144 comments

Fiction Historical Fiction Fantasy

On March 3rd, 2021 the nationwide alert was heard on every T.V. screen, Radio, Phone, Tablet, Streaming service. Every electronic in the country was showing the same thing. โ€œDisturbance, Covid-19 now known as the Zombie virus, is catching faster and faster. The world is under a complete shutdown, no human is allowed in or out of the house. I repeat Disturbanceโ€ฆโ€

I turn to my brother quickly, the fear present on his face scares me more than the message itself.

โ€œWhat do we do?โ€ I ask him quietly, I donโ€™t want him to hear the fear in my voice.

โ€œWhere did you put dad's shotgun?โ€ He says standing up quickly.

โ€œItโ€™s in the cellar, along with our other survival stuff. Why do we need it?โ€ I ask my panic slowly slipping out.

โ€œHave you never seen the walking dead? They were once humans, meaning they arenโ€™t dumb. They are still going to know how to open doors, work weapons, drive cars, the whole shebang. We arenโ€™t safe, Cy. We have to find a way to keep ourselves safe. Dadโ€™s shotgun and the cellar should be safe enough.โ€ He says heading towards the basement.

I follow after him pulling a hand through my shaggy brown hair stumbling slightly down the stairs. โ€œOkay, But dad never showed us how to survive. You donโ€™t even know how to shoot a shotgun. Dad never showed you before he died.โ€ I say as he grabs the keys off the wall next to the stairs.

โ€œDoesnโ€™t mean I never learned by myself. Plus, how was Dad supposed to know we would be facing an apocalypseโ€ He says putting the key into the cellar lock and twisting until I hear the clicking of the brace locks coming undone.

โ€œYeah, well we donโ€™t know how to survive,โ€ I say now twisting my shirt as I look around the cellar room walls.

โ€œI was in boy scouts, remember? Just cause you never wanted to go to boy scouts doesnโ€™t mean that everyone doesnโ€™t know how to survive.โ€ He says grabbing the shotgun and then the bullets.

โ€œBut, Ty, what if we fail? What if the virus gets to us? Then what? We just die, Is that what dad would have wanted? We need to plan this out. Who is going to ration the food? Who is going to go upstairs and wash our clothes? Who is going to stand guard and at what time? Thereโ€™s a process to survival, so we have to get one that works for us.โ€ I say crossing my arms over my chest slightly huffing.

โ€œWe wonโ€™t fail, Cy, The virus wonโ€™t get to us even if itโ€™s in the house, dad made sure to get extra masks. The clothes down here are thick enough that it wonโ€™t touch your skin, Iโ€™ll go upstairs and wash the clothes every Monday. You can ration the food cause youโ€™re the mathematician. Weโ€™ll take turns standing guard, Iโ€™ll take the night shift and youโ€™ll take the morning. Is that a good enough plan?โ€ He asks as he surveys everything we have.

โ€œFine, but we have to take account of everything in here and continue to do so, In case we run out of supplies,โ€ I say finally taking a seat near the food, pulling the canned goods out, and starting to count them.

โ€œAlright, but can you be quiet while you do it?โ€ he says cocking the gun before putting the safety back on and placing it near the door where he is sitting.

โ€œYeah, okay,โ€ I reply absently as I count the canned soups.

{{{}}}

Here is some context on how I and my brother got to where we are. For starters, my name is Cylus, or Cy for short. I have two older siblings, a twenty-year-old sister named Sydney and a seventeen-year-old brother named Tyler. Our dad kinda had a thing for names with the second letter being Y. His own name was Ryder Berkley.ย My father was a Navy sailor. He loved the ocean and lakes. Which is why we leave near the beach.ย 

He and my Mother Stephine had a bad falling out a couple years ago when I was only twelve years old. Now Iโ€™m fifteen years old and She only calls once a year. Iโ€™m not complaining tho, she was never the nurturing type. My father raised all of us while my mother just stood by and watched. After the pandemic hit she just stopped calling altogether, Ty says she probably caught covid and passed away. I highly doubt that, the pandemic just gave her a reason not to call us anymore.

