Schweissfuss Rebuffed

Submitted into Contest #180 in response to: Write about someone whose luck is running out.... view prompt

26 comments

Drama Funny Friendship

 Schlumping a pile of books, trinkets and a very good cashmere twinset, she barged into Mrs.McGillicuddy’s always-open front door and wrenched aside the flimsy opening to my makeshift study. Shocked, I turned just in time to receive the full brunt of the load aimed at my head. Every gift I’d given her including the ruby ring without the stone.


“.......... Don’t try to contact me ever again” she snapped.

.............Don’t worry, I won’t” yelling as she left in high dudgeon. ●


But I didn’t mean a word. She was Rosie, my fiancee and I adored her.

++++

Hans and Moshe my roommates were moving to Chicago for a job upgrade. Not being able to afford the apartment on my own and Rosie didn’t think we were yet ready for marriage,I had to move to something cheaper.


Albert Fahrt clearly needed help. I owed that guy such a lot, and felt obligated to be there for him. I took his name in a moment of youthful bravado, masquerading as Albert Schweissfuss at Ellis Island and passing through Immigration to a new and bright future.


Little did I know how fleeting are the streams of good luck. Nor how quickly they can evaporate .


All immigrants have to work hard in the beginning, specially non English speakers. Fahrt took extra night classes and a daytime job as security guard. The uniform was ill fitting and the heavy shoes were so wide his feet looked cartoonish.


Monotonous and grim his duties were standing for hours at a steel door to prevent unauthorized personnel from entering or walking around and around ugly factory buildings looking for anything suspicious.


It wasn’t enough practice for his English, the thing that was holding him back. As much as I was working hard myself at studying law, I tried to help telling jokes. Having to explain the punch line to a German got tedious. The best way, and I recommend this method, was the films. Not too pricey, we’d have a great time afterward discussing the plot, the movie stars, Fahrt especially loved the organ. He was delighted with his progress and I was even happier.


++++


Comfortable and cheap with ensuite facilities stated the newspaper advert of Mrs. McGillicuddy’s attic in Bay Ridge Brooklyn


It was one room with curtained toilet and shower. Kitchen facilities was a two burner hot plate. Two futons separated by a dresser completed the rest of the furnishings. The futon was too short for Fahrt. He complained nightly and loudly of the cold as his big bare feet splayed out from the bottom of the bed. I often wondered if his blood by the time it reached his extremities was underperforming. It did have a long way to travel.


 Munrospun, my employer, was underwriting my night school classes. I was enrolled in law school with the intention and guarantee I would work to repay the debt. Generosity and opportunities were many for immigrants. Understandably this was a two way street. Fahrt and I both forged lasting friendships at work and never forgot to extend a hand to other newcomers.



A cramped space under the stairs on the first floor became my study.A recent neighborhood garage sale produced a well used ink stained pine table, chair, a gooseneck lamp with a long cord snaking out into the hall to the nearest wall socket, and a three tier metal book shelf. All for four dollars, three fifty if the seller didn’t have to deliver. A refuge for quiet study it even had a flimsy door which partially closed due to the electrical cord.


++++


Fahrt’s arrival home minutes after Rosie’s departure was timely. We both went to the corner bar and got soused. Trying to cheer my misery, Fahrt began to tell jokes.

“ what lies between fear and sex? Funf

It was the way he doubled over in mirth that I found funny. As we staggered a little, only yards from home, I asked him for the title of the shortest book ever written:

”Two hundred years of German humor”.

He didn’t flinch. However on seeing the soft wool twin set his face lit up.


Too drunk to care, I nodded motioning to take it. He slept peacefully from then on with his big flippers encased in expensive cashmere bed socks.


Aqua to match her eyes, I was forever tormented by the sight. Instead of draping Rosie’s magnificent bosom they were crowning the big lug’s ample feet.

:::::::

The first signs my lucky streak was beginning to blow was the time Fahrt decided we should go to Germantown to partake of something called gemuetlich.


Handkase mit musik was the chalkboard speciality, washed down with apfelwein. I can’t say it was as tasty as corned beef, cabbage and a pint of Guinness but he was happy with my faked delight. Ordering a second helping Fahrt looked enquiringly at me.


