285 comments

Drama Thriller

𝟹/𝟷𝟽/𝟸𝟶𝟹𝟶


My cravings for Cheetos landed me in jail.

My habit of avoiding people was my downfall.

Being in the wrong place at the wrong time made it completely legal for the cops to stuff me in this dim, grimy cell forever.

I hate my life.


*


Let me illustrate some before-and-afters. 

Before The Incident, going to the grocery store was another boring task. I didn’t like it much.

After The Incident, grocery stories are dreaded places. For me, SayedStore is the equivalent of breaking a mirror, as I walk under a ladder, with black cats criss-crossing under it. 

Before, well, everybody has a saying they despise. I’ve always disliked “The world isn’t fair”. I mean, yes, it isn’t fair, but people say it like that’s okay. When in reality, we should be trying to make everything equal. 

Now, I straight up loathe the phrase. I wanted a snack and I wound up in a place where I get no snacks at all. Does that scream fair to you?   

Previously, I was Zane Khatri, the eighteen-year-old boy who was enjoying his summer vacation before going off to college.

In the present, I’m Zane Khatri, a infamous teenage criminal who’s sentenced to life in jail. 

And, of course, before this mess, I lived with my parents, soon to be housing in a dorm.

Now, home sweet home is a prison cell.


𝟽/𝟸𝟿/𝟸𝟶𝟸𝟿


I had less than a month before college starts, and I wanted to make the most of it. So far, that plan had been working excellently—I’d been in the house all summer, shielded from the cruel sun’s rays and heat, and safe from annoying people’s chatter.

But alas, I couldn’t hide from the outside world forever. My parents told me I was acting like a sack of potatoes, lying on the couch playing video games all day.

They said if I wanted a snack, I had to go to the grocery store myself.

And, alas, my hunger overrode my dislike of going out in public when I didn’t need to.

I threw on some black clothes, because black is my favorite color. Clothes-wise, black is also the comfiest color—it just is.

Dark hoodie, even darker sweatpants, sneakers, and sunglasses. I was all ready to go.

I walked to the bathroom to, well, go. While there, I washed my face with warm water. My light olive skin shone as the water dripped off. I had shaggy black hair, amber eyes, and a mouth that counted smiling as exercise.

“Bye, Mom!” I hollered, slamming the door behind me.

I surveyed my block. Even in the July heat, people were outside jogging, walking dogs, or plain old going on a stroll.

I moaned. I didn’t enjoy people—they're so loud and annoying and loud. My doggy, Balto, was my friends, best friends, casual acquaintances, and anyone else in my life.

Just in case I ran across someone I knew, I slid on my sunglasses and pulled up my hood. If anybody asked, my name was Kane Zhatri (smooth, I know) and I was visiting my cousin, Bob.

Time to grab some Cheetos.


𝟹/𝟷𝟽/𝟸𝟶𝟹𝟶


My bad luck started before The Incident, before I was double digits, before I was born. It traced back to the start of the males in my family’s bad luck, when my grandfather stepped in a puddle of toddler pee, slipped, and broke his back.

Then my father accidentally started a fire in our house. But it was more than that. It was a string of bad luck, each unleashing the other that cursed dominoes. My dad’s cat happened to walk into the kitchen. My dad happened to be holding a cucumber. The cat happened to see it, thought, my nemesis! Captured, at last! and pounced on it. Dad jumped back, and the cuce dropped. The cat was startled and tripped my father, and he happened to jump onto the stove. Then the cat happened to fling the cucumber up so it turned on the stove. My dad’s pants caught fire, so he whipped the, off and coincidentally passed the flames to the kitchen towel.

And now me. I’m an eighteen-year-old who was sent to jail over half a year ago. Sent to jail for life.

This prison is what happens when you get ‘sucky’ and ‘sewage’ and blend them. It’s suckage, really. A line of five-by-five cells with bars in the front, so we can see another line opposite from our own.

Each stall has a three-legged stool. We get toilet breaks twice a day and get to go to the gym triweekly. Sometimes, a guard will bring in those tiny screens that show one video—$1 at Walmart. The videos always show scenes of Law & Order TV.

“New videos,” somebody murmurs. Footsteps start clicking against the tile floors. The kind of sound guard’s shoes make—probably one coming to deliver another show.