When our father passed of Covid-19 a week ago he set us up with enough money to live in this house until I go off to college, so Ty and I donโ€™t get separated or put in foster care where we wouldnโ€™t be safe. When school stopped we did everything virtually, I'm in the twelfth grade so I'm graduating this year with my brother Ty. It's been weird, to say the least, trying to keep up with my classes. I mean try being 15 in all advanced college classes during a pandemic, it's probably the hardest thing I've dealt with this year.

So that's the whole background so far of what's happening with the Berkley family.

{{{}}}

That night I sleep restlessly while Ty guards the door. The loud knocking comes early in the morning while Ty is sleeping.ย I grab one of the big jackets and shrug it on, I put on two masks and pull the hood over my hair and ears. I grab the shotgun and cautiously make my way up the stairs. I move in front of the front door and look through the peephole to see my older sister.ย 

โ€œHow recently have you been tested?โ€ I yell through the door, I hear her scoff

โ€œThis morning Cy, now open the door cause itโ€™s cold,โ€ She says, raising up a piece of paper up to the peephole that says she was tested at 0857 this morning. The results say that sheโ€™s negative and I unlatch the door and open it letting her in.

โ€œThank you,โ€ She says walking in and taking her jacket off โ€œWhereโ€™s Ty?โ€ she asks as she looks around the house.

โ€œHeโ€™s down in the cellar sleeping, weโ€™re doing shifts and itโ€™s my turn,โ€ I explain walking towards the basement door with her following close behind.ย 

โ€œWhy are yโ€™all in the cellar? Staying upstairs isnโ€™t going to get yโ€™all sick you know that right?โ€ she says as we make our way down the stairs and into the cellar

โ€œWe know, but the zombies are going to move just like humans and we have to be prepared for anything,โ€ I say as I place the shotgun down and close the door to the cellar.

โ€œUnderstandable,โ€ She says sitting down next to Tyโ€™s sleeping body.

"So, what are you doing here? Didn't you say you'd never stay in this house after dad died?" I ask sitting down in front of her.

"Yeah, but there's no time like the future right?" she says running a hand through her hair.

"Yeah, I guess so," I say and I turn around and lean my head on her lap with my eyes closed.

{{{}}}

Little did I know that would be the last time I ever had my older sister with me that year. Her eyes slowly turned bright green and her jaw became displaced. Her skin became a nasty pale color and her nails and lips turned blue. I would have to find a cure for her and I wouldn't stop until I did.


February 05, 2021 17:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

144 comments

Siobhan Mulalley
22:25 Feb 16, 2021

Great story. Does not feel finished and I would love to know more, which is the mark of a great story. You built up to the twist well, and even though you kind of suspect that she may have the virus, it still takes you by surprise at the end. I hope to read some more of this one day. Thanks for sharing

Reply

12:21 Feb 17, 2021

Thank you so much for the feedback. I will be writing a part two sometime when I stop hitting writers' block lol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annette Lovewind
19:10 Feb 16, 2021

*waves rainbow flag* sorry on the computer and don't have emojis

Reply

19:16 Feb 16, 2021

It's fine

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Creed .
15:14 Feb 16, 2021

Was your original name Carolina Shaw? If not, sorry! ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ(sorry, I can only paste emojis like this) ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ

Reply

15:16 Feb 16, 2021

....Nope it was CJ... why does it matter?

Reply

Creed .
15:17 Feb 16, 2021

There was someone else who said they were going to join the Marvel trend as Captain Marvel, but then said never mind. I was just wondering.

Reply

15:21 Feb 16, 2021

AH well it's their loss lmao cause she is lit

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
D. Owen
14:33 Feb 16, 2021

So intense.

Reply

16:18 Feb 18, 2021

hehe

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:28 Feb 16, 2021

I hope there will be more!

Reply

16:18 Feb 18, 2021

Maybe

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:42 Feb 16, 2021

๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ I really liked this story! I like the survival aspect and how it connects to our world today, The survival parts of this just made me know that there was going to be some twist in the end. Annnnnnnnnnd there was. Hope you make a part 2! Great job!

