32 comments

Asian American Sad Suspense

We are in a taxi and the song "I want in that way" by backstreet boys is playing on the car's radio. Sasha is upset with me, because she thinks that I will not marry her. She thinks that I wont marry her because I'm the son of multi millionaire Raj Mehta, I'm only 25 but I have 2000 crore asset on my name. Where as Sasha is a black women, a self made women and has no assets on her name. I haven't proposed her yet, because I couldn't find a ring that I connected too. Sasha is such a enigmatic, powerful, kind women and its tough to find a ring that suits her personality. We both are in a cab and she's looking through the car's window. And I'm looking at her. The car's window is acting like a mirror, where I see her reflection. She has tears in eyes, and its not my fault. I want to surprise her, in the best way possible. I can't sit in this cab longer, I instruct the driver to stop and get out of the car. I don't even say goodbye to Sasha, even I'm pissed at her. How could she think, that I have such mentality for her. I start to walk on the pavement in the opposite direction of cab. And after a few seconds I hear a loud boom of noise, and when I turn to see its source. I see a accident of a oil tanker and a cab, and see the cab is ablaze which had Sasha in it. I scream on top of my lungs. She was burning in flames.


I wake up with a jolt, I'm sweating from head to toe. I check my phone its 5:30 am, when I check my bed, Sasha is not there. I see some messages pop up. Its from Sasha, in short its about her meeting at work and why she left early without telling me. I walk in the kitchen to drink a glass of water, there's a note on the fridge from Sasha 'I have made you breakfast. Love you"

I eat my breakfast and get ready. Its my daily routine, since a couple of weeks. I get into tiffany's store early, and spend hours searching for the perfect ring. But I couldn't because, the diamonds would be too regular, Sasha doesn't like Emeralds, Ruby would be too wild for her and Pearl would be too cheap. I have been mentally exhausted by this routine and suddenly my eyes fall on it.

A rare pink diamond, just like my Sasha.

I come back home, full of excitement. I have taken a break from work, and been busy making plans for future. I eat my lunch and sit down on my study table. I spot my diary, I take a look at it. I have bookmarked 25 September, the day I met Sasha. I initially fell for her bright eye's and afro hairs. I loved her long slender arms and how beautifully she had painted neon pink on her nails. She was unique in every way possible, her every action had purpose. I enter my dream into the diary. I wanted to take a short nap, because I loved dreaming about Sasha and me.


We were shouting at each other on the pavement, the onlookers were gawking at us. There was a reason for it, because I was Aryaman Mehta son of multi millionaire Raj Mehta. A Indian American boy marrying a black color, was scandalous in a way. But we were fighting with each other, in the middle of crowded street, was far more scandalous. I could see people clicking our photo's on their phone. But I was least concerned about it. Sasha saying I being ashamed of her was more hurtful.

I said "why do you think Sasha, that I'm ashamed of you"?

"Because, its your family, they hate me. and whenever I ask you about marriage, you push the topic away"

I replied " I push it because, its not ready"

"What is not ready " Ring, the jeweler said that the ring will be ready by tomorrow.

"See Sasha you focus on your work, we will talk about it later"

"That's what you are saying, when every time I talk about it?"

"Sasha ,can I drop you"

"No, I will go on my own"

And she walks away.


Thud! there's a loud noise, Sasha has come home.

I see my watch its 5:30 in the evening. She calls me

"Honey I'm home"

"Yeah, I'm coming "

I check myself into the mirror and rush towards the hall.

She's tired but still looks so beautiful, I go and kiss her on the forehead. She gives me a fake smile. She seems tensed.

I say "hon why don't you go freshen up, and I set the table for you"

She nods.

She's barley eating anything, I can see sense that something is going in her mind.

She says "Do you know Henry and April?"

"Yeah what happened to them"

"Well Henry proposed April yesterday and she said yes. They are going to get married soon"

"Its unbelievable, I never knew that in 6 months they would take such a big decision"

She grunt's "yeah, what have you thought about us"

Why I'm feeling that I have seen this conversation before. I feel that my dreams are becoming reality. Its impossible, how come she's saying everything same, that I had seen in my dream.

She's accusing me, doubting me in every way possible. But I'm not reacting to it, cause I'm seeing this narration again. Everything is feeling like dejavu, I had seen this fight coming.

"you have stopped loving me right?" Sasha says it with tears in her eyes.

Her question brings me back to the present, the present which I had already seen.

"No, why are you saying like that Sasha" I say

"Because Aryaman, every time when I come up about our marriage. You change the topic"

"see Sasha you will get my answer soon"

"ok, you know what Aryaman, when you are ready about your decision. Call me."

She picks her purse up and rushes out of the door. I run after her.

We are on the pavement, I'm running after her. I yell her name.

She stops, I go towards her and in a hushed tone say

"Sasha believe me I love you "

"Then prove it to me Aryaman"

And we are having the same heated argument. People are gawking at us in the same way. And she walks away

I should show her the ring, maybe I will propose her in the store itself.

