227 comments

Fiction Sad

β€œI’m leaving with Olive, come if you wanna!” June shouted into her little cottage.


β€œOkay, coming!” replied Asa, her younger brother.


June, with a ruffled pale yellow dress and a white sun hat, led her bunny out into the evening sun. Olive’s fur was blonde, with some white spots, and little shiny black eyes. The moment June had laid her eyes on the little rabbit, she decided it was hers.


β€œWait up!” shouted Asa while June and Olive walked to the seaside, with paint, brushes, a palette and an easel in June’s arms.


The sun was half of its way down the sky, smearing orange and yellow across it’s pink canvas. Lavender and indigo clouds dotted the sky, with the bottoms highlighted by the sun’s light. All these colours were reflected onto the pale sand below, so that was where June set up her canvas.


β€œI said wait up!” Asa shouted again as June gazed at the easel from different angles and adjusted it appropriately.


β€œPainting waits for no one,” responded his sister, and Olive jumped up in agreement.


β€œI brought Olive her favourite toy,” Asa said, holding out a coloured ball of rope that Olive immediately started leaping at.


β€œShe’ll have to pose for me first.”


β€œPose? Is she a supermodel or something?”


β€œHaven’t you heard of β€˜en plein air’?”


β€œI have really no idea what you are talking about,” Asa said, taunting Olive with the toy.


β€œAh, nevermind. Can you move Olive over there so I can prepare my paint?”


β€œFine,” Asa muttered, leading Olive away.


June had brought only the necessary colours: blue, red, yellow, white and black. Those were the colours she had, and the only ones she would need, really. It would take a lot of mixing, but mixing paint was one of her favourite things to do, creating colours that you hadn’t seen before with your own very hands.


June squeezed some red and blue out on her palette, to make the dark violet that spanned the sky under all the other colours. She brushed it lightly all over the canvas, and then mixed a pale orange to blend into the horizon line. June added white as the transition colour and blended a smooth gradient, as Asa teased Olive with, β€œGet the ball! Get the ball!”


June now added some yellow right atop the horizon, where the imaginary sun would rest. She squirted some white and a touch of red, making a pink highlight for the clouds. Adding white to the violet she’d used earlier, she was about to make a cloud when a fluffy lump landed on her arm, dragging the lilac across the painting.


β€œOlive!”


The bunny jumped off quickly and knelt at June’s feet, paws up at her chest pleadingly.


β€œAsa, you were supposed to keep her away until I needed her!” June shouted.


Asa winced and said, β€œUm, I might’ve thrown the ball at you by accident and Olive went after it.”


β€œWell, maybe you should practice your throwing skills before taking care of a bunny!”


Asa didn’t respond and just picked up the ball at June’s feet. With a glare from his sister, Asa led the little bunny away from the painting, which June now had to fix up.


β€œUgh, brothers…” murmured June as she attempted to repaint the gradient with the leftover paint from earlier. After a few minutes there wasn’t any dragged paint across the sky, even if it didn’t look as good as before, so June moved on.


Dabbing with the lavender she made, June created the clouds that added embellishment to the sky. She then highlighted them with the pink, and after it had partly dried, used her brush to drag the clouds out a bit, making them look wispy.


Stepping back to admire the sunset she’d recreated, June heard Asa shout, β€œNo Olive! No!”


She looked to her left and saw Olive skipping into the sea, splashing water onto her blonde fur.


β€œOLIVE!”


The bunny looked at June, who was running towards her, and stared at June as she picked her up.


β€œDon’t go out there Olive. It’s dangerous,” whispered June, looking into Olive’s glossy, curious eyes. She set her pet down and walked back to her painting, while Asa scolded Olive for trying such a thing.


Back to her painting, June mixed a bit of red, blue and yellow to create a tan colour. She added white to make the muted sand colour and applied it to the bottom of the canvas. She added a bit more yellow and red to make the paint darker, and then shaded the sand with a stiff horsehair brush.


β€œOlive!”


June looked back to her left and saw Olive skidding to a stop at the shore of the beach, with Asa running behind.


β€œOlive…” June began as she ran to her bunny and picked her up. β€œYou do know why it’s dangerous to go out there?”


