67 comments

Speculative Fiction

“I need you to start sleeping with your husband.”

“That’s an odd request.”

“Unfortunately, it’s an urgent one.”

“Are there any other men that you would like me to start sleeping with as well?”

“No, of course not.” 

“Well, that’s a relief. For a moment I wasn’t sure if I should install a Take-A-Number ticket dispenser outside my bedroom door.” 

“Don’t make light of our situation, precarious as it is.”

“As much as I like to make you happy, sleeping with my dear husband may be challenging in all sorts of ways. Firstly, I loathe him. Secondly, he usually stays at our place in the city. The penthouse suits him—high above, in the clouds, looking down at the rest of us mortals.” 

“Well, perhaps you can make an overture? When you see him next, wear your red dress and white heels with the ankle straps. You can be quite convincing when you put your mind to it.”

“Is that your gentlemanly way of calling me a slut?”

“Of course not. I just don’t want our arrangement discovered. That would complicate things.”  

“Complicate things for whom? You seem to be quite at home here in his bed.”

“Perhaps I should rephrase what I mean.”

“Perhaps you should.”

“At this juncture, the consequences of our affair being discovered are severe. I could lose my job, and you could lose everything—including your seat on the board.”

“Maybe I’m bored with the board.”

“Darling, if you don’t engage in relations with your husband now, it will cause problems for us in the future. We both have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo as it protects our unique—but delicate—partnership.” 

“Do we have a limited or a full partnership?”

“You know how I feel about you.”

“Oh, you have a puritanical way of making me feel quite sordid—like I’m one of your high-priced call girls.”

“That was one time. I should have never told you that in confidence. You can’t let anything go, can you?”

“I can’t let go of you, can I? I’ve tried. I can’t.”

“You’re not listening to me. Your husband is suspicious. He’s acting quite strange in the office.”

“How so?”

“He’s asking too many questions. I don’t think he trusts me anymore.”

“He shouldn’t.”

“Well, I don’t see how we can continue without you repairing your relationship with him. Perhaps it’s best if we end it now.”

“Oh, you are insufferable! Come back to bed. It’s too early in the morning for paradoxical pronouncements. But I’ll indulge you. Just this once. Explain it to me like I’m a child. How can making love to my husband benefit our affaire de cœur?”

“It will throw him off our scent. You know how dogged he is when he has a bone to chew on. The way he looks at me at meetings. I think he knows—”

“About my attempts to break the prenup?”

“Possibly.”

“Or our affair?”

“Likely.”

“Or your embezzling?” 

“Embezzling is such a vulgar word.”

“Would you prefer I call your stealing something academic? In the future, I’ll use a euphemism from business school—like reallocation of financial resources. Or maybe something lawyerly: fraudulent appropriation. Or maybe literary? You are purloining ill-gotten gains. Regardless, you’ve been a thief longer than you’ve been unzipping my dresses.” 

“You were bold from the start.”

“Me?”

“Yes, you. I blame you for my separation from my second wife.”

“I’ve seen your second wife. You should be thanking me.”

“Attacking my wife? That’s low. Even for you. You used to be so enchanting.”

“You used to be brazen. I remember the time under the conference room table when—”

That was one time, too. God, I should never have touched you. You’re poison.”

“And you’re boring. Get dressed. Get out.”

“Fine! But don’t think you can outsmart your husband and me. We know about your attempts to wrest control of the company.”

“Ridiculous! What are you implying—”

“I’m not implying anything. I’m telling you what I know to be the truth.”

“You and the truth have parted company long ago. You see diabolical plots and seedy schemes that don’t exist!”

“Hah!”

“Don’t laugh at me!”

“How can I help it when you are such a fool? As your husband’s Chief Financial Officer, did you think I wouldn’t notice a few senior managers lapping up shares of stock like kittens at a bowlful of cream?”

“I didn’t think you needed to know.”

“You didn’t think I needed to know that you, your co-conspirators, and your inter-dealer brokers were engaged in a stock acquisition? It was the shoddiest attempt at a corporate takeover I’ve ever seen.”

“Not true! We have managed to amass a majority of the company’s stock.”

“I’m curious. How much did they tell you that they had in hand?”

“Over 50%.”

“Hah! All of your dark pools and anonymous exchanges were for nothing. Your friends have kept you in the dark. All you’ve managed to scrape together this past quarter is 48%...”

“It’s more than 48%—much more!”

