13 comments

Funny

"And that's how you write a novel. Ok guys, as always, I love you. Please click that bell and subscribe for more videos. I'm your host, Jailbait15, thanks for watching. XOXO…"

He placed the half-eaten drumstick on the armrest and licked his fingers clean. The word "foreshadowing" was added to a list titled "novel things."

"Hey guys, it's Nerdgasm, coming at you with another writing tutorial. Today I want to talk about social media presence."

After a few minutes, he opened a new Facebook account, with the "author" tagline next to his name.

"Instagram is a very powerful tool when it comes to marketing your book-"

He paused and created a new Instagram account. Took a selfie with his fat cat and uploaded it as a profile picture.

"What's shaking, booktube? I'm your host, SecretlyABro, bringing you grammar lessons over calm elevator music and wearing a Bill Cosby-sweater."

He wrote down something about past continuous tense. Furiously he clicked "skip add", tired of the same "let me give you some advice… The process of writing your second draft-." He never heard the end of that sentence.

"Hey, guys it's BustyOwl! Let me lean forward so you can get a better look at my tits. Also, notice the bookshelf: it's colored-coded, yaaay."

"Dear betas, welcome to my channel. I'm your friend, Soccer-Mom Rose™, and I wrote my book in first person. "

"Welcome, authors, to Book Drama. This week we trash talk well-known, successful writers so you and your indie friends feel safe. I'm wearing a lumberjack shirt but my hair and makeup took three hours and required a team of professionals. I look like a goddamn swimsuit model with my gorgeous face and tight body."

He watched the lengthy thirty-minute video, going back a few times to re-watch her bounce and giggle.

"Hi, my name is-"

The normal-looking girl swiftly disappeared with a click of the mouse. After spending the afternoon watching YouTube videos he finally opened his draft. Editing one or two lines invigorated the author. Just as he was about to try out the past continuous skill, his iPhone rang.

What Josh? I'm writing…Of course, I've been at it since morning. You know I don't like being asked that. You can't rush this process, Josh! It takes months for writers to draft their work.

He sighed.

I told you already: no one can read it until it's ready. Fuck you, who are you calling a beta? Oh, I thought you said...Nevermind, Of course, I know that. What do you take me for?!

He picks at the drumstick.

It was a joke, you fucking asshole! I was reading other people's work when you were still majoring in social studies. Yeah, don't worry I dropped out because I wanted to focus on my writing. All of the most powerful people in the world dropped out. Yes, they fucking did, Josh!

The author sighed again.

What do you want anyway? Oh God, not this again… Because your writing sucks dude that's why. Haha second draft, that's funny. I told you to scratch that pile of garbage. It's going nowhere. Do you call that fantasy?

He chuckled.

Oh man, that's rich. Your protagonist is so bland. What was his name? Ah yeah, Donovan; what a nerd's name. Irish!? Irish for what? Oh, piss off with that… No badass hero would be named fucking Donovan. Who the fuck speaks Irish anyway… Oh yeah dark lord, so edgy…Look Josh I've told you not to bother me with your shitty book again. If you want my help then listen to my advice once in a while.

He quickly opened his notes.

Any good story has foreshadowing. Ever heard of that? Yeah, I bet you have… Listen carefully because I'm giving you this for free. Those writing courses I've told you about, yeah. You idiot, I don't leave my house because they're online courses. God, do you want my wisdom or what? Ok, listen carefully: you hint in the very first paragraph the way Edgelord or whatever is going to die. Eh!? That's something, right? You're welcome. Hey come to think of it, you could do me a favor. Buy me a burger, I'm starving. Oh come on man, have a heart. I told you I'm in between jobs now. Great, drive over as soon as possible. Oh and Josh...Bring that manuscript of yours. I'll take a look at it, but I can't promise you anything. You're welcome, now hurry up, I'm starving.

He smacked his lips eagerly awaiting his prized burger. Struggling to stand he restocked on fizzy drinks from the kitchen. The fly-infested pile of dishes kept him from spending more than a minute at a time in there. The notification popped up and sent jolts through his heart. He checked the calendar, it was time. Tapping the freshly uploaded video the author hunched over his phone. Just as he was about to enjoy more Jailbait15 content, his mom texted.

What, mom? I'm busy. Writing. It was going well until you interrupted me. When you come home you have to do the dishes. No, you do it. So what, I'm your son.

The last line of text enraged him.

I've sent my resume to four places. No. You go out. They'll call me soon, don't worry. Stop it. I'm a writer, I don't work lame jobs. Shut up, don't text me anymore. We'll talk when you get home. Buy soda.

The author finally was able to relax, listening to the girl's soft voice, staring intensely at her face. He followed her channel for over two years now, never missed a video. She even liked his comment one time. The author couldn't help notice how her body changed over the years. The way her satin blouse gently touched those newly formed tits stirred wild emotions inside his pants. She probably was the first to inspire him to start writing. Because of her videos, he was able to spew out a draft; something about a detective who could talk to the dead and had a black belt in karate.

He locked the door, closed the blinds, checked the time. He still had five to ten minutes until Josh would arrive.

Let's see if you foreshadowed this, babe…

August 13, 2020 17:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Hriday Saboo
14:13 Aug 24, 2020

Wow brilliant story. I have submitted my new story Pls read it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amogh Kasat
12:52 Aug 24, 2020

It's a wonderful story! Please read my latest story The Secret Organisation { Part 2 }

Reply

Show 0 replies
Harken Void
09:02 Aug 20, 2020

Hahahaha, oh man, you've got such a distinctive writing voice that it's awe-inspiring! I cringed throughout this story - not at your writing, but at the accuracy of its content. I'm afraid many young writers or those who fancy themselves writers, are doing what the Author in this story did. Your examples of YouTubers were so creative! And the twist with 'foreshadowing' at the end... Loved it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Keerththan 😀
14:59 Aug 19, 2020

Wonderful story about a you tuber. Nice beginning. Well written, Miles. Keep writing. Would you mind reading my new story “Secrets don’t remain buried?”

Reply

Show 0 replies
Deborah Angevin
10:25 Aug 17, 2020

The opening part grabbed my attention right away! I haven't seen any story that starts with the Youtuber's intro/outro... P.S: would you mind checking my recent story out, "Grey Clouds"? Thank you :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lata B
23:39 Aug 13, 2020

Oh! I love this! You did a great job catching the reader's attention in the first sentence!

Reply

Batool Hussain
07:44 Aug 14, 2020

I totally agree with Lata! This is amazing, Miles. I'm so glad that you're writing again:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rambling Beth
17:32 Aug 20, 2020

I loved this! Very funny and entertaining. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Blane Britt
11:46 Aug 20, 2020

Nice Story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Avery G.
16:34 Aug 19, 2020

Wonderful story! I loved it! Great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Roger Scypion
02:19 Feb 26, 2023

Fantastic story, engaging throughout with the perfect amount of humor. You pegged the writer's muse being the computer and the personalities we subscribe to for inspiration.

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
05:43 Oct 13, 2020

Please read my story “The dragon warrior part 2?”

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
05:54 Aug 31, 2020

Hilarious story.Great job👍keep it up.I enjoyed the story. Well written. Would you mind to read my story “The dragon warrior?”

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.