56 comments

Inspirational Speculative Fantasy

A small black box emerged on an Ipad the Oracle had positioned on her lap. She sucked her teeth anxiously, worried over the man on the other side of the screen, or the everchanging future, or both. Of course, she could put bits and pieces together of what would happen, but she still felt nervous. That was the strangeness of being an Oracle; she still felt surprised, still felt emotion. It was one of the tethers she had to the human world.


“I plotted many evils and poisoned many minds, All-Knowing Seer.”


The Oracle had many names, but Kade only used her first one.


“I know.”


“Do you know of the evil plots I have concocted? Surely, some have been a surprise, the demise of the human race being upon us and all—”


“I know.”


“Drat, of course, you know. Isn’t it boring to know the future, already know all the choices you’ll make and the fate that will come over each individual? Being utter chaos is a better way to live life than worrying over everyone else’s lives.”


Chaos was a ridiculous name for a tangled mess. Kade was the master of chaos and pulled its reigns, but if you undid the knots he was only human. Nothing and nobody followed natural order except the Oracle, but that was her burden to bear.


“You’re not going to respond to me? Fine. I’m going to tell you my plots to wreak chaos and darken souls anyway.” Kade’s gaunt expression flickered into somewhat of a smile, but his tousled hair kept on getting in the way of his eyes.


“I don’t think it’s appropriate to share evil ploys over a zoom call.”


He paused as if thinking over the Oracle’s words, though he knew that she knew what he would do in the end. “Then why did you call me? I would’ve met in person, but there’s a virus going on. You should know that. How old are you really? You must’ve been around to see the Black Plague I created.”


The Oracle didn’t realize she was gripping the edge of her chair.


“I called to help you understand.”


“Chaos can’t be understood, and it can only be spread. One day, I will overcome you, and you know it. It’s a matter not of what, but when, dear sister. Until then, let me remind you: you may be able to read the stories people have written for themselves, but you can’t choose how they end.”


*


Sometimes, she liked to wander along broken alleyways and sit under the shade of lit lamposts. The lampost differed every time, but each one was lit, and that was all that mattered. Sometimes, there were tiny stickers under the right ones, and wads of gum under the benches beneath them. The Oracle didn’t know why the benches were directly beside the lamposts, but she liked to imagine they were placed there for someone to see the light every once in a while.


The Oracle took out a large sack and began to ruffle through it, remembering the man who’d visited her the other day. Inside the sack were a fortune cookie and a mirror. She wouldn’t open the cookie—not yet. Instead, she took the mirror out and stared into another woman’s penciled-in features, ones that outlined her graying hair pulled back into a bun and the many shawls she wore around her neck. The woman she never got to be.


When would she realize…ah, but she did know when, and she didn’t want to think about it. The Oracle was tired of thinking about the future and still found herself thinking about it all the time.


Rocking side-to-side on the bench, the Oracle stared out into the nighttime sky brightened with city lights and the occasional star. The dampened grass beneath her feet comforted her, and once the lampost flickered on, she felt as if someone had dropped a little bit of sunshine on her shoulders.


“Tell me about the stars. Can something like that really exist?”


The Oracle snapped out of her trance to see a young girl, maybe ten years old, with features so pale it looked as if she were a ghost. In reality, the Oracle never lived a present life, always ten minutes or three years ahead. Her story would always be completed before she could think to understand it, but the girl was different. She hadn’t sensed the girl coming.


“It’s dark out, child. You shouldn’t be out here.”


The girl didn’t seem fazed. Instead, she crept out into the silvery moonlight and stared up at the sky.


“Well, then when will I be ready to be out here? When I’m older? Everyone tells me I’ll understand when I’m older, but I think I’ll understand now.”


Those words reminded the Oracle of Kade, and how she could never understand him because as the girl twirled around under the moon, she realized that the girl couldn’t be understood. There were only endless possibilities.


“Do you just sit here all night, listening to the stars tell stories, or are you waiting for someone? Can all the beauty up there really exist? I’m only asking you because mamma says older people have great knowledge.”


The Oracle had, indeed, lots of knowledge, but none the girl would want to hear. She considered asking about the girl’s parents, but the girl scooted next to her on the bench, swiping the fortune cookie and popping it into her mouth whole. Silently, the Oracle looked up at the lampost and then back down to the girl who was patiently waiting for answers. For once, the Oracle quieted her thoughts of the future and spoke.


“Yes, I think the stars are pretty. I rather like to believe in all the pretty things.”


