52 Aug 02, 2020

My guess the riddle (2020-08-02): In this question?

Reply

23:42 Aug 02, 2020

Interesting guess, but sorry, no! 🙃 Keep trying! 👍👍😁😁

Reply

Tolu Odel
22:34 Aug 03, 2020

Aww :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Reeva Lalani
20:50 Aug 02, 2020

hey! you told me to check out ur story so here i am. i gonna be honest. this was a fun read read with a bizarre twist. i loved how it flowed well and great use of figurative language. but just for future reference, some of it was out of the blue and a little random, and i noticed some slang words in there, so try to tone that down and avoid those words but i loved it nonetheless. great job!

Reply

20:55 Aug 02, 2020

Thank you! That means so much to me, Reeva! Yeah, I should probably stop using slang words. Although in my actual writing I DO use them, because kids use works like ‘kinda’ and my writing in for kids. Right. The main character here isn’t really a KID, but he still probably uses what I call ‘kid words’. I don’t know what came of this paragraph, but...yeah. Thanks again! 😁 -A

Reply

Reeva Lalani
16:54 Aug 05, 2020

of course! i love for you to check out any of my stories(i have 2 as of rn). tips, feedback, anything would help. thank you!

Reply

17:16 Aug 05, 2020

I’ll definitely check out your stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Gideon Gichohi
00:34 Aug 02, 2020

I've checked it out

Reply

Show 0 replies
Deborah Angevin
01:10 Aug 01, 2020

The title hooked me to read the story. This is an enjoyable read! Would you mind checking my recent story, "A Very, Very Dark Green?" Thank you :)

Reply

01:10 Aug 01, 2020

Thanks, and sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Krishi Norris
14:48 Jul 31, 2020

Great story, lol. I love the sarcasm that flows throughout this story!

Reply

15:21 Jul 31, 2020

𝙏𝙝𝙖𝙣𝙠𝙨 𝙨𝙤 𝙢𝙪𝙘𝙝! 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.