33 comments

Science Fiction Romance Funny

Warning: Censored curse words, mentions of alcohol.

Note: This is part 3 of a series. If you have not read the previous parts (“I Discover that Someone’s Going to Die” and “I, Kamara, Discover that I’m About to Die”), please look at my comment in the comments section for more information.

This story is for anyone who laughed while reading this series.

~*~*~

BRANDON

The sun shined inside my car in bright rays. I could almost imagine that with the rising sun, the day could begin anew, and my problems would vanish along with the darkness of the night.

But just like the day, the night always came back.

I kept my hands on the wheel, trying to clear my head. I breathed in and out, trying to forget the situation I was stuck in.

I was not chasing a guy —Osmond— in a car with an irritating, self-aware app.

I was not dealing with two young adults who had strange powers, like breaking coins or throwing knives at doormen’s ears.

My ex-girlfriend —who I did not still love— was not about to get murdered.

I was not

Crunch. Chomp. Gobble. Slurp. Munch. Snarf. 

Crunch. Chomp. Gobble. Slurp. Munch. Snarf. 

Crunch. Chomp. Gobble. S—

“CAN YOU CUT THAT SH*T OUT?” I yelled at my phone. It —he— was making the most obnoxious sounds as he pretended to eat the McDonald’s Happy Meal in front of him. The Happy Meal had been sitting next to my phone for thirty minutes, and it hadn’t moved one bit. Even the squirt of ketchup —which looked like a kneeling Elmo— remained perfectly still.

“Can you cut that shrill-schist-ship out?” my self-aware app Jeedo said in an accurate imitation of my voice. He even nailed the voice crack. “I’m trying to eat here, Geonu!”

I closed my eyes and sighed, trying to keep my voice even. “Apps. Can’t. Eat.”

“But you still got me burgers,” Jeedo said, making a sound like he was snorting his chocolate milk through his nose. “Why’d you get me a Happy Meal if you so strongly believe that I can’t eat? Millions of kids in the world suffer from hunger and no-Jeedo-deprivation. So you’re just going to waste food?”

I was about to shoot back a withering retort when a bright green car with black stripes and white polka dots zoomed out of the highway.

I glanced at Jeedo, who had quietly resumed his eating noises. “Should I follow him?”

“I guess.” Jeedo stopped mid-slurp. “But just saying: Osmond and Marcella are moo-su-wuo and wee-yum-hey. They have ee-sang-han heem. They’re also nu-ye dong-seng-dul; they want bok-su.”

“Huh?” I asked, staring at him as if he’d started speaking Japanese. Or, rather, Korean. Those words seemed familiar, but I couldn’t put my finger on them.

“Oh.” My phone shuddered, and an angry blast echoed through it. “Stupid Trans and her Korean hacking! I thought we were on good terms, phonedangit! Well, you can throw any chance of that date in that Instagram photo!”

My mind reeled, imagining the Translator app icon and the SmartMap app icon, holding hands on a filtered beach. I tried to push that image out of my brain as I drove toward the nearest highway exit, keeping an eye on the bright green car.

I started saying, “What the—”

“Hey, did you notice that billboard for that hot insurance company? The model looks weird, though. I wonder…”

I could barely hear the rest of what Jeedo was saying. The green car had stopped outside an inn, and I saw a thin figure with blond hair shuffle inside the inn. Kamara could be in there. I had to save her.

I had to save her. I had to rescue her.

‘Why?’ a part of me taunted. ‘So you two could get back together? You’re acting as if you could save her, and she’ll waltz back into your arms like nothing ever happened. Well, surprise, b*tch! Broken hearts and anger don’t disappear like magic.’

That part of me was right. What could I do to get my Kamara back? Even if I was a little high at the time, my actions were unforgivable. I began to despair; I wanted to let Kamara know that I still loved her, but I didn’t know if she would even trust me.

“I’m going to delete myself, Geonu!” Jeedo said, but he sounded like he was on the other side of the planet. I could barely register his words. “Your parents are sitting in the backseat behind you! Eh, that’s a little unbelievable. 

“Come on…I have to get your attention somehow…You’re sitting in a pool of kimchi! Gah, that one’s just stupid. How could he be sitting in a pool if he’s in the car? Um, a meteorite is coming down on earth and will destroy the planet? Uh, um, I can see Kamara’s dead body!”

“What?!” I screamed. Panic raced through my body. She couldn’t be dead. “Where? How? I—”

“Kidding!” Jeedo shouted. I heard a smile in his voice. “You looked a little zoned out, so I had to do something.”

“If you were a human,” I said slowly. “You would be dead.”

“Nonsense! I’m the best app you’ll ever meet.”

“You’re also the only app I’ve ever met.”

“Tomato, tomato.”

*~*~*

KAMARA

‘It’s getting late,’ I thought, trying to shake the ear-shattering songs out of my head. ‘I should find Brandon and get out—’

I froze in my tracks.

