Roll of Quarters

Submitted into Contest #55 in response to: Write a story about a meeting of a secret society.... view prompt

15 comments

Mystery

Camino Pope always imagined her first alien encounter to be in an abandoned field in Kansas, not a small outdoor mall in Delaware. She thought there would be more cows, more lights, more eyes, maybe. Though now that she was here, there were none of those things. There was a strong looking boy leaning against a clothes rack, wearing a black and white checkered coat and smoking a roll of quarters he’d borrowed from the Bank of Southern Delaware, but there were no cows. Camino wouldn’t have even known he was an alien if not for the fact that he had taken out his wallet and shown her his official ID. It did not say, Citizen of the United States of America. It did not say, even, Citizen of Planet Earth. 

It said, in faintly green letters, Citizen of Planet 32, and Camino Pope was not at all sure where that was located. She had gone shopping with her mother that morning to buy a new set of underwear, and now she was being accosted by a strange, strong looking boy at Target. What an awkward thing, Camino thought to herself, trying to glance at the boy and his otherworldly ID while also rifling through a large bin of discount sports bras. 

“Camino Pope.”

She stopped rifling. “No, that’s not me.” 

“Don’t lie. I know who you are.”

“Why?”

The boy sighed and smoked some more. The air smelled like metal, but not like pennies or nickels. It was the smell of a dollar tree item split in four. Quarters. “I know because you’re still wearing your name tag.” He nodded towards her. Camino looked at her shirt and found that she had left her work name tag pinned to it. Darn you, Chick-fil-A, for making your workers announce their names to the universe. Huzzah. “So hey.”

“Hey yourself. I don’t know what you want.”

“Let me help you out.” 

“No, are you crazy? I don’t know you.” 

“Yes you do. Think about it for a minute.” He leaned back against the clothes rack, sending the rows of lacy womenswear swinging. 

Camino rolled her eyes. “Are you my eighth grade math teacher?”

“Nah.” He didn’t know how to do math. 

“Are you a cereal salesman with a strange marketing tactic?”

“Uh, no again.” He wasn’t sure what cereal was, actually. 

Camino stepped closer to him and peered curiously at the black and white coat he was wearing. “A relative of the villain Cruella Deville, perhaps?” 

“Mmm, don’t know who that is, so nope.”

“Are you like a reverse agent for MIB?” She meant Men in Black, obviously, but the young alien boy was not introduced to such high levels of culture yet. 

“A reverse agent for Maybe in (the) Bahamas?” 

“No.” She sighed. “I give up. Who are you?” 

“Rumplestilskin.”

Camino laughed. Someone had heard about the contest she was in and wanted to play a little joke. “Oh, that’s very funny. Who sent you?”

“No one sent me. I just knew you were in need of assistance.”

That was true. The contest wasn’t really a contest, but more of an impossible task she had been assigned. Her father was a boastful man, and he had gone too far one day. He posted on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and his private writing blog a whole weird article about how Camino, his daughter, could predict the crashes and rises of the stock market. 

Camino Pope was not a fortune teller, though. She had hobbled through her economics classes, scraping by with a high C, but her father, as always, took things out of context and wove them into bizarre lies. Now Camino was being asked by not just the mayor of her town or the governor of her state, but by the president of the whole country, to come and prove her talent was real. If it was, her parent’s debts would all be erased, her college fees would be paid for in full, and she would be given a guinea pig for extra measure. If she could not prove what her father said was true, they would all be thrown in jail. It didn’t make sense, but the country was bored and in need of the scandal, the government bored and corrupt. Now Camino, a young seventeen year old girl, was stuck in the middle of it all. 

So how did this weird kid know what was going on? 

It wasn’t an immensely private ordeal, but it wasn’t like the whole world knew about it, either. Camino just stared at the kid. She didn’t know what to say. 

“But if you’re Rumplstilskin, you just ruined the story. You told me your name.” 

He yawned. “Yeah, I don’t see why the old ones never just cut to the chase. I have other things to attend to so there’s no time for all that riddle crap. Want my help or not? I have the papers here for the stock rise and crash.”

