403 comments

Fiction

Authors note: Hey everyone! Hope y'all are having an amazing Monday.  Just wanted to say a few things real quick.


  1. This story was made with B.W. If you want to see part 2, make sure to check out her page. I hope you guys all like it!
  2. QOTD: have you ever had/do you have braces?
  3. I hope this was better than my previous ones. I put some more thought into it.
  4. Would you ever want to see part 3?? Let me know!
  5. 4 DAYS TILL CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!
  6. This is super duper random, buuuuutttt I’m getting (ugh) braces on. I’m so nervous, wish me luck! (hehe get it, cuz the girls name is Lucky winkwinkwinkwinkwinkwink.


Unlucky Lucky

     I stared out my dirty window and gazed at the boys and girls cheerfully playing outside. I wish I wasn't like this. I wish I wasn't the poor shy girl who couldn't say anything to anyone. My whole life had been poor. figuratively and literally. Sighing I turned away and looked around my room. A layer of dirt covered the ground and my blanket had more holes than cloth. All of my clothes were donations from a local charity. I didn't have a father, only a mother who worked day and night to provide for both of us. She came home exhausted and fell asleep immediately. I went to school during the daytime and cried myself to sleep at night. Each day, tears of self-pity leaked from my face and stained my pillow. Life was a big, dirt-filled piece of waste.

     It was almost Christmastime and all the children spoke of what they wanted for Christmas in class. When the teacher asked me, I mumbled ”food”, barely loud enough for anyone to hear. Miss Thompson cleared her throat and continued her reading. That's the problem; no one is willing to lend a hand. They simply look past you and pretend nothing happened. They're afraid, I'm not sure what of, but everyone tries to get away from me when I talk to them. Everyone thinks they're better than the last one and don't take time to recognize someone in need. Another thing that I hated was my name. I was called Lucky. So unfitting. My life was anything but lucky. Sometimes I heard snickers in the back of the class when Teacher took the role. My existence seemed to not matter as I appeared to float through classes like a hallucination to everyone. The so-called, gossip girls laughed at my knotted, waist-length, raven-colored hair. I tried to brush it out using items around the house, but I always ended up frustrated with myself and gave up. As you could probably tell, my home life sucked. I thought everyone hated me until I saw what waited for me on Christmas day…

      “Lucky!” I heard my mother’s voice drift upstairs. I awoke from my slumber and stumbled across the dusty floor and into the living room. I knew my mother didn’t get me a present. I didn’t mind, we had a nice meal on Christmas instead. 

“Yeah?” I called back.

“I think you should look outside the door,” she said, with a hint of confusion on her face. I shrugged and opened up the door, barely held together by a few screws. Peering outside I noticed a cage. My curiosity led me to the porch where I glanced inside the enclosure. All of a sudden, a bird flew around in it. I gasped, it was the most exotic looking bird I had ever seen. Large blue spots were scattered across his body, and his wings were a brilliant white. They reminded me of blueberries. Blueberry. I thought. That's what I’ll call you. Beside the cage was a lifetime supply of birdseed and toys. My eyes grew hot and tears welled up behind them. This was the best gift I had ever received! Who would give me such a wonderful thing?

”Momma who-” I stopped short when I saw she was crying. She didn't know either. I brought the magnificent bird inside, but soon realized my dirty room was no place for him. In a flash, determination coursed through my veins. Something I had never felt before. In a frenzy, I swept the dust outside the window and patched up my old quilt with the extra cloth I had laying around. This was the best thing that had happened to me. I had something to take care of, and that made me have a motherly instinct to protect the bird. Finally, it was finished. With satisfaction, I set Blueberry on my window seat so he could peer outside. For a while, I was satisfied just watching him play around, but then I wanted to do more. I wanted to play with him. I cautiously opened the door and stuck my hand inside the cage, fishing around for the bird. Before I had time to react, Blueberry fluttered his wings and flew out. Why did he want to get away from me? Is he just like everyone else? Pushing the thought away quickly, I staggered around the room trying to find him. When he was located in my rat-filled closet, I let out an audible gulp. I knew I had to get him out. I shook slightly as I made my way through the small space. I thought I could feel spiders crawl up my legs, and mice nibbling at my heels. When I finally found my bird I grabbed him before he had any chance of getting away again. He squirmed the whole way through the closet, and back to his cage. I didn't know why he kept trying to get away, but I did know that tomorrow was a new day. And as I climbed in bed, I knew I would have to make him like me, for he was my one and only friend.


