168 comments

American Romance Sad

Author's Note: I wrote this story with the help of my friend, Celeste. Check her out and her part of this story! (This is Baneenkani's (Kani's) point of view.)

Brown cardboard boxes were stacked high everywhere in the living room. Well, what would be the living room. For now, it was just another empty space in the small apartment. The only thing that was in it, other than the boxes, was Garnet (my boyfriend) and myself. 

“It’ll be different, that’s for sure. But I think we can turn it into a home. Together,” I fantasized. Garnet grinned at me as he walked towards me. He leaned towards me and pressed his lips on mine. The kiss lingered for a moment, my hand on one side of his face. Once we released each other, I walked down the hall and into our bedroom, where only a mattress laid. 

Our bedroom. Our bedroom. Wow, that feels to good think. I thought. The floorboards creaked under my weight as I shuffled to the mattress. The moment my head hit it; I was asleep. 

--- 

Four weeks later, the furniture has arrived and been set up, and most of the boxes have been unpacked. In the past week, things had been tensed between Garnet and me. It was odd. It had happened all of a sudden. Garnet argued with everything I had to say about the house—everything good I had to say, that is. It seemed that he was constantly miserable with the living situation. 

One Friday night, Garnet and I were in the kitchen, making Hamburger Helper and salad. It was a normal Friday meal for us. I stood at the counter, mixing lettuce, cheese, bacon pieces, ranch, tomatoes, cucumbers, and croutons. Garnet lazily stirred the Hamburger Helper concoction, then put the cover to the pan on it. 

“Can’t believe that you chose this small of a kitchen,” Garnet snarled. I stopped preparing the salad to glare at him. 

“When we bought it, you said that this kitchen would work for us fine. So that’s on you,” I snapped back. The muscles in my jaw tightened and I could practically feel the anger burning in my eyes. He was really getting on my last nerve. Had been for the last week. 

“Maybe, but there still isn’t enough counter space.” 

“Oh, shut up. You don’t have enough space in your brain to hear the good.” I slid the salad bowl down the counter, towards where we would eat, and put my hands on my hips. 

“Whatever, Kani. Now it appears that I’ve lost my appetite. You can finish cooking for yourself. I’m going over to Todd’s house to watch the game.” Without letting me say another word, Garnet put his coat on and stormed out the door. 

I was left there, standing in the heart of our home, alone. 

--- 

“Pass the potatoes,” Garnet ordered. Even though Garnet said that exactly, it sounded like a whole bunch of grumbling to me. That’s all he did anymore. 

“What?” I glared at him out of the corner of my eye. 

“I said, pass the potatoes!” Garnet cried, angry. He had changed so much in the past weeks. Ever since we’d moved in. Then I realized what it was: moving in changed him. It changed him immediately. And even though it hurt me, I ignored that fact because I loved our house. 

“Here, then,” I growled, sliding the bowl of cheesy potatoes down the table to him. He grabbed it quickly and harshly. A scowl was covering his face, and he did nothing to try to hide it from me. 

“I’m gonna get some milk.” I got up from my chair and began padding into the kitchen before Garnet stopped me. 

“Come again?” 

“I said I’m going to get some milk. You got a problem with that?” I snarled. 

“No. Go on.” Garnet stuffed his face with a forkful of potatoes. 

“Glad I know I have your permission.” 

--- 

“When a person has a problem with the decisions that another person is making, a person should talk to the person instead of complaining about that person to that person’s best friend,” I babbled. Garnet made his eyes slits; the confusion was written across his face. 

“All this person talk is making me dizzy. Talk in a foreign language, why don’t you?” Garnet rhetorically asked. What was this guy talking about?! What I said made perfect sense. If anything, his talking made zero sense. 

“Ah, shut up. Ever since we moved in here, you’ve hated me, hated this house, and not cared about any of it! I’m sick and tired of having to worry about what you’re going to think, about how you’ll react. So, I’m not going to anymore! Lilah doesn’t believe you about all of the stuff you told her--I’m just going to go stay with her. Don’t expect me to be back any time soon,” I fumed. 

“Fine! I don’t care! It’ll be a relief to not have to be heckled about my personal opinions. And I thought when we first started dating, that you would respect my beliefs.” Garnet stormed out of the kitchen and into our bedroom. I jumped as the door slammed. 

--- 

My words were backed up with actions. I took all of my things, packed them away, and moved to my best friend Lilah’s house. I stayed there for a good month. She welcomed me gladly and helped me in my bad moments about Garnet. Lilah understood those times (she had had a divorce just a year ago). After that month, I decided to go back home. God, I wish I didn’t. 

--- 

“Why’d you come back? I thought we were over,” Garnet said. My eyes threw daggers at him as I put my tee shirts in the dresser. He was sitting on the edge of the bed. 

“What the heck?! No! I just need a break, okay? We never decided that we’re ‘over’. So shut your mouth.” I slammed the dresser drawer close and ambled to the closet, hanging up more of my clothes. 

“Well, maybe I did want to decide that. Maybe I’m sick of living with you and your petty attitude, and the fact that you can’t come to terms with the fact that we have different opinions.” Garnet stood up from the bed and I could feel him staring at the back of my head. I spun around and stared at him in the eye. 

