116 comments

Science Fiction

"Ms. Williams. The rest of the board has already voted. What is your decision?" The resonant voice of Head Ruler Avery echoed through the halls. Felicity Williams, a new member of the board, sat there in indecision. The majority vote was tempting, as it would grant her more respect among the Council of Rulers, but she couldn't. It wasn't right.


Her mind kept spiraling, around and around in circles. Felicity couldn't breathe. Could she condemn billions of children to a life of mind control? The decision in question, which had been so blandly illustrated by Head Ruler Avery, was a power grab. The Rulers in favor were only trying to enforce their will upon the adults of tomorrow. The decision in question was whether the Board should alter the newest batch of children. Make them obedient. Mindless.


Felicity's own child, Mira, was fluttering in and out of her mind like a butterfly. Would she have been able to do this to Mira? Never! Felicity would never have put her child through this. She wanted Mira to know who she was, and to feel as a normal person would. Still, Felicity knew that there were things she didn't want Mira to feel. Like pain. Fear. Loneliness. The alter would change that.


"It's vulgar and cruel! No one should take away another's free will!" She thought to herself, now fully understanding her opposition. Still, there was appeal in the idea of infinite peace. Which was more valuable?


How had she gotten here? Felicity wasn't always planning on making decisions that could affect the entire world. She'd wanted to be an author.


"The... Girl... pressed... on through... the woods..." Felicity punched out word after word, bleeding her heart and soul into the novel. The deadline was in two days. If she didn't finish it, her dream career was over.


"Hey, sweetie!" Celeste, her mother, called down. "You ready for dinner?" Celeste was always worrying about her daughter. She always thought that Felicity would break if she tried any harder.


"Ugh. I can't. I'm done." Felicity slumped down in her chair. She didn't deserve this. It was too hard to achieve your dream in the world of Rulers.


Even her mom could see her resolve shifting, changing, turning to another goal. Felicity was going to change the world for the better. No matter what.


At the present, she had made it. Felicity had achieved her goal. It was at a much larger cost, though. She had accepted the truth that the rulers of their world were corrupt and immoral. They only cared about power, not people. She was the only one who had worked to get there, and she was the only one who cared about the help they could give.


Why, then, could she not make a decision? Why could she not dissent, knowing that she didn't approve? All it would take was a simple phrase: "Nay." In the halls of the Council, where so few had sat before, where the mahogany seats shone with malevolence, all you needed was a word. Felicity was not willing to say that word, though.


Maybe Felicity knew, in her heart of hearts that she didn't want to say no. Simply being in the seat of power made her wish for more. She couldn't go back. Felicity couldn't stop her selfishness, couldn't change paths, not anymore.


"Since Ruler Williams has neglected to answer, we will count her out. Thus, the majority prevails, and we will pass the motion." Felicity couldn't breathe. What would happen to Mira?

_____________________________________________

MIRA POV


"Hello, Maternal." I thanked my mother with a hand on my heart to symbolize gratitude. My school was today. Joy. I was to read the Manifesto again. Joy.


"Happy day to you, Mira." Maternal spoke in the same nasal tone as everyone else. She seemed frazzled.


I walked down the road, noting the waves of everyone around me so that I could repay them later. My Maternal was a Ruler, so everyone treated me kindly. They surely did not mean to brownnose, only to show their thanks for her contributions to our world. Though I was not born with the genetic alterations, I had to think like everyone else so I could fit in. I didn't want to be a rebelcriminal.


The children in front of me filed into the Taggart Transcontinental Comet train as if on a string. I had had to sit through this monotony for four years, and I wasn't going to continue it. My plan had come into motion about two years ago, when I had gotten fed up. I had very nearly exploded at a robotic (That was what I called them).


I had to get out of there. It was killing me, having to pretend to be one of them all day every day. My mother didn't notice my rebellion, thank goodness, otherwise she would've reported me. She didn't care about me. She was another one of the cruel Rulers.


I peeled off from the line, saying to my classmates "I dropped an item over there a day ago. I need to pick it up and return to the bus. Please excuse my temporary absence". At least I wouldn't have to talk like that anymore.


I rushed into the woods, trying to evade the fence as much as possible. I didn't want anyone to see me, hear me, feel me. No one could've planned this as well as I. There was food packed in my pockets, up to the brim.


Suddenly, an alarm went off. No. I couldn't go back. Not again.

____________________________________________


"Ruler Williams. Your daughter human." I turned, expecting to see Mira with her backpack and books, ready to go home. Instead I saw her bruised and bloody, lonely and scared.


"Mira! What happened to you? Come here!" I pulled her in for a hug, trying to comfort her in between sobs.


"Mom, I didn't want to be a robot. I don't want to. Please don't make me act like that anymore!" She cried, and I set her down on the chair. I was going to right this wrong, even for just one person. My daughter wasn't going to suffer anymore.




