Contest #223 shortlist ⭐️

The Secret Seminar of Bartholomew McQuill

Submitted into Contest #223 in response to: Start your story with a student discovering a hidden room in a university library.... view prompt

21 comments

Fantasy Funny Adventure

Once upon a not-so-ordinary Monday, in the most ordinary corner of the extraordinarily vast library of the University of Arcane and Arcaner, young Bartholomew “Barty” McQuill stumbled upon the sort of secret that would either make his academic career or confirm his impending madness. Barty, a second-year student of Sorcerous Studies and Minor Mischief, was as infamous for his insatiable curiosity as he was for his ability to find trouble in the most benign of places, like a library.

The library itself was an architectural paradox, a labyrinth of shelves that defied spatial coherence, with stacks spiralling upwards into what scholars affectionately termed the "Literary Stratosphere." It was said that the upper echelons were inhabited by books so ancient they whispered secrets on the wind, and owls that wore spectacles, presumably because they had strained their eyes reading the forbidden texts.

On this fateful day, Barty was meant to be studying for his midterms, a dreadfully dull affair involving the memorization of twelve volumes of "Enchanted Etiquette" and the "Proper Pronunciation of Pernicious Pentagrams." His attention, as was its wont, had wandered. He roved between the shelves, tracing his fingers along the spines of books until he felt a peculiar tingle, like the static shock of woollen socks on a stone floor.

Pausing, Barty examined a particularly mouldy tome titled “The Secret Societies of Salamanders” when the bookshelf before him creaked ominously and swung inward, revealing a hidden room suffused with a greenish light that smelled faintly of peppermint and parchment.

Eager for any excuse to procrastinate, Barty slipped into the room. Inside, the walls were lined with shelves that housed the most bizarre collection of books Barty had ever seen. Titles like “Ghoulish Gourmet: A Zombie's Guide to Fine Dining” and “Incantations in Iambic Pentameter” beckoned to him. In the centre of the room stood a large oak table strewn with maps of constellations and artefacts that looked suspiciously like they should be in a museum, not a university library.

As Barty tiptoed through the room, he noticed a book lying open on the table: “The Chronicle of Collegiate Catastrophes.” Barty, with the reverence of a cat approaching a suspiciously still mouse, approached the book. The page it was open to described the legend of the Lost Lecture, a mythical class taught by a professor so mind-numbingly boring that students who attended were never seen again, lost in an eternal daydreaming state.

Barty chuckled at the absurdity. Surely, it was a fable, an academic boogeyman tale. He turned to leave when the room flickered, and the door slammed shut. Barty was not alone.

Before him stood a figure draped in academic regalia, the hood obscuring the face, but the voice unmistakably dry and monotonous. "Welcome, Bartholomew McQuill, to the Lost Lecture."

Barty's heart sank. He tried to run, but his feet were glued to the floor by some unseen scholarly force. The figure began to drone on about the existential implications of goblin market economics, and Barty could feel his consciousness ebbing away.

Hours or perhaps years passed in this manner. Barty's mind wandered through a fog of academic jargon and hypothetical situations involving trolls and trade tariffs. Just when he thought he might surrender to the ennui, a spark ignited within him. His hand, moving as if of its own accord, scribbled a note on his parchment: "The joke’s on you; I’ve never paid attention in class long enough to be bored to death."

The figure paused, and the room seemed to hold its breath. Then, a spectral chuckle filled the air, and the figure threw back its hood to reveal a face that was not quite human, its eyes twinkling with mischief.

"Well played, young scholar," it said. "You have passed the test."

"Test?" Barty croaked, his voice hoarse from disuse.

"The test of true academia," the figure explained. "To seek knowledge even when the path is fraught with the peril of profound tedium. For your courage and humour, I grant you access to the true treasure of this room."

With a flourish, the figure gestured to the shelves, and the books shimmered before transforming into volumes of the most enthralling subjects. "The Heroic Histories of Hedgehog Heroes," "The Metaphysics of Moonlight Mazurkas," and "Wand Waving for the Wickedly Witty."

Barty could hardly believe his luck. He reached out and took a book, feeling the weight of untold knowledge in his hands. The figure nodded, its form beginning to fade. "Remember, knowledge is light, but  without a spark of fun, it cannot shine."

And with that, the figure vanished, and the door swung open. Barty, clutching a stack of books, hurried out just in time to see the sun rise—or set, for all he knew—over the university.

He returned to his dormitory, where his roommate, a half-elf named Elric with a penchant for pyromancy, looked up from his own books. "Where have you been? You look like you've seen a ghost."

Barty grinned, dropping the books on the table. "Something like that. But I've got stories that could fill a semester and then some."

Elric raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "Did you at least learn how to pronounce 'pernicious'?"

"Pfft," Barty scoffed, flopping onto his bed with a book in hand. "Who needs pentagrams when you've got the wit to weave words into wonders?"

