403 comments

Fiction

Authors note: Hey everyone! Hope y'all are having an amazing Monday.  Just wanted to say a few things real quick.


  1. This story was made with B.W. If you want to see part 2, make sure to check out her page. I hope you guys all like it!
  2. QOTD: have you ever had/do you have braces?
  3. I hope this was better than my previous ones. I put some more thought into it.
  4. Would you ever want to see part 3?? Let me know!
  5. 4 DAYS TILL CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!
  6. This is super duper random, buuuuutttt I’m getting (ugh) braces on. I’m so nervous, wish me luck! (hehe get it, cuz the girls name is Lucky winkwinkwinkwinkwinkwink.


Unlucky Lucky

     I stared out my dirty window and gazed at the boys and girls cheerfully playing outside. I wish I wasn't like this. I wish I wasn't the poor shy girl who couldn't say anything to anyone. My whole life had been poor. figuratively and literally. Sighing I turned away and looked around my room. A layer of dirt covered the ground and my blanket had more holes than cloth. All of my clothes were donations from a local charity. I didn't have a father, only a mother who worked day and night to provide for both of us. She came home exhausted and fell asleep immediately. I went to school during the daytime and cried myself to sleep at night. Each day, tears of self-pity leaked from my face and stained my pillow. Life was a big, dirt-filled piece of waste.

     It was almost Christmastime and all the children spoke of what they wanted for Christmas in class. When the teacher asked me, I mumbled ”food”, barely loud enough for anyone to hear. Miss Thompson cleared her throat and continued her reading. That's the problem; no one is willing to lend a hand. They simply look past you and pretend nothing happened. They're afraid, I'm not sure what of, but everyone tries to get away from me when I talk to them. Everyone thinks they're better than the last one and don't take time to recognize someone in need. Another thing that I hated was my name. I was called Lucky. So unfitting. My life was anything but lucky. Sometimes I heard snickers in the back of the class when Teacher took the role. My existence seemed to not matter as I appeared to float through classes like a hallucination to everyone. The so-called, gossip girls laughed at my knotted, waist-length, raven-colored hair. I tried to brush it out using items around the house, but I always ended up frustrated with myself and gave up. As you could probably tell, my home life sucked. I thought everyone hated me until I saw what waited for me on Christmas day…

      “Lucky!” I heard my mother’s voice drift upstairs. I awoke from my slumber and stumbled across the dusty floor and into the living room. I knew my mother didn’t get me a present. I didn’t mind, we had a nice meal on Christmas instead. 

“Yeah?” I called back.

“I think you should look outside the door,” she said, with a hint of confusion on her face. I shrugged and opened up the door, barely held together by a few screws. Peering outside I noticed a cage. My curiosity led me to the porch where I glanced inside the enclosure. All of a sudden, a bird flew around in it. I gasped, it was the most exotic looking bird I had ever seen. Large blue spots were scattered across his body, and his wings were a brilliant white. They reminded me of blueberries. Blueberry. I thought. That's what I’ll call you. Beside the cage was a lifetime supply of birdseed and toys. My eyes grew hot and tears welled up behind them. This was the best gift I had ever received! Who would give me such a wonderful thing?

”Momma who-” I stopped short when I saw she was crying. She didn't know either. I brought the magnificent bird inside, but soon realized my dirty room was no place for him. In a flash, determination coursed through my veins. Something I had never felt before. In a frenzy, I swept the dust outside the window and patched up my old quilt with the extra cloth I had laying around. This was the best thing that had happened to me. I had something to take care of, and that made me have a motherly instinct to protect the bird. Finally, it was finished. With satisfaction, I set Blueberry on my window seat so he could peer outside. For a while, I was satisfied just watching him play around, but then I wanted to do more. I wanted to play with him. I cautiously opened the door and stuck my hand inside the cage, fishing around for the bird. Before I had time to react, Blueberry fluttered his wings and flew out. Why did he want to get away from me? Is he just like everyone else? Pushing the thought away quickly, I staggered around the room trying to find him. When he was located in my rat-filled closet, I let out an audible gulp. I knew I had to get him out. I shook slightly as I made my way through the small space. I thought I could feel spiders crawl up my legs, and mice nibbling at my heels. When I finally found my bird I grabbed him before he had any chance of getting away again. He squirmed the whole way through the closet, and back to his cage. I didn't know why he kept trying to get away, but I did know that tomorrow was a new day. And as I climbed in bed, I knew I would have to make him like me, for he was my one and only friend.


