Children's Fiction Wisdom

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Set your story in a library, after hours.... view prompt

44 comments

Fiction Funny Drama

If sprouting wings and learning to be an adult was anything similar to putting thoughts on paper, my parents would find themselves with a hopeless case of a child. I guessed it was because I never knew how to box in a category like the word growing. My parents told me lots of things about this day that was to come—the day I was set free. They told me lots of things along these lines—wisdom for a child who didn’t have a care in the world.

Still, I attempted to put thoughts to paper, trying to make it big. Unfortunately, it never got any easier.

“Ssssh! This is a library, not a zoo! ”

The librarian hissed at the man who’d walked in. I used to be the prime victim of her shushing when I took glass paperweights from the shelves and zoomed around the shelves pretending to be a spy. (The paperweights were a cheap substitute for spy goggles)

There really was no period of stilled silence in the ancient place, but the noises were, for the most part, calming. Sometimes a printer was running, or heels click-clacking or books being taken off shelves, and doors being opened. I hardly understood why most librarians wore heels—it just made the noises louder.

Now, I used the paperweight as a magnifying glass, peering into the tiny textbook print I had pulled off the shelves. Writing guides were no help either, not to mention the bloody to-do lists tacked up to my wall that never got checked off.

My eyes were starting to bleed streams of caffeinated, lo-fi hip-hop mixes, and soon the librarian would kick me out for spilling my tears all over the borrowed desktop. I actually did that once, when I was ordering a juice box from the cafe and poured it into the coffee mug to act like an adult. Adults about to go to college didn’t do that sort of thing, but I still drank juice in coffee mugs. (I also prided myself in re-reading fairy tales in the children’s section when nobody was looking, but that was a different story)

After all, writers were supposed to flesh out unique and pleasing stories for the public so that one day their title would be resting in a library. But I had drained Youtube and Pinterest for good tips, so I decided to stare at my novel consisting of a meager 10k words. They said writing things out on paper helped too, but every time I crossed that disaster, my palms would get all sweaty and handwriting unintelligible.

Rereading my work, I sighed. This was terrible. I reread my work again and then deleted all 10k words of my deserted novel.

“Psst. What are you writing about? Why’d you delete everything?”

Pressing my lips tightly together, I chose to answer only the first question to the boy who sat behind me in a twisty chair. I didn’t look back, but I could see his reflection through my computer.

“Inequality. I’m writing about inequality.”

“Racial inequality?”

“Inequality, inequality. But yes, that too.”

I hoped the boy wouldn’t ask me what my novel’s plot was. It was too complicated and unfinished for words.

“Well, that’s a topic full of stuff. There’s so much to write about.”

For a while, the boy stayed silent and I drifted back into my own thoughts. The words were never right and the words were never enough. Then, the boy spoke again, but this time I had to turn back and face him; it was the polite thing to do.

“You know, the children’s section has a lot of wisdom to offer after hours, according to the rumors spreading. If I were you, I’d check it out for bestseller inspiration.”

And with a wink, he was gone, and that was how I ended up here, breaking into a library after hours.

◈◉◈

I was probably going to get arrested and then laughed at for trying to find inspiration in a Children’s Section. Technically, I didn’t break in—I had just stayed put in a corner for a while until the librarian locked the door and switched off the lights. That woman was practically blind anyways, and I was just chasing after lost, crazy hopes anyways. Children played pranks, but I bet none of them had expected a grown adult to go snooping around after hours in a library of all places.

Suddenly, I felt like slapping myself. How was I supposed to get out? I was going to get stuck here all night—and did libraries have motion sensors installed? The place looked to be too old for camera installments, but you never knew in places like this. If I got out of this unscathed, it would be right back to Youtube and Pinterest.

My desperate brain fumbled for solutions, but it was also hungry for answers about the inspiration. What if the boy had been right? I had come this far, and it couldn’t hurt to try going to the children’s section. Some adult I was.

Obviously, my flashlight didn’t work, so I fumbled around in the darkness, stubbing my feet on countless books. Hopefully, my memory wouldn’t fail me, but it was my only choice since I memorized how many aisles down the children’s section were from my vantage hiding spot.

1…2…3… I ran my fingers over the metal frames and after reaching the children’s section, my flashlight sparked to life again. It was kind of creepy, but anything after-dark was creepy, even libraries.

