65 comments

Speculative Fiction

“I need you to start sleeping with your husband.”

“That’s an odd request.”

“Unfortunately, it’s an urgent one.”

“Are there any other men that you would like me to start sleeping with as well?”

“No, of course not.” 

“Well, that’s a relief. For a moment I wasn’t sure if I should install a Take-A-Number ticket dispenser outside my bedroom door.” 

“Don’t make light of our situation, precarious as it is.”

“As much as I like to make you happy, sleeping with my dear husband may be challenging in all sorts of ways. Firstly, I loathe him. Secondly, he usually stays at our place in the city. The penthouse suits him—high above, in the clouds, looking down at the rest of us mortals.” 

“Well, perhaps you can make an overture? When you see him next, wear your red dress and white heels with the ankle straps. You can be quite convincing when you put your mind to it.”

“Is that your gentlemanly way of calling me a slut?”

“Of course not. I just don’t want our arrangement discovered. That would complicate things.”  

“Complicate things for whom? You seem to be quite at home here in his bed.”

“Perhaps I should rephrase what I mean.”

“Perhaps you should.”

“At this juncture, the consequences of our affair being discovered are severe. I could lose my job, and you could lose everything—including your seat on the board.”

“Maybe I’m bored with the board.”

“Darling, if you don’t engage in relations with your husband now, it will cause problems for us in the future. We both have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo as it protects our unique—but delicate—partnership.” 

“Do we have a limited or a full partnership?”

“You know how I feel about you.”

“Oh, you have a puritanical way of making me feel quite sordid—like I’m one of your high-priced call girls.”

“That was one time. I should have never told you that in confidence. You can’t let anything go, can you?”

“I can’t let go of you, can I? I’ve tried. I can’t.”

“You’re not listening to me. Your husband is suspicious. He’s acting quite strange in the office.”

“How so?”

“He’s asking too many questions. I don’t think he trusts me anymore.”

“He shouldn’t.”

“Well, I don’t see how we can continue without you repairing your relationship with him. Perhaps it’s best if we end it now.”

“Oh, you are insufferable! Come back to bed. It’s too early in the morning for paradoxical pronouncements. But I’ll indulge you. Just this once. Explain it to me like I’m a child. How can making love to my husband benefit our affaire de cœur?”

“It will throw him off our scent. You know how dogged he is when he has a bone to chew on. The way he looks at me at meetings. I think he knows—”

“About my attempts to break the prenup?”

“Possibly.”

“Or our affair?”

“Likely.”

“Or your embezzling?” 

“Embezzling is such a vulgar word.”

“Would you prefer I call your stealing something academic? In the future, I’ll use a euphemism from business school—like reallocation of financial resources. Or maybe something lawyerly: fraudulent appropriation. Or maybe literary? You are purloining ill-gotten gains. Regardless, you’ve been a thief longer than you’ve been unzipping my dresses.” 

“You were bold from the start.”

“Me?”

“Yes, you. I blame you for my separation from my second wife.”

“I’ve seen your second wife. You should be thanking me.”

“Attacking my wife? That’s low. Even for you. You used to be so enchanting.”

“You used to be brazen. I remember the time under the conference room table when—”

That was one time, too. God, I should never have touched you. You’re poison.”

“And you’re boring. Get dressed. Get out.”

“Fine! But don’t think you can outsmart your husband and me. We know about your attempts to wrest control of the company.”

“Ridiculous! What are you implying—”

“I’m not implying anything. I’m telling you what I know to be the truth.”

“You and the truth have parted company long ago. You see diabolical plots and seedy schemes that don’t exist!”

“Hah!”

“Don’t laugh at me!”

“How can I help it when you are such a fool? As your husband’s Chief Financial Officer, did you think I wouldn’t notice a few senior managers lapping up shares of stock like kittens at a bowlful of cream?”

“I didn’t think you needed to know.”

“You didn’t think I needed to know that you, your co-conspirators, and your inter-dealer brokers were engaged in a stock acquisition? It was the shoddiest attempt at a corporate takeover I’ve ever seen.”

“Not true! We have managed to amass a majority of the company’s stock.”

“I’m curious. How much did they tell you that they had in hand?”

“Over 50%.”

“Hah! All of your dark pools and anonymous exchanges were for nothing. Your friends have kept you in the dark. All you’ve managed to scrape together this past quarter is 48%...”

“It’s more than 48%—much more!”

“O contraire, my love. The Chief Technology Officer is an old girlfriend of mine from college. At my request, she installed tracking software on all corporate email accounts after the last shareholders’ meeting.” 

“Including board members?” 

“Especially board members.”

“Liar!”

Liar? This coming from a woman who did not follow through on the pregnancy termination agreement we discussed!”

