139 comments

Funny High School Teens & Young Adult

(Author's Note: This is a collaborative project I did with Orenda! If you haven't read her stories you should. It was a blast and I hope you all enjoy. Orenda, we should do this again sometime soon!)

The school halls were chock full of kids back from summer vacation. Five, though, were missing from the celebration. They were sitting in the football field, spreading whipped cheese on the ground and waiting for the crows to arrive. It was a tradition they had, every first school day they would charge their phones, bring snacks and blankets, and head out to the largest field in town. They would sing campfire songs and tell B-rated horror stories under a starry small town sky. They were The Compadres, a group of five kids who had been best friends since kindergarten, and today was no different for them until it was, almost irrevocably so. 

Orenda and Amany were in charge of the whipped cheese,

Rhonny and Aerin were on the lookout for the crows,

And Vayd was watching Sherlock on his yoga mat. 

It was a beautiful scene and yet they were bored. They had done this same thing for so long, almost seventeen years, and they were just about fed up with it. Amany threw her sunflower seeds on the ground and everyone looked up at her.

“Why don’t we do something else today? Why don’t we actually go to school instead of sitting out in this trashy field?” There literally was trash rolling by, seeing as Amany had just littered two seconds ago. She was worried her parents would be upset if they knew she was spending her first day of junior year in a football field. They didn’t even like her friends that much already; they’d been encouraging her to join the beta club for new ones for as long as she could remember. 

Aerin rolled her eyes and threw the whipped cheese can across the field at Amany.  “Duddddde,” she said, with way too much emphasis on the last four d’s, “No one here wants to go into that building today. We’ll go tomorrow, like always.” 

“And that’s the thing! We always do this.” Amany looked to her other friends for support. “Who’s bored?” 

Rhonny raised her hand and grinned. “I am! I’ve been meaning to say this, but, um, I have a thing with someone today that does, you know, require me to be in that building over there.” She pointed at the cafeteria. 

Vayd stood up, dropping his phone in the short grass. “Rhonny. You didn’t.” 

Rhonny grinned, pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose. “Oh, I most certainly did.” 

Orenda crossed her arms and stared at Rhonny and Vayd. “What are you guys talking about? This has nothing to do with the clown parade, does it?” 

“Nooo. It doesn’t, I promise.” Rhonny picked up her backpack and started walking backwards towards the campus building, dark and starkly gray against the clear fall sky. Vayd followed, vowing to finish his movie later, and Amany was glad they had somewhat taken charge of the situation. She never liked to be bossy, but Rhonny took no issue with it. Aerin had paid for the whipped cheese, so she was more upset that they hadn’t finished their stupid tradition. What better thing did they have to do inside, anyway? Wasn’t the first day of school all ice breakers and get to know you slide shows for people you had known since you were five and like three random kids who were unfortunate enough to move schools that year? 

“Ah, my hand feels so light now.” Rhonda returned back to the field shortly after, massaging her reddened knuckles. Vayd followed behind, often turning back to the worn out kids who glared at Rhonda like she was some mafia gang leader.

  “Brooo, you really did beat up the kids, didn’t you?” Orenda yelled and sprang up.

 “Hell yeah, I just did!” Rhonda smirked and dabbed awkwardly at which Orenda and Vayd shot each other glances and instantly covered their mouths, trying to control their outburst.

 “Man, you could’ve told me you were going to do that! I’ve been working hard for this day.” Orenda said, sounding a little disappointed.

 “Guys!” Aerin sprang up. “Amany and I have planned out a perfect day.”

 “Dude, what?” Vayd mumbled and sat under the shade, setting the laptop on his lap. “I….better watch Sherlock. No Netflix no life. If you’re not watching Netflix, you might as well just go and burn in the hellhole, that is, the school.”

 He had been sincere about Netflix ever since he lost the ‘Netflix vs Prime’ battle with his friends and it was his best buddy, so he couldn’t imagine living without his Sherlock and Netflix.