Olive just stared back eccentrically.Β 


June sighed. β€œIf you go out there, Olive, you might get pulled in by the riptide. The riptide appears out of nowhere and just rips you into the ocean, pulling you under. If the riptide pulls you under, you won’t come back. Please, please don’t go into the ocean. ”


Olive blinked with some or another understanding, and trotted back to Asa orphically.


Almost time to get Olive, thought June as she dotted the bottoms of the clouds with a lighter pink. Then, after combining yellow and orange from before, she added little clouds near the horizon line, around where the sun would be.Β 


June stepped back again, looking for imperfections. That cloud looks a bit too dark, she thought, so she painted over a cloud that was on the right side of the painting with lavender. June hummed along with the lapping waves as she shaded the clouds, using more pastel colours than before. She thought she might’ve heard someone calling her name, but she decided it was her imagination.


Straining her neck back again to check, June thought, Now the highlights look too bright. She darkened the pink with a touch more red, and then reapplied the highlights with the new colour.Β 


The sun now was perched right at the horizon line, just like in June’s painting. She thought the calling for her had gotten louder, but she just ignored it.


Satisfied with her clouds, June was about to call Asa for Olive when she heard something. Splashing. Not the waves lapping, that sound was normal, but a more distinct splash.


β€œNO!”


June looked up from her painting to the waves in front of her and saw a little lump splashing in the water.


β€œOLIVE!”


Asa and June ran, ran, ran into the water, trying to get to Olive, but then they paused.


A wave, which had appeared out of nowhere, towered above the little bunny and crashed down, engulfing her in its waves. When the waves pulled back, the pair only saw colourful waves peering back at them.


"No. No. She can't be gone," said June, sobbing. "She can't be."


Asa gulped and opened and closed his mouth, but couldn't push out the slippery words in his throat.


They now leaned against a rocky cliff, where they could see their cottage and the beach and June’s painting. They cried, then hugged, then stared at the sky as the sun started disappearing under the surf.


β€œI thought…” sniffed June, β€œthat it was my imagination...I didn’t know it was you...I’m so sorry Asa...I’m sorry…” She leaned against her brother’s shoulder for reassurance.


β€œI should’ve moved faster,” Asa said, β€œbut I just stood and watched. I should’ve moved.”


β€œThere were so many things we should’ve done,” June said. β€œSo many things.”


Asa nodded and the two settled in a silence that was not awkward, but one that gave off a feeling of kenopsia.


After a while, June stood up. β€œI’ll collect my painting stuff now.”


Asa nodded again.


He watched her dress billow as she folded up her easel and the unfinished painting. As her eyes looked so solemn when she put her brushes among the palette, not caring that they got smothered in paint. As she walked slowly back to Asa with her things when a little tear dripped down her cheek and sat back down next to him.


They didn’t talk. Not until the sky and the waves looked like sisters or brothers, cousins or nieces, until the sky and waves looked similar as family.


β€œShe was so...so cute. I remembered when we got her, the first thing I thought when I saw her was, β€˜she’s so cute’,” said June with a quiet sigh, her twinkling eyes resembling the stars. They sat in a short silence as night blanketed the sky, and neither of them could tell the waves and sky apart as they headed home.

June 21, 2021 22:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

227 comments

TJ Squared
23:02 Jun 21, 2021

Riptides. Serious things. I really liked how you described how June painted the sunset and the mixing of colors was pretty cool. Olive is a great name for a little rabbit like that. And man, when she was pulled under the waves it was just...wow. grrrrrrrrrreat job with everything!

Reply

TJ Squared
23:24 Jun 21, 2021

you're welcome :D

Reply

TJ Squared
19:12 Jul 04, 2021

nice new poem! especially the last line, it's very intriguing.