Another note: thank you guys so much if you read til the end! Also sorry this is so short. I’m going to have to work on that for sure. Again, be sure and check out part 2 on B.W’s page!!!! And thank you B.W for collaborating with me! It was so much fun.

December 21, 2020 19:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

403 comments

Wolfy 🐺
14:37 Jan 04, 2021

Hallo. Raquel told me about you :3. Great story! Even though it's short, you still manage to make it fun to read and well-developed. w o w :>

Reply

✨Abby ✨
22:52 Jan 05, 2021

Oh hey! Awww Raquel is so sweet. Thank you so much!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
22:58 Jan 05, 2021

ikr😇

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
13:03 Dec 30, 2020

Nice work, Abby! You’ve set up such an interesting character in Lucky and given us a tantalizing bit of mystery with the sudden arrival of Blueberry. You’ve picked great names btw. You’ve roped me in so well that I’m going to head over tonBW’s page and pick it up there. Good luck with the braces!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Akshaya ✨
12:08 Dec 30, 2020

Hi Abby! I really liked reading your story! You conveyed Lucky's life and her thoughts so well. Though it was a little short, I enjoyed reading it very much! I like the title, though! Great work, and happy writing! :)

Reply

✨Abby ✨
00:49 Dec 31, 2020

Oh thank you! Yes it is quite short unfortunately.

Reply

Akshaya ✨
09:09 Dec 31, 2020

It was very gripping, though! :)

Reply

✨Abby ✨
17:00 Dec 31, 2020

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:41 Dec 28, 2020

Could you write a story dedicated to me? I know that's kind of weird, but you said you would your bio and I'm the kind of weirdo who reds bios before submissions... Thank you so much!!!!!b

Reply

✨Abby ✨
18:15 Dec 28, 2020

Yeah of course! I would love to. Do you have a certain prompt you would like it to be for?

Reply

20:00 Dec 28, 2020

Not really, anything you do for me I know I'll like :)

Reply

✨Abby ✨
17:57 Dec 29, 2020

Okay cool! Is there anything special you would like me to put in it?

Reply

21:39 Dec 29, 2020

Could my character have green hair? That's a little weird, but I like green hair and have a few highlights myself.

Reply

✨Abby ✨
02:26 Dec 30, 2020

Yeah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ken Coomes
16:43 Dec 26, 2020

A poignant story, well written. There are a few errors in punctuation and grammar, but nothing significant enough to worry about (proofreaders, editors, and re-writes exist for a reason.) Good story-telling, tough subject matter (it's even tough for many to write about the disenfranchised). Good job!

Reply

✨Abby ✨
02:09 Dec 28, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:32 Dec 24, 2020

I still have braces. Have had them for sooooooooo long. My friend Luke's and them since eh was one and he's a teenager now, though. Just got em off. And yes, part 3! Also, B. W. is great, can't wait to see their part.

Reply

✨Abby ✨
19:41 Dec 24, 2020

Oh you do? Cool! How long? Is that Litlover? You would want part 3?? I know she's AWESOME

Reply

15:42 Dec 25, 2020

Nah, he doesn't do Reedsy, he isn't liltover. And not since eh was one, since he was ten! Silly autocorrect. I think he's fourteen or something? Yeah, part 3 would rock! :)

Reply

✨Abby ✨
18:48 Dec 25, 2020

Ohh ok 😆

Reply

21:03 Dec 25, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:32 Dec 24, 2020

Hola

Reply

✨Abby ✨
19:28 Dec 24, 2020

Hey girl hey

Reply

B. W.
20:29 Dec 24, 2020

do you see the new prompts or is it just me??

Reply

✨Abby ✨
20:32 Dec 24, 2020

I do! I like them better than the last one. Do you like them?

Reply

B. W.
20:32 Dec 24, 2020

I kinda do, but why did they show up now? the new prompts usually show up on Friday and stuff

Reply

✨Abby ✨
20:36 Dec 24, 2020

I know I was wondering the same. Maybe cuz Christmas?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

WHY IS UR BIO SO PERFECT... I came from the link from Aerin's page! You're awesome! I liked all of your stories a long time ago and I love reading them again :3

Reply

✨Abby ✨
06:07 Dec 24, 2020

Really you think it’s good??? Wow I didn’t think so 😳. Thank you so much!!! You are so sweeeeettttt!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Izzie Chan
01:35 Dec 24, 2020

I have braces! I got them last year. They’re SUPER uncomfortable and they hurt like hell at first, but you’ll get used to it eventually, lol (another downside of them, though, is that food ALWAYS gets stuck in them. It’s so annoying. But they correct your teeth, so I guess its worth the pain, lmao). How was the first day? Hey Abby! This was an amazing story! It was short, but I really enjoyed reading it, since your word choice and topic immediately drew me in. Like Amany Eland said before me, if you want to make your story longer, don’t do ...

