36 comments

Contemporary Sad American

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

CW: gun violence (not graphic)


Wake up, Mr. Woodridge. Open your eyes. Come on, open them up. 


I see you’re confused and—now, there’s no need to be rude. The chains are there for a reason. Please don’t struggle, you’ll only hurt yourself. Listen, and I’ll explain.


Feel free to take a drink of water. There’s a bottle to your left. 


There was no need to do that. You will be thirsty later. 


Sit still, please, stop shouting. You can’t get out and I really don’t want to hurt you. 


I don’t mean for this to be frightening, but I needed you to listen. You are a very important man, Mr. Woodridge, and I understand that there are things you need to attend to. Listen, and I’ll let you go.


Three years ago, you ran for mayor. I remember your campaign slogan: “Listen to the people, be the people.” You spoke so eloquently, so forcefully and passionately about helping those who could not help themselves.


I thought that you were that one of a kind politician, the kind that speaks truthfully and intends on following through. 


But all those speeches didn’t mean anything to you, did it? 


I have resorted to this ugly measure because you have proven that you will not listen unless forced to. 


You will listen now and listen well. 


Do you have any children, Mr. Woodridge? Two? What are their names? 


John and Halle, a brother and sister. Did they like music? 


Ah. Athletes. Athleticism is a gift, I’m sure you’re proud of them. 


Well, my children had music. 


When my children were very young, I went to Goodwill and bought some classical CD’s and a Baby Einstein one too. I think it’s generally thought that music makes children “smarter,” but I thought of it more as enrichment, a positive addition that may or may not have a positive effect.  


I played it for the first time right after I came home. My children didn’t seem to like or dislike it, they simply listened for a bit then continued on with what they were doing. My little boy, my son (he was, maybe, eight months at the time), liked to chew on things. I remember constantly taking spoons, books, bowls, everything out of his mouth. Binkies only seemed to annoy him and I found them on the floor in every room. 


Did your son do that? How about your daughter? I bet she was a handful, my girl was.  


My daughter was less destructive, but much more loud. She loved to bang things together and she’d laugh and laugh. She used to curl her toes and only stick out the big toe. So cute. She was vocal too, always babbling and gurgling and making noises to make sure I knew she was there. She was just beginning to speak, saying “Mama” and “Dada.” 


I’m getting off track. 


Anyways, I gave up on the CD’s after a week or so. And then a few weeks later, I put on the radio while I was doing the dishes. They were on the floor, in a little pen with their toys and blankets.


You know the song “I’ll Come Running Back to You?” It’s quite old, maybe a 20’s or 30’s song. Sam Cooke sings it. 


It’s okay if you don’t know it. The first part goes like this:


Folks said that you found someone new

To do the things I used to do for you

Just call my name, I'm not ashamed

I'll come running back to you


Good, right? It’s sad and happy and all those deep emotions that you feel rather than understand. 


That song was playing and I turned around and saw my children sitting up as straight as their pudgy bodies could, listening to the song. It was almost scary, they were so quiet and so attentive. 


That song, “I’ll Come Running Back to You,” became our song. My husband burned the song onto a CD. Even as babies, they would cry until we played it, so we kept it on a loop, playing it over and over again. My husband and I learned it and sang them to sleep.  


You would think that we would get sick of it, but we never did. 


Oh, you’re shaking. I know it’s cold down here, but it’s a good thing. The cold will keep you awake. 

I still can’t take the chains off, please don’t ask again. 


Brothers and sisters have a reputation for being distant with each other. Are your children like that? They bicker a lot, don't they?


My children were the exception. They loved each other. My daughter was a sister and a second mother to my son. She’d put band-aids on his little ouchies and sing our song to him when she was a bit older. That song, as much as me and my husband loved it, became a song of worship to them. They sang it together as they played, playing with the rhythm and beat until the song became their own. They sang in high-pitched voices like chipmunks or went low to mimic a growly old man. 


My daughter went to elementary school, and my son joined her the following year. I think they enjoyed school. They had the typical petty squabbles with classmates and scraped knees and managed to trudge through their homework each night. My son found friends with similar interests in animation and video games, and my daughter joined the orchestra to learn how to play the song they loved so much. She played the violin. I took them to birthday parties with too-sweet cake and cheap party hats and celebrated their own birthdays with equal excess.


They were happy, regular children with good people around them and a good life ahead of them. 


I can see it on your face. You know why you’re here. So, let me continue before our time is up. 


That teenager broke past the security guard. He made his way from one building to the next without anybody stopping him. Now, that part is not your fault. He made his way into a classroom, gun in hand, and shot his first victims. The police were called, students and teachers with phones in neighboring classrooms locked their doors and called 911 over and over again. 


