As The Stars Blink Out

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write about someone who purposefully causes a power outage.... view prompt

12 comments

Mystery Science Fiction Drama

The wind blew through my window, and my room was so quiet, I could hear my heart pounding in my chest as I gazed out into the night sky. 

It was like a staring contest with space, but of course, it always won, except for the many small times it would wink and twinkle when it knew you had been staring too long. 

When you desperately needed to get some shut eye.

It was like even the stars knew. And they did know. 

I had guessed no one could relate to what I did nightly, but there was something about the way that the one girl across the road looked up just the same, like she knew, just as well. 

She knew the sky was alive, and she knew it was winking at her too. 

Bella Laine. That was her name. And I knew it well. I didn’t know how, but I had heard many a things about her. 

It was Bella. It was her bright blue eyes that I could see all the way across the alley, and her dirty blonde hair that would waltz with the wind….

There was just something about it that I couldn’t get by. 

What is it I am thinking of you may ask?

How every night she would come home late, flop on the couch and just stare. 

She would stare not at her phone, not at the television, but at the sky. The blackening ceiling above us, with decorated lights that seemed just so beautiful to each and every one of us, we just never saw it as what it really was. 

And I did the same. And I thought the same as the girl. 

The unspeakable thing that hangs in the air like a horrible stench. 

The way the sky will tease and trick you into thinking it is beautiful and endless and wonderful.

I know it has imperfections, no matter what. 

And I just know that there is some end to it. 

Everything has an end, then why not the sky? 

I had spent the evening thinking and debating, until early morning came ‘round, and yet, I still hadn’t had any shut eye whatsoever. 

But neither had Miss Bella Laine. 

I gazed at her, and she gazed at me. 

I just had to. We both knew there was some end to this. 

We just had to find out what, and how. 

Bella made eye contact with me, and I did the same to her. 

She knew what I meant, and I knew what she meant. 

The next evening came quickly, and at midnight we set out to find it. 

We would find the thing that ended it all, causing the whole world to—

Oh, I just remembered that I must keep my mouth shut. There is no way any of this is leaking out. I needed to keep this a secret. 

Bella stared at me across the street when we had finally hit the ground, out of the apartment building. 

I looked at her, and she looked at me. 

We stayed silent. There was nothing to be said about what we were about to do. 

There was nothing to say, nor use actions to show what it was. 

We just knew. There was a connection between us that I couldn’t explain in my mind, nor with words. 

Bella and I set out with silent, shut lips. 

The lever for the power outage was flipped by Bella. 

We watched as the entire city went dark and silent. 

The next one was flipped. 

And then the next.

And the next. 

We had nowhere to go, nothing to do but flip each switch one by one. 

By now if we hadn’t been out, the both of us would begin our staring contest with the stars. 

They were waiting on us, and waiting on us—I could tell by the constant annoyed blinking of the North Star. 

That was when finally Bella Laine had said something, finally breaking the silence. 

“Why?” She asked. “Why are we doing this?” 

I stayed still. 

I shook my head, and placed a finger to my lips. 

“Even I cannot say, Bella Laine. We must stay quiet. We must do what we have to do, and then leave.” I told her. 

“But why? I don’t even know you, but something told me we had to do this...why, Asher?

Even she knew my name. 

Bella Laine, the most beautiful girl I had ever met in my entire life knew my name. 

It was imprinted in her mind, and she knew me as Asher, the boy across the balcony. 

“We are doing it because we have to show the world what this really is. What this world was made for, and this is what we have to do.” 

I knew we both had no idea where this going, or what we were going to do. 

We had to show the world that the sky is much more than just something that hung above us. 

It is a whole different universe, a whole different dimension. 

And it too, is living, and breathing just like the rest of us.

As each city and area was flipped off, each person stepped out of their homes. 

Each person slowly looked up, and viewed it. 

They saw the sky, and they saw what it looked like when everything was dark, and everything was gone, and nothing worked but the thing that hung above. 

Not down, not to eye’s length. 

Above. 

They saw the beautiful night sky, gleaming and lit with tiny specks of light, that we call stars. 

They saw the beautiful painted image from our Creator that spoke to us, and drew us into the beauty of the sky. 

And they heard the slow sound of the sky breathing. 

It wasn’t the normal sound you would think of when your mind wanders to the sound you hear that comes from your lungs, nose and mouth. 

It was a beautiful sound, much like no other sound any of them had ever heard. 

The stars blinked back in recognition, and the moon gazed in awe at the people, including Bella and me. 

Bella took my hand, and I took hers.

The sky breathed on and on, and the people watched as the breathing grew hoarse. 

And the stars began to blink out one by one. 

Suddenly, the breathing stopped. 

The moon had faded. The earth wrattled, and the last thing I saw were the beautiful blue eyes of Bella Laine as the world swallowed us. 

We didn’t perish, but we were swallowed into something beautiful. 

Something that would last forever. 

We would live yet in the skies. 

September 09, 2020 22:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Sapphire 🌼
15:16 Sep 10, 2020

I agree with Aerin! Your words have a poetic feel and It's clear you've had some experience in the past! The imagrey (oof did I spell that right?) that went along with this story was amazing. Your words just blew me away! Can't wait to read more! -Sapphire P.S. - YAY ANOTHER 1D FANNNNN! 😆😅😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lani Lane
01:24 Sep 14, 2020

Beautifully written! It felt incredibly poetic. Great work - I can’t wait to read more of your stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:17 Sep 09, 2020

AHHHHHH THIS WAS FANTASTIC!!! Your writing is amazing...this not only has an awesome plot, but you really have a way with words. Your prose almost has a poetic feel. Oh, and I love this line: ‘It was like a staring contest with space, but of course, it always won, except for the many small times it would wink and twinkle when it knew you had been staring too long.’ AWESOME! All in all, great job, A.e. Wrenzel!! I really enjoyed this story and I hope you write more in the futuuuuuure! ~Aerin

Reply

Show 0 replies
08:40 Oct 02, 2020

This is so beautiful and all that suspense till the end ❤👏👏👏

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
20:01 Oct 01, 2020

Hm i think that this was a really good story ya did and that you did really great with it. I'm not sure if you want advice your not but you should just continue to make more stories though only when your not busy or something. 10/10 :)

Reply

Ava F
16:11 Oct 02, 2020

yes i am planning on making more i just have a lot going on rn lol

Reply

B. W.
16:12 Oct 02, 2020

Alright ^^ if it's alright and ya have some time, could you check out "A savior" and leave some feedback

Reply

Ava F
19:16 Oct 02, 2020

of course!

Reply

B. W.
19:21 Oct 02, 2020

Thanks ^^ i'm excited to see what ya think

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zea Bowman
13:25 Sep 21, 2020

Wow! I loved reading this story; it was full of great descriptions and I loved the way you ended it. The words seemed to flow effortlessly together. Could you please come read some of my stories? Thanks :)

Reply

Ava F
19:26 Oct 01, 2020

of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ava F
21:49 Sep 21, 2020

thank you all so much!!!!!!! i am looking forward to posting more, and i will in the future for sure! ✨✨✨✨✨

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.