Reply

tyyy!!! I have to put a new one lol XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
11:57 Aug 14, 2021

Are you having a block? Reader's Block? Writer's Block, maybe? Then what are you waiting for? Read my tried and tested tips to overcome all types of Creative Block here: https://wp.me/pd3y1A-co

Reply

thank for the link! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:16 Aug 14, 2021

SISSSSSSSSSSSS asksjahshga as soon as I saw your profile pic I did a mix between β€œAY A PICREW, DID I LOG ONTO QUORA OR SM? HEHE”, *sigh, a picrew*, and β€œgUeSs WhO lIkEs ThAt PiN tOo? ;D” hehehehe. No really tho, r u on Quora?? You should be on Quora. ASLDJAHAGSGS I CAN’T GET OVER HOW PICREW HAS MANAGED TO INVADE REEDSY TOO LOL wow this comment is a mess- short story shorter, picrew profile pics are alllll over Quora and I’m so used to seeing them there it’s kinda funny to see em’ on Reedsy XD Noice hehe. Love ya adiossssssss

Reply

HELLOOOOOOOOOOO LOLLL I'm not (yet) :> LOL XD interesting!!! shanks u too lol your pfp XD booteefool

Reply

00:26 Aug 19, 2021

HELLLLLLOOOOOOO yessss gurl you better get RIGHT on there it’s really freaking fun!!! Eeeee ty haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

waitwaitwait I didn't notice this before but you said you like that pin [it's been changed lol] :O r u...??

Reply

20:45 Aug 22, 2021

oh yah definitely *wiggles eyebrows, slightly more dramatically*

Reply

:O :D hehe buddiesss

Reply

21:34 Aug 22, 2021

ooh yessss lol (and on THIS episode of Online Friends Are So Wholesome-)

Reply

mhm yes (we have a GLOBAL dilemma, aka 'why won't Aerin's pfp appear'-)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
18:25 Aug 10, 2021

*darkness *spotlight on me *evil voice Well well well HELLO THERE

Reply

*darkness *evil voice *spotlight on moi HELLO THERE *spotlight breaks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:43 Aug 09, 2021

I love your new poem! <33 :DD

Reply

15:45 Aug 10, 2021

ywww <33

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:04 Jul 20, 2021

Hope you'll be back soon, Ame! 🎡You'll be back 🎡You will see 🎡You'll remember you belong to me (Just kidding, King George quoting)

Reply

:DDD thanks!! XDD <33

Reply

18:14 Jul 22, 2021

:) How are you?

Reply

14:12 Jul 23, 2021

Nice! My brother has a play today. I'm going to finally see all those lines he memorized! He got a lead role.

Reply

wow! good luck to him -> πŸ€

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:15 Jul 20, 2021

sgaywuququahagaqbgwywus

Reply

alsdhfjasdfasdgas h

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:19 Jul 07, 2021

SUP SIS

Reply

HELLO did you draw your pfp? :O

Reply

23:48 Jul 21, 2021

HIIIII HRU yussss :D

Reply

I'M GUD WBU you're so good at drawing oml

Reply

18:03 Jul 23, 2021

ALSO RLLY GOOD I’M ON PAGE 40 OF COLOR QUEST BOOK 3 NOW AFTER THREE DAYS SO THAT’S NICE LOL ackkkk thank you

Reply

OML GREAT JOB -> πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€ np <33 :o

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:23 Jul 02, 2021

Poem = πŸ”₯ TBR TBR TBR

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
11:33 Jun 30, 2021

Part 2 out!

Reply

I'll read it ASAP :) you're leaving? :< 😭😭😭😭

Reply

Sia S
02:31 Jul 02, 2021

:( I am, lol.

Reply

Sia S
04:10 Jul 22, 2021

aRe yOU?

Reply

fOr nOw bUt I'm gOiNg oN vAcAy fOr A wEeK sO I'LL dEpArt tHen

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:50 Jun 29, 2021

Oh, man. You literally made me cry at the end. In a short story, you really made the reader (meeeeeee) love Olive. You captured Asa and June's sibling relationship super well, as well as the way they felt about their precious Olive. Also, your description of June painting was fantastical. Keep writing! -b r o n a n a

Reply

21:21 Jun 29, 2021

No prob Ames! <3

Reply

:DDD luv your pfp lol XD

Reply

12:04 Jul 02, 2021

shank you lol McGonagall is a kweeeeeeeen

Reply

yaaaaaaaaaasssss have you watched all the Harry Potter movies?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:58 Jun 24, 2021