Shots were fired again 15 minutes after the first. The police arrived and nothing happened. They were still calling 911 inside. Finally, one SWAT team was deployed to enter the building. They cleared out one classroom, came out, and didn’t go back in. 


The shooter fired on another classroom before killing himself. That’s when the police decided that maybe, just maybe, they should enter the building and rescue everyone inside. 


16 people were killed that day. Four teachers, 12 students. 


This is where you come in. I didn’t know it then, but you ordered the SWAT team inside with some very specific instructions: save your children first


You didn’t tell them to get as many people outside as possible, or even start at the classrooms nearest to the exit. You prioritized the lives of your children over the lives of others who were equally vulnerable and equally loved.


The news had a field day with you, didn’t they? Although, I feel that you’re mourning your lost reelection campaign rather than the consequences of your actions. 


I’m glad that your children are alive, I truly am. But I am angry. 


You had the gall to give a speech even after the news came out. Your children, John and Halle, were up there with you and your wife. You spoke about loss, about the tragedy in our community. You spoke about how lucky you were that your children were still here. You spoke as if you didn’t play a part in the tragedy and then you had the audacity to offer condolences to the parents who lost their children.


I’m one of those parents. I watched your speech, listened. You put your hands on your children’s shoulders and knew that their hearts beat and their bodies thrummed with life. And I thought, I will never touch my children like that again. I will never hold their hands and feel them squeeze back, never hug them and feel their sticky cheeks pressed against mine. 


They are cold now. Dead. 


Don’t say you’re sorry. Nobody means it when they say it. “Sorry” is simply our sole and inadequate phrase for mourning.  


The surviving teacher in my son’s classroom told me that my son and daughter died together. My daughter heard the first shots and ran to her brother. And then the teacher told me this: 


My daughter sang. She sang to her brother, singing the last verse over and over again. 


I try to forget, had no regrets

This love of us could always start anew

Just call my name, wooh, I know I'm not ashamed

I'll come running back to you


It was her favorite part, the ending of the song. 


Ironic, right, that she was singing it when her life ended? 


I don’t have much else to say to you. I don’t have the energy to be angry with you anymore. I’ve said what I wanted. Honestly, the world would benefit from your death. I want to kill you. 

But I won’t. 


This gun is not for you. 


I will call the police, they will come get you. 


When they arrive, tell them that the key to the cuffs is in my pocket and that there is a letter in there as well. 


Give it to my husband and tell him that I love him. And that I’m sorry. 


June 09, 2022 08:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

36 comments

Michał Przywara
20:53 Jun 13, 2022

Great story, on a horrible, heartbreaking topic. The pain of the parent is palpable, and her actions completely understandable. Calling out the (lack of) response is appropriate. But what I like most here is, the children really come through strong. They are not a prop in this story, they *are* the story. It's important to remember that all of them were real humans. The main feelings I get are of crushing disappointment, of betrayal, and of a kind of stunned inability to make any sense of this pointless crime. Thanks for sharing this.

Reply

S.K. Wulf
03:22 Jun 14, 2022

hey michal, i definitely developed the children because we see the deaths on the news and it feels more like a number than actually people dying senselessly. I'm glad it resonated with you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sophia Gavasheli
16:32 Sep 03, 2022

Woah, I am still reeling from the ending. I really did not know where this story was going and then I read the part about the shooter and I was like, OMG, nononono, the kids, nonono. The tragedy and the grief are so palpable in the story; it really hit me, especially the last line. The details about the shooting are so specific and yet vague too; it really goes to show that this could happen anywhere, to anyone. Well done, really well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
L. E. Scott
23:35 Aug 13, 2022

Oh my god this is so tragic and so well written. You can really feel the pain.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tommy Goround
10:27 Jul 29, 2022

Wow.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mark Sheehan
00:41 Jun 22, 2022

Wow. Ripped from the headlines with a twist. Great work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Crows_ Garden
01:40 Jun 17, 2022

As I started reading, I was a bit confused where this was going.. With the warning, I thought the narrator was going to have Mr. Woodridge, k#ll himself. But the story took a different turn. I've watched plenty of crime shows, and my heart just dropped when the narrator told why they did it. I honestly started crying. It reminded me of that school shooting, in Texas. It's terrifying seeing all of this unfold, as a teenager now having a better view on the world. It's such a common thing, shootings(especially if you're in America..) And I enj...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Gregg Punger
14:31 Jun 15, 2022

Great story. I really like the ending. I believe we must continue to talk about the senselessness of gun violence if we want something to happen.

Reply

S.K. Wulf
23:21 Jun 15, 2022

exactly, thank you gregg!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Samantha Cullen
12:28 Jun 15, 2022

Goosebumps. What a wonderful, heartbreaking, story, thank you so much for sharing.