“Well, yeah, I want it! What do I have to give you?”

“Just come with me to a meeting for something. I don’t have anyone to go with me and it’s kind of weird to go alone.”

“What kind of meeting is it?”

Rumplstilskin sighed again. “It’s a poetry reading.”

“Oh.” Camino hadn’t written poetry since she was in third grade. “I mean, sure.”

“Yeah?”

She nodded. “Yeah.”

“Well, cool.” 

Camino smiled. “Okay, well, do you have a phone?”

He shook his head. “Haha, no. Can you imagine how many people would be bothering me all the time if I had a phone number? That’s not even getting started with telemarketers. I hear they’re kind of annoying.” 

Camino shrugged. Her dad was a telemarketer and he was annoying, but that didn’t mean everyone had to be. “What’s the address of the poetry reading? I’ll meet you there.”

Rumplestilksin handed her a stack of papers. “You can’t. It’s not on your planet. It’s actually by my planet. Cute place. It’s called Bodacious.”

“You mean I have to leave my solar system?”

He smiled apologetically. “That’s why it’s such a big favor. You don’t have to do it if you don’t want to. I’ll just take my papers back and go find some other person in need of extraterrestrial aid.” 

“No, I’ll go.” Camino grabbed her purse from the rim of the discount bin. “I’ll go, but promise we can stop by McDonald’s on the way.” 

August 18, 2020 16:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

Sia S
03:24 Aug 19, 2020

I loved the remake of Rumplestilskin. Aerin and Avery are right it was a short and sweet read. The ending was just fantabulos!! I Need a part 2 !!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Avery G.
23:47 Aug 18, 2020

This was good! I really liked it! But whoa, you dislocated your shoulder? Oh my gosh! Are you okay? Anyway, I really liked this story! Great job.

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
01:11 Aug 19, 2020

Yeah, it's actually doing a lot better; I'm going in for X-rays tomorrow. It's not dislocated but I think the muscle is torn. :( Thank you for reading though, I appreciate it so much!

Reply

Avery G.
01:12 Aug 19, 2020

Aww. You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:11 Aug 18, 2020

Wow, I liked this a lot! It was simple and sweet and I enjoyed how it was like a modern twist on the old fairy tale. Nice job! ~Aerin

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
01:11 Aug 19, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

01:33 Aug 19, 2020

No problem! P. S. Would you mind checking out my story ‘Shape-Shifter Squad’ (if you haven't already)? Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
16:39 Aug 18, 2020

Ugh. Not a fan of this one. Sorry. :(

Reply

Amany Sayed
16:45 Aug 18, 2020

Aw, why not? It's really good! I enjoyed it. It was a short and sweet read. I want Part two! Though I sort of wish there were more descriptions and imagery, it was really well written overall. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anshika Goyal
19:06 Sep 03, 2020

Hi, I really liked your story, I am a sci-fi fan and space? Oh, that's basically my passion. Seeing you so plainly elaborate such an interaction amused in a good sense. I hope one day I can write the way you write, making fiction seem a reality. And ooh, the name and concept you came up with has its own level. P.s- please check out my recent story "Gleba- a not so successful technology"

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
06:11 Sep 03, 2020

Nice story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Keerththan 😀
05:32 Aug 27, 2020

Wonderful ending. Lovely story. Funny at some points. Great work. Would you mind reading my new story "The adventurous tragedy" and share your views on ?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cal Carson
17:10 Aug 25, 2020

I really like the twist on the classic tale of Rumplestilskin. I love the personality of Rumplestilskin and the dialogue flowed so smoothly! Great story and hope your shoulder gets better!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kristin Neubauer
20:24 Aug 22, 2020

Hilarious! Original, creative, a whole different take on the alien thing. I love it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jessie Nice
22:04 Aug 20, 2020

The length of your stories make them very readable and you can really dive into the conversation and detail of the piece. It's like a little snippet of time but a whole tale is told throughout. You have a gift, Rhondalise! I love how well you capture the conversations between these characters and leave the reader guessing of what happens next and also allow them to make up their own background leading up to it. Thoroughly enjoyed. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.