808 comments

Sad Speculative Inspirational

This story is dedicated to Kylie on Reedsy Prompts. Please read my author's note in the comments~ 

The corners of Kylie's mouth slightly moved upwards as she stared at the box, her eyes twinkling with pride. She felt like a pet owner watching their dog do as trained, a mother bird observing her child fly for the first time, an artist finished with their masterpiece.

The creation Kylie had made, this small, carefully chosen box, packed to the top with loved items, it was like a newborn to her. Delicate, a source of her pride.

Kylie picked up her time capsule, fingers light as feathers, and cradled it during the whole journey.

It had taken her months, maybe even over a year, to decide what she would put in this box. After all, it was nothing but the future generations' perceptions of those who had lived before them. 

There was no doubt that Kylie would add technology. She wondered how much her phone would be worth in the future, more or less than its current price? How much value would people give to old phones? Would it be valuable due to its time and design? Or would future technology be ten times more developed, and people would regard it as a cheap, lame device? She hoped it would be valuable as she placed the phone into the box with trembling hands.

Food would expire, plants would die, clothes? Her clothes weren't unique. They didn't represent anything, and they could never speak for the world's current fashion.

Kylie snapped her fingers excitedly as an idea flashed into her mind. Photos! Photos of everything! 

Her mother's call for her echoed throughout the house with the door left swinging ajar. Kylie had departed on a crucial mission to collect photographs.

Would taking photos of all the buildings be too much, she questioned, as she sunk into the shade, a refuge from the tormenting sun. 

What if the buildings had fallen and only ruins remained? What if it would be an inspiration-a vintage inspiration to the future- for architectural design? What if she, Kylie, would become famous in her grave?

You're getting way too ahead of yourself, Kylie, she thought as she snapped a picture of the Reedsy™ building and walked away. 