“No, you have to listen,” Amany uttered and stood next to Aerin. “We’re going to the nearest ghost town and explore it and have fun for as long as possible.”

 “Yes! We sure do enjoy observing weird kids and their shenanigans. Rhonda and Orenda love watching Quarterbacks flex their muscles. Vayd can’t leave his dear Sherlock alone. BUT today, you three have to listen to us and do as we say.”

All three of them gawked at Aerin and Amany, appalled by how enthusiastic they were.

“So be it!” Rhonda shouted. “I do declare this a day to remember!” 

“Arrghhh!” Orenda bellowed, followed by an exaggerated cough.

~

The wheels painfully screeched against the rough, gravel road, frequently driving over the huge rocks and bumping the passengers’ heads into the car roof.

  “Who the heck is driving so marvelously?” Vayd said, irked because the rash driving kept interrupting his nap. 

 “Heh, it’s Orenda.” Aerin scoffed and got back to her rainbow mobile game.

Rhonda held her favourite book of poems in her hands which she had almost read for the hundredth time. She had also learnt her most loved quotes by heart. Amany was having the best time of her life in the car; inspiration for her new Grant Gustin fanfiction seemed to supply her with endless ideas. It was the nature and the long drives that helped her come up with fabulous scenarios. Her being a popular and an adored fanfic writer was no joke!  

  “Bruh, I just forgot something.” Orenda spoke up all of a sudden and said loudly.

       “I swear, I’ll beat you up one day if you don’t stop that habit of yours,” Rhonda said and giggled, drowning into her mystical world of poems once again. “What’s it?”

 “I have a lot of snacks and drinks in the trunk. A whole lot of them. Didn't mean to keep a secret, haha.”

Amany’s ears perked up like a rabbit at the fun revelation. Pulling out a huge bag of an assortment of yummies, hands dug into it except Vayd who was still enjoying his beauty nap. Rhonda opened a packet of oreos and placed a piece right in front of his flared nose. The sweetness of it flared his nose even more; he jolted up and burst into peals of laughter with the others.

Everyone grabbed onto their snacks and coke. Aerin and Amany gulped down four cans of coke each. Orenda knew how crazy both of them were over coke, so she surely couldn’t miss out on the number of cans they needed. She loved Ferrero Rocher and could live her life on them. She remembered how ‘expensive’ they were when she was a kid and how her mother wouldn’t let her buy the big boxes. Rhonda chewed on waffle-shaped jellies. Everyone at school, even the teachers, knew waffles were the love of her life. Any snack that resembled waffles would steal her heart right away. And, Vayd’s eyes kept shutting as he puffed his cheeks with oreos.

 “It’s music time!” Rhonda squealed. Orenda plugged in the flash drive into the USB port and increased the volume to the maximum.

“Billie Jean is not my lover

She's just a girl who claims that I am the one

But the kid is not my son

She says I am the one, but the kid is not my son…”   

   The compadres sang at the top of their lungs, their unattractive melodies not bothering them. Blobs of bright light expanded across the night sky as they popped their heads out the windows and shut their eyes as a cold breeze fanned across their faces. 

They’d sing more, but were interrupted by someone.

  “Uhh...Orenda stop the car please, I need to whizz,” Aerin said, her eyebrows furrowed, and wiggled her little finger.

All of them giggled at how cute Aerin sounded when she was embarrassed. Orenda found a gas station and pulled the car to a halt almost too suddenly causing the Sleeping Saint to topple over. Aerin stepped out and dashed toward the store while the others got out and stretched their bodies, yawning and massaging their sore thighs.

 “Oh geez, this is the perfect place for Gustin to meet the villain!” Amany yelled with joy and threw her hands into the air.

 “I don’t care what trip this is about but Orenda, were you purposely trying to disrupt my nap?” Vayd rubbed his eyes and leaned against the car. Orenda simpered and shrugged her shoulders.