“What’s your name? I can’t tell you mine because, you know, stranger danger, but I still think you’re nice.”


Despite all the doubts the Oracle had about the sudden appearance of the girl, she smiled, feeling each wrinkle in her cheek stretch. Suddenly, she felt the urge to stay and talk to this cheery, pigtailed girl who seemed to have no care in the world.


“You can call me the Oracle.”


The girl nodded her head. “Yeah, I know you. You’re the one with the crazy cat who wakes me up every morning! I live on the apartments up top! Don’t you explain people’s futures?”


The Oracle was sure of the innocence of this girl, this crazy, wild, beautiful girl until she scooted closer to the Oracle and whispered into her ear.


“But strangers can do bad things, so you have to promise not to tell anyone.”


The girl’s serious voice spoke the stories she had encountered, the things she had seen. For the first time, the Oracle had put someone in a box and judged incorrectly. For the first time, she hugged someone like she meant it, and it felt good.


*


“So, why are you waiting out here alone? Nobody should be alone, Oracle.”


“Well, aren’t you out here alone?”


“No, I have the stars, I have a good mamma, and I have you. My favorite star is the one I visit every day named Betty Jean. She’s my best friend.”


The two of them were still entwined together, the girl’s head pressed against the Oracle’s shawls. She tilted her head sideways, looking up at the Oracle as if she was seeing through her.


“Why are you waiting for the present to catch up to the future? You know, even All-Seeing Oracles need to live in the present moment, because the present will never catch up with the future, and then you won’t live your life.”


The Oracle sighed, remembering all the tangles she had to worm out of in the future life she lived. Stroking the girl’s hair gently, she looked at the night’s dark cape over the sky again.


“I can’t live in the present. Oracles always see the future, live the future, and try to cleanse the future before it actually happens. It’s my curse.”


“But weren’t you just living in the present right now? When is a funny word. It’s like an Oracle word since a when happens in the future but is wished for in the present. Trust me, there are a lot of solutions to the world right in front of you. You just need to look in the right places.”


Then, as the Oracle was reeling in this new revelation, the girl winked and skipped off the bench all-smiles, though a hint of sadness still lingered in her sea-blue eyes. “I knew I could trust you.”


And then, she was gone, leaving the Oracle with only her thoughts and a flickering lampost. Maybe they really did lead you to the right people.


*


The Oracle chose a bench without a lampost this time, in the wide expanse of park grasses, surrounded by other benches. All she focused on was the sunrise, the beautiful yellowing-orange of the sunset. She kind of didn’t want this moment to end.


“Hey! Look who’s out and about! But still, we have to social distance. I’m not getting sick because of you, especially on the day I’m supposed to tell you my chaotic plans.”


And there he was— the person who pulled chaos’s reins.


“Hello, Kade. Why don’t you join me to watch this beautiful sunrise.”


Kade whirled back to see the sun glinting back at him.


“Yeah, sure, but don’t you see these kinds of things all the time? I know you said something about knowing all my plans, but I’d still love to annoy you with them. I can tell you’re very worried about me, waiting for the day when my powers will overcome yours and the whole world will be plunged into chaos.”


The Oracle scooted to the other side of the bench, watching the sky turn a pinkish blue. It was watching an oil painting come together. Each solution to the sky came at its own time, at its own present.


“I’m not worried about you Kade. That day isn’t here yet, so I’m focusing on the present.”


Kade met the Oracle’s eyes, his face in absolute bewilderment.


“But, you’re an Oracle! It’s your job to look into the future! You can’t live in the present! It’s impossible, outrageous, a catastrophe! It’s like you’re doing my job for me!”


He ranted on and on as the Oracle dug something out of her canvas bag. An umbrella.


“Kade, if I were you, I’d get inside. It’s about to rain.”


And as she opened her umbrella, Kade instantly got drenched with the downpour of rain. The beautiful sunrise had given way to a soothing sort of rain, and the Oracle almost felt like dancing in it.


“That’s cheating! You must’ve looked into the future to see me like this, didn’t you!” Kade angrily fumed, soaked, and chilled to the bone.


“No, I just checked the weather app on my phone, Lord of Chaos.” 

April 16, 2021 13:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

56 comments

Since you're obsessed with the yellow dot and so am I, HI!

Reply

12:12 Apr 20, 2021

Hi, how are you? :) We're all obsessed with that yellow dot, am I right?

Reply

Haha! Yeah, just got downvoted but yeah... YOu did too? Anyway's, I'm GOOD!!!! hbu?