Hey, it’s Jimi! Jimi’s one of my favorite guards because he hardly talks, but when he does, he has a deep, smooth voice. Jimmy’s my age, actually—it's so wicked unfair that he has a life, an apartment, a girlfriend…and I have nothing.

All because of that blasted grocery store trip.


𝟽/𝟸𝟿/𝟸𝟶𝟸𝟿


“Thanks for coming to SayedStore,” the worker said in her sweet voice. The dark-haired lady handed me my bag, filled to the brim with snacks. Although her smile looked genuine, the lady said the parting words like the automated female voice on the Metro—no emotion, having said it thousands of times (although the Metro woman was a robot, I was sure, so she actually couldn’t have feelings).

I politely took the bag and quickly left the store. It was getting darker outside, but there were still loads of people. Hood up, glasses on, bag thrown over my shoulder; I hoped nobody bothered me.

I wanted to use the alley between SayedStore and Pompeya’s Pottery as my path home, because nobody would run into me there, but the last time I tried it, I got yelled at by an employee of the pottery shop who saw me through a camera.

My eyes scanned my surroundings. The spy cam outside Pompeya’s Pottery is the kind that swivels. I would just have to wait a moment.

A second later, the cam is facing the other way, so I darted down the alleyway.

The problem was, I had an extra ten pounds of snacks sling over my shoulder, plus a lot of heavy black clothes. And I’m not that fast anyways.

I cursed as I hid in the alleyway. I was almost certain Pomepeya would come out with a broom and tell me to scat out of the alley.

Which I didn’t even understand.

I heard a door creak open, probably the one in the back of the pottery shop, and I cursed even more as I jumped into a nearby dumpster. I did not want to have to walk home on the street, with tons of people.

But it wasn’t Pompeya that came out of the pottery shop.

Instead, it was two men scrambling out of the SayedStore.

They had black jumpsuits, and dark ski masks on. Both had brown hair and glinting blue eyes, but one was fat and the other skinny. They cackled with glee as they raced away.

I could smell something fishy from a mile away, and I wasn’t talking about tuna. Something was wrong here. But what?

I ducked back into the dumpster to think about what I had just witnessed, but I had my answer not a minute after the spectacle.

With a deafening BOOM!, the SayedStore exploded. 


𝟹/𝟷𝟽/𝟸𝟶𝟹𝟶


“Hey, Jimi,” I say wearily as the guard walks up to my bars.

He slides the printed video into my cell. “You have a couple minutes to watch that before Rachel”—he nods his head to the cell next to mine—“gets it.”

“Thanks, man,” I say, snatching the thin screen from the floor. I study the front screen: ʟᴏɴɢ-ᴛɪᴍᴇ, ᴜɴᴄᴀᴜɢʜᴛ ᴄʀɪᴍɪɴᴀʟs ʟᴏᴏᴋɪɴɢ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴇᴄʀᴜɪᴛs. Sounds interesting enough.

Jimi gives a grim wave and start to walk off, but I say, “Wait! Jim, before you leave, tell me a joke.” My friend/guard has a good sense of humor if you just ask him.

Jimi stops and says, “My girlfriend—you know, Maya?—and I often laugh about how competitive we are.” I nod and he delivers the punchline: “But I always laugh harder.” 

I crack a smile. “Nice.”

Jimi salutes me and walks off, so I click the video and watch my only bit of entertainment for the day.   


*


The video matched its title perfectly.

Two people in their mid-30s, accused of murders, robberies, blowing up buildings, as well as several small offenses, should’ve been in jail for life. Instead, they’ve been committing crimes for the past year.

Footage from a different jail shows they broke into the cell of a renowned criminal, and tried to talk him into joining them. When big names join the already-famous Broke Brothers (that’s what their called, and it used to be accurate, but after so many robberies, the well-known criminals are rich), it’s good for them.

The woman refused, so they left. They knew they were being filmed, so they vowed next time to bring a gun so they’d guaranteed get their allies.

As soon as I had finished watching the clips and reading the captions in the video, a BEOW!-BEOW!-BEOW! hammered into my ears.

I whipped my head up from the screen. The alarms were flashing red, emitting the sound that has only sliced through the air once in the time I’ve been at jail.

There’s an alert.

Guards race down the hallways to assist whatever the problem is, and metal blinds lower over every cell’s bars, shutting off all light except for the small lamps in our cells.