 “How dairy of the folks here to keep the lights switched off,” Rhonda exclaimed. “Do they expect us to see ghosts or something?” Amany and Orenda’s expressions brightened at the mention of ghosts, whereas, Vayd’s face showed uncertainty, but he quickly composed himself. 

“Yeah, honestly, what is this, third grade? I ain’t scared of no ghosts. Come out, come out, wherever you are...” He grinned and smacked his hands together. The lights turned on. They were clap-on clap-off light bulbs, of course, but they had no clue. The only other logical explanation was that Vayd had summoned a ghost. Aerin was still in the bathroom. She hadn’t noticed anything strange yet, being in the blind daze that comes with extreme pressure. 

Rhonny whacked Vayd in the head with a loaf of discounted bread. “If you’re planning on summoning a ghost you might as well use correct grammar. Didn’t BBC teach you that?” 

“No dip, Sherlock.” Vayd snapped back. 

“The dip’s all yours, Watson.” 

Orenda sensed tension and stepped between Rhonny and Vayd. “Guys! You have got to behave. There could be ghosts around.” She stepped back and they ceased to argue, the negotiations of Rhonnyville and Vayddom peaceable once more. Just then Aerin walked out of the bathroom, but everyone was so busy with mediating they didn’t hear her. Being sneaky as she was, she hid under the counter and waited until the time was ripe for the talking.

Sitting under the counter, Aerin heard a little creak on the table as if someone had just sat on it. Suppressing a tiny giggle, she got on her knees, ready to scare Amany.

“Hah!” Aerin sprang up and yelled, but instantly closed her mouth as not Amany, but someone else’s back greeted her.

It was a girl; long and silky black hair flowed down her shoulders, silver butterfly hair clips adorning her hair.

The girl snapped her head abnormally toward Aerin making her scream like a dolphin. She got on to her feet and bolted further back into the dark store. She would’ve clung onto Amany’s shoulders like glue if she were there with her. 

“Guys, that was Aerin, right?” Orenda said, her voice laced with concern.

“Uh-uh.” Rhonda said and ran toward the store. Orenda followed behind, dragging Vayd by his hoodie because apparently, the flickering lights of the gas station gave him the heebies-jeebies.

 While here, Aerin had been running like a lunatic, knocking over things that dared block her path. She came to a halt, huffing and sat on a chair. 

“I didn’t mean to scare you like that.” That same girl’s voice startled Aerin. “I’m just hiding here since some kids always come here and stone at us.”

Aerin’s eyes widened at the eerie, deep gash that ran across the girl’s nose and that she wasn’t alone. It struck her that the girl wasn’t a fellow mortal like her. “Why’re you following me, huh?”

Before the girl could answer, her body went flying forward with a loud thud. Orenda massaged her wrist when it was her leg with which she had kicked the girl.

“Nobody messes with our Rainbow!” Rhonda said and stood beside her.

“Certainly n-not when it’s a puny g-ghost.” Vayd added in, looking at his friends to check if they noticed his failed attempt at appearing brave. He quickly regained confidence when he realized they were too busy caring about their own hides to worry about his panic rising. 

“Get lost,” Amany yelled dramatically, “Or else we might have to banish you from this world.” 

“You can’t. You really can’t.” A boy appeared from behind Aerin and Rhonda. Soon, a girl and a boy followed behind. They too had deep marks scarring their dusty faces. “The thing is, you’re technically in our world right now, so if anyone was going to be banishing anyone, it would be us to you.” 

Amany blinked and laughed nervously, backtracking. “Haha, of course! That’s what I meant.”

“Hi.” Vayd said, moving forward as though he could possibly shake hands with the ghosts. “I’m Vayd.” He gestured towards the rest of the Compadres. “These are my friends.” 

Rhonny smiled kindly. “I’m Rhondalise. You’ll call me Rhonny, though.” She popped her left knuckles on the side of her leg. “Can you hit a ghost?” 