Beaming my flashlight over the aisle of books, as I expected, I didn’t find anything. My mother had always told me I acted on foolish impulse, and now that impulse had landed me here, locked in a dark library at night. Maybe I could read a book at least…or type some pages of my book on a laptop from the stations if the wifi was stable.

She’s a human! Look, this time it’s another huuumaan!

I was too shocked to scream. Someone else was in the library, and it wasn’t human!

Huuman

The voice whispered again, and I shuddered, wondering if I was going to become a meal for library zombies. Still, I was pretty sure zombies weren’t real, but if a kid was going to jump me, it would be just as scary. I would really like to keep my brains intact so I could live to old age one day.

“Of course it’s a human, Sherlock! ”

“Hey, I’m right here! Turn on the lights, shall you.”

“I’m not your lackey, Sherlock.”

“The lights!!”

I couldn’t breathe. The Children’s Section was speaking to me! Finally, the lights came on and I saw a man wearing a cloak and puffing on a pipe peering down at me curiously. More things appeared from behind shelves oddly resembling the characters in children’s fiction books. A huge egg man waddled out into the center, yolk spilling everywhere.

“Ah, our customer appears disoriented.”

The man with the pipe poked me three times, and then I fainted.

◈◉◈

“Why must they always faint or run or scream? It’s rather offending.”

“Well, maybe they’re just surprised, is all.”

“Can we eat it? I’m hungry.”

“Absolutely NOT Mr. Big Bad. Where is my grandma?! I thought you were taking anger management classes!”

When I woke up to bickering, I assumed I was safe at my home, surrounded by the repulsive siblings I had often escaped from, and came to the library. Of course, I then realized the bickering was coming from characters in the library.

For a while, I sat there listening to three little pigs argue about farming and gnomes attempting to spear one another with rakes. This was hardly better than zombies or a childish prank. I hated being left sitting with unanswered questions, but what puzzled me the most was the assortment of older characters. There were members of Aesop Fables, princesses, fairy tales, and random mythological things roaming around. There was also a scarecrow, tin-man, lion, and a fat caterpillar.

I felt like fainting again.

“Oh don’t go night-night on us again. As the leader of the Children Fiction’s corporate world of inspirational ideas, I, Sherlock Holmes, welcome you to—”

“Hey, I’m the leader, not you, “esteemed partner”.

“Et Tu, Watson? But still, I’m the only leader this company has to offer.”

Protest echoed through the aisles, and then the three pigs started fighting again. Cinderella, Matilda, and Alice rolled their eyes in perfect synchrony whereas Winnie the Pooh didn’t look very interested.

“Why does a man have to be the leader? As you can see, big-idiot Sherlock Holmes only knows how to stroke his large ego. Why can’t I be the leader? I’m smarter!”

The women whooped in agreement. “Good one, Matilda!”

Sherlock and Watson had started to mutter impatiently about issues with the corporate world until I couldn’t stand it anymore.

“WHY AM I HERE AND WHY ARE FICTIONAL STORIES COMING TO LIFE AND STARTING COMPANIES?!”

Everyone quieted, staring at me facelessly, shuffling their feet as if they were ashamed. Winnie the Pooh offered me a sticky glob that must’ve been a business card at one point but was now smothered in honey. Matilda was about to speak, but Sherlock interrupted, straightening his tie.

“You wanted inspiration, how to write the next bestseller…right? And probably some other informed human told you where to look, of course, with some incentive. You either had guts or stupidity, or desperation to come here, after the library’s closing hours, but we characters have to be back in our books by the crack of dawn, hence our timing. Any questions?”

Red riding hood rolled her eyes. “Great job Mr. Detective. Now she totally understands why book characters are coming to life.”

“Actually, I really don’t understand anything. Where are all the newer Children’s Fiction book characters? Why aren’t they part of this company of yours? How are you alive? What advice do you have to offer?”

Watson gave a low whistle. Sherlock began reciting a speech nobody was paying attention to, and Matilda was telling him off for it. Cinderella looked up and sighed.

“The other new Children’s books are all checked out, all the time. They hardly sit on the shelves or have time for a visit. After all, most of the popular ones get the top shelves, and most of those characters have beef with you-kn0w-who in some way or another. We don’t really know why we’ve come to life, though at least we get to be ourselves here.”

Cinderella motioned to Sherlock, who was still bossing everyone around.

“But we do give advice if you’re not food.” Mr. Big Bad (wolf) added. “We gave advice to tons of authors if they promised to keep our secret.”