“I—”

“God forbid you become anyone’s mother! But by becoming pregnant, it violates your prenuptial agreement. Prepare yourself for a nasty divorce.”

“How so?”

“Your husband has had a vasectomy.”

“It’s your child.”

“No, it is not. Mercifully, you aren’t pregnant.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“Because sleeping with you and vasectomies are two things your husband and I have in common.”

“I hate you.”

“Perhaps the Chief Operating Officer is more to your liking. I know you’ve been seeing him on the side. Did you think sleeping with him would help you gain control of your husband’s company?”

“At least he’s not a coward!”

“True. But he’s also a liar.”

“How so?”

“Because he only holds 1% of the stock.”


December 25, 2023 17:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

65 comments

Aeris Walker
00:31 Dec 28, 2023

Reading this drama felt like riding a bike down a scenic road, only to take a wrong turn into the rough side of town, veer down a steep, pothole-laden street, and then have my brakes blow out lol. Loved the momentum you built with this, the cocky characters, and the quick unveiling of the mess the woman got herself into. Your dialogue stories are always a fun ride!

Reply

03:09 Dec 28, 2023

A bit of fun here. Despicable characters make glorious train wrecks! Think about coming to Dublin OH in March for the conference. 😎 We’d love to have you speak — and Russell is planning to come! Very family friendly town. The kids will love it 🥰

Reply

03:11 Dec 28, 2023

No pressure 😬 Digital Aeris would be wonderful too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jessie Laverton
10:33 Jan 02, 2024

Really fun to read! Also very uncomfortable, they're in such an intimate relationship and yet they're so cruel to each other. And it's a lesson in storytelling through dialogue. I didn't get lost despite the lack of speech tags.

Reply

13:12 Jan 02, 2024

Thanks for the read, Jessie. Great point about the extra layer of ickiness...the intimacy amps up the comic cruelty.

Reply

Jessie Laverton
14:04 Jan 02, 2024

Exactly! Two colleagues having the same conversation would not have the same impact at all.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
18:50 Dec 27, 2023

Oh Deirdra…this is fantastic! My favourite writing style in the hands of an incredible story-teller! I am humbled by your excellence. You have made me so want to start writing again on Reedsy. Oh courage…don’t desert me now 🙏🙏

Reply

20:34 Dec 27, 2023

Beautiful Viga - Never stop writing. We need your voice in this world :) Lots of other contests to enter! If you'd like some suggestions, send me an email (posted in bio.) Thanks for the read. Happy holidays!

Reply

Viga Boland
22:56 Dec 27, 2023

Thanks Deirdra. For now I just need to get past all the excuses I’m coming up with for not writing and get to it! At least this week’s prompts finally spoke to me but now I’m running out of time to pull one together. But yours really inspired me since we both excel in straight dialogue. Just have to oil up my rusty tin woman brain and get to work. Wish me luck. I need it!

Reply

03:05 Dec 28, 2023

Let me know if you need a beta reader 😎 Happy to edit if you wish ❤️

Reply

Viga Boland
18:28 Dec 28, 2023

Thanks hon. Something tells me I won’t get something ready this week again. 🥺 just not feeling 100%. And it doesn’t help to know that my granddaughter who is here on Christmas Eve has come down with Covid. The last thing, my husband and I need to hear at our ages!

Reply

20:13 Dec 28, 2023

GAH. Bleach everything!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
15:13 Dec 26, 2023

As always, fantastic. Stream of consciousness?

Reply

15:25 Dec 26, 2023

Maybe a stream of unconsciousness... This was silly at best, but I needed to unblock some writer's block. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the read, Jack 🎁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
19:19 May 03, 2024

I'm doubling back and reading some stories I missed the first time around, and I'm so mad I didn't read this right when you posted it! Such a great Friday treat as I'm sitting here with my coffee. I was locked in from the beginning.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Graham Kinross
23:36 Feb 29, 2024

Typical man, lying about the proportion of his stock to woo a a lady… it’s a tale as old as sociopathy. This confirms to my idea of the people in big business. The twist reminded me of a news article I read a few years ago who was told he was entirely sterile which shocked him as his oldest daughter was 30 years old. It turned out his wife had been having an affair for the entirety of the marriage. The Machiavellian politics in your story feel like a plot from Mad Men.

Reply

13:59 Mar 01, 2024

Yep. I'm sure 23andMe made a lot of jaws drop...(haha) Mad Men ... what a great series, what a horrible era. I'm so glad to have come of age in the 1980's when all we had to worry about was nuclear war.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:59 Mar 01, 2024

And still need to worry about nuclear war thanks to posturing idiots sending others to die for their lofty aspirations. The amount of terrible revelations that come out about mostly male celebrities and people in power is staggeringly disturbing. I look forward to the era when they only need to deal with the perverts of the current generation. Worst is when it comes out after their death and they got away with it all. That really grates on me when people knew about it and kept quiet.