“Yeah? You probably can, but we don’t feel anything.”The boy ghost tipped an imaginary hat at Rhonny. “I’m honored you considered us, though.” 

‘Wait, so you can’t hit a ghost, but you can hit on a ghost, right?” Rhonny grinned. “I like your outfits. Very 18th century chic.” Her two moods seemed to be violence and immediate attraction. 

The ghost boy nodded. “Actually, we died two years ago but we were on our way to a cosplay event.”

“Really?” Aerin was shocked because the costumes looked so well made, it seemed impossible that they weren’t authentic. 

Vayd cleared his throat, “Um, so what do you guys need help with? Did we interrupt a scary ritual or is this just your typical haunt?” 

The ghost with long black hair shook her head. “We’ve just been waiting for someone to give this to.” Rhonny sat down on the ground beside Amany and Orenda, bored now that the ghosts didn’t want to talk to her and her alone. “It’s a bucket list.” 

“What bucket list? You guys are dead,” Orenda said, giving emphasis on ‘dead’. “You still want to check off the things on your list? How desperate!”

“Uh, yes, you’re correct and also we’re desperate not because we couldn’t do these things while we were alive, but because we need you all to complete these for us so that we can stop wandering here and cross to our side.”

Amany nodded her head in exaggeration because neither she nor the others understood what the boy was implying. “What in the w-”

“Whatever it is, just give it to us already.” Aerin interrupted Amany. “It must be fun anyway.”

Amany smirked as the boy handed her the list. Before Rhonda could have a good last look at the boy’s dead face, he disappeared into thin air with the other ghosts causing all of them to blink their eyes in astonishment.

Amany handed over the list to Orenda as all four of them peered their heads over her towering shoulders to get a look at the contents of the list.

It was Vayd who broke the silence. “What?! No, we can’t fight fire demons and hungry ogres.”

October 02, 2020 19:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

139 comments

Rhondalise Mitza
19:13 Oct 02, 2020

For all our other friends who weren't in the story, we LOVE YOU TOO.

Reply

Orenda .
19:31 Oct 02, 2020

si si...and we poured every bit of affection into this...<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Scout Tahoe
01:45 Oct 09, 2020

Rhonda-- I see in your bio you've put something up about objectifying women in stories. I feel strongly about this and was wondering if you could tell me which story includes this inappropriate material. Thanks for understanding.

Reply

B. W.
02:21 Oct 09, 2020

I know you probably want her to tell you, but i checked it out and i'm really mad. Go onto the story thing and click on 'funny' and go down until you see 'blind date'

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

SO WAIT LET’S TALK ABOUT THAT NEW ‘NOTE’ THE ROAD TO— YESSSSSS SO VERY TRUE lol BURN dowmvoter Wait...both wayssss

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
13:10 Oct 06, 2020

hahahahaha yes, I don't actually want them to go to hell, I just want them to know they're making people very sad :(

Reply

Oh yeah I know lol but the note is hilarious 😆

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
13:15 Oct 06, 2020

What? I kinda just want to exist here, but your talking about something about the down-voter?

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
13:18 Oct 06, 2020

Yeah, I wrote a new note to them in my bio yesterday, I think it was.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Yurpppp

Reply

B. W.
13:41 Oct 06, 2020

Another friend said she thinks she found the down-voter but they might be lying for attention or some crap like Mia had possibly been doing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Noor Ahmed
21:43 Oct 03, 2020

I AM IN LOVE!!! You included your Reedsy friends, that makes me so happy for some reason. You guys did an amazing job with this story. Quick p.s. "dear downvoter, please marry me so we can raise our children to be just as petty and sabotage inclined and bitter towards people you have right to be like that towards as you are. we can name them after the writers who have left Reedsy due to you detrimental behaviour. peace out, rhonny m." PERIOD!