Sherlock interrupted, again, and held one hand up in the air. “Would you really want to spend time with the Greek Gods? Zeus was about to spear me in the head for accusing him of murder. The evidence was quite clear…” He trailed off as he noticed my lack of interest.

“But, as for advice, here are two things.” Cinderella shoved Sherlock aside. “Get your characters right, and write your heart out—”

“—yeah! So the wolves can eat them!” Mr. Big Bad licked his lips as Red riding hood slapped him. The princess continued on.

“A lot of our authors didn’t understand us, and they completely got our characters wrong! I, for one, was never supposed to fall for some man. I wanted to be a butt-kicking ninja!”

I stared at Cinderella in disbelief, remembering all the years of my youth spent hating princesses for their dry plotlines.

“I wanted to be a businessman!” Humpty Dumpty pouted.

“I wanted to be an assassin!” Grumbled Red riding hood.

“I was supposed to be the main detective, not Sherlock! He can’t solve a mystery to save his life, but Sir Arthur over there made him the star and me the assistant!” Watson nearly exploded in anger as I stared, dumbfounded. A part of me was still convinced that I was dreaming all this up.

“So yeah. We started our company to inform authors of how much they’re messing up our lives. Did you get some inspiration?” The caterpillar intoned as if he’d rehearsed this very moment.

“Uh……..” I thought about everything that had happened. “I guess so.”

“Good.”

Did Sherlock just say something nice?

“Because I’m certainly not helping you get out of here. Get out or get arrested is my motto.”

April 30, 2021 21:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

44 comments

Philip Clayberg
01:38 May 06, 2021

Great story. It reminds me of a Looney Tunes cartoon about what happens in a bookstore after hours (when the characters come to life and some of them leave their books and head elsewhere; and, of course, plenty of in-jokes). Thank you for writing it. Editing comments: trying to find inspiration in a Children’s Section. [unless there is more than one Children's Section in that library, I would change "a" to "the"? Later in the story, you call it "the Children Section" (see next note)] after reaching the children’s section [since it's ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:34 May 02, 2021

I love the quote in your bio~ 🌧💦💧🌊💃🏼

Reply

12:03 May 04, 2021

Aw, thanks! 🌧💦💧🌊💃🏼 That's one of my favorites :P

Reply

22:35 May 04, 2021

np! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
16:39 May 01, 2021

Okay, that was nice...

Reply

12:14 May 02, 2021

Thanks🌻 Glad you enjoyed reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jade Young
16:03 May 01, 2021

This was so wholesome to read. I came into this story reading about a relatable 2nd year uni student like myself who still only uses coffee mugs for juice instead of actual coffee and who has relatable moments of writer's block. and then halfway through the story my excitement picked up at the sight of all my favourite character's from children's books that literally made my childhood. I love how you incorporated every one of the classic children's book characters into the story, with dialogue and actions that remain true to their characters...

Reply

12:34 May 02, 2021

Thank you so much, Jade, for the amazing comment! (I still hate coffee, by the way😉) Children's fiction will always have a place in my heart :) Thank you so much for this. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading my humble words. And should I say it again? I'm so glad you're back!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Frances Reine
15:49 May 01, 2021

Karina, I'm telling you, this is some of the liveliest things I've ever read. Funny? No doubt. I love some quirky fiction just as much as sad contemporary. Maybe even more. I love the parentheses. I think it fits the character incredibly well since they always have something to say. The 'parenthesis-extra' enhances it furthermore. I love this library: populated by these sassy characters at night. This hits the spot!

Reply

12:24 May 02, 2021

Frances, you flatter me too much, but thank you!! I was inspired by writer's block to write this, so thank you writer's block. You actually helped me write a story. This started out with a person in writer's block and somehow wound up into a quirky fiction piece😂 (I still have no idea how) Anyways, thank you so much for your comment! I wish I could live in that library... You're the best, and I'm glad you liked reading my story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lyn Carstone
15:18 May 01, 2021

Hi Magical Energy! That was a fun story! I loved the idea of book characters coming to life and not being pleased with how they were portrayed. :)

Reply

12:20 May 02, 2021

Aw, thank you so much! I actually thought of characters not being pleased with how they were portrayed when I thought of all the series' I loved reading when I was younger and how I connected with the characters in those series'. But what if those characters couldn't relate to themselves? What if they had a different personality than what was written? After all, authors only tell their stories through a medium of words. There is so much more beyond :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
13:03 May 01, 2021

Nice story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Writers Block
05:43 Jul 27, 2021

Good flow and sound effects

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sia S
08:44 Jul 12, 2021

New story!