Another note: thank you guys so much if you read til the end! Also sorry this is so short. I’m going to have to work on that for sure. Again, be sure and check out part 2 on B.W’s page!!!! And thank you B.W for collaborating with me! It was so much fun.

December 21, 2020 19:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

403 comments

✨Abby ✨
20:50 Dec 21, 2020

I'm stuck on the title. Any ideas? Best suggestion wins 🏆.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
11:39 Jan 12, 2021

don't worry Abby I did upvote you like many points. I did not even count it because you are a genuine writer that needs our immense support. Don't worry you will be back on the leaderboard. I was the first person who kinda saw you see downvoted. I immediately told the Marshmallow community and see you are reviving back. Don't worry. By the way, I have submitted a new story would love your feedback on it.

Reply

✨Abby ✨
17:08 Jan 12, 2021

Oh my gosh really?????? Thank you so muchhhhh!!!! Your awesome!! I'll check it out right away

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:40 Jan 12, 2021

No, need to thank me. I am here your friend, and I will help you whenever I can. I contacted Luke and Jeannie immediately. I contacted other people but they did not help like these both did. You ever 39 it really made me sad. SO stay strong.

Reply

✨Abby ✨
20:51 Jan 12, 2021

awww you are so sweet! What are Luke and Jeannie's accounts? So I can thank them.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
03:30 Jan 13, 2021

You can see them on the leader board.

Reply

✨Abby ✨
04:00 Jan 13, 2021

Are Luke and Jeannie their usernames?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
02:28 Jan 12, 2021

Abby what's going on? Are you okay? What has been happening to you on here? I'm so sorry for anything that might've made you feel terrible, you don't deserve anything like that.

Reply

✨Abby ✨
04:23 Jan 12, 2021

oh, I believe you mean concerning my bio. And in that case, yea I kinda wrote that in a hurry because I was upset I got downvoted 2000 points in one night. I don't know if I'll leave I just want a place that I can receive feedback on my stories and not worry about downvoting. If that makes sense.

Reply

Amaya .
04:47 Jan 12, 2021

got it, got it. i think the best thing to do is just let go of caring about karma at all, but that's just my suggestion

Reply

✨Abby ✨
05:56 Jan 12, 2021

I agree. I kinda wish downvoting and the leaderboard weren't really a thing tho.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Up Voter
02:52 Jan 11, 2021

Really great story, Abby! The way you describe events and objects is really excellent!! Let me know if you're being downvoted!!! Have a striking day :) Love, Upvoter

Reply

✨Abby ✨
02:56 Jan 11, 2021

Thank you! And yeah, actually, I was at almost 2000 points 2 days ago. So you could say I've been downvoted.

Reply

Up Voter
02:57 Jan 11, 2021

Yeaaa, I saw! I tried upvoting you, but people still downvote you. I think they are downvoting you for some um *cough* specific *cough* reasons. :(

Reply

✨Abby ✨
03:00 Jan 11, 2021

Oh thank you! And what reason do ya think?

Reply

Up Voter
03:04 Jan 11, 2021

I don't really want to say it unless you really want to hear it because it might come off as rude, and I really do NOT want to spread hate.

Reply

✨Abby ✨
03:33 Jan 11, 2021

Oh ok.

Reply

Show 0 replies
✨Abby ✨
17:34 Jan 11, 2021

If its cuz of a certain part in my bio I think I know whatcha mean

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Creed .
17:28 Mar 05, 2021

IMAGINE DRAGONS!!!!!! (sorry, I like Imagine dragons) How are you doing today? I like your pfp!

Reply

✨Abby ✨
22:13 Mar 05, 2021

Lol me too! I’m doing great! You? And thank you!

Reply

Creed .
22:24 Mar 05, 2021

I'm good. Only written 337 words today and it's already almost dinnertime! *bursts into tears* 🤷‍♂️ oh well, I hope you've been more productive! see you around!