Inside a room, barely shielded by the door,  was Brandon’s body, pressed against a girl’s as their lips touched. The girl — ’Trina Rodríguez,’ I remembered from earlier in the party— giggled softly as Brandon’s hands traveled down her back. 

I’ve read countless amounts of romance novels throughout my life. I remembered reading the pages and pages describing how the main character’s heart “broke,” or got “crushed,” or even “cracked into a million pieces” when they saw their significant other with another person. I never understood how that felt. How was that even possible?

But now, I understood. My heart seemed to shatter into tiny fragments, each containing the once treasured memories of us together. Our first kiss, which was outside as thunder rumbled and rain poured. The time Brandon laughed because I had accidentally said I love you to him in Polish. The picnic Brandon had set up for my twenty-second birthday; the candlelit dinner I set up for his. They all spiraled out into a dark void.

“We’re so going to get in trouble for this,” Brandon murmured, his words slurred. “My girlfriend doesn’t know that I love you.”

“You love me?” Trina mumbled deliriously as her fingers curled Brandon’s black hair. “But… I thought you loved Kamara.”

I thought so, too.

Brandon’s face contorted in anger. “Why can’t I love two people?”

“Okay, okay.” Uncertainty flickered in Trina’s eyes. I could imagine that she didn’t want a tall drunk guy getting mad at her. But a smile quickly returned. “Well, I love you, too.”

“Same here.” Brandon leaned in for another kiss. Trina tried to wrap her arms around him, but they slipped and fell to her side. She tripped, but Brandon caught her, his eyes filled with so much love that I could believe it was real.

I couldn’t look any longer.

Tears spilled from my eyes as I ran down the hallway. I didn’t stop my sprint until I burst out of the house. I glanced back one last time at a window on the second floor, where two silhouettes were lying on top of each other on a bed.

One of my first memories of Brandon was when he had cheated on a math test because he hadn’t studied. His teacher had assigned me as his math tutor, which was how we started to be friends.

Now, one of the surely last memories I would ever have of Brandon would be of him with another girl.

‘Once a cheater, always a cheater,’ I thought bitterly, walking back to my dorm.

*~*~*

BANG!

I woke up with tears in my eyes and the thought of Brandon. My body slammed against a block of metal, making my vision cloudy. I groaned as I slowly opened my eyes, my head throbbing. Ropes bound me close to a large slab of iron from head to toe.

“Welcome back!” a cheerful voice said.

Marcella Kang’s smiling face stared down at me, her blonde hair spilling across her shoulders.

I tried to ask, ‘Where am I? Why did you attack me? What am I doing here?’ but all that came out was: “We why at what here?”

“Still a little delirious, aren’t you?” Marcella asked. “My boot heels are one of my deadliest weapons. I’m surprised that it didn’t kill you.”

I choked out, “I could’ve died from being stepped on?”

It felt idiotic to ask such a thing in this situation, but I couldn’t help it.

“Yes, you could’ve.” Marcella pulled out a knife from her pocket. I flinched, expecting her to kill me, but she just twirled it around her fingers. “Many things are possible with me.”

“Wh—where am I?” I struggled against my bonds; they didn’t budge. I needed to escape somehow.

“You’re on earth,” Marcella said in a helpful tone. She laughed as she noticed the flash of annoyance on my face. She almost seemed like a child.

Where on earth?” I asked.

“Oh, somewhere where your friends can’t find you.” She threw her knife, and it landed just above my head. I almost rolled my eyes; it was like Marcella was in a freaking movie, and she did everything for dramatic effect. “You’ll stay put until I kill you in front of Brandon.”

‘At least try to keep her talking,’ I thought. ‘Maybe get some information.’

“Why do you want to do that, anyway?” I tried to sound friendly, but it was hard with the rope around my body.

“Psh.” Marcella laughed. “We’re siblings! Siblings like revenge.”

“But do siblings normally like killing their sibling’s ex-girlfriend in front of that sibling for revenge?”

“Hm, good point.” Marcella scratched her head. “But we’re not like other siblings. It’s because of my powers.”

“How is that?” 

Marcella smiled sweetly. “You’re trying to get me to tell you some information, aren’t you? Well, it isn’t going to work, I’m afraid. I’ve killed people before” —She said it so casually, like how typical people her age —around seventeen— would say, ‘I’ve gone to high school before.’— “and they’ve tried every single trick in the book to do at least something, like gaining information. No one has ever gotten such information, so you certainly won’t.”

Oh, was that a challenge? The old competitive part of me from my years of playing basketball seemed to spark.

But besides that, I started to notice the little things about Marcella. The way her eyes held a timid look that didn’t match her words. The way she bit her lip to stop herself from talking any further. She had bitten her nails down to the beds. Maybe I could use those things. She seemed more human and not so villainous.

“Why wouldn’t you tell me? It’s just a quick explanation about why you and Brandon aren’t like other siblings. Besides, as you said, I’m going to die soon.”

“Nice try.” Marcella frowned. “Although, you do make a good point.”

She paused for a moment.

