Might As Well Have Been Wind In the Bells

Submitted into Contest #182 in response to: Start your story with a home alarm system going off.... view prompt

4 comments

Fantasy Fiction East Asian

My vulpine ears twitch as I blink awake, eyes flitting around my small room, furnished only with my sleeping mat a mirror and a small dresser.

The bells, the bells were ringing.

I leap off my mat and land nimbly on my feet, someone’s in the house.

Glancing at the simple mirror on the wall I meet my own starlight-blue eyes and handsome face, or at least that’s how I’ve heard people describe it. All of my race is stunning by others’ standards. Muttering something under my breath, I watch as my reflection fades away, starting with the gold tips of my white ears.

Now invisible, I creep out of my small room and edge down the short hallway, bare feet deftly silent on the woven flooring.

Did a hunter find my home?

No, I’ve woven too many spells, besides, I doubt they’d hunt me, I’ve never hurt anyone.

“Don’t be so naive Tachiro, Hunters will hunt.”

The old… acquaintance’s words echo through my mind as I peek out into the living room. That’s what most believe, the main reason many don’t bother even trying to be anything but troublesome.

I shake my head and step into the living room. The place is empty, everything’s exactly where it should be. The low table I eat at, my kneeling cushion, and the small fireplace. Then where…?

There’s a chinking crash sound in the kitchen and I swivel on my heels and quickly take the few steps required to pass the white curtain door. I stop right there, the blue embroidered flowers of the curtain billowing with my entrance as if blown by the wind.

A young woman stands in the midst of the kitchen, dark hair tied up in a high ponytail and an elegant katana at her hip.

So it is a hunter.

A new hunter by the looks of it.

She tiptoes noisily around the shards of what used to be my china cup. That was a very nice cup.

I mutter a few words and a man appears before me, tall and intimidating, a proper mountain man by the looks of it.

Not that I’d really know.

The girl swivels, blinking in surprise at the man’s sudden appearance.

“I’d appreciate if you’d get out of my house,” I say gruffly, my voice changing from its usual silky smooth to fit the man before me as he folds his arms in disapproval.

She blinks in surprise but nods hurriedly, “Yes I’m sorry, I just, I was doing my job and I…” she fidgets with her fabric belt. “I’m lost.”

So, she didn’t come here on purpose, figures.

I sigh tiredly. “This way.”

The illusion scowls at her and I make it move with me out of the kitchen and out the front door into the cherry-blossom orchard surrounding my house.

Delicate pink and white petals flutter by in the breeze, beautiful against the rich green grass. “Follow that path, it’ll take you back to civilization,” I say, the mountain man’s illusionary mouth moving in time with mine.

“That path wasn’t there before,” she says, surprise evident in her tone.

“It’s always been there, now go and don’t come back.” I manipulate the illusion to turn and walk toward the house.

The woman stands there for a moment, body tensing.

“AGGH!” she shouts, her blade out within seconds and swinging for my head.

I stumble backwards on the slippery grass, the mountain man vanishing in a puff of mist.

“I knew it!” she shouts, pumping a fist.

“Tsch,” I hiss, revealing myself.

She stumbles back this time, a flicker of fear suddenly on her face. “K-kitsune,” she stammers.

I lay my ears back hostilely and bare my teeth at her. Obviously, what else could make such vivid illusions?

She tightens her grip on her katana and takes a step toward me.

My five tails flare and I twitch my fingers, electricity crackles there, reflecting in the hunter’s dark eyes. She freezes.

I relax my hand and the electricity disperses, “Please just leave,” I say tiredly, my voice back to normal. “I don’t have the energy for this.”

“It is my duty to vanquish any and all harmful—”

“Spare me the speech,” I drawl, “I’m upset because you broke my favorite cup and woke me up. Plus, you’re one of the only humans I’ve ever met. And no, I’ve never harmed anyone. In fact, the most extensive interaction I’ve had with a human was an old man I helped across the street. So please, leave. I just want to go back to sleep.”

She just blinks at me in surprise.

“What? Can I not be tired?”

“Kitsune always lie,” she persists.

“Except for when they’re tired,” I counter.

“Really?” she says unbelievingly.

“No.”

“So you are a liar.”

“You’ve been on this job for what? Nine months?” I say dismissively, dusting petals out of my blue hair.

She suddenly looks defensive. “No.”

I raise my eyebrows at her.

“Eight and a half.”

“Wow, can I go back to bed now?”

She huffs, fiddling with the hilt of her katana, “How am I certain you’re not lying.”

Totally done with this conversation I yawn, noticing the way she shifts back at the sight of my canines. My eyes water a bit and a single tear trickles down the side of my face. I collect it on my finger and tip it into the palm of my hand. It solidifies into a startlingly blue teardrop jewel.

I hold it out to her, “Here, take this.”

She stares at the jewel, eyes wide with wonder, “You’re giving this… to me?”

“Yes,” I grunt, “I have plenty of them.”

As far as I understand, a kitsune tear is a very rare thing amongst humans. Most have to torture a Kitsune to get one, that’s the only way to get any unless they’ve been given willingly and without any unknown strings attached.

“All right, fine.” She scoots closer and takes the jewel from my hand flinching back when her skin touches mine.

I smirk.

She hesitantly walks to the path, stopping to glance back at me.

I quirk an eyebrow at her, a small bolt of brilliant blue lightening flickering off my fingertips.

Shaking her head, she turns and hurries down the path.

I watch her go, and soon feel her exiting my territory. I can’t believe she just wandered in. I walk into the kitchen and frown at the shards of my china cup.

Picking up the pieces, my nose twitches with frustration as I dump them into the garbage. One of the shining pieces catches, slicing my hand. Hissing, I pull back, a trail of vibrant red blood along my hand.

I shake my head and turn out of the kitchen, heading back to my room and flopping onto my sleeping mat. Staring at the blood on my palm I contemplate the brief encounter.

She won’t ever be able to find her way back, I reassure myself. In fact, the more she tries, the harder it will be.

Honestly, that cup did much more damage physically and emotionally than the hunter. I snort and roll over.

It might as well have been wind in the bells.

January 27, 2023 20:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Kathryn Kahn
15:52 Feb 08, 2023

Interesting and compelling tale that kept me reading. I also got curious about some of the words you use and did a little research, so I learned a little something about Japanese culture and folklore. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:47 Feb 06, 2023

Excellent writing, I love the creativity and characters. You gave your characters very pleasing personalities. I want to learn more about them! Great job! o(〃^▽^〃)o

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wendy Kaminski
01:07 Feb 01, 2023

So enchanting, Elizabeth! Lovely story, thanks for sharing it this week - and welcome to Reedsy! :)

Reply

Sage E. Seever
01:51 Feb 01, 2023

Thanks, I wrote it in a little over an hour to meet the deadline so I'm glad it's up to snuff (at least for the most part)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.