Reply

✨Abby ✨
18:35 Mar 09, 2021

Sorry this is such a late response! I haven't written anything😬😬. lol

Reply

Creed .
17:21 Mar 10, 2021

Oh! oof. Today, I have written 10,206 words this month, but only 56 today. Lame. Oh, well, hope you're doing better today.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:15 Feb 11, 2021

🍕🍕🍕

Reply

✨Abby ✨
18:02 Feb 11, 2021

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

18:15 Feb 11, 2021

noice name!!!!

Reply

✨Abby ✨
18:18 Feb 11, 2021

Thank you! Rumple is my favorite OUAT character lol.

Reply

18:23 Feb 11, 2021

OUAT?

Reply

✨Abby ✨
18:23 Feb 11, 2021

It's in my bio

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
17:47 Feb 10, 2021

Also riding bareback on my horse is just amazingggggg omg its such an amazing feeling!! (saw your bio)

Reply

✨Abby ✨
18:17 Feb 10, 2021

OMG YESSSS it's just the FEELING. idk i feel like you have to experience it for yourself to feel it. Walking and trotting bareback is fun, but cantering bareback 🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤. Idk if you've done it before, but it's the most amazing feeling EVERRR.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:29 Feb 10, 2021

CANTERING OMFG YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS you feel like a movie starrrr XD whats your horses name?? my horse's name is Suella!

Reply

✨Abby ✨
19:00 Feb 10, 2021

YESSSSSSSSSS I FEEL SO POWERFULLLLLLL MWAHAHAHAHA. Her name is River! awww that's such a cute name! Where'd you get it?

Reply

Nainika Gupta
19:25 Feb 10, 2021

AWWW so cuteee she came with it! she's 6 XD

Reply

✨Abby ✨
22:03 Feb 10, 2021

thank you! I love that name. 6 is an awesome age! what do you do with her? River is about 10.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
17:46 Feb 10, 2021

🍕 🍕 🍕 🍕 🍕 YOU SHOULDDDD

Reply

✨Abby ✨
18:14 Feb 10, 2021

OKAY I WILLLLLL LOL

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:27 Feb 10, 2021

YESS XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
ALINA Manha
20:13 Jan 23, 2021

This story is amazing. It's sweet and sad at the same time. Great job Abby

Reply

✨Abby ✨
21:45 Jan 23, 2021

Thank you so much!!

Reply

ALINA Manha
03:44 Jan 24, 2021

You're welcome! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
17:53 Dec 24, 2020

I would love it if you upvote me, I'm close to 1000points. it will a lot helpful. I will return the favor. Merry Christmas.

Reply

✨Abby ✨
18:15 Dec 24, 2020

Of course! I'll do it in a bit.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:19 Dec 24, 2020

okay just tell me how many points you did.

Reply

✨Abby ✨
19:30 Dec 24, 2020

Ok

Reply

Show 0 replies
✨Abby ✨
19:49 Dec 24, 2020

So I got you to 1,085. Idk how many u were at before but I upvoted all of your comments on your stories.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
03:03 Dec 25, 2020

OMG Abby! I was at 933. Thankyou so much. You are My Christmas Santa. LOve you.

Reply

✨Abby ✨
03:34 Dec 25, 2020

Awww of course!!!! <3333333

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
19:46 Dec 21, 2020

I think that this was great ^^

Reply

✨Abby ✨
20:45 Dec 21, 2020

Oh, I'm so glad. Phew. I can't wait to see your part 2!!!

Reply

B. W.
21:06 Dec 21, 2020

All of your stories are great ^^

Reply

✨Abby ✨
21:08 Dec 21, 2020

Really? Idk yours are waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy better

Reply

B. W.
21:09 Dec 21, 2020

I think yours are better than mine though

Reply

✨Abby ✨
21:11 Dec 21, 2020

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy. Have you read your stories? Their flawless!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
12:32 Aug 08, 2021

Nice story Abby and I love your vivid description. Could you please read my latest story and share some feedback if possible. Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
11:52 Jun 24, 2021

Nice story again, Abby! I loved the descriptions in this one. QOTD Answer: No, but I know a few people who did. I will surely read the second part.