And so, Barty McQuill, the most unlikely of scholars, had discovered the most coveted of academic treasures: knowledge infused with wonder and a reminder that even in the pursuit of the profound, one must never lose the levity that makes learning a delight.

As for the Lost Lecture, it remained a legend, whispered among students as a cautionary tale against the dangers of dullness. It was a reminder always to keep the humour in the halls of ivy, lest they become a labyrinth of lethargy.

And if, on a quiet evening, you wander the stacks of the University of Arcane and Arcaner's library and hear a faint chuckle carried on the wind, remember the tale of Barty McQuill and the hidden room where the true spirit of academia lives on: not in the sombre silence of study, but in the joyous jingle of jest.

November 03, 2023 19:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

21 comments

Kathleen Spencer
20:17 Jan 25, 2024

-A very delightful story, that took me on an adventure, with a satisfactory ending. I enjoyed reading your tale. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Graham Kinross
00:19 Dec 01, 2023

“The Heroic Histories of Hedgehog Heroes,” one of Brian Jacques best books for sure. Absolutely awesome alliteration, always answering hubris with humour.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ken Cartisano
08:07 Nov 24, 2023

This was such a fun, pointlessly delightful story. Barty McQuill, indeed. I think you may have exceeded the legal limit for alliteration. It's in the by-laws, confuses the algorithms or something. But seriously... I was so busy trying to 'out joke' you there, I almost forgot to mention, you and I took the same prompt, and did similar things with that prompt. a kind of silly, literary sashay. But yours is so much better. The entire opening, the descriptions of the room, the library, the books, the main character himself, the Lost Lecturer. T...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kristi Gott
21:06 Nov 22, 2023

I love this story. It is so wonderful! Uniqueness, originality, entertainment, wisdom and cleverness all in one! Congratulations on the shortlist!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Story Time
08:13 Nov 20, 2023

Another great story with a real flair. I can't wait to read more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
AnneMarie Miles
15:04 Nov 18, 2023

Congratulations on your shortlist, Pino!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Ebuluofor
14:46 Nov 18, 2023

I just liked how you presented this short but captivating tale. It can even pass as a blog post on another site and still attract reads and claps. I consider it unisex work. Congrats.

Reply

Show 0 replies
David McCahan
13:43 Nov 18, 2023

You hooked me with your first sentence. Your writing style is brilliant.

Reply

Show 0 replies
04:33 Nov 18, 2023

Market economics and trade tariffs are exciting topics for me! i'd still be lost at the lost lecture.Your story was joyous, jingly and jestful, congrats on the shortlist!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marty B
18:27 Nov 17, 2023

'I’ve never paid attention in class long enough to be bored to death.' The one test in a class I would have passed! Congratulations on the great writing and the shortlist!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
16:24 Nov 17, 2023

Congrats on another shortlist. Perfect record so far.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anna W
03:07 Nov 15, 2023

I really enjoyed this story Pino! Your words are truly a wonderful weaving of wit, and I loved reading every line. You captured the true joy of knowledge, a joyous delight in following our curiosity to its end. A stupendous story!! Loved it. 👏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Edd Baker
04:15 Nov 14, 2023

Pun sorcery! I really enjoyed this. Wonderfully absurd, with some great descriptive lines (that are also sometimes at the same time jokes which makes it even better). "and owls that wore spectacles, presumably because they had strained their eyes reading the forbidden texts." Hands down by favorite line and joke from the story. So ridiculous and absurd, but also having lore and detail provided into it that makes it sensible, but also more ridiculous. Great job, really enjoyed this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kailani B.
17:51 Nov 13, 2023

This is so much fun! I love the alliteration and the lighthearted tone.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tom Skye
18:12 Nov 11, 2023

Great voice in this. And a really great opening line. I enjoyed the fantasy element throughout. It gave the magic college trope a fresh twist. Solid message about knowledge and eagerness to learn as well. Enjoyed this a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

17:23 Nov 12, 2023

Thanks! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
13:51 Nov 11, 2023

Yep, loved this one too. I’m a definite fan of your writing style. - You had me hooked right from the very 1st sentence 😂 I loved the poetic imagery in many places eg: « inhabited by books so ancient they whispered secrets on the wind » I especially liked this phrase: « the legend of the Lost Lecture, a mythical class taught by a professor so mind-numbingly boring that students who attended were never seen again, lost in an eternal daydreaming state. » This is very clever: « Remember, knowledge is light, but without a spark of fun, it...

Reply

17:24 Nov 12, 2023

Thanks for the kind comment :)

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
19:44 Nov 12, 2023

My pleasure

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:37 Nov 11, 2023

You must keep writing this tale! ❤️ Joyous and witty, your story is simply beautiful and engaging. (And there is much more here. Novels and sequels to come.) I am sure you are a poet at heart, as the intricate rhyme, meter, and repetition add an intelligent depth to your charming tale. Your last line is as reverent and hopeful as a prayer. Amen and amen. Well done!

Reply

17:24 Nov 12, 2023

Thank you! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.