Declining with a rueful grin, patting my tummy “Nein Danke ich bin full,”I lied.


Meeting Rosie afterward we went to the moving pictures to see Gone With The Wind


For some time Rosie had been chilly towards me. I sensed it and couldn’t understand. At the funeral I caught the suspicious glances of her Aunts who were steering her towards a toff. A debonair Harvard boy. I was no match for a Boston Brahmin


“Faint heart never won fair lady”


Yes, I hear you, but it’s only an empty saying .


Rosie’s dad had died suddenly and she inherited a tidy nest egg. Her mother had died much earlier. She was a Catholic as was Rosie. Her dad was a lifelong agnostic.


Accompanying Rosie to the funeral parlor was a big mistake. The place felt claustrophobic with a pervading smell of

lemon scented beeswax and woodbine cigarettes. The banality of the service annoyed me. A place where no one uttered the word die. Evidently they bury you when you fall asleep.


 Some poncey fellow asked if I didn’t agree the speaker was so beautiful in his remembrances: ......


“well I never heard so many words spewing from so little thought”. Rosie heard me.


That was when the earth shook. Stomping out with me following like a scolded puppy, she turned ,her eyes quite cold:

..”......I’ll have to think things over Albert” she usually called me Al. Then she strode off into the crowded street.


The slow walk home was the worst I had ever felt, even at my lowest on the immigrant ship. I had never imagined I could feel such lighthearted joy as when I first met Rosie. My run of good luck was spent and dragging me down were the ashes of my dreams.

:::;;

Two years later Albert Fahrt was speaking English well enough to get hired at a busy sports shop catering to outsize men. He was perfectly placed and had turned in his security guard badge and uniform for ever. We moved from Brooklyn .


Fahrt and Weiss, the names were stenciled on our joint mailbox in a trendy midtown Manhattan apartment building. We gave them a polish with the sleeves of our fashionable summer weight linen blazers as we sauntered out into a bright early evening on the town

Do I think of Rosie? Is there a chance we might reconcile? Who knows? Do I still care for her. Of course and that will never change.



January 09, 2023 23:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Graham Kinross
12:49 Jan 30, 2023

“we went to the moving pictures to see Gone With The Wind,” so did everyone else apparently. Adjusting for inflation it’s the highest grossing film ever made. This feels like a To be continued… you can leave it like that? We need answers. If it doesn’t happen with Rosie? Who?

Reply

Mary Lehnert
15:45 Jan 30, 2023

Graham, How can I thank you. You are the kick I need to continue.

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:44 Jan 31, 2023

Glad to be of help. Always keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marty B
07:18 Jun 18, 2023

Interesting story of immigrants striving for the American dream- I liked the imagery of this line- 'We gave them a polish with the sleeves of our fashionable summer weight linen blazers as we sauntered out into a bright early evening on the town'

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tommy Goround
23:44 Jan 27, 2023

I liked how the audio voice kept saying fart instead of "funt" using an audio reader. UK voice. I keep looking for a German joke book.

Reply

Mary Lehnert
00:26 Jan 28, 2023

You’ll look a long time Tommy. Don’t quite get the pronunciation switch. However Thankyou so much for reading and commenting. Also congrats on the recent shortlist.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Jenkins
14:40 Jan 19, 2023

The "fear and sex" part was the one that got me. This is a very exciting story. There is always something going on.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
21:50 Jan 18, 2023

A bitter turn of luck for Al, this time around :) Though not all is lost, with his growing friendship with other Al, and his professional development. Maybe a funeral isn't the best time for criticisms, but it's also odd it set off such a series of events. Seems like Rosie's holding something back, or maybe she was never fully committed. Or jitters? Wicked aunts? Hard to say, since we only see the story from one POV. "what lies between fear and sex? Funf" lol :D The end looks bright in all ways but one. It's been years, but he still car...