Reply

Show 0 replies
User_2443 0967
20:32 Feb 18, 2021

🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕

Reply

Show 0 replies
Felicity Anne
22:59 Jan 28, 2021

Hey Abby! Just thought I'd drop by and introduce myself. I'm Felicity!!

Reply

✨Abby ✨
16:10 Jan 29, 2021

Hello! Thank you for stopping by! Happy to meet you ☺️

Reply

Felicity Anne
17:17 Jan 29, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danny -
00:41 Jan 19, 2021

Hellooo, how are you?? (lol why do I sound soo formal-ish)

Reply

✨Abby ✨
17:16 Jan 19, 2021

hiiiiii lol. Im ok. you?

Reply

Danny -
22:44 Jan 19, 2021

I'm good, wyd?

Reply

✨Abby ✨
01:52 Jan 20, 2021

Just chilling lol. u?

Reply

Danny -
02:02 Jan 20, 2021

lol same

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
07:17 Jan 18, 2021

Abby Hi are you there? I want to talk to you about something.

Reply

✨Abby ✨
17:40 Jan 18, 2021

Yes, I am. What's up?

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:01 Jan 18, 2021

Did you give feedback to the stories of oasis members? It's kind of a rule of this group so just reminding you. ANd please copy my bio about the writer of the week

Reply

✨Abby ✨
18:59 Jan 18, 2021

Oh, I did not. Idk who they all are exactly. and I'm still deciding if I wanna be a part of it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danny -
04:55 Jan 14, 2021

hellooo, i started a new thread, the other one was getting confusing, but it must be late where you are.

Reply

✨Abby ✨
05:11 Jan 14, 2021

Helooooooo, good idea. And it's 9:10 rn. Also I read your stories and they are FIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRREEEEEE!!!! DANG! How old r u???? (if Ya don't mind me asking)

Reply

Danny -
05:16 Jan 14, 2021

same age as youuu

Reply

✨Abby ✨
05:24 Jan 14, 2021

Oh, cooooollll! Wow they gooooodd

Reply

Danny -
05:27 Jan 14, 2021

yoursss toooooo :DDD

Reply

✨Abby ✨
05:27 Jan 14, 2021

Yours are wayyyyyyyyyy better thooooooo

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danny -
05:23 Jan 14, 2021

thankss btw, yours toooo, i'll be reading more of them for sure :DD

Reply

✨Abby ✨
05:24 Jan 14, 2021

Aw thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danny -
03:50 Jan 14, 2021

heyy abbyy :DD i heard you were downvoted :(( Just ask me if you want me to upvote you, lol i have waayyy tooooo much time on my hands. Im quite new here, I joined maybe early december??? (i know my account says march, but that's because i forgot i made this account in the first place lollololool) sooo, im always looking forward to make new friendss :DD Great story, btw. Happy writing :DD

Reply

✨Abby ✨
03:54 Jan 14, 2021

Hi!! Aw, that's so sweet. Only if you want you! And that's so cool! How are you liking Reedsy so far? Thank you!!!

Reply

Danny -
03:57 Jan 14, 2021

reedsy's cool, but ahhhhhh downvoters, they downvoted me tooo last night, hope your doing well now. how was your day?

Reply

✨Abby ✨
04:01 Jan 14, 2021

I agree completely! My day was great! How about yours?

Reply

Danny -
04:02 Jan 14, 2021

its great, its rainny, and its cooolldd, i love it :DD

Reply

✨Abby ✨
04:03 Jan 14, 2021

You like the rain?? Lol, I live in Washington and there's waayyyyy too much of it here.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Can you make one for me..?

Reply

✨Abby ✨
23:28 Jan 13, 2021

Like a story about you?

Reply

✨Abby ✨
23:36 Jan 13, 2021

Sure! Can you tell me a little bit about yourself or what you want your character to be like?

Reply

Hmmmmmmm Lemme see- I guess like: Hair: Purple Eyes: Rainbow Personality: Smart funny crazy XD Power? Magic/psychic or uh- XD

Reply

✨Abby ✨
01:08 Jan 14, 2021

Okay cool. That’s helpful thanks.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.