“Fine! If you want that, then you can pack up and move out! I’m over you, too! Get out! You never liked this place, anyway!” Tears filled my eyes as I flung my arms out, then let them drop to my sides. 

“Fine! This is what I wanted! I’ve always wanted out! Bye!” Garnet screamed. He stomped out of the bedroom. I listened to his footsteps make the floorboards creeeeeeak under his weight. When the front door slammed, I jumped before collapsing to the floor, sobbing. I don’t know how long I stayed there, just crying. I was alone, and that was going to be true for a long time.

January 15, 2021 16:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

168 comments

That Asian Creep
13:13 Feb 24, 2021

hey nice story... answer to your random question in your bio: yes. I do that a lot-

Reply

20:08 Feb 24, 2021

Hey, Thanks! XD I'm so, so glad I'm not the only one.

Reply

That Asian Creep
19:53 Feb 25, 2021

😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
02:42 Jan 27, 2021

new thread?

Reply

20:12 Jan 27, 2021

Sure! ^^

Reply

B. W.
20:37 Jan 27, 2021

So how are you today?

Reply

21:52 Jan 27, 2021

Good! How are you?

Reply

B. W.
23:57 Jan 27, 2021

Im really bored and tired still :/

Reply

01:24 Jan 29, 2021

:(

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:51 Jan 23, 2021

New thread?

Reply

03:49 Jan 24, 2021

Yerp. :)

Reply

B. W.
04:19 Jan 24, 2021

Do you wanna hear some jokes or something?

Reply

16:07 Jan 24, 2021

Sure! :)

Reply

B. W.
18:30 Jan 24, 2021

knock knock

Reply

18:37 Jan 24, 2021

Who's there?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
01:41 Jan 21, 2021

new thread?

Reply

12:32 Jan 21, 2021

Sure. :D

Reply

B. W.
18:44 Jan 21, 2021

So how are you today?

Reply

20:26 Jan 21, 2021

Good! How are you?

Reply

B. W.
20:59 Jan 21, 2021

Fine but really tired and bored :/

Reply

00:08 Jan 22, 2021

:(

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi Kiwi!

Reply

21:14 Jan 19, 2021

Hi, Pepper! Welcome to the food-name train!

Reply

Hey Pepper is ma bro! What you doin Brother???/?/?/?/?/

Reply

21:21 Jan 19, 2021

Oh, cool! XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
23:20 Jan 17, 2021

🍕

Reply

14:11 Jan 18, 2021

Hey, thanks! :D

Reply

Lilliane Wei
18:03 Jan 18, 2021

;p

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danny -
04:55 Jan 16, 2021

Sad ending, but for some reason garnet sounds like a big baby, the part where he said 'bye' lol, sounds like an angry child. Anywaysss, i love thiss storyyy, you and celeste write sooo well :DD

Reply

14:15 Jan 16, 2021

XD Thank you!

Reply

Danny -
22:57 Jan 16, 2021

Of course :DD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
14:26 Jan 19, 2021

OMG hiiii pineapple poppy!!! Glad to see you've joined the fruit gang!

Reply

Danny -
22:43 Jan 19, 2021

Yessss, maya convinced meee :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Jexica Marcell
19:28 Jan 15, 2021

I neeeeeeeeeeeed more!!!!!! the ending made me sad. I cried at the end..... Once again, you blow my mind Brooke. You too Celeste. -Cass

Reply

20:23 Jan 15, 2021

XD That's what my friend, Cadence (Cj Mayer), said. Wait. You literally cried? Wow. Thank you so much! Hehe, I'll let her know. -Brooke P.S. I like that nickname, Cass.

Reply

Jexica Marcell
20:27 Jan 15, 2021

thanks! just call me Cass if you want, I have no preference, its just easier because (and i hate to admitt this) I sometimes forget how to spell my name XD Yes i did cry, lol. And thanks!

Reply

20:41 Jan 15, 2021

My pleasure! Alright, sounds good. Oh! Hey, it's okay. We've all got that one little flaw. XD Oh geez. I'm like, apologetic and really happy at the same time lol No prob!

Reply

Jexica Marcell
20:44 Jan 15, 2021

lol thanks! and its fine!!!

Reply

20:50 Jan 15, 2021

XD Welcome! Okay! :p

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
ℂ𝕁 𝕄.
16:59 Jan 15, 2021

I need to read moreeeee! Garnet doesn't deserve someone like Kani she seems like a nice person.

Reply

17:37 Jan 15, 2021

LOL Like I said when we texted, you can write a continuation! I agree. (Garnet = Joey)

Reply

ℂ𝕁 𝕄.
17:42 Jan 15, 2021

Yup!

Reply

Show 0 replies
ℂ𝕁 𝕄.
17:42 Jan 15, 2021

Yup!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
00:42 Jan 25, 2021

🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕

Reply

01:18 Jan 25, 2021

Thanks, Amethyst!