I’m alone in my cell, in this loud room.

But I’m actually not.

THUD.

CRACK.

“Boo-ya!”

I stare behind me, at a giant gap in the back of my cell’s wall. Light streams in from the outside, partially blocked by the figures of two black-clad men.

Their faces are covered by ski masks, but I recognize them.

I recognize them from the SayedStore all those months ago.

I also recognized them from something much, much more recently. 

“You,” I whisper, my voice raspy.

“Us,” they agree in unison.

The fat one pulls out a gun and points in at me as the two walk into my cell and plop down on the floor. “We only have a couple minutes,” he says, “and you know what we’re here for, don’t you?”

My throat feels dry but I still say, “Yes.”

I sit down to have a chat with the Broke Brothers. 


𝟽/𝟸𝟿/𝟸𝟶𝟸𝟿


Bombs.

That was what ran through my mind as I laid in the dumpster.

There were bombs.

My crumpled body could barely move, and my mind felt sluggish. My head hurt, too.

SayedStore was blown up, but I was alive, somehow. The dumpster walls had given me a little cover.

I sighed with relief as I repeated the thought:

I’m alive.

I heard police sirens in the distance as the throbbing in my head increased, and I drifted off into unconsciousness.


*


I awoke in a dim, cube-shaped room. Everything was gray—the walls, the ceiling, the floor, my clothes, the desk in the middle of the police officer and I….

The police officer?!

I tried to rub my eyes but found my hands were shackled.

“Whuh…what’s happening?” I said weakly, staring at the officer. Navy suit, badges, and cap. Dark-skinned and wearing a frown.

“You blew up a building,” he said.

I cringed. “No, no I—”

“We saw,” he said firmly. “There were cameras. A black-clad figure in the store, planting the bomb. Then you, walking out of the store in black clothes, looking around, and creeping into the alleyway.”

“I can explai—”

“YOU CAN’T EXPLAIN!” The officer roared. Then he continued in a hushed voice: “Dozens died. Dozens more were injured. All the evidence points to you.” 

My head was spinning. It was true. All the evidence did point to me. I didn’t do it, but the officer—the world didn’t know that.

“Seriously, I can explain,” I whispered.

The police officer frowned. “You’ll get a chance to. At your trial. And if you’re found guilty? Well, you’ll be rewarded with life in jail.”


𝟹/𝟷𝟽/𝟸𝟶𝟹𝟶


“Why me?” 

Those words wrestle control of my mouth, popping out first instead of the dozens of other questions I have once the Broke Brother finish explaining.

“Why me?” I repeat. 

The men share a look. “What?” Blake, the skinny brother, says.

“You could’ve chosen anyone,” I say, “any criminal at all. Some people are much older than me, and have done loads of awful things. Why me?”

“You blew up a building,” Bryson, the fat one, says.

“You’re famous for that,” Blake adds.

“In fact, your young age is even more remarkable,” Bryson says.

I shook my head. “But I didn’t even do that. You guys did it, and I got blamed. Which is why I’m in this frickin’ cell. So why me?”

“As you just said, public thinks you blew up the building,” Blake says. “We did it, but the name ‘Zane Khatri’ is linked to that explosion.”

“When you join us,” Bryson says, “your name will add to the fear the Broke Brothers already represents. It’ll be awesome.”

“‘When’?” I say.

The brothers share another look. “Yes…?” Blake says.

I tut-tut-tut at them. “You mean if.”

“No,” Bryson snarls, his fingers reaching for the gun by his side. “When. It’s going to happen. We have a gun.”

“So?” I shrug. “I’m not joining you.”

Blake smiles coldly as Bryson points the weapon at me once again. “Okay, then. In that case, you’ll pay the price for refusing our offer.”

I just smiled, too.

I had a gun pointed at my face….

But….


𝟽/𝟸𝟿/𝟸𝟶𝟸𝟿


I had bad luck.

Naturally, I lost the court case.

I explained the reasons why all the evidence looked like I exploded the SayedStore. I wanted Cheetos. I hated people. End of story.

But they chose to believe their eyes and not my words.

I pleaded innocent. Which was the whole reason the trial happened, but I pleaded innocent there, too. I said what happened. I said I was telling the truth. My mother insisted I was innocent, saying I was at SayedStore for snacks. Nope.