Reply

13:51 Feb 16, 2021

Thanks lol... I didn't know how to end the story so I made it a twist...

Reply

14:22 Feb 16, 2021

a twist is many writers' "get out of jail free" card....

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:22 Feb 16, 2021

and yw!

Reply

14:54 Feb 16, 2021

It really is lmao

Reply

16:07 Feb 16, 2021

Lol ๐Ÿ˜‚

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
T. Rezy
23:53 Feb 15, 2021

No offense... but my story is much more accomplished, and a plot that takes a clever twist on the prompt. But it doesn't seem to get the exposure unlike this one per exemple. Feel free to go and give it a read if you think I am wrong. Any feedback is welcome :)

Reply

Zoe Knight
10:34 Feb 18, 2021

Saying "my story is better" isn't a constructive criticism. If you want people to read your piece just say so, preferably after giving some actual helpfull comments to the author. Also, the reason this story is getting more likes is most probably because Captain Marvel reads other people stories and comments/leaves likes there, so people feel they should also check out her work. That's basically how it works here, the more you engage with other people stories, the more comments and likes you're gonna get under yours.

Reply

16:19 Feb 18, 2021

Thank you... that's what I was trying to tell him but whatever...

Reply

Show 0 replies
T. Rezy
23:19 Feb 18, 2021

I was stating my opinion. It could be my story or another story that isn't get the numbers it deserves. Regardless of whether it's under the guise of constructive criticism. The fact remains the same. Personally if someone likes my story I want it to be because they actually like my story, not because they are returning a favor; the piece should speak for itself. I have acknowledged that it's how it works on this site, through engagement. It's more of a social media site than a network for creative writing perhaps.

Reply

Zoe Knight
23:34 Feb 18, 2021

It's not constructive criticism. There's nothing constructive about that statement, the author gets nothing from it, it's not even about the story. I get that it's frustrating that people don't see your story (not many people see my stories either), but with a thousand new entries each week there really is no other way than going around and asking people to read your piece, or commenting on their work in hopes they comment on yours. I don't have much time so I only comment on around 6 stories per week + I answer when someone engaged with m...

Reply

T. Rezy
20:40 Feb 20, 2021

I said it wasn't a constructive criticism... Learn to read

Reply

Zoe Knight
07:23 Feb 21, 2021

Learn to be nice.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
12:48 Feb 16, 2021

I don't get offended really easily... I mean if you wanted me to read your story all you had to was ask me and I would. I'm not gonna disagree with you, when I was writing this I got bored at the end so I just wrote what I could and then submitted it. when people started liking my story I was shocked, to say the least, because I really didn't try. So I'm sure yours is better.

Reply

T. Rezy
17:19 Feb 16, 2021

Well that is good since it was far from my intention, I am just calling it how it is. I do appreciate your transparency however. I can see that you didn't. There are stories where a lot of effort is put in to them that don't always get the exposure so that's why I commented where I normally wouldn't. Because if you are going to get that many likes naturally it will come with the territory of being exposed to more critisism. Maybe this platform unproportionally favors interaction over content.

Reply

18:13 Feb 16, 2021

Maybe... I don't really know how people rate stories on here. I can assure you if you want me to tell people to check you out... I will. You are a great writer for sure. :) I know it wasn't your intention which is why I didn't take it, heart.

Reply

T. Rezy
21:45 Feb 16, 2021

Thank you for such acclaim. I am glad that you think so, that's what it's all about as writer is people enjoying your work, as well as creating work that you're proud of. That's very kind but I wouldn't trouble you to put yourself out of your way.

Reply

21:47 Feb 16, 2021

It would be no trouble at all :) Your right about that for sure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

Haha, LOVE Lilo, such a cute girl, isn't she? Not to forget, how Stitch is from the first movie! ;) Anyways, great story!

Reply

12:57 Feb 16, 2021

Yeth thank you :) and Now I am Captain Marvel lol just gon keep changing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.