Reply

✨Abby ✨
01:40 Dec 24, 2020

Oh I’m glad I’m not the only one. The first day was okay but the second was like owowowowow. And thank you! I’m going to lengthen it I just haven’t got the time too yet. Merry Christmas to you too!!!! Your welcome!

Reply

Izzie Chan
01:50 Dec 24, 2020

Oh, ouch, haha. That’s what it was like for me, too. But don’t worry, the pain will go away after like a week, lol. No problem! Oh okay, cool! I’m looking forward to that! Yayyyy lol! Also, I just read your bio. Happy early birthday! 🥳

Reply

✨Abby ✨
01:54 Dec 24, 2020

Phew ok good 😀 Thank you!!!

Reply

Izzie Chan
01:56 Dec 24, 2020

lmao you’re welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
23:21 Dec 23, 2020

i have some news for ya

Reply

✨Abby ✨
23:26 Dec 23, 2020

Oh? What is it?

Reply

B. W.
23:27 Dec 23, 2020

I found a downvoter.

Reply

✨Abby ✨
23:28 Dec 23, 2020

What you did?!?!?! Who is it????

Reply

B. W.
23:36 Dec 23, 2020

blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/jane-plane/comments/ this person.

Reply

✨Abby ✨
23:39 Dec 23, 2020

Really? How did you find out? I saw she commented on Laibas story and it seems like she's against the downvoters.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
05:14 Dec 22, 2020

Hey :) How are you? Are you on break right now, just wondering? Also, I read your Blueberry bird story (part one and two) and I really loved it!

Reply

✨Abby ✨
05:16 Dec 22, 2020

Hey! I’m good! You? And if you mean for school, then yes. Are you? Thank you so much!

Reply

Maya -
05:20 Dec 22, 2020

Yeah, I meant holiday break for school. I'm on break too so I'm reading and writing a lot on Reedsy during the extra time. :) And, you're welcome. :D

Reply

✨Abby ✨
05:21 Dec 22, 2020

Same here!

Reply

Maya -
05:22 Dec 22, 2020

Yay! Do you celebrate Christmas or another holiday?

Reply

✨Abby ✨
05:24 Dec 22, 2020

Yeah! I celebrated Christmas. And I’m guessing you do bc of your profile pic.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilah Blackburn
01:42 Dec 22, 2020

I don’t have braces. Really well written story. It’s definitely a good story. Maybe (nudge nudge) help me with a story. Thankssssss

Reply

✨Abby ✨
01:43 Dec 22, 2020

Yeah, but your dentist said you might need them. And thank you! Would you want to collab on a story for the next set of prompts?

Reply

Lilah Blackburn
01:44 Dec 22, 2020

Of course!! We will be great friends. And how do you know she said that??

Reply

✨Abby ✨
01:45 Dec 22, 2020

Cool! I think so too! And I've just been stalking you on the interweb lol.

Reply

Lilah Blackburn
01:46 Dec 22, 2020

Oh ok... I heard you had a pony what breed is it???

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lilah Blackburn
01:46 Dec 22, 2020

Oh ok... I heard you had a pony what breed is it???

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lilah Blackburn
01:46 Dec 22, 2020

Oh ok... I heard you had a pony what breed is it???

Reply

✨Abby ✨
01:47 Dec 22, 2020

Yeah hope ya don't mind! And yeah, I have an Arab QH mix and a QH. do you have one ? And what's her name?

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 5 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
21:43 Dec 21, 2020

Nope, never had braces. I have three pet parakeets. Tittle suggestion: Unlucky Lucky Great story! Came after reading Hope's part. It was really well written and I enjoyed it. it was a LITTLE short, but I'll just take it as flash fiction. If you want a longer story, consider adding details, and don't rush. For example, don't skip time. Instead of 'after two hours..." write those two hours! What's happening? Just write it out. All the actions.