Reply

14:51 Apr 21, 2021

Oh, sorry about the downvoting drama. Eh, I don't really care about it anymore. I'm doing well.

Reply

It's honestly fine, I'm not so worried about it either but other people are so, I just want to be empathetic! Great!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jay Luuu
02:57 Apr 23, 2021

What actually is the yellow dot? I wanna be obsessed too Hahaha

Reply

the dot near the notification bell! It means you received a comment, a like, or a follower!

Reply

Jay Luuu
06:55 Apr 23, 2021

OHH! Makes sense now. OK consider me officially obsessed HAHA

Reply

Lol! I'd love to!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Frances Reine
15:19 Apr 19, 2021

I'm so late but I read it and it's better than the first part, which was fantastic in the first place :) This is beautiful: "The Oracle scooted to the other side of the bench, watching the sky turn a pinkish blue. It was watching an oil painting come together. Each solution to the sky came at its own time, at its own present." Modern - fantasy is so much more magical, haha. And like most people, loved the zoom call. Ending is priceless, oh my gosh XD This is wonderful!

Reply

12:07 Apr 20, 2021

Hi Frances! How are you? And thank you so much!! XD I'm glad you liked it. I thought about just making this about the Oracle, but then somehow I got this idea of chaos being a character....I wonder how.....especially since my reedsy username is... Anyways, thank you for reading! Your comments always make my day :)

Reply

Frances Reine
12:09 Apr 21, 2021

I'm doing great--thanks so much. I really did enjoy it so much and I'm glad there was a sequel :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Claudia Morgan
17:28 Apr 18, 2021

Really nice story! It was engaging and original. Loved it! I have one grammar issue, which is “Chaos can’t be understood, and it can only get spread." "Get spread" would sound better as "Be spread". But other than that, well done!

Reply

22:44 Apr 18, 2021

Fixed it! Thank you so much for the feedback; I really appreciate it! ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cole Lane
00:49 Apr 18, 2021

Ha! Technology bested the Lord of Chaos!!

Reply

00:50 Apr 18, 2021

Yep! He's going to be angry about that for the next couple of centuries...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Riya 🌺
22:59 Apr 16, 2021

I love how this story is in the present but has fantasy in it. My favorite part of this story is the last line because she just uses modern technology instead of her curse, I feel like it adds some humor to it. Kind of like she's mocking Kade. Kade is a nice name btw.

Reply

12:57 Apr 17, 2021

Thank you so much Vrasti! It actually took me twenty minutes to finalize Kade's name, but at least you like it ;) I'm glad you liked the last line; I had those lines written out before I started writing the story😂

Reply

Riya 🌺
06:40 Apr 18, 2021

Yeah, Kade is just so full of wonder. 🙃The last line was amazing🤩

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michael Boquet
17:41 Apr 16, 2021

This is such an intriguing story! I really liked the Zoom call at the beginning. Great way to establish Oracle and Kade as characters without spelling too much out to the reader. I love the juxtaposition between this conversation and the ones Oracle has with the little girl. I also love the contrast between the innocence of the girl and the chaos of Kade. I chuckled aloud at the cute and hilarious ending. Couple of sentences I found confusing (not sure if they're typos per se but wanted to point them out): "Rocking side-by-side on the ben...

Reply

12:54 Apr 17, 2021

Thank you so much for the comment, Michael! I'm so glad you liked this...it was kind of random, but I wanted to write about the Oracle again because the prompt "forced" me to. 😉 I don't know why, but it took me a full twenty minutes to decide on Kade's name. I'll fix those things right now while I can still edit :) Thanks again!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sam Ackman
13:23 Apr 24, 2021

This is a great story! Love the magic aspects and curious parts. The characters are well written and it was easy to read. Such an interesting perspective to write and thoughts of living in the present is something we all could do more. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Patrick H
19:01 Apr 21, 2021

"I just checked the weather app on my phone, Lord of Choas." Way to shade!

Reply

14:26 Apr 22, 2021

Haha, thanks :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aurora Spencer
16:22 Apr 21, 2021

I enjoyed the way you spun this story. It's really wonderful and my favorite lines would be: “I don’t think it’s appropriate to share evil ploys over a zoom call.” “No, I just checked the weather app on my phone, Lord of Chaos.” Of course, that doesn't include the description. I love the imagery you've used here; it paints a vivid picture in the reader's mind and that's always a plus point in stories. My favorite lines of imagery: 'The Oracle chose a bench without a lampost this time, in the wide expanse of park grasses, surrounded by othe...