"you believe me right" I shout from behind

She stops and turns towards me and nod. But she says " I have a errand to do, after that we will talk about it"

She motions for a cab. The cab comes closer towards us and on its radio. The same song of backstreet boys is playing and I know what will happen next. Sasha is about to open the door of cab and go inside, I grab her arm and shove her aside. I sit in the cab and instruct the driver to go. The driver speeds up, Sasha is fuming behind us. I take out my phone and call Sasha.

The moment will come soon and I have to say my intentions to her fast.

She picks up the phone and before she could say anything. I say

"I Aryaman Mehta ask this beautiful young lady, for marriage"

"Will you marry me Sasha?"

The driver turns his head in excitement to see me, and from other side I see a oil tanker rushing towards us.

We collide and the car goes up in the fumes.





October 21, 2020 18:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

Radhika Diksha
14:11 Mar 31, 2021

Spammmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply

Radhika Diksha
14:11 Mar 31, 2021

Spammmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
14:11 Mar 31, 2021

Spammmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
14:11 Mar 31, 2021

Spammmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply

Radhika Diksha
14:12 Mar 31, 2021

Spammmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
14:12 Mar 31, 2021

Spammmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
14:12 Mar 31, 2021

Spammmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply

Radhika Diksha
14:12 Mar 31, 2021

Spammmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
14:12 Mar 31, 2021

Spammmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
14:12 Mar 31, 2021

Spammmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply

Radhika Diksha
14:12 Mar 31, 2021

Spammmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
14:12 Mar 31, 2021

Spammmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
14:12 Mar 31, 2021

Spammmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 4 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 3 replies
Echo Sundar
17:23 Nov 24, 2020

This story was splendid! It was fun to read and I didn't know where the plot was going sad ending but it was a good ending.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:24 Nov 24, 2020

Omg, you loved the ending? You are savage. Thank you for reading my stories I will sure read yours.

Reply

Echo Sundar
17:26 Nov 24, 2020

Thank you! But yes I really liked the ending because even though you always want the best for the characters you want them to be happy and to succeed you also know that life isn't always rainbows and cupcakes and there needs to be hardships so I really liked the ending.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:29 Nov 24, 2020

Thankyou you don't know but your comments really make me very happy. The other day someone said that I make an unrealistic bubble and write cliche romantic stories. I have a last request please do check out my first story and give your feedback on it.

Reply

Echo Sundar
17:34 Nov 24, 2020

"Attached to a string?"

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:35 Nov 24, 2020

yes

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mek R
13:52 Oct 25, 2020

Hi! I read your story and loved the plot idea and structure. The storytelling was great! :) My constructive feedback is probably something you’re aware of already. The two things that I think will make a big difference is learning and understanding idioms in the English language, and working on “showing, not telling.” On the first point, idioms are tough because you just have to learn them through familiarity and memorizing. Especially things like which prepositions to use with which phrasing, etc. Reading good prose is a great way to...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
14:38 Oct 25, 2020

Thankyou so much on your constructive feedback. I will surely keep it in my mind.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:51 Oct 25, 2020

Actually this story still hasn't approved, I would feel happy if you check out my story "all in the name of love". I have been reading your stories too. I will surely give you my feedback soon

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
05:22 Oct 22, 2020

Okay, Radhika, that last part was really mean, but I get it, us writers love to torture our readers. I love how you linked the ending to Aryaman's dream at the beginning, and how it's actually the other way around was really clever. I love how you established the relationship between Aryaman and Sasha, their dialogue exchanges were really interesting to read. I know from reading other comments that English isn't your first language, so it's super impressive that you can write such a great story. While Chinese is technically my first langua...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
06:00 Oct 22, 2020

thankyou so much. Your feedback values the most, it s very important to me. Basically I'm from India so here, everyone talks in Hindi. I have basically learned English as a subject. And you know how is our education system we study for marks not for knowledge. So I enhanced my English by watching movies and reading a lot of novels.

Reply

Yolanda Wu
07:05 Oct 22, 2020

That's great! I think that's the best way to learn. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Melissa Hassan
11:08 Oct 30, 2020

Hi, Radhika, well as promised here is my feedback on this story I read sometime back. Your story was sad.I loved it. But you need to polish up on your grammar a little. There are too many grammatical errors. Woman is singular (if you are referring to one woman) Women is plural (if you are referring to a group) Asset 'to' my name - not "on Good job though. I loved it.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bracy Ratcliff
00:53 Oct 29, 2020

Buying the ring without consulting the bride can lead to great misfortune--it's a good story, but I think before I would end it in such catastrophe I would have made them happier thus making the fall that much more dramatic. Still a good story though, nice job (and you really should employ Grammerly).

Reply

Show 0 replies
Felicity Anne
15:13 Oct 22, 2020

Wow! I really love this one, Radhika! Wonderful job! I didn't notice anything that needed to be fixed, so yay! I really loved all of your dialogue, it was fantastic! Keep up the good work! - Felicity

Reply

Radhika Diksha
16:34 Oct 22, 2020

thankyou so much for your valuable feedback

Reply

Felicity Anne
16:57 Oct 22, 2020

No problem! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.