“Fine. Grab some popcorn and soda—” she stopped, remembering that I was bound to an iron block.

“I would love to!” I said brightly. “Maybe if you could untie me . . .”

“Not a chance,” Marcella said. “Just remember” —she grabbed an arsenal of weapons from her pockets. Knives, guns, pills, grenades, metal disks, and others I couldn’t name— “I can kill you in a second. Just because I’m telling you a story doesn’t mean you’re off the hook. I’m just bored.”

Well, at least this would stall time. For someone, anyone to find me, even if it was unlikely.

“Got it,” I said, gazing at the inky black sky. It was the perfect time for a story, I supposed.

Marcella sat down on the floor next to me. “Let me tell you a little story.”

May 08, 2021 02:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

33 comments

02:45 May 08, 2021

Positive feedback and honest critiques are appreciated! Please tell me if you would like me to read your latest story(s). I’m a little behind. If you haven’t read the previous installments to this series, here are the links to them. I Discover that Someone’s Going to Die: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/82/submissions/56619/ I, Kamara, Discover that I’m About to Die: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/87/submissions/61098/ If you don’t want to read those, here’s a quick summary: Brandon Kang w...

Reply

Show 0 replies

I love the names. I love the idea. I love the emotion. You know what I don’t freaking like? THE CLIFFHANGER. EXCUSE ME SIS YOU HAD NO RIGHT TO DO THAT. But Marcella-being-crazy-and-WITH-KAMARA aside, I really enjoyed this! :DD The humor is the beginning is awesome and Jeedo is just...one of a kind. Awesome job!

Reply

14:32 May 12, 2021

Haha, cliffhangers are one of my favorite things to write; they're right up there with flashbacks and death scenes. Thank you for the feedback!

Reply

No problem!

Reply

14:40 May 12, 2021

How are you doing?

Reply

Good! Currently in my free block at school. Wbu?

Reply

03:39 May 13, 2021

I’m good! I’ve been working on a story for a while now. I’ve got to admit I’ve changed the plot and characters of the story three times, lol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
03:45 May 08, 2021

I have a lot of things to say about this. First, that really funny beginning, and the thing that actually got me was 'kneeling elmo'. I'm laughing slightly thinking about it. Second, I love how “Tomato, tomato.” was written in no special way yet I'm sure EVERYONE knew how to pronounce it. Also- I didn't notice grammar errors in this one! You're improving, which is awesome sauce :D Finally, I don't really have a critique, except I can't wait for the next installment! No pressure, take your time! You have a knack for comedy, and I can't believ...

Reply

12:46 May 08, 2021

Thank you so much! This means a lot, coming from you.

Reply

Amany Sayed
21:58 May 08, 2021

I'm just an amateur like you :)

Reply

21:30 May 09, 2021

That might be true, but you're a great writer, and I love your work :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:33 May 08, 2021

That cliffhanger ending- >:O jk lol Your romance writing is really good :) Jeedo sounds a bIt annoying. Just a bit XD Bravo (cado) 🥑🥑🥑!!! ~ Amethyst

Reply

18:01 May 09, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

19:13 May 09, 2021

Np! :) How was your Mother's Day?

Reply

19:35 May 09, 2021

It was good. I was quite busy yesterday and today (outdoor church ceremony, shopping, etc.), though.

Reply

19:41 May 09, 2021

oh okay, that's noice :)) I made cinnamon rolls so yAhOo *grunts because there is no cinnamon bun emoji XD*

Reply

21:28 May 09, 2021

Lol, there's not even a cinnamon stick emoji!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
11:14 May 08, 2021

nuuuuuuu right as it was getting good- The Sibling Rivalry to end all Fictional Sibling Rivalries lol I'm loving this series so far btw and the titles so just so good

Reply

12:46 May 08, 2021

Lol, thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arwen Dove
06:22 May 08, 2021

This is amazing!!

Reply

12:47 May 08, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zoey Hailey
19:10 May 23, 2021

MISS GIRL NOOO IT IS NOT OK TO LEAVE ME HANGING LIKE THIS!!!! I. NEED. MORE.😤😭😭 This part was so so funny and intense, and I loved every character (even Marcella, XD). They all have so much personality and sense of humor! I actually cackled at the “kneeling Elmo”. Just make sure to set Jeedo up with a hot app in part 4. Keep it up, girl! I am fangirling over this series

Reply

11:07 May 24, 2021

Haha, you'll see! Thank you for your feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
20:51 May 22, 2021

ooh the end tho! I feel like chapter should end that way what a weird feeling lol. The details dude, the details XD. Thanks for painting brilliant picture in my mind lol. knbvcfghjhgfghjmnbvcfghjkjnbvfghjmnbvghnbvgnbg kjhgfghjbvghjn the titles are so creative in this series :) super great job, a fun read like usual ;) L.W.

Reply

22:54 May 22, 2021

Haha, thank you so much for your feedback!

Reply

TJ Squared
00:52 May 23, 2021

you're very welcome :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.