Reply

✨Abby ✨
23:42 Dec 21, 2020

Ah. Lucky. I have to get them tomorrow actually. Ahhh I like that title! Thank you! Is Hope B.W’s real name? Yeah I coulfny think if what else to write. I will take those suggestions to make it longer. Thank you!

Reply

01:46 Dec 23, 2020

wOoHoO i have braces 2! im so busy that I haven't read this yet, but i know it will be good. 😊 I WILL READ IT SOON - Amethyst

Reply

✨Abby ✨
06:42 Dec 23, 2020

Oh really? Cool! Did it hurt when you first got them on? And ugh I'm so mad I can't eat any hard foods and it's CHRISTMAS. And thanks!

Reply

17:58 Dec 23, 2020

ikkk. actually, when you first get them, that's when they hurt the most. you feel like I WANT TO RIP THESE OFF, but when they change the elastics, it just feels tight. so after the time they put it on, it doesn't rEaLLy hurt. (at least for me) 😘

Reply

19:36 Dec 24, 2020

Headgear is the worst. Would rather they just pulled my teeth out. Every night it feels like your teeth are getting pulled out of place because-- GUESS WHAT THAT'S WHAT IT DOES! Although my teeth were so bad when I was little that even now it's like I'm two different people. If you come across that option, just get some teeth pulled, unless you can endure weird jaw pain, jaw clicking, jaw popping, and sleeping with a metal thing readjusting your face.

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
05:27 Dec 22, 2020

Oh, No Hope isn't my real name, its just a nickname some people call me along with B. My real name still starts with a B, B.W is my initals. Barely anyone knows my real name though on here :/

Reply

✨Abby ✨
05:34 Dec 22, 2020

Ohhh okay. That makes a lot more sense 😆

Reply

B. W.
05:38 Dec 22, 2020

You can me Hope as well if ya want? Or B?

Reply

✨Abby ✨
05:39 Dec 22, 2020

Okay cool. I might call you both tbh.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
01:30 Jan 05, 2021

I might do a story with friends on Reedsy, and I would like to put you in it, so what would you want your character's personalty/ physical description/ special skills/ spirit animal (if I do animals) to be? :)

Reply

✨Abby ✨
22:50 Jan 05, 2021

Omg really?!?!? I'm so exciteddddd. Hmm leys seeeee so my personality is shy around new people but suuupppeeerrr outgoing around people I know. I talk a lot sometimes too much. I like to think of myself as funny 😄 lol. Hmmm I don't really know any special skills. Not sure what my spirit animal is. Maybe a horse? (no not because it's my favorite animal lol) I have brown/dark blonde hair. It's really long. It's curly but a straighten it a lot. I'm pretty tall for my age. I have light brown eyes that sometimes look grey lol. I hope that helps!

Reply

Maya -
23:05 Jan 05, 2021

Thanks that's really helpful! :)

Reply

✨Abby ✨
00:44 Jan 06, 2021

Ofc!

Reply

Maya -
02:36 Jan 09, 2021

I submitted the spirit animal story and you're mentioned in it. It's called "Endings and New Beginnings" :D

Reply

✨Abby ✨
05:25 Jan 09, 2021

Omg yayyyy!!! I’ll check it out now

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
00:50 Jan 06, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
07:30 Jan 11, 2021

Heya

Reply

✨Abby ✨
17:20 Jan 11, 2021

Hey! What you up to?

Reply

B. W.
17:43 Jan 11, 2021

I'm trying to come up with a story

Reply

✨Abby ✨
18:11 Jan 11, 2021

for what prompt?

Reply

B. W.
18:23 Jan 11, 2021

Just really any of them

Reply

✨Abby ✨
18:25 Jan 11, 2021

Do ya need any help?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:43 Dec 24, 2020

YESSSSSS I GOT YOU TO 10K POINTS EXACTLYYYYY WOOOOOOOOOO CONGRATSSSSSSSSS ON ...a perfect number? I’ll go check your place on the leaderboard lol

Reply

13:47 Dec 24, 2020

Hold up, update: wow, I was confuzzled. Nevermind. Oop. I got you to 1k, not 10k, lol. I totally misread how many points you had. And that was really confusing cuz I kept checking 12th place but you weren’t there?? Wut?? Thennnnn I came back here, was like ‘ohhhhh’ and...yea. I WILL get you on the leaderboard soon thooo

Reply

✨Abby ✨
16:32 Dec 24, 2020

OMG THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.