29 comments

Romance Sad Drama

No one really remembered a time when they weren’t together. 

No one but them.

North could remember crying herself to sleep on cold nights, Everest remembered walking with his head down and earbuds in. They remembered the hushed whispers and short notes, ripped pages, and dead flowers. Flushed cheeks and rainy nights, candlelit reading sessions, and cold hands. 

On the contrary, everyone but them could see when they started to fall apart.

When their synchronized steps fell out of beat, when they stopped holding hands and stepped on each other’s feet. When North stopped talking and Everest started fidgeting and everyone was sure the apocalypse might’ve been nearing. 

It was only when Silver stopped Everest on his way to get coffee and told him in her soft voice and her sweet way with words that swirled like sugar that something was wrong did he realize something was wrong. And even with Silver’s cotton candy words, a large stone settled in his stomach.

Arrow was the one who told North, in his much deeper and huskier voice but calming nonetheless, like a meditation instructor, stretching his words and taking the right amount of pauses in between. North’s eyebrows had creased, and she had clasped her hands together, staring at the ring on her finger.

***

“You just have to remember why you love him.” Arrow’s words nearly echoed through the empty coffee shop. North tried to focus somewhere other than his dark brown eyes because she knew they would be sad. She settled for a small part of the wall.

“So it’s a me problem?” North’s voice didn’t waver or crack, but her heart did. It was all her fault? Should she leave him for the better? 

She thought they were two halves of a heart coming together to form an almost perfect whole, but what if she was a crumb of a different cookie, constantly rubbing against him and forcing him to crumble too?

She didn’t like that. 

“It’s not a you problem. In fact, I’d hardly call it a problem. I mean, has anything really changed?”

North thought long and hard. Considering she didn’t even notice there was anything wrong before Arrow told her, she supposed nothing was different. 

Was she falling out of love?

No. 

She would refuse to believe that she had wasted years of her life laughing and touching and feeling with someone who wasn’t her soulmate. 

So she’d remember, even if it hurt, even if it seemed like she hadn’t forgotten, she’d try to do something-anything- different than what she was already doing. 

***

Silver’s hair flowed down her back in a long, white braid as she sat with Everest, whose own hair was a mess of tangles on his head. 

Silver sat with her therapist hat, her legs crossed, and her eyes clouded. Everest shivered as he thought of the bleakness of his life before he had met North. At the bleakness of his life when he thought about if it was over. 

“What should I do?” His voice was dry. North usually reminded him to drink water, but she hadn’t that morning. She had looked distanced and sad and had mumbled that she was going to get coffee. 

Was that supposed to be some sort of hint?

“Maybe you’re spending too much time apart. Maybe you need to do something special, just the two of you. Maybe it’s nothing?” Everest didn’t like the word maybe. It was unsure and confusing and it wasn’t direct. Everest liked direct. 

“Something special like what?” He struggled to keep his voice even. His hands clenched the cushion he was sitting on tightly and he just wanted to disappear. 

“A dinner. Take her out somewhere nice.” Silver smiled, getting out of her chair. She placed her warm hands on Everest’s knee comfortingly. 

Everest just wished it were North instead.

***

Everest held on North’s wrist as she was walking out of the bedroom. She stopped and turned to him, hope and maybe a little uncertainty in her eyes.

“I was thinking. Maybe we could go to that restaurant?”

Arrow’s words bounced around in North’s mind. 

Would that be good?

“Okay.” She smiled with what she hoped looked more certain than she felt. “Okay,” she spoke again to solidify it. She spoke again because she realized he hadn’t heard her the first time, because she had whispered it ever so quiet, maybe afraid he would hear.

He let go of her hand and left her to dress. North hovered her finger beside the faded wallpaper as she walked, wobbling slightly on her feet.

She never did like clothing.

She settled for a sundress and comfortable shoes because comfort went before anything else. She found Everest at the door with his heavy winter coat and hat, his cheeks already red, the edges of his boots already laced with snow. 

North pulled her coat on and motioned to his shoes with her head, question in her eyes. 