“O contraire, my love. The Chief Technology Officer is an old girlfriend of mine from college. At my request, she installed tracking software on all corporate email accounts after the last shareholders’ meeting.” 

“Including board members?” 

“Especially board members.”

“Liar!”

Liar? This coming from a woman who did not follow through on the pregnancy termination agreement we discussed!”

“I—”

“God forbid you become anyone’s mother! But by becoming pregnant, it violates your prenuptial agreement. Prepare yourself for a nasty divorce.”

“How so?”

“Your husband has had a vasectomy.”

“It’s your child.”

“No, it is not. Mercifully, you aren’t pregnant.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“Because sleeping with you and vasectomies are two things your husband and I have in common.”

“I hate you.”

“Perhaps the Chief Operating Officer is more to your liking. I know you’ve been seeing him on the side. Did you think sleeping with him would help you gain control of your husband’s company?”

“At least he’s not a coward!”

“True. But he’s also a liar.”

“How so?”

“Because he only holds 1% of the stock.”


December 25, 2023 17:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

67 comments

Michał Przywara
16:56 Dec 28, 2023

Heh :) Fun, zippy dialogue, and the stakes keep rising with each exchange. But I guess if you're a paranoid selfish person that's trying to screw everyone else over, and you surround yourself with paranoid selfish people that are trying to screw everyone over, this is what you'll get. Very much a nest of vipers. We can't really feel sorry for anyone here, since all the injuries are stubbornly self-inflicted, but we can sure enjoy the fallout :)

Reply

20:11 Dec 28, 2023

This tale is as shallow as its odious main characters. It's a Miracle on Filth Street. A non-Christmas Carol. It's a Worthless Life Lust Actually Die Already, and Harder (I could go on....)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
00:52 Dec 28, 2023

Wow, Deidra!! This was truly amazing! With every new story, you prove that you are perfection personified and one of the best author's Reedsy has to offer!

Reply

03:17 Dec 28, 2023

Happy holidays, Mr. Hayes!! Hey, maybe check out Discord. We’re putting together a writing conference in Dublin, Ohio (near Columbus) in March and Dublin Ireland in August. You’d be such a great speaker with your mashup of horror and comedy! The conference will be hybrid, but we’re driving up — ❤️ Think about it. It would be fun to hang out with you and hear what Mr. Macabre is up to…🧌

Reply

03:18 Dec 28, 2023

Love to your sweet family this holiday season 🎁

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
06:24 Dec 28, 2023

I will definitely think about that. It sounds like fun! Which Discord is it?? I haven't been on there for a while...lol Love to your amazing family too, Merry Christmas and Happy New year!!!!!

Reply

12:43 Dec 28, 2023

Link in my bio 😎

Reply

12:43 Dec 28, 2023

https://discord.gg/bxTWQw3HJR

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delia Tomkus
00:47 Dec 28, 2023

After about a year the ungodly restrictions were lifted on my laptop so I could sign into my Reedsy account again, and I am not disappointed! I will forever be a fan of your work, they effortlessly(or seemingly so) blend real topics into stories that are entertaining to read. I loved this piece.

Reply

03:11 Dec 28, 2023

Welcome back, Delia ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. D. Lair
21:41 Dec 26, 2023

I’m intimidated to try all dialogue for a story, but you did real well with it. :) quite a lot of intrigue going on here!

Reply

21:55 Dec 26, 2023

You should give it a shot. Conjure up two horrible (or not-so-horrible) people with some ax to grind, whether it be big or small. Let them rant. Take notes. Viola! Storytime. Works like a charm :)

Reply

J. D. Lair
22:09 Dec 26, 2023

Haha thanks for the suggestions! You make it sound easy, and perhaps it is. I’ll have to try it to find out. :)

Reply

22:14 Dec 26, 2023

Let me know if you need a beta reader. :)

Reply

J. D. Lair
22:20 Dec 26, 2023

I appreciate the offer and will definitely keep you in mind. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:59 Dec 26, 2023

My ex had two children after his vasectomy, or else he had help. Thanks for liking my 'Too-Cute' effort at Hallmark drama.

Reply

20:33 Dec 26, 2023

😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
11:56 Jan 16, 2024

<removed by user>

Reply

19:22 Jan 16, 2024

Sorry for your troubles, DJ. Maybe 2024 is your year? I’ll get to your story tomorrow—hung up in airports today 😌

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.