Reply

S.K. Wulf
23:20 Jun 15, 2022

thank you samantha!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Steve Uppendahl
19:39 Jun 14, 2022

What is most upsetting about this to me is that it's not unrealistic. I wish it was. Normally, I wouldn't think police would follow orders to save certain children over others. But, then Uvalde happened and anything is possible. I have the same feelings about shootings as you (especially with four daughters and my wife and me being teachers ourselves). Write on, Piper.

Reply

S.K. Wulf
19:47 Jun 14, 2022

thank you for commenting steve :) i feel for anyone who has to go to school and fears a shooting at any time

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kayla Keiser
03:47 Jun 14, 2022

I hope you'll enjoy my stories😃

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sharon Hancock
01:23 Jun 13, 2022

Wow. This is so powerful! Everything about it…the format, the characters , the one sided dialogue is all just amazing. You might have won this week, too. The writing is just so good!😻

Reply

S.K. Wulf
05:09 Jun 13, 2022

thank you so much sharon!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:32 Jun 13, 2022

Piper, this format is amazing The approach has a very monologue feel to it, and I love that so much. It was very emotive, but also very intriguing, so I was interested all the way through! And the twist at the end was well done. 👏👏👏

Reply

S.K. Wulf
05:09 Jun 13, 2022

thank you hannah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shea West
18:29 Jun 12, 2022

Piper, I see this story has hit the rec list! You're appearing to be a crowd/fan favorite. Here's what I liked about the format that you used... It was very stream of consciousness as if she were speaking to herself, but we know she isn't. I think what works well here is how you don't allow the man's voice to come. through. It's very much implied how he responds, but we the reader don't want to hear him anyway. You played with that balance well. Terribly sad is an understatement. Because it's also implied that she leaves this earth too....

Reply

S.K. Wulf
22:25 Jun 12, 2022

the ending is so terrible that i considered changing it, but i ultimately thought it was appropriate for it to be so tragic. i don’t think there are many, if any, happy endings after such tragic events, so the story reflects that thank you again for your kind words shea :)

Reply

Shea West
22:47 Jun 12, 2022

No, it needed to be that heavy. Because that's real life. You did great!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kayla Keiser
16:00 Jun 14, 2022

John and Halle. Even his own kids... Mr. 😤. Wow.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Zelda C. Thorne
18:23 Jun 12, 2022

Wow, this is really powerful. Loved the choice of song and the whole POV was cleverly done/revealed. Well done on another great story. I'm feeling all the emotions with this one!

Reply

S.K. Wulf
22:23 Jun 12, 2022

thank you so much rachel!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ace Quinnton
15:16 Jun 12, 2022

My questions bubble up to the surface again, with only a few thoughts in mind: Why do shooters...shoot people? For what good reason could they explain how they felt without putting it into violence? As the curious type of person, I'm always questioning the bad things that happen in our world. Some of those questions I have an answer to, while other times, I don't. You've written this story with either 1) empathy, to put yourself into the shoes of another parent who lost their kid on that very fateful day, or 2) You are speaking from exper...

Reply

S.K. Wulf
22:21 Jun 12, 2022

I wrote this story out of anger because shootings are senseless to me as well and I was disappointed by the lack of response to it. I’m glad that it invoked similar emotions from you, thank you for reaching out!

Reply

Ace Quinnton
23:51 Jun 12, 2022

No problem. But the fact that there is a lack of response to a school shooting IS a problem and should be taken care of immediately. This is completely unacceptable. Someone should do something. Someone within the government should do something about this.

Reply

S.K. Wulf
03:23 Jun 14, 2022

I'm hopeful that sometime in the future the law will change, but it's definitely not happening soon (which is infuriating)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kayla Keiser
16:01 Jun 14, 2022

I agree.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Ashley Paige
18:02 Jun 10, 2022

Piper, I came here after reading your winning story from last week. What a heartbreaking story. Thank you for putting the world's anger into words we all wish we could say.

Reply

S.K. Wulf
21:44 Jun 10, 2022

thank you so much for reading ashley, that was exactly my intention and i'm glad it touched you so deeply

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michaela Dennean
16:17 Jun 10, 2022

this story was so well written and evoked the heartbreak that our world is facing today. thank you for this beautiful work.

Reply

S.K. Wulf
21:44 Jun 10, 2022

thank you for your kind words michaela :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jay McKenzie
00:08 Jun 10, 2022

Oh Piper! This destroyed me! Wow, what a heartbreaking, powerful and incredibly timely story. The use of the song is a powerful motif. I'm crying with my baby sleeping on my lap. Incredible. Well done.

Reply

S.K. Wulf
05:58 Jun 10, 2022

i'm glad that this touched you so deeply jay, i definitely wanted it to reflect the real-life heartbreak in the aftermath of the uvalde shooting

Reply

Jay McKenzie
07:04 Jun 10, 2022

So powerful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.