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
21:51 Oct 03, 2020

<3 thank you so so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julia Boddie
17:06 Oct 12, 2020

Your stories are AMAZING. Thanks for writing them, this story is definitely a winner!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Scout Tahoe
14:05 Oct 07, 2020

Hey Rhonda, I see that you're changing your profile picture again. :) I saw the one with you(?) in the Darth Vader's mask, leaning against a wall. That was my favorite and haha I like this new monkey one too. Just wondering, when's your birthday? I heard it's in October. Keep up the changing of the profile pics. ;)

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
14:30 Oct 07, 2020

It's 27th of this month, yes! And thank you. :D

Reply

Scout Tahoe
14:32 Oct 07, 2020

I love this new one if you too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
17:12 Oct 06, 2020

Hi 🙋‍♂️ a pretty cool story. Happy 75th story. When’s ur birthday 🎂? And 🆙vote spree?

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
17:30 Oct 06, 2020

my birthday's the 27th of this month! and I can't do one right now because I'm at work.

Reply

Hriday Saboo
17:46 Oct 06, 2020

K and no problem

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
23:03 Oct 05, 2020

WOW!!! This was good, Rhonda! I always love the stories when you write about your Reedsy friends. Great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sia S
14:34 Oct 05, 2020

hey, um I know we are not THAT great friends buut I have lately been having a lot to self-hate, depression, being super sad for no reason, instances. And I heard your the one to talk too...

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
15:10 Oct 05, 2020

Well, this is quite the reputation I've gotten haha, but no worries, I'll listen! What's up?

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
15:34 Oct 05, 2020

I'm not a professional by the way so if you need serious help I can recommend folks to talk to but if you just want someone to chat with for a bit I'm here for that and I recommend nice music pretty much.

Reply

Sia S
15:42 Oct 05, 2020

ya o guess someone to talk to would be nice since all my friends are abroad right now or away.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
15:42 Oct 05, 2020

well, um Recently I got my marks and um it was lower than expected. So I started having a little breathlessness when I thought of them etc. And well I used to get sudden waves of sadness too. Btw its still on

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
15:46 Oct 05, 2020

What's still on? And I understand to some extent about grades (or marks, for you) because there's a lot of unnecessary pressure attached to that.

Reply

Sia S
16:29 Oct 05, 2020

Ya... I meant that the unnecessary sadness is still on.

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
16:30 Oct 05, 2020

Ohhh okay. Want some happy songs or don't worry if you're sad it'll be okay soon songs or does music not really affect you?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
14:33 Oct 05, 2020

Meh face the whole time : 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
03:10 Oct 05, 2020

Hey, i know that we really haven't talked that much (maybe only like once or twice) but something's been going on with me lately and i was wondering if you could maybe help me with it? Vayd said you were good with it

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
03:12 Oct 05, 2020

Of course! I'd be happy to listen.

Reply

B. W.
03:17 Oct 05, 2020

Well alright, heres the thing: Lately, i've been feeling like i should leave here and even stop writing/being an author. I just kinda feel like my stories already aren't that good like to me their a 1/10 or a 2/10 but as i go on i feel like they'll somehow get even worse and not better. I also just kind of feel like i'm annoying everyone on here and even some of my friend's on here even when i'm just talking to them about things or when i'm telling them about my stories because i always make a ton of stories for the new prompts within the fi...

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
03:40 Oct 05, 2020

OKAY so here's the thing. I've read your stories. They're good. You can keep working to become a better writer, everyone has to if they want to excel, but I can tell you love writing and that you pour time and energy and heart into the stories and that, for me, is reason enough to keep writing. I think also that's it's so easy to feel annoying when we feel that people aren't listening or paying attention to us and to be honest, I hate that. It's disrespectful and, man, we deserve respect just as much as anyone. Look, it's up to you and if ...