Reply

14:27 Apr 22, 2021

Thank you so much, Aurora! I'm so glad you enjoyed reading this

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:42 Apr 21, 2021

heylooo

Reply

12:04 Apr 21, 2021

Hi! Oh, and I wanted to leave this: ☁️ :P

Reply

18:22 Apr 21, 2021

Hi! Aw thanks hehe :P

Reply

14:33 Apr 23, 2021

New story out!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nyx :)
23:11 Apr 20, 2021

I loved the story! also i love your pro pic. are by any chance a witch? bc if so, so am i.

Reply

23:20 Apr 20, 2021

Thank you so much! It took me a while to finalize my pfp, but at least I like it now :D I'm more of a sorceress, but we magic folk need to stick together🌻

Reply

Nyx :)
23:30 Apr 20, 2021

Your the first other magical folk i have met on hear! #magic Also thx for following me! (even tho i have no story's even posted)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nyx :)
23:30 Apr 20, 2021

Your the first other magical folk i have met on hear! #magic Also thx for following me! (even tho i have no story's even posted)

Reply

14:52 Apr 21, 2021

Yay! #magic. I see you've posted a new story! I'll check it out later today :)

Reply

Nyx :)
14:55 Apr 21, 2021

Thank you! Its the first story I posted, also feel free to tear it apart :)

Reply

14:54 Apr 23, 2021

I will! Oh, and I also have a new story posted!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Amara Tillington
22:49 Apr 20, 2021

Evil schemes between super-powerful magic evil guys on zoom? HAHAHAHHA. Great!

Reply

23:21 Apr 20, 2021

Yes!! I'm glad you enjoyed reading this... Zoom has now started marketing to inter-dimensional beings😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:42 Apr 19, 2021

Now this was just lovely! This story was naturally intriguing. Everything was put in place nicely. I love the humor too! The ending was especially my favorite and the part with the zoom call! I loved this story, it didn't feel like a fantasy it felt like a story tell. Like someone was reading this to me! It was so soft almost like a lullaby! Honestly so good!! I loved it!

Reply

12:12 Apr 20, 2021

Aw, thanks Ugochi! . I'm so glad you liked this!

Reply

15:30 Apr 20, 2021

Of course!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
17:20 Apr 19, 2021

. My favorite star is the one, for me that is the best sentence of the story,foremost and pre-eminent

Reply

12:12 Apr 20, 2021

Thank you!!

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
23:46 Apr 22, 2021

Kindly read my story I need to talk to a fairy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rachel Loughran
16:39 Apr 19, 2021

Wow, what a fantastic and beautifully written story! There were a lot of lines I liked but for some reason this one really stood out to me: "In reality, the Oracle never lived a present life, always ten minutes or three years ahead. Her story would always be completed before she could think to understand it." It struck me (as someone who lives in my own head/anxieties a lot) as a very relatable thought, though obviously for most of us it's metaphorical instead of literal! But isn't that exactly what the best fantasies are supposed to do? ...

Reply

12:10 Apr 20, 2021

Thank you so much for the comment, Rachel! I'm so glad you liked this humble piece of thought stashed in the back of my brain that actually made it to paper😝. I also live in my own anxieties a lot, so some of the Oracle's character came from that. Hopefully, I'll get better at living in the present.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
21:54 Apr 17, 2021

I love the story and the last line was amazing. Well done Could you please read my story. I hope that we could be friends. ~Palak Shah

Reply

00:51 Apr 18, 2021

Thank you so much, Palak! We can definitely be friends😁 I'll check out your story soon! Looking forward to reading it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:47 Apr 17, 2021

Ha, love this! Urban fantasy is always fun and idk, the last line of this story was especially ✨LoVeLy✨. Great job!

Reply

00:52 Apr 18, 2021

Thank you so much!!! I love urban fantasy as well (and love writing it even more) I had that last line pinned into my mind before I even wrote the story itself! It just had to happen! 😋

Reply

21:44 Apr 18, 2021

Yeshhh! Yaass, I often do that :P

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Writer Maniac
15:00 Apr 16, 2021

Woah, this was a beautifully woven story. I loved how she understood the intricacies of life through that little girl, and Kade was a really fun character too. Very well done!

Reply

12:56 Apr 17, 2021

Thank you so much, Mania! I tried not to make this story too depressing, so I added some chaos: Kade.

Reply

Writer Maniac
14:54 Apr 17, 2021

A very good decision, I love chaotic characters like him :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.