Her camera clicked and flashed for hours on end, until she decided to check her phone and realized it was almost eight. The sky had burnt from its fresh blue to a thick, tar-like black. She dashed home, mentally noting where she'd go for photos the next day. 

~~~

One windy morning, months after the first day of photo-taking, Kylie dressed in a hurry as she deliberated in her mind what else to add to her capsule. 

Toys! Those toys might not exist in the future. It'll be fun for future kids to play with them!

She tucked in a fidget spinner, a few figurines, and as many intact toys she could find in her little brother's closet.

Kylie arranged receipts and restaurant menus, thinking about its use for research on foods they would eat back then. 

She slid in jewelry, household items, pens, markers, paper. She placed some of her paintings on top, along with some of her stories. She felt as if she was building a skyscraper, stacking things on top, level by level. 

Kylie added an unused cigarette she had found on the street, and a lighter along with it. Who knew which people would come across her time capsule. 

Makeup products! I'm sure everyone would appreciate some makeup and skincare items. Goodbye, all of the makeup products that I spent hundreds to get. Goodbye nail polish, goodbye lotion. Goodbye essences. 

Her journey to find and choose the items that would determine the future's impression of the past had lasted for months. Kylie was finishing with the final details, and one last idea sprung up. 

I'll tuck in some masks and gloves so they can observe what we used to prevent our worldwide pandemic-

Her busy hands froze.

What if there was no future generation, what if the pandemic wiped out everyone, what if the survivors would only die from natural disasters? 

What if this sickness was the universe's way of wiping out humanity? They had caused so many problems: merciless killing and cruelty of animals, destroying nature's beauties to slap down gray, dusty buildings, contributing to climate change with vehicle exhaust, Kylie was only getting started. 

Humanity had also turned on each other. There was the constant injustice and prejudice, leading to traumatizing deaths based on skin pigmentation or specific beliefs. Betrayal, backbiting, lying. Those had always weightlessly fallen from humans' lips. Racism, stereotypes, lies, falseness, sexism, these were all real. And they happened every day.

What if the universe had concluded humans weren't worthy of living on Earth, the planet of life, after all? 

These what-ifs slunk across Kylie's mind, wrapping around and squeezing, a deadly viper ready to take over its prey. They clawed around her head, a sinister darkness beginning to cloud her previously positive mindset about her creation. 

She glanced down, sullen, at the time capsule she had spent months creating. A torrent of tears swished over her glazed eyes, and suddenly, Kylie was sobbing. She didn't want to die. Kylie didn't want her family, her friends, her teachers, her neighbors to die. She didn't want anyone to die. 

Nobody's going to die.

Kylie's tears sparkled as they fell upon the items she had so lovingly collected and packed, shimmering in the afternoon sun. Kylie stared at them, a caring smile beaming through, as she picked up her stationery saved for special events, and sat at her desk to write a letter.

Crisp labels sat, taped to every item in the time capsule. Kylie had written the name of every object, along with a description.

Her letter sat, the curlicues and swirls of ink drying beside the open window. 

Kylie now stood, looking down at her time capsule, an enveloped letter to go along with it, eyes twinkling with happiness. Writing the letter had lifted everything-all of her concerns off her shoulders, and she had decided to bury the time capsule. 

Kylie kissed her time capsule and walked to the park.

October 10, 2020 02:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

808 comments

B. W.
17:44 Oct 20, 2020

Heya ^^

Reply

Laiba M
18:40 Oct 20, 2020

Hi! How are you??

Reply

B. W.
18:42 Oct 20, 2020

I'm good ^^ so is the comment thing almost done? Sorry, i'm still just excited to see what ya got ^^

Reply

Laiba M
18:56 Oct 20, 2020

Last question, it's from Ember's POV, right?

Reply

B. W.
19:04 Oct 20, 2020

Yes, from her POV/first person :)

Reply

Laiba M
20:13 Oct 20, 2020

I squint my eyes, attempting to see whose shadow is illuminated under the unusually bright moonlight. It seems like it's Blue. I walk towards him, still squinting, a useless war against the light; it peeks through and stabs my eyes anyways. "Blue!" He glances up, an unreadable expression on his face. "Ember." I open my mouth, excited to tell him about my latest creation, when I'm cut off by a sharp stab of pain in my neck. I look down, terrified and confused, at Blue's head buried into my shoulder, fangs out in my neck. I pull away inst...

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sam T.
13:55 Oct 16, 2020

wow! this was really interesting and thought provoking... as always, your writing was brilliant :) I love reading your stories <3

Reply

Laiba M
17:18 Oct 16, 2020

Thanks, Sam!! I love your stories too and really can't wait for the next one <3

Reply

Sam T.
08:12 Oct 24, 2020

aww thank you so much !! <3

Reply

Laiba M
13:14 Oct 24, 2020

No problem~ :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
19:42 Oct 14, 2020

Hi Laiba. I read your bio, and I feel so sad for you and your pet. Okay, to the story. This was really good! I really love how you're writing stories about all of your Reedsy friends! It's so cool and creative! I loved it so much! Great job! P.S. I'll upvote you a little bit!

Reply

Laiba M
20:22 Oct 14, 2020

Thank you for the kind words! I appreciate what you said about the story :) Thank you so much!

Reply

Avery G.
00:24 Oct 15, 2020

You are sooo welcome!!!

Reply

Laiba M
00:28 Oct 15, 2020

We haven't talked in a while! How's everything going?

Reply

Avery G.
00:29 Oct 15, 2020

Yes, that's so true! Everything is okay, although I think I've told you school is a lot. How's school for you?

Reply

Laiba M
01:15 Oct 15, 2020

It's stressful for me as well, I'm barely managing everything :) Non-school wise, things are a bit boring, but family has been doing fun things to spice up quarantine and give us something to look forward to! We have days where we eat special food, like Mediterranean food on Saturdays, so I can't wait for Saturdays because I love Mediterranean food *W*

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
20:54 Oct 13, 2020

heyyy

Reply

Laiba M
22:19 Oct 13, 2020

Hi

Reply

B. W.
22:20 Oct 13, 2020

Hi ^^ i hope i'm not bothering you or anything but do you remember how i asked you to do the thing on how the characters would get together and stuff?

Reply

Laiba M
22:20 Oct 13, 2020

Yeah

Reply

B. W.
22:21 Oct 13, 2020

How is it going with that?

Reply

Laiba M
22:21 Oct 13, 2020

It's going fine.

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zilla Babbitt
21:31 Oct 12, 2020

Really good! You've definitely gotten better and it's a pleasure to see. My only critique is to cut things like "deliberated in her mind" because a) it's wordy when "thought" will do fine and b) it hints of an inexperienced author when I know you're not one. Keep it up!

Reply

Laiba M
21:40 Oct 12, 2020

Thank you so much, Zilla! That makes sense :) Reading it out loud, it definitely sounds very wordy, I'll change that!

Reply

Laiba M
21:42 Oct 12, 2020

Oh, never mind, I realized I can't change it :D Thank you, though!

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
21:46 Oct 12, 2020

Ah well. You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
20:42 Oct 12, 2020

I could use some help

Reply

Laiba M
21:00 Oct 12, 2020

With what?

Reply

B. W.
21:01 Oct 12, 2020

Well you know my demi-god novel right?

Reply

Laiba M
21:01 Oct 12, 2020

Yeah~

Reply

B. W.
21:09 Oct 12, 2020

I need help with it, mostly the romance though.

Reply

Laiba M
21:19 Oct 12, 2020

Okay, do you not have any ideas on how to execute it?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
18:59 Oct 12, 2020

A very light story. Not sure how sad it is, though it does give passing mention to negative human behavior. Your protagonist, Kylie is very upbeat. She has a moment of doubt, then conquers it by writing a letter. Everything before her momentary sadness is simply listing what she chooses to include or exclude from the time capsule. Admittedly, it is an obvious trend for a tale about a time capsule- I saw many stories about putting stuff into time capsules. At least here we do have that moment of tension. If you want to put tension into st...

Reply

Laiba M
20:24 Oct 12, 2020

Thank you, Charles! I will definitely use that advice for future stories with similar elements~ I apologize for requesting you to read my story, I don't love to burden others with requests. I asked you to lend some advice because I have seen your comments on others' stories and I appreciated your method of advice. No sugarcoating, simple and short. It's nice to have solid feedback! Thanks again :)

Reply

Charles Stucker
21:50 Oct 12, 2020

I have no problem with helping people. It's always nice to have someone listen.

Reply

Laiba M
00:18 Oct 13, 2020

Thank you again~~ Of course I'd listen, your advice is very helpful!

Reply

17:53 Oct 13, 2020

Hey guys! Charles: I'm glad you think I'm upbeat! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Julia Boddie
17:47 Oct 12, 2020

I love your stories. They can hardly get any better! Definitely one of the best stories ever!

Reply

Laiba M
17:50 Oct 12, 2020

Thank you, Julia! That's a really kind compliment, haha~ Did you have a favorite part or was there a part you thought was the most well-written in the story?

Reply

Julia Boddie
17:58 Oct 12, 2020

I liked the part when she chose to put photos in it. I also liked how you included Reedsy in the story.

Reply

Laiba M
17:58 Oct 12, 2020

Thank you! It means a lot :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
14:59 Oct 12, 2020

You know how you wanted the romance in the next part of the thing?

Reply

Laiba M
17:11 Oct 12, 2020

Yeah, what's up?

Reply

B. W.
17:12 Oct 12, 2020

How would you act if you had a crush? and who would you want to be with, it's up to you. Like vayd, Orenda, etc.

Reply

Laiba M
17:14 Oct 12, 2020

Hmm, I'm not sure~ probably quiet about it, I don't usually make the first move or anything, I'd just get shy during my interactions with them but mostly conversate normally. Haha, this feels weird to talk about :D I'm fine with anyone as long as they're fine with it too and they know they'd be with me :)

Reply

B. W.
17:19 Oct 12, 2020

Well, could i maybe do you and Vayd then?

Reply

Laiba M
17:22 Oct 12, 2020

Sure, is he okay with doing it with me?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Emma Sunshine
16:55 Oct 10, 2020

nice work it's cool how u involve your followers in ur stories

Reply

Laiba M
18:26 Oct 10, 2020

Thanks, Emma~! Do you have any critiques?

Reply

Emma Sunshine
19:07 Oct 10, 2020

nah, this was great

Reply

Laiba M
20:23 Oct 10, 2020

Thanks~

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
03:25 Oct 10, 2020

:) this was really great just like all your other ones and i still don't think anything was wrong with it. I'm glad though that your still making stories for Kylie and all your other Reedsy friends ^^ I didn't really expect for there to be any stories for a while until Kylie herself told me about it and i'm glad that you still made one. 10/10 :) i'm excited for the next one as well.

Reply

Laiba M
11:54 Oct 10, 2020

Of course! Thanks as always, Hope~~ I decided to post your story next week (this week) because I finished Kylie's story late anyways. If you want, I can still do a future-telling antagonist theme! I'm so sorry.

Reply

B. W.
14:56 Oct 10, 2020

Just use the fire leaf thing. That could go well with the future foretold antagonist thing because maybe a lot of stuff is on fire because of her, though you don't need to focus on the leaves the entire time

Reply

Laiba M
18:24 Oct 10, 2020

Okay! Thank you!

Reply

B. W.
19:25 Oct 10, 2020

when will ya start working on it?

Reply

Laiba M
20:24 Oct 10, 2020

I can't give an exact date for posting, but I've already started working on it.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:34 Nov 15, 2020

would ya still want private messaging and all that on here?

Reply

Laiba M
21:50 Nov 15, 2020

Yep! My opinion will never change, it needs to exist on Reedsy~

Reply

B. W.
22:31 Nov 15, 2020

You could still probably ask Jenn or someone else if they could do that?

Reply

Laiba M
01:03 Nov 16, 2020

I don't usually do these kinds of things-they know my email, of course, but I'd prefer to leave that to someone else. Additionally, it's a very big request to make that will take a lot of work, so we'd need a lot of people who agree.

Reply

B. W.
02:01 Nov 16, 2020

wait, you seriously just made a petition for it??

Reply

Laiba M
02:06 Nov 16, 2020

Yep! This will let me know how many people agree. If I get enough people, perhaps 200+, then I'll consider either emailing Jenn myself or asking someone else to.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
01:10 Nov 16, 2020

By the way, I made a petition for it! We need to get as many people as we can to vote on it-do you mind putting it in your bio?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
07:32 Nov 10, 2020

hey, hows it going with the cover art if ya don't mind me asking?

Reply

Laiba M
13:23 Nov 10, 2020

It's looking good! They look very cute :) Oh, and by the way, I'll describe my style to you. I like drawing very realistic people and things straight from reference, but if I'm asked to make a cover for something, it's a very cute doll-like style. Big, round heads, petite, round bodies, large eyes with spidery eyelashes, and a set of clothing~ I also do draw a bit more realistically proportion-wise, so if you want that instead, let me know.

Reply

B. W.
17:29 Nov 10, 2020

I like the doll style i guess because it would be interesting to see but I was kind of hoping for the realistic thing a bit but then you'd probably have to start all over or something because I said something so I guess either is just fine.

Reply

Laiba M
17:32 Nov 10, 2020

Yeah, I think the doll style would fit the ship drawings and cute side drawings better, lol :) It's okay! I'll start over with the cover, how about by next Tuesday?

Reply

B. W.
17:35 Nov 10, 2020

wait, could ya maybe give me a link or something if that's alright so that I could maybe see your other drawings? I don't think I ever have

Reply

Laiba M
17:36 Nov 10, 2020

Hmm, I've only started to like my style recently, and so I only have a few artworks I made that I truly liked. How would I link them?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.