Decisions (Choices Pt. 2)

Submitted into Contest #55 in response to: Write a story about an old family secret surfacing generations later.... view prompt

87 comments

Drama Thriller African American

Author's note: Hey guys! The paths for this section are really short, since the number of paths I have to write keeps increasing with every choice. Also, if you don't know, I am a student and school starts for me on September 2nd. I'm really trying to get good grades this year for my GPA, and so, unfortunately, I have to put writing aside. In my spare time, I will try to continue writing, but it might take longer for stories to come out. The google form will be attached to the end of the last one. Here is the link: https://forms.gle/52M2TLLAG1BsFFq17. Either way, thank you for being here for me!


Here are the paths from Part One:


G ----------- K


H ----------- If you detour to the second floor, go to paragraph L.

If you keep going, go to paragraph M.


I ----------- If you jump and hope for them to catch you, go to

paragraph N.

If you take your neighbor's hand and go back to

your apartment, go to paragraph O.


J ----------- P




K. Thrusting the knife towards him, you aim for his leg, hoping to immobilize him. He dodges it and the blade misses, sinking deep into the hardwood flooring of your apartment’s bedroom. As you frantically tug on the hilt, your neighbor fires off two shots. One goes wide and smashes through the glass pane of your window, while the other finds a place in your calf. 

Screaming, you roll over and loosen your grip on the knife. You’ve never been shot before, and the movies don’t do justice to the pain. In agony, you lay on the ground as your neighbor stoops down beside you. 

“I quite frankly don’t understand-” he gives the knife a strong jerk and the blade frees itself from the wood, “-why all of you are so difficult to work with.” Gently setting the kitchen knife on the ground next to you, he reaches in the direction of the saw. A million thoughts race through your head at once, but a particular one stands out. What is he talking about? And what is "all of us" supposed to mean? 

You glance at his outstretched hand and then at the knife just over a foot away from you. It looks like he's going for the saw, and for a man who suspiciously has thousands of dollars delivered to his doorstep and shot you, you're not exactly sure you want to wait around and see what he plans to do with it. 

But on the other hand, he might know a thing or two. The answers to your questions may lie only in him, and besides, if he wanted to shoot you, he wouldn't have pulled the knife out and left it so close to you. He obviously trusts you, but do you trust him? And do you want to find out what happens if you do?

To be continued...


L. Chances are that if you don't know the area very well, neither does he. You pull the door open and bolt to the right on impulse. It leads to a hall in which the only illumination is a dim glow from a lamp at the end of the hallway. The door to this floor opens and closes behind you, and you know he's coming. 

There's only one way onward from here, and he could have gone the same way as you, in which case you have no time to lounge around. Taking a big gulp and a deep breath, you shuffle ahead, shivers running along your spine at the creak of the floorboards under your weight. You only make it a few feet further before someone else's footsteps echo through the hall. 

Turning slowly, you find yourself face-to-face with your neighbor. You almost trip over your feet as you back up, whipping around and running for the other end of the hall. In your attempt to flee from your perpetrator, you've probably forgotten how unstable this flooring is, and as one of your feet hit the ground a wooden board is ripped from its fastener, leaving jagged edges along the side. 

Your leg goes through the gaping hole on the other side and you begin to fall through. The surrounding boards aren't much stronger, and as your waist follows your legs, the hole widens. Just seconds before you completely fall through, one of your flailing hands finds a grip on a loose nail. You hold on tight, fearing for your life.

Your feet dangle above the abyss of darkness, and one of your pink slippers slides off your feet. Your risk looking down at it as it falls, but you don't hear the sound of it hitting the ground. 

Gulping, you lift your head and steal a glance at the nail you're hanging from. It cracks through a new fiber of wood every time your body swings. There's nothing else to hold onto, and it’s a long drop from here. Suddenly, your neighbor kneels on a steady plank and reaches out his hand to you. 

You blink a few times, then look back at him. 

"Come with me," he says, extending his hand further. "There’s a lot you don't know." 

The nail cracks through another three layers of wood and you do your best not to look. Instead, you slowly reach for a piece of wood not far from you. You throw it down and listen for the sound. It comes rather quickly, and you begin to wonder whether you just missed the noise the first time. Looking back at him, you don't know what to do. 

Taking his hand and letting him pull you out seems like the obvious choice. It really could be, but you never know what he plans to do afterward. He has proven himself as a psychopath, and it's not too far-fetched to think he might have an ulterior motive. But, the thing is, if you let go of the nail you’re holding onto, you might not die. You might not even sprain your ankle. The slipper is pretty light, and if the wood dropped that soon, then it must not be as far down a drop as you think.

To be continued...



M. It's too dangerous to try and navigate through a place you’ve never even seen before. You continue rushing down the stairs until you reach the end. Pushing the door open and running outside, you find yourself in a deserted parking lot. Even your rickety Mazda is gone. 

“What kind of sick nightmare is this?” you whisper to yourself. 

Just a few feet behind you, the door from the stairwell swings open and out stumbles your panting next-door neighbor. "Stop – don’t," he wheezes between breaths. He bends over and rests his hands on his knees. 

"Who are you?" you say, backing away from him. 

"No, wait!" he stretches out his hand to you, but a second too late. Bullets rain down on you from above and you scream. You are not cut out for this. 

Your brain begs for you to run, but your legs seem to be glued to the ground. All you can do is watch as the bullets fly, pelting the ground around you. 

Suddenly three perfectly aimed shots fly from the ground up and the shooting ceases. Your head turns and you see your neighbor, the pistol from earlier in his hands. 

"Huh?" is all you manage to say before a body rolls off the roof of the building and drops into the parking lot. It's close enough that you can see the details of his figure. 

Scanning the body, a particular tattoo stands out amidst the many along his arm. It's positioned sideways on his wrist and appears to be a double-sided sword sheathed in ice. The image pokes at a discarded memory in the back of your mind, but your neighbor drags you away before you can fully recollect. "What you just saw, you can't just disclose to anyone.” 

He leads you back up the stairs, going past your floor and up to the 5th floor. Shoving open the door, you hear voices carrying through the crack of a slightly open door at the end of the hall. 

"Where are we going?" you ask, your voice a whisper. 

Your neighbor looks back at you and gives you a half-smile. "Draco will tell you everything." 

Confused, you furrow your brow. “Who is Draco? " To that, he doesn't answer. The two of you keep going until you reach the open door. 

"Go ahead," your neighbor says, motioning towards the open door. You inhale and open the door enough for you to slip in. 

In the center of the room is a rectangular table with four men in black jackets and boots sitting around it. As your eyes meet the man at the head of the table, something goes off in your head. 

Somehow, you've met this man before, but can't put a finger on when, where, or how. You can’t even remember who he is. Still, when he looks up he smiles warmly at you, creases form beside his eyes. 

"It's been too long. John?" 

Your neighbor comes into the room and stands next to you. "Yes?" he answers. 

"Have a seat." 

John walks around the table and takes a seat to the left of the man you recognize. At the head of the table, the man stands. He walks with a limp towards you, cupping your face in his hands. Startled, you stumble back. 

The warmth in the man's eyes fades into something nostalgic, but sorrowful. "You don't remember me, do you?” 

You remain silent and stare at him blankly. Even if you wanted to answer, you don't exactly know what you would say. He sighs and looks at the ground.

"Then we have a long way to go. I was your father's friend. His best friend, actually. And this – " he motions to the men around the table, "-was your father's choice. The Choosing has gone on for generations, but the decider is usually male