Reply

Mary Lehnert
22:44 Jan 18, 2023

You understand how conflict is necessary in character development. I learn so much from writers like you. Maybe a bit beyond my capabilities but I would like to see a much longer story one day. May I ask if you have written any books. Forgive my ignorance if you have.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:04 Jan 19, 2023

Conflict is critical, yes :) Whether subtle or overt. In a way, writing is cruel, because we make our poor characters suffer so. I have a pile of unpublished manuscripts. Some are unpublishable, and the rest need heavy editing. And like no doubt many writers, I have a mountain of ideas, snippets, and started projects. Definitely give a larger story a try! It's a different kind of beast, and a huge amount of work, but can be very fun and rewarding :)

Reply

Mary Lehnert
23:16 Jan 19, 2023

Thank you Michal I will just have to try a book now.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
06:58 Jan 18, 2023

I think Reedsy in many ways is a great platform to " serialise" a longer work you're aiming at: you've got a dedicated and kind readership; the word limit sort of works to chapter lengths. Downside is having to weave in the recap and of course it's hard everyweek to hit the prompt and deliver the arc of the short story, things like complications and climaxes can go as you don't get them every chapter in a book length narrative. That said, I enjoyed the developing characterisation which I recall from a couple of weeks back. I've more than a ...

Reply

Mary Lehnert
11:23 Jan 18, 2023

Of course you are right , Rebecca. I’ve realised the problem of trying to keep facts straight. incorporate the prompt yet continue the story. I’m going off weekly Reedsy to try to write something longer. It’s a legacy for my kids and family . I too came here via England my home via New Zealand. Met and married a German boy in New York . The German references are all from him. Handkase is prevalent in northern Germany. Always a big joke as us Limburger for the rotten smell. How wonderful to think of having a Vienese( sp) pastry and coffee w...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
03:09 Jan 15, 2023

Definitely following along as Albert's story continues... I liked the joke, "What lies between fear and sex? Funf." It took me a minute to decipher, then I laughed out loud. Nice one, Mary!

Reply

Mary Lehnert
03:50 Jan 15, 2023

Chris, I’ve been waiting for a comment from you, and you never disappoint. What a support group we have on this network. Thank you so much.

Reply

Chris Campbell
05:08 Jan 15, 2023

I too love the support network on here; however, my story this week still hasn't been added to this week's contest. It's a common thing each week with my stories. Feedback and likes are helpful and are always looked forward to, but I sometimes wonder that I miss out on some when approved late.

Reply

Mary Lehnert
05:35 Jan 15, 2023

I learned this lesson too, Chris. The deadline doesn’t mean much. The trick is early submission when there’s still time to correct. I get so much from the comments. Especially the cryptic kind. Sometimes I go ahead, submit then spend the next week on corrections. I’ll bet many others do. Thought of you when Prince Harry’s memoir mentioned his “todger”. how about rhyming slang “artful dodger”. Cheers. Mary

Reply

Chris Campbell
05:55 Jan 15, 2023

Well, he can't call it William, can he... 🤣 Lately, work has been delaying my submissions. Like you, I try to submit early, then re-write before the deadline.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
17:27 Jan 14, 2023

I enjoyed your story. It has a real feel of comradeship in adversity and the dreams of making a new life.

Reply

Mary Lehnert
17:30 Jan 14, 2023

Thankyou Helen. How soon we forget that we all arrived from somewhere else.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
10:12 Jan 12, 2023

The continuing story of Albert and...Albert! I love this series you have, Mary. It's all so heartwarming and sad and deliriously funny. "Evidently they bury you when you fall asleep." I think I woke my wife up at that because I was laughing so hard. Another masterful tale, Mary. Nicely done.

Reply

Mary Lehnert
14:38 Jan 12, 2023

From carping about my punctuation we’ve come a long way Delbert, Who needs to win when there’s you. Love those kind words. friend

Reply

Delbert Griffith
15:10 Jan 12, 2023

Carping. I like that word. I apologize if I was a grammar bitch in the past; I have given up those misguided ways. On a serious note, your writing blows me away. You have a masterful way of telling a tale that's imbued with depth and character and texture. Your tales are memorable and enlightening. Consider me a fan, my friend.

Reply

Mary Lehnert
15:12 Jan 12, 2023

Perfect.!! Mary

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
03:13 Jan 10, 2023

Oh heck yeah, Schweissfuss is back! I was so tickled when I saw this on my feed. :) "Evidently they bury you when you fall asleep." lol Love your dry humor! This feels ripe for more parts, which I can't wait to read. Loved it!

Reply

Mary Lehnert
03:18 Jan 10, 2023

And you are the best. Thankyou so much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.