Reply

01:55 Jan 25, 2021

np :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
14:54 Jan 22, 2021

Happy Friday! Are you excited for the new prompts? :D

Reply

21:55 Jan 22, 2021

Happy Friday! Yes! I already looked at him, and this week I'll be able to do my Reedsy friend story! :D I'm so happy! And you're Maya Emerson, right???

Reply

Maya -
21:55 Jan 22, 2021

Yay!!! I can't wait! Yeah, that's me. :)

Reply

21:56 Jan 22, 2021

:DDDDDD lol okay

Reply

Maya -
21:57 Jan 22, 2021

:DDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
16:31 Jan 20, 2021

I’m doing a science-fiction themed reedsy-cast story and I would like to put you in it if you want. If you want to be in the story, there are just a few questions that I need you to answer. Questions: Alien’s Name (either your name or it could be different): Alien’s size: Alien’s color (can be any color or combination of colors): Alien’s special features (horns, tail, wings, tentacles, fur, scales, fins, etc.): Any other details about their physical appearance: Personality: Alien’s Planet of Origin (can be real or fictional): Any special ab...

Reply

20:20 Jan 20, 2021

Maya! Oh, my gosh! You don't know how honored I am just that you want me in your story. Thank you so much! Name: Nalynna Fardow Size: Tall, average weight (is that the right answer?) Color: dark gray, almost black Special features: a long, furry tail and large wings Other details: Nalynna can make her tail and wings disappear, she has long, light bluish-greenish hair, and she is athletic Personality: intelligent, generous, strategic, and impatient Plant of Origin: Mercury Special abilities: Telekinesis, skilled with daggers and knives, and c...

Reply

Maya -
20:23 Jan 20, 2021

Okay, thanks so much!!! :) <3

Reply

20:24 Jan 20, 2021

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDD <333333333333333333

Reply

Maya -
20:45 Jan 20, 2021

<33333333333333333333333333333333 XDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I jumped on the fruit name bandwagon!

Reply

20:13 Jan 19, 2021

Wahoo! Sorry, but who are ya? XDDDDDD

Reply

21:50 Jan 19, 2021

XDDD that's what I thought 'cause of the Carolina part, but I wasn't sure lol

Reply

21:52 Jan 19, 2021

;P

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
17:18 Jan 19, 2021

🍕

Reply

20:14 Jan 19, 2021

Hey, thanks!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
21:00 Jan 19, 2021

Np! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
14:27 Jan 19, 2021

🍕

Reply

20:14 Jan 19, 2021

Thanks! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
03:20 Jan 19, 2021

I changed my name and profile pic lol. :D -Maya

Reply

20:16 Jan 19, 2021

lol Yay! Everyone is hopping on the fruit name trend! :DDDDDDDDD -Brooke

Reply

Maya -
20:17 Jan 19, 2021

Yayyyyy!!! There are so many fruit names!!! :D

Reply

20:17 Jan 19, 2021

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Maya -
20:20 Jan 19, 2021

My brother changed his to Tangerine Tommy Lol :D

Reply

20:20 Jan 19, 2021

Awesome!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
01:45 Jan 19, 2021

Hellooooooo Can I steal your idea of a fruit name? *hopeful face*

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
14:26 Jan 19, 2021

please do... i'm jennie but now cherry camille lol. Celeste is banana bellatrix and Maya is lemon louise!!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
15:09 Jan 19, 2021

Ooh okie!!!!!!!!!! Hmmmmmm Imma become Pineapple Poppy :3

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
15:13 Jan 19, 2021

ahhhh there's already pineapple poppy. plus I'm leaving for a lil while because Proveme Wrong said some pretty hurtful things and I'm kinda over all this karma stuff.

Reply

Kate Reynolds
15:18 Jan 19, 2021

Oh there is?? QwQ Try not to focus on something that someone said, though! But thanks for letting me know

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
15:22 Jan 19, 2021

jk... im not leaving heheeehh yay I left for about 2 hours and that was refreshing! I'm backkkkkk

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi Kiwi! (Im Celeste UWU)

Reply

20:20 Jan 19, 2021

Hi, Banana! :DDDDDDDDDDDd

Reply

Hehe- Check my biooooooo

Reply

20:29 Jan 19, 2021

okeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:31 Jan 19, 2021

It's wonderful!!!!!!!!!!! i kinda wanna do the same but i like mine..... hm....

Reply

21:14 Jan 19, 2021

I think I'll just save this one on a doc so once we're done with the food names I can change it back. :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:03 Jan 18, 2021

🍕 P. S. Love your new bio! And thanks for saying it’s based off my format lol. Also, I must say: NEVER TAKE THE PIZZA NOTE DOWN!!! I’m constantly having people comment ‘🍌’ with no context on my stories and it’s the most fun thing ever, lol. So yea, enjoy getting peppered with pizzas :D

Reply

23:50 Jan 18, 2021

Yay! Thank you so much! My pleasure. :D OKAY I WON'T ;DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
18:07 Jan 16, 2021

Reedsy story 8dea? S Sherlock Holmes style 😎 👌

Reply

18:55 Jan 16, 2021

Ooh, that's a good idea. Thanks! :D

Reply

Sia S
04:35 Jan 17, 2021

;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.