THIS IS DEDICATED TO CELESTE, AVERY G., MIRA CAPLAN, AND FELICITY WILLIAMS!!!!!! LIKE AND UPVOTE AND FOLLOW THEM!!!!!

November 30, 2020 15:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

116 comments

Mira Caplan
15:11 Nov 30, 2020

Aaaaaaawwwww, thank you so much for featuring me!!! As I said earlier, Luke Castor will be VERY important in Part 5. This story was just...wow. I love it. And, no, I would never be a robot. I'm way too rebellious for that. (You captured my personality really well.)

Reply

. .
15:11 Nov 30, 2020

Lol I tried! I just started it 20 min ago!

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:16 Nov 30, 2020

That's insane....

Reply

. .
15:17 Nov 30, 2020

Lol

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:23 Nov 30, 2020

Teach me your ways!!!!!!!!

Reply

. .
15:24 Nov 30, 2020

I, YoDaAaA, proclaim that you must not make a checklist, only keep something in the back of your mind and pour your heart out. Of course, you may not be able to do that if it's not your style.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
01:14 Dec 02, 2020

Wowwwwww that was such a good story!! I loved the ending so much and loved how you included people from Reedsy here! Great job!!

Reply

. .
12:36 Dec 02, 2020

Thanks!! You'll be in my next one!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:01 Dec 02, 2020

Really?? Omg thank youuuuuuuu!!!

Reply

. .
13:05 Dec 02, 2020

Totes!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:29 Dec 02, 2020

:D

Reply

. .
17:07 Dec 02, 2020

I made another story with you in it!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
13:31 Dec 02, 2020

XDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
12:46 Dec 01, 2020

Hi! I really like this story, how you included all of your Reedsy friends! I like how Mira didn't think that Felicity cared about her, but she actually did and, in the end, was risking it all just to save Mira. My favorite sentence was, 'She had accepted the truth that the rulers of their world were corrupt and immoral. They only cared about power, not people.' Maybe next time you could include a bit more emotion? Anyway, good job! :)

Reply

. .
12:48 Dec 01, 2020

Yeah, I needed to add more emotion! Thanks so much!!!!!!

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
13:56 Dec 01, 2020

You're welcome! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ariadne .
18:18 Nov 30, 2020

Here to read as requested. Sorry I'm so late! I love how you incorporated your Reedsy friends in this story. My favorite line was this one: "My school was today. Joy. I was to read the Manifesto again. Joy." The sarcasm is excellent. :) My only critique would be to incorporate more emotion into this story. HOW was Mira feeling? Include her emotions into her POV. How about Felicity? When you're writing in a character's POV, their feelings are just as important as their thoughts and words. Other than that, well done! This was fabulo...

Reply

. .
18:18 Nov 30, 2020

Thanks so much!! I will definitely incorporate it. You're too kind!!

Reply

Ariadne .
18:22 Nov 30, 2020

Of course! I feel terrible about reading your story like, half a month late. So sorry! I'm glad I got to read it in the end, though.

Reply

. .
18:22 Nov 30, 2020

It's okay!! Technically, the story I would've asked you to read would've been a contest or two ago, but this is totally amazing!!

Reply

Ariadne .
18:29 Nov 30, 2020

Wait, what? Oh gosh, talk about embarrassing. I'd love to read it now. Which one is it, if you don't mind telling me the title?

Reply

. .
18:42 Nov 30, 2020

Malefice part one and two

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
16:17 Nov 30, 2020

This is awesome! Great job!

Reply

. .
16:17 Nov 30, 2020

Thanks so much!!

Reply

Ari Berri
16:18 Nov 30, 2020

No problem.

Reply

. .
16:18 Nov 30, 2020

I would include you, but you know, the whole name changing thing.

Reply

Ari Berri
16:20 Nov 30, 2020

It's fine.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
15:14 Nov 30, 2020

Ahh, nice!!! I really liked this!!! Your writing always makes me keep my eyes on the page. It was really good!!! I really liked how you incorporated your Reedsy friends there. Great job!!!

Reply

. .
15:15 Nov 30, 2020

Thank you!! OMG I FORGOT ABOUT YOU WAIT AND CHECK BACK IN 2 MINUTES!!!

Reply

Avery G.
16:06 Nov 30, 2020

AGHHHHH THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S AWESOMEEEEE!!!!

Reply

. .
16:07 Nov 30, 2020

You're very welcome!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
19:10 Dec 01, 2020

Hello again! (you just saw me in your first story and I popped up here again lol) like I said, I like comparing people's first stories to their recent ones. I think it was so cool how you Added in all of your Reedsy friends! I would've never managed to pull that off. Very creative!

Reply

. .
19:12 Dec 01, 2020

Thanks!! I love that idea of looking at people's first story compared to their last.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
05:42 Dec 01, 2020

Is the thing Harry Potter? The thing I'm referring to is the thing you have on your name and stuff

Reply

. .
12:39 Dec 01, 2020

Yeah, Avery G. Got it!! Good Job though.