Reply

00:19 Mar 02, 2024

John Stuart Mill: “Let not anyone pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends than that good men should look on and do nothing. He is not a good man who, without a protest, allows wrong to be committed in his name, and with the means which he helps to supply, because he will not trouble himself to use his mind on the subject.”

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Virgil Birgil
16:59 Feb 14, 2024

Hooo, boy, this was certainly one hell of a ride haha. Excellent read, though, and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. The dialogue flowed naturally and I never once got lost. Your expositive dialogue is amazing :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dustin Gillham
11:56 Jan 16, 2024

You're so hot! I just love your dialogue. Talk to me all night, D! I'll even read one of your characters for you. Thanks for being consistent and thanks for being a badass. A rough year for dis' kid but working on that book! kisses, and xxx hugs

Reply

19:22 Jan 16, 2024

Sorry for your troubles, DJ. Maybe 2024 is your year? I’ll get to your story tomorrow—hung up in airports today 😌

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:57 Jan 06, 2024

Funny and cruel. Good twist at the end.

Reply

23:51 Jan 07, 2024

Thanks 😎

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
05:59 Jan 03, 2024

Inspirational

Reply

11:48 Jan 03, 2024

You misspelled “icky”

Reply

Tommy Goround
19:03 Jan 03, 2024

Hhaa

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
18:03 Jan 01, 2024

What a ride! I like that your dialogue makes it easy to imagine what their facial expressions and actions are. Good job!

Reply

18:10 Jan 01, 2024

"Keep your arms and legs inside the story at all times. " Haha Thanks for the read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
09:05 Jan 01, 2024

Too wicked for words, but also deliciously enjoyable.

Reply

12:29 Jan 01, 2024

Thanks 🙏🏻 Helen! If Milton taught us anything — it’s how fun it is to write villains 🦹🏻‍♀️

Reply

Helen A Smith
13:13 Jan 01, 2024

Yes. My personal favourites though are flawed characters where there’s a chance of redemption.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
06:49 Jan 01, 2024

Happy New Year, Deidra. It feels like yesterday when I came across your ‘Play is the thing’ that drew me to this site. Your breezy, witty, nonchalant yet poignant style of touching upon human condition is intact through the years. Cheers to a great year ahead!

Reply

12:27 Jan 01, 2024

All the best to you and your family! I am so lucky 🍀 to call such talented and generous writers like yourself as my friends. To 2024 when we win all the contests!! Come over to our Discord channel to chat 💬 with a great group of writers who’ve discovered other contests and venues for your back-catalog 📚 Lots of support and beta readers! Love ya Suma 😎

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna W
23:51 Dec 31, 2023

Love this! What a wild ride. I love how this was all dialogue, leaving the reader to fill in the wild details of setting and description. Even so, I imagined the whole thing in my mind and was enraptured. Well done!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Laura Jarosz
20:55 Dec 31, 2023

Happy New Year, Deidra! Major props for setting yourself the extra challenge of 'tell a story through dialogue only' and executing it so flawlessly--there was never any confusion about who was speaking. And the twists! This played out like a radio melodrama in my head (complete with acerbic Mid-Atlantic accents; I cast Katharine Hepburn as your leading lady.)

Reply

21:46 Dec 31, 2023

I was thinking Gloria Swanson and a young Vincent Price (hahahaha) Black and white film, of course 😀

Reply

21:47 Dec 31, 2023

Happy Writing Year to you, too 🎁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Laura Jarosz
21:50 Dec 31, 2023

Ooooh, yeah, much better choice!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Ana M
19:19 Dec 31, 2023

A very interesting story told through dialogue.

Reply

21:47 Dec 31, 2023

Thanks Ana!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Uncle Spot
16:51 Dec 31, 2023

Very slick arc of change from bedroom buddies to get out! Entertaining little yarn.

Reply

16:55 Dec 31, 2023

Awfully fun to write about awful people 😈

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Uncle Spot
16:51 Dec 31, 2023

Very slick arc of change from bedroom buddies to get out! Entertaining little yarn.

Reply

21:48 Dec 31, 2023

A bit of fluff — at best. I’ll write something less silly next year. Maybe.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ferris Shaw
20:24 Dec 30, 2023

I find myself hopelessly confused by the dialogue. It is difficult for me to determine who utters which remarks past a certain point in the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michelle Oliver
12:35 Dec 29, 2023

What a crazy ride. There’s something captivating about this story, like a train wreck that you just can’t help but watch with horror! Each successive episode just got worse and worse until I’m not sure who I want to empathise with. Great voice and dialogue here as always.

Reply

21:49 Dec 31, 2023

🚂🤪😜🤪😜🤪😜 all aboard indeed

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.