AME AME AME

Reply

HELLO YES HACKCOUGHHACK YES

Reply

19:22 Jun 27, 2021

HI

Reply

GOOD DAY FELLOW HUMAN

Reply

18:03 Jul 04, 2021

GOOD DAY TO YOU TO MADAME AMETHYST AHHHHHHHHHH FRIDAY. WAS. THE. BEST. ~SPICY SAUCY CHICKY WINGS~

Reply

THIS IS ALSO OLD BUT IKKKK

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
05:39 Jun 24, 2021

"going a lil' inactive :)" NOPE. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:52 Jun 22, 2021

Awwwww this was sad :( *!!!Long Comment Alert!!!* I love how you transitioned from her mixing the paint (I wonder if a recent conversation inspired that btw XD) and her painting the sunset to her brother playing with Olive. It was really cool to go back and forth, from the painting to the plot. Also, great descriptions for the paint! One of my favourite descriptions was: "Dabbing with the lavender she made, June created the clouds that added embellishment to the sky. She then highlighted them with the pink, and after it had partly dried,...

Reply

eeeee I was afraid people would poke at me for run on sentences, so I'll do that :< okay I'll add in another thingo eeee ooh I like that one, I'll just take that~~ thx!

Reply

17:36 Jun 23, 2021

I love how I type out a whole essay and I get two sentences in reply XD oh well it's still satisfying to look at my long comments XD anywhoo, kk! No problemo :D Also why are you "might delete"-ing this story? its great!

Reply

lol sorry ):) yes it is idk...idk. wrote it too fast?

Reply

17:57 Jun 24, 2021

???? no its so good! don't delete it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
12:34 Aug 09, 2021

Hi! Would you like to be in my Reedsycast? I know you're kinda inactive, so it's okay if you don't respond.

Reply

:O yes I would love to!!! thanks for asking me <3

Reply

13:21 Aug 10, 2021

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfGEWmL2BlUwEvt8kKxgV1zp5XgPsc4BKje3T0R3HLz3TeRMQ/viewform Here it is!

Reply

16:06 Aug 14, 2021

Which one was you? Sorry, I have a lot of new ones LOL

Reply

lol XD I think I was the noble with dark skin and green eyes...? I did it a few days ago so I forgot a bit lol

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
13:54 Aug 08, 2021

I loved the story and it was a great read and enjoyed the reading and it was constructed very well. Well done :))) Could you please read my story if possible :))

Reply

Thank you!!! <333 :D Yes! I'll get to it ASAP :)

Reply

Palak Shah
18:14 Aug 10, 2021

Thanks :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
10:10 Aug 08, 2021

I am going to be taking a break from Reedsy...check my bio for more.

Reply

oh, okay! Good luck with your UT's!!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
04:39 Aug 10, 2021

Yeah, done with the first one, only 5 more to go.

Reply

:DDD <333 wow 6 yikess

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
07:50 Aug 08, 2021

Ame. Your poem- Wow.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philia S
02:52 Jul 28, 2021

Hey, tell as many people as you can that Reedsy's updating this Thursday-Friday and to remember your password, because after it updates you'll need to know it to prove it's you and we don't want people getting locked out. So yeah. Please please PLEASE tell others about this!!! (from Dhwani Jain)

Reply

thanks!!! will do!

Reply

Philia S
05:28 Aug 07, 2021

It already updated yesterday :D All the updates are in FAQ =)

Reply

ooh thanks for the info :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
17:55 Jul 27, 2021

Hey, tell as many people as you can that Reedsy's updating this Thursday-Friday and to remember your password, because after it updates you'll need to know it to prove it's you and we don't want people getting locked out. So yeah. Please please PLEASE tell others about this!!! (from Dhwani Jain) Also, I saw your new poem and wow. it's coolio

Reply

:DD <33 thx! thxxx <3

Reply

TJ Squared
18:30 Aug 06, 2021

Actually, it is updated now Ehe Ofc :D

Reply

yeah lol ahhh I have to read all ur stories soon

Reply

TJ Squared
19:33 Aug 07, 2021

Take ur time, I’m going to be less active as well

Reply

just finished a marathon :D wHeW

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration β€” We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.