Reply

B. W.
17:24 Dec 01, 2020

oh

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

IM IN HERE!?!?!?! I LOVE ITTTT I like how im the mom of felicity, one of my friens on here. Great story, loved every word!

Reply

. .
17:36 Nov 30, 2020

Awwwwww, thanks!! I'm sorry you didn't get a lot of time in the story, but you will be in there more in my next one.

Reply

No, I loved everything and how I'm the grand-mother to Mira! REALLY? I'M In the next StOrY?! (THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU) *Excited Noises*

Reply

. .
17:40 Nov 30, 2020

Lol Yeah!!

Reply

*Smile* Luke is actually a character in ma next story! :D

Reply

. .
17:41 Nov 30, 2020

Ha Yay!!!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Coco Longstaff
06:23 Jan 05, 2021

Hewo As always, your story was amazing! It was so thoughtful of you to include people from reedsy, I bet those people are so proud and flattered to be in your story! This is a unique and different story, just a little creepy, because robot human creep me out, but it was great! Good story!

Reply

. .
12:45 Jan 05, 2021

Thanks sooooooooooooooo much Coco!! I really enjoyed writing this... but I sad that Felicity isn't active anymoreeeeeee. :D

Reply

Coco Longstaff
23:03 Jan 05, 2021

Ohh that’s sad. And you’re welcome!

Reply

. .
23:03 Jan 05, 2021

:D

Reply

Coco Longstaff
23:48 Jan 05, 2021

Hi Litloverrr I was wondering if you could read one of my stories that I just wrote? It’s called “The battle between the grubs and the humans” Thanksss

Reply

. .
00:05 Jan 06, 2021

Ofc!! I put you in my newest story, Coco!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
01:24 Dec 29, 2020

Loved how this story was dedicated to those writers, I think it was super sweet! My favourite lines were, [I was going to right this wrong, even for just one person. My daughter wasn't going to suffer anymore.] It showed the final intention of the story, and I'm not sure what it is, but it sounded super nice to me. Excellent work as always! :D

Reply

. .
12:37 Dec 29, 2020

Thanks so much!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A. S.
03:36 Dec 02, 2020

That is so fun that you included your Reedsy friends in the story! Aside from that, it was a great story. What an interesting and terrible society. I could relate so easily to all of your characters and the hardships they were going through. Also, I read through your bio and KoLC is so good! But 8.5? Why can't we just have a 9?Anyway, great story! Would you be willing to read through one of my new stories? I really enjoyed this one and would love to hear your thoughts.

Reply

. .
12:37 Dec 02, 2020

I know, the novella continuation is an interesting concept that Shannon Messenger undertook. So glad you liked my story!! Of course, I'll read yours!!

Reply

A. S.
14:37 Dec 02, 2020

That’s true. Have you read it yet?

Reply

. .
14:40 Dec 02, 2020

Yeah!!

Reply

A. S.
14:45 Dec 02, 2020

Was it good?? I haven’t had the chance to read 8.5.

Reply

. .
14:47 Dec 02, 2020

Yeah!! It was real cool, but also kind of sad...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Phebe Emmanuel
04:53 Dec 01, 2020

This is so great! It's really cool how you added people from Reedsy into here, I never would have thought of that!

Reply

. .
12:39 Dec 01, 2020

Lol I enjoyed putting them in here!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
12:51 Dec 01, 2020

You'll be in my next one!!!!!!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
05:27 Dec 05, 2020

Aww, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Avery G.
03:27 Dec 01, 2020

Harry Potter? Idk, because I'm terrible at this stuff. Especially emojis...

Reply

. .
12:40 Dec 01, 2020

Yeah!!!!!!

Reply

Avery G.
16:14 Dec 01, 2020

Yay!!

Reply

. .
16:15 Dec 01, 2020

you're on the leaderboard

Reply

Avery G.
20:11 Dec 01, 2020

Ahh yes, thanks so much!

Reply

. .
20:12 Dec 01, 2020

I bet you are on the leaderboard tho!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Felicity Anne
18:17 Nov 30, 2020

Oh my gosh, Luke, I can not even begin to tell you how amazingly sweet you are! I can't believe you wrote a story with me in it! That's so kind of you! Your story is so raw and emotional and it provokes a lot of feelings and thoughts! How do you write so well??

Reply

. .
18:18 Nov 30, 2020

Lol I just don't know! You're very welcome for including you, you deserved it!!

Reply

Felicity Anne
18:19 Nov 30, 2020

I literally can not get over how nice you are!!!!!

Reply

. .
18:20 Nov 30, 2020

You're nicer!!

Reply

Felicity Anne
18:20 Nov 30, 2020

Haha, is nicer a word? I've never thought about that before

Reply

. .
18:21 Nov 30, 2020

I always thought it was...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.