“I got you a flower.” Everest pulled his hand from behind his back. 

It was an iris.

A lovely purple color, unlike any flower North had ever seen.

And she knew her flowers.

She curtsied and took the flower delicately from his large hands.

“Thank you. I like it.” 

She buttoned up her coat and imagined she was buttoning up her doubt. Everest held the door as she walked out into the snow, held her shoulders as she nearly slipped into the ice.

Their breaths were visible in the cold and North flexed her fingers one by one, wishing she’d brought her gloves. 

She tucked the iris behind her own ear as they walked almost side by side to the car. Everest walked fast. He hated the cold and wanted to be in the heated car faster than his awkward feet could take him. North walked slow, letting the cold air freshen her lungs.

Everest stopped, letting North catch up, and offered her his hand.

“We’re right by the car, Casanova.” Even so, she gave him her hand and he pressed cold lips on the back of her fingers gently letting it fall. 

Her ring glittered like the snow and though it was freezing, Everest didn't mind anymore as they made their way inside the small car they bought together.

“I love the snow.” North’s voice came out in wispy smoke from her mouth as Everest turned the key in the ignition.

“Me too.”

And they drove.

***

The waitress was a nice lady with the kind of eyes that told stories and the kind of grey hair wound into a bun that made North think of her grandparents.

When they ordered light meals each, she looked at them each in turn but scribbled down their words hastily, because young people weren’t her business anymore and they were harder to understand than google translate.

“I’m sorry.” North untucked the iris and set it down on the too-perfect red tablecloth and Everest shook the snow off his hat on the too-perfect tile.

“Why?” 

“It seemed like the right thing to say.”

Everet dropped his hat on the table and reached his hands out, clasping North’s tightly.

“No. Don’t be sorry. I love you.”

North didn’t know why but tiny teardrops poked the edges of her eyes and instead of wiping them away, she squeezed Everest’s hands tighter.

“I love you too.”

And they did love each other.

And even if sometimes they may forget to tell each other, that doesn’t mean they don’t care. Because they do. Because they care so much, too much.

Because that’s what love is.


February 18, 2021 19:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

29 comments

H L McQuaid
10:41 Feb 25, 2021

Some lovely writing. I especially liked: "When their synchronized steps fell out of beat, when they stopped holding hands and stepped on each other’s feet." Nicely done.

Reply

Amany Sayed
14:12 Feb 25, 2021

Thank you <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
06:51 Apr 15, 2021

This came up in my feed, and I thought, "This looks interesting, perhaps I'll read it." I didn't make a mistake, Amany. This story was so powerful, and I loved it so so so so much. I loved all the characters names, and the powerful bond North and Everest have. The ending was brilliant, and I loved all the little details of them drifting away, and then connecting again. This might be one of my favourite reeds, it gives me hope. Amazing work! Jasey <3

Reply

Amany Sayed
17:02 Apr 15, 2021

Aww, thank you so much! I'm so glad you liked it!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
23:58 Apr 15, 2021

No problem! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
10:58 Feb 26, 2021

Thank you, this gives me hope.

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:03 Feb 26, 2021

Aw, you're welcome! Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:57 Feb 25, 2021

Nevermind- this ones my favorite! Can I just sayyy you've improved your writing tremendously!!! Like wow! I mean your other stories are great but these ones are different, I don't remember feeling this warm from reading your stories but now I do and they are filled with soooo much emotions! Ugh, its sooo good! I can't even find anything to critique. But anyways I loved this one as well. Like I said on your previous stories, your way of using words really brings out the imagery in your stories and they give a different feel. Wording is every...

Reply

Amany Sayed
14:14 Feb 25, 2021

haha, thanks! Awww, you think soooo? Thank you so muchhhh Yas aesthetic vibes from stories rule. No worries at all! I will!

Reply

17:01 Feb 25, 2021

Yeahhh I do! Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Izzie Q.
21:53 Feb 24, 2021

Hey again, Amany! Your stories are so so fun and I love reading them! The character names were easy to remember and SO good! When I was younger I literally used to name my characters Arson and Cinema lmao this story had really good detail and I'm excited to read over your other stories! how was your day?