Reply

12:44 Jul 12, 2021

Yay!! I'll read it soon! Btw, I'd love it if you could read my bio and let me know which type of story you'd like...I can't decide! Thanks Sia

Reply

Sia S
13:22 Jul 12, 2021

:D Sure! A new world, super into the future or something :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
03:36 Jul 09, 2021

I know this is a little late, but I'm still gonna leave a comment ;) lemme just say... XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD the whole plot overall is great, and I like how you used characters that we're all familiar with, that made it more relatable in a sense. I like how the authors got the characters 'wrong' lol (and I certainly agree with the MC who doesn't appear to have a name...I agree with her about grumbling about dry plot-lines lol), it just added so much more depth to the story (and more humor as well). Such a fun read! super job with this one :DDD

Reply

15:43 Jul 09, 2021

Thank you so much!!!! I know I haven't posted in a while, but thanks for stopping by anyway! (Now that I'm back, I have a lot of stories to catch up on😝) Yeah, the MC didn't really have a name...did she? I forgot, but thanks for this comment, Tiff.

Reply

TJ Squared
16:01 Jul 09, 2021

Ofc :D Yeah lol XD it happens when you’re really into the story lol Np :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
19:11 Jun 16, 2021

heyyy, I still gotta read your stories, but I'm just checking in with you. :)

Reply

19:52 Jun 24, 2021

Oh, hi Tiffany!! I just popped in to check my notifications...but I'm inactive for now...how are you doing?

Reply

TJ Squared
20:25 Jun 24, 2021

If that changes, please do let me know :) I’m doing rather good, thanks for asking :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tessa Takzikab
00:43 May 13, 2021

I had to stop while reading this story. I sat there just laughing and covering my face so my brother came to see what I was doing. I don't know if you did that for me, but the Sherlock and Watson bit about them being switched.... Either way, it made my day, so thank you! Aside from that, I think this just jumped very close to the top on my list of favorite stories. I love the way the random stranger recognizes the MC's frustration and lets the MC in on the secret, and balancing on the line between child and adult, the MC decides in the mom...

Reply

18:36 Jul 08, 2021

Hi...I know it's been a long time since you posted this comment that made my day today, and I apologize for taking so long. (I've been inactive) Anyways, thank you so so so much for this high praise! (I've always wondered how the stories would change if secretly, Watson was the better detective) That "0" was by accident...oh well. Thanks for pointing it out :P Thanks again Tessa, and sorry for taking over a month to respond😣

Reply

Tessa Takzikab
00:41 Jul 09, 2021

That's okay, I've been pretty busy too. If you had responded sooner I might not have seen it until now. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aurora Spencer
13:15 May 11, 2021

This is so amazing that I don't have enough words to describe it. The humor element made me smile to myself every few seconds :) Though you said you're trying this for the first time, you've written it really well! And the story idea? It was FANTABULOUS! (Is that a word?) This was an interesting prompt and your story narrative was attention gripping. The idea of book characters coming alive is something I dream about every single day. (Am I the only one who wishes that the characters I write come to life other than in my imagination?) And ...

Reply

14:01 May 11, 2021

Aw, thank you so much! Fantabulous should be a word...and Matilda was a childhood favorite as well! I totally wish book characters would come alive, except the villains. Thank you so, so, so much for that amazing comment. Oh, and I just got rickrolled in 2021🤪😭

Reply

Aurora Spencer
12:50 May 20, 2021

Cool! Me too, the world would probably be so much more interesting that way! No problem at all! I loved this story :) Ooh lol! That was for fun hehe 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Monica June
00:21 May 11, 2021

Woah- first of all, LOVED that first line! This story was so captivating and witty It reminded me of the Land of Stories series; have you read it? It used to be my FAVORITE series. Really nice job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Writers Block
14:25 May 08, 2021

I like the description and the fact that the main character's name is also a title of a book. I read your bio too. . . .oh they make plenty of sweet coffee drinks. . . .frappiccinos* and cold brew with extra pumps of liquid sugar, etc

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sia S
14:23 May 06, 2021

Part Two released!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
07:45 May 06, 2021

New story out. Would love your feedback.

Reply

12:01 May 06, 2021

Sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:56 May 05, 2021

This story was a lot of fun, and your first line was a great hook! :) Well done

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
11:58 May 05, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

15:23 May 05, 2021

Haha, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J Sagar
11:39 May 04, 2021

Entertaining!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.