Reply

B. W.
04:38 Oct 05, 2020

I mean i guess that i could check out some of those songs, maybe something would happen. Well i still LIKE being on here and writing on here and just in general but i'm just kinda...scared i guess that everything will get worse instead of better and that i'll just be more annoying as it goes on. I don't mean to be annoying or anything, i just really like making stories and i just like talking to people/my friend's on here because it's fun. I still don't know how to stop any of the self doubt/hate and the other things that i have against myse...

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
12:58 Oct 05, 2020

have you been to an actual therapist or anything? That's not a question to be rude, I promise, I just want to help and I can't really. These are some pretty heavy feelings, man, and I'm not qualified to help you past the songs and just saying I'm here for you... like I haven't felt this way before so I'm not sure either what I would do. I just listen to music and pet my rabbit when I'm sad or call my friends and laugh until they make me stop, would any of those things help?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
18:38 Oct 04, 2020

Thank you so much for the likes and follow!!!❤️

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
18:44 Oct 04, 2020

You're welcome! I'll try to leave comments later. :D

Reply

Megan Sutherland
19:41 Oct 04, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
15:16 Oct 04, 2020

Great story Rhondalise(can I say Rhonny?) Are all these characters named after Reedsy people? That was my sneaking suspicion because Aerin and I are friends. Overall, I loved the storyline and the characters. Other people have mentioned you in their bios, so I decided I would come see for myself. I have to say that I am impressed. If you have a glorious second, would you mind coming and reading some of my stuff? I do mostly fantasy with wolf characters and a few human stories. Thanks! -megan sutherland

Reply

Show 0 replies
D. Shikha
16:57 Oct 03, 2020

I read this story on Orenda profile and it's amazing!! I especially loved your character (really, not lying). Good job!! I hope and wish and you SHOULD write sequel(s) to this story!! ~D

Reply

Show 0 replies

YAAAAAAY I LOVE STORIES BASED ON THE WRIRATES! Dang, I need to step up and write one! Lol, awesome, great job to you and Orenda :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amany Sayed
22:51 Oct 02, 2020

I HAVE NO WORDS. Oh wait, yes I do, I'm a writer for goodness sake. I love it. I lovveveeeeeeeee ittttttttttttttttttttttttttt. I adoreeeeeeeeeeeee itttttttttttttt. aldskfjasdlkfjasdlkfjsd Every word was awesome and the plot and the characters teehee and everything. Let's just say if you don't write a Part 2 very very soon I will never be happy again. Well I might be. At the very least seeing it will make me happy. In conclusion, write another one now. Thank you. Oh, just one teeny thing wrong with my personality, not like they HAV...

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
22:57 Oct 02, 2020

Haaa, that was me about the bossy thing and the only reason I did that was so I could be in charge, which was selfish but it was half my story soooo... next time you can be bossy free of charge. And yes, ma'am, you run and write that fanfic soon!

Reply

Amany Sayed
22:58 Oct 02, 2020

Haha, no not selfish at all. AHHHHHHH :)

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
23:14 Oct 02, 2020

and of course there'll be a sequel; I have some completely non selfish flirting to do with some dragons and ogres XD

Reply

Amany Sayed
23:15 Oct 02, 2020

Oh my gosh how naughty of you ;)

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
23:25 Oct 02, 2020

it's my favorite thing to do though IRL so why not in stories? I'm kidding, I can't flirt very well with people in real life SO I pretend I can in stories. One time I was at a concert and these guys behind me asked for my number and I dumped chili in their laps... but on the other hand, I told a drive through guy at McDonald's his eyes were pretty (he was wearing a mask so I could mainly see his eyes) and I got a bucketload of extra fries soooooooo that was a win win situation. :)

Reply

Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
00:44 Oct 31, 2020

heyyy

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
23:07 Oct 26, 2020

Hola amiga ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
16:23 Oct 25, 2020

Hey amiga ^^

Reply

Rhondalise Mitza
16:25 Oct 25, 2020

Heyo pal.

Reply

B. W.
16:25 Oct 25, 2020

how are ya? ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
02:12 Oct 25, 2020

heyyy

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.