Reply

Amany Sayed
21:55 Feb 24, 2021

I'm so glad :D Thank you! Lol, that actually sounds cool! Aw, thank you! It was alright! Week's going by too slow though.

Reply

Izzie Q.
22:00 Feb 24, 2021

Oooooh yeah, it's been a slow week but I blame that on science class :D Idk if you are into zodiacs but i have this app that tells me my horosope and zodiac stuff everyday and today it was like "you should feel depressed." but i'm good haha

Reply

Izzie Q.
22:01 Feb 24, 2021

wait no, I'm a little depressed, I ate a brownie that had WALNUTS snuck into it :( whats a food you really despise? oooh and what's your fav dessert?

Reply

Amany Sayed
22:05 Feb 24, 2021

Lol, yeah I'm semi into them. Food I really despise-Twizlers(idk top of my mind) Fav dessert- chocolate chip cookies :)

Reply

Izzie Q.
22:07 Feb 24, 2021

Ewww yeah Twizlers are gross! They taste like rubber haha and I also hate mayo :P I like boba tea! also creme brulee's or anything custard based mmm :) I totally have a sweet tooth haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Izzie Q.
18:18 Feb 23, 2021

Hey Amany!! I LOVE this story! The last sentence really wrapped it up nicely and I am totally gonnna read more of your stories! cheers!

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:45 Feb 23, 2021

Thank you so much! Glad you thought so! Hope you like them :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elizabeth Inkim
04:07 Feb 20, 2021

First of all, this was amazing! I was so rooting for them, and while I almost never write happy ending love stories, I am a sucker when it comes to reading them, and you surpass all expectation there. It was so sweet that you kept them together too. My favourite parts were them making an effort to keep it together, and where they remember they want and love each other; cause that's real, love is work. I also write a story with this prompt, called "Lighting in a Bottle", and I'd love to know what you think about how the romance unravels.

Reply

Amany Sayed
04:09 Feb 20, 2021

Ohhh, I have a ton you should read! Thank you! Sure thing!

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
04:17 Feb 20, 2021

Yes! And feel free to leave a comment, I love to discuss ideas and chat in the comments section. I am not afraid of a long comment. P.S. All characters and locations belong to the same fictional universe; everything’s interconnected, just not told chronologically. So for example Rosyln is my favourite character so she tends to pop up often.

Reply

Amany Sayed
04:17 Feb 20, 2021

I'll leave my views then! (sounds cool!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
20:18 Feb 18, 2021

AYYYYYY! HAPPY 50th story! And congrats on another great romance! It was sweet and simple and it flowed really well. I like how in the end North and Everest realized that they did love each other, no matter how uncertain they were. (ALSO, another detail I noticed. North and Everest go together because Mt. Everest is located in the North of...I think it's Nepal. I thought that was an interesting detail if that was intentional).

Reply

Amany Sayed
20:20 Feb 18, 2021

Thank youuuu! (Ha, yes I did do that on purpose, and I'm also trying to make my names more interesting)

Reply

Sunny 🌼
20:21 Feb 18, 2021

Ah yeah that makes sense

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
19:53 Feb 18, 2021

This is amazing!!! Happy 50th!!! My one critique would be to find a way to lighten up on the commas, because there are so many of them and they make it a little clunky. As for the storyline, MAH GAWD CHEF'S KISS!!!! Also, look what I did to my bio!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:59 Feb 18, 2021

Thank you, Luke! Could you tell me where you find it too much, that would be really helpful, I noticed myself adding a bit much. AW THANK YOU! It's cool! My other new one is a bit better than this if you want to read, I feel the need to redeem myself ;)

Reply

. .
21:06 Feb 18, 2021

I would say to just avoid listing adj noun, adj noun, adj noun like you do in the beginning and a little at the end, and ofc I will!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
21:10 Feb 18, 2021

Got it, thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.