The officers even showed me the footage and, just my luck, only one of the Broke Brothers were caught onscreen—and just a sliver of him. Enough to show the color of his clothes, but not the clothes he was wearing.

Life in prison.

Such a nice thing for an eighteen-year-old to have.  

Because of the explosion, I became one of the most famous teenagers of the decade. I was Zane Khatri, the crazy criminal.

I always wanted to be famous.

But not the kind of famous where I have to meet fans.

The kind of famous where people’s minds flash to me often, but I don’t have to interact with anybody.

I guess I got my wish.

Famous, in jail.

Delightful.


𝟹/𝟷𝟽/𝟸𝟶𝟹𝟶


….I know something the Broke Brothers don’t.

Right before Bryson shoots, both brothers are tackled from behind. They fall to the ground with a thud, moaning.

Jimi and a couple other guards proudly stand in the hole to my cell. The other guards rush to shackle the Broke Brothers, but Jimi walks up to me.

“You saw, right?” I say.

Jimi grins. “Yeah, buddy.”

Because here’s the thing—there are security cameras in each cell. Which a couple guards always watch during lockdowns.

So I was saved….

And the secret is out.

I didn’t set up the bombs.

The Broke Brothers did.


*


I stare up at the judge, the same one who judged at my first trial. With all the ‘new evidence’, they called another trial—and the judge is about to announce it.

Everyone gazes at the plump man. The room is tenser than the Olympics, as everyone radiates worries, wondering what my sentence will be.

Finally, the judge booms, “INNOCENT!”

Cries of joy echo in the court. From my family, from my bro Jimi, and loudest of all, from me.

My mouth muscles are sore as I stretch my smile to its capacity—I didn’t grin much in jail or normal life. I dash over to my mother, who didn’t give up on me whole time I was in prison, and try to hug her.

My bound arms didn’t get far with the gesture of embrace.

“Can you….” I start to the officers present, but Jimi is already on it. He lifts the copper key to my handcuffs I had to wear at the trial, and inserts the shining key into the hole. 

With a click, the cuffs that have bound my life for months fall to the floor.


September 03, 2020 21:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

285 comments

I love the last sentence. The metaphor for both freedom of body and mind. Great writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Keerththan 😀
13:29 Sep 24, 2020

The starting is very funny and having cheetos in the story is very funny and new.(anyways, this prompts is funny) I loved reading this like any of your stories. The ending is also very content. It didn't have a bad ending or somewhat. Keep writing. Waiting for your next.. (Sorry for the asking without commenting. )

Reply

21:18 Sep 24, 2020

Thanks! (Haha, no problem! I commented on yours just now!;

Reply

Keerththan 😀
02:00 Sep 25, 2020

Welcome! (saw it just now! Thanks😉😜)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
08:56 Sep 15, 2020

Yup...? Is that what you meant when you said say yup or nope in the comments?

Reply

11:49 Sep 15, 2020

Ooh, you DO understand it? Noice.

Reply

11:54 Sep 15, 2020

Noice Lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
11:58 Sep 15, 2020

Btw check out my new story! it the first time I wrote in epistolary structure (the letter structure like your story "dear Mimi"

Reply

12:28 Sep 15, 2020

M’kay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
00:21 Sep 15, 2020

AMAZING...JUST AMAZING 💜

Reply

00:59 Sep 15, 2020

THANK YOU!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hana Amirdash
17:54 Sep 10, 2020

Wow! The intro was great and really hooked me. I happen to think the that the last sentence was very well done. All in all a good story! I do think, however, that the transitions between scene to scene/flashback to flashback could have been a bit smoother. Overall, well done!

Reply

21:23 Sep 10, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
C Davis
23:04 Sep 09, 2020

I really love this story! It is really creative and made you want to keep reading and have more! I thought it was really funny when you were describing all of the bad luck with the cat incident. I also really liked how you switched off with the dates, very cool:) Something I would maybe try to avoid in future stories is identifying characters by their body weight like you did with the Broke Brothers. I think that if it is important for the story or you really want to build character development then you can find a way to respectfully put it...

Reply

23:15 Sep 09, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Regina Perry
14:15 Sep 06, 2020

This story's in a slightly different style from your usual. Did you write it as Jacob Chase? 😄 I did catch a bunch of small grammatical errors, but I won't point out specifics because it's too late to fix them. In future, just be a little more careful about pluralisation and when you use I/me. "I" is a subject, "me" is an object. You do a great job with the flashbacks, and I like the ending. His mouth muscles being sore was a nice touch. For Zane, that simple smile was as dramatic as an explosion.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Saron Mengistu
08:52 Sep 06, 2020

AERIN!! Oh my god, congrats on being number one!! You frikkin earned it girlie!! I am so damn proud of you. That is the first thing I wanna say. Amazing job. YOU.ARE.A.QUEEN. Okay, let's be serious. Beautiful tale. Lively. Wonderful. Your stories never fail to impress me. I love the characterization of Zane, it's subtle yet so on point and well-constructed. I also REALLY liked he way you portrayed prison life. Beautiful work!! Mechanical errors here and there, and typos. I'd run it through an editor to fix them. It's quite minor, and ...

Reply

12:06 Sep 06, 2020

Ahhh thank you!! Yippeee, I’m a queen...😂 Couldn’t have done it without y’all! Thanks! Yay, thank you even more!! I‘m glad you liked it!! Thanks! ~Aerin

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lulu Lemon
00:01 Sep 06, 2020

Hi!! This story was super good! I like how you made it in the future, and with different laws than now. The last part of the story ( when he got out ) was super good and heartwarming. I like how you did the whole story in this story and didn't leave it on a cliffhanger or anything. ( If you could please check my bio, it's not very important, I just don't want you to think I was ignoring you (You will understand if you read it))

Reply

00:53 Sep 06, 2020

Thank you! Okay, read your bio! Enjoy your vacation!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
15:45 Sep 05, 2020

Heyyy, check out my daily random?? :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Meggy House
14:30 Sep 05, 2020

Woah. This story was intense. I love your imagery, I love Zane's characterization...the whole thing kept me intrigued even though it is a longer story. And your opening really hooked me in; you escalated it marvelously. If you wouldn't mind, could you read one of my stories? This is my first time in a competition and I would love feedback! :)

Reply

14:32 Sep 05, 2020

Thank you so much!! I’m glad you enjoyed it!! Of course! But I’m a bit busy right now so you’ll get feedback in a couple hours ;)

Reply

Meggy House
14:42 Sep 05, 2020

That's lovely; thank you! Best of luck to whatever you're doing right now!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
11:02 Sep 05, 2020

1. Yay! WooHoo 2. Yup, I like it as well! I might even try it out myself! (of course, if you allow me... lol!) 3. Loved the ending, it was fine! 4. Smart keeping it in the future, cause even if you have done a bit of research. sometimes it turns out wrong, so you can say no one knows whats gonna happen then! 5. I do both! 6. OMG, you used my name!!! Idk, if it was a nod to me or someone else but Yay! I'm soo happy! 7. Yup, It worked, but the first few lines even hooked me! 8. You too! bye!

Reply

11:46 Sep 05, 2020

Yaaaay thank you, Rachel! (Oh, and yeah, I had you in mind picking your name...)

Reply

11:53 Sep 05, 2020

Thx!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
S. Closson
10:14 Sep 05, 2020

This was a very good story! I quite enjoyed the way you had it formatted as well, I think it really aided in telling Zane's unlucky tale. I did want to let you know that there was a small typo where I think you missed an 'm' in the sentence: "My dad’s pants caught fire, so he whipped the, off and coincidentally passed the flames to the kitchen towel." Also, I liked how you humanized Jimi the Guard instead of making him some angry meat head. It was a neat take!

Reply

11:45 Sep 05, 2020

Thank you!! Yay, I’m glad the format worked. Ohh, thanks for catching that! Hehe, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
<inactive> .
10:00 Sep 05, 2020

Oof the hook was amazing! I came here for advice and ended up reading anyways lol Ok I have a question- how long should I make chapters of a book? Yup I'm writing a book, and in the second POV because I have a very nice and comfy relationship with it, unlike first POV. So far I've kept the chapters around 400 words in average, is that ok?

Reply

11:43 Sep 05, 2020

YAAAAY I’M SO GLAD! *ahem* sorry, I just spent literally 10 minutes picking out the hook. Thanks for reading! Woo, nice you’re writing a book! Although if you plan on self-publishing it or doing something with it, you might want to switch to another POV, because novels are 99.999% of the time not in 2nd person. It’s not really a novel genre, but if you’re just writing a book as a hobby, you do you! Hmm, 400 words. Well, all novel chapters ranges are different, but hmm. So. The average page is around 200-250 words, right? That’s around ...

Reply

<inactive> .
11:50 Sep 05, 2020

Ohh ok sure! Thanks! I think I'm going to extend them a bit and if that doesn't work I'll just mush 'em together! Thanks so much! Also, do you know the writer Courtney Stuart? She started college but I haven't heard from her in a month so kind of worried

Reply

11:54 Sep 05, 2020

😄😄😄 Hmm, yeah. Well, here’s her most recent comment: ‘hi there! i will try to get to your story as soon as possible. it might be a while because i'm going to be very busy in the next few weeks, but i will try! thank you for reaching out!’ That was a couple weeks ago, so I guess it makes sense she hasn’t responded since then because she said she’s super busy!

Reply

<inactive> .
04:14 Sep 06, 2020

Oh thanks! Idk about anyone else, but Reedsy is kinda like my writing family! More like that we're all just one big family and story powerhouse. oof thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:10 Sep 05, 2020

Hi Aerin! Great job! You made it on first place!!! Woohoo!!! I think it is was a great story. I don't think that the ending was too dramatic, I think it was great! Mind checking out my new story?

Reply

00:18 Sep 05, 2020

Thank you so much!! Yeah, I’d love to check out your story! But I’m about to go to bed so please remind me in the morning

Reply

00:36 Sep 05, 2020

Oh well! In Toronto it is 8:30, so I ain't going to sleep yet!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
23:24 Sep 04, 2020

Wow, this was soo cool! I loved it! I really liked the format! Great job!

Reply

23:39 Sep 04, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Avery G.
23:48 Sep 04, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
20:06 Sep 04, 2020

Aerin! You scared us by changing your name, silly! But you're getting so much better. :) I enjoyed the story, my pirate friend.

Reply

20:12 Sep 04, 2020

Hehe! It’s really funny reading the responses of those who noticed, lol...I’ll change back it my real identity soon. Thank you so much, my pirate friend! Also, I love your new bio....YESSS MAJESTIC UNICORN QUEEN! Although I am a rainbow queen who rides on unicorns, soooo...MUAHAHAHA! And thanks for including me in your bioooo!

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:12 Sep 04, 2020

Hehe! It’s really funny reading the responses of those who noticed, lol...I’ll change back it my real identity soon. Thank you so much, my pirate friend! Also, I love your new bio....YESSS MAJESTIC UNICORN QUEEN! Although I am a rainbow queen who rides on unicorns, soooo...MUAHAHAHA! And thanks for including me in your bioooo!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Jaya Avendel
20:00 Sep 04, 2020

Love the opening lines and the story as it unfolds! It is not often Cheetos craving sends a person to jail.

Reply

20:01 Sep 04, 2020

Thank you! Haha, yup!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
19:27 Sep 04, 2020

Aerin, is this you? Why did you change your name?

Reply

19:30 Sep 04, 2020

Yeaaaah it’s me! You can read my bio...Idk...I just wanted to see how people would react if I suddenly said Aerin Brooke may or may or may not be my pen name/personality! Do you think I’ve been faking this whole time or I really am I girl named Aerin?

Reply

Megan Sutherland
19:36 Sep 04, 2020

I think you're really a girl named aerin....

Reply

19:58 Sep 04, 2020

😎

Reply

Megan Sutherland
21:20 Sep 04, 2020

Haha ok, I was surprised there for a sec

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
19:37 Sep 04, 2020

I feel really awkward right now

Reply

19:58 Sep 04, 2020

I literally cracked up while reading that. Luckily I’m lying in my bunk bed, alone, or else my sister would look an me like I’m crazy. Which I am, but still...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Megan Sutherland
19:38 Sep 04, 2020

Are you a girl named Aerin?

Reply

19:59 Sep 04, 2020

Yessss I am! Jacob is my new ~aLtEr IdEnTiTy~

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Moji Sola
18:42 Sep 04, 2020

This was a really good story! Took me a while to get the 'past and present' thing. But once I did, it was smooth sailing. And yes, I loved the simple ending. It made me sigh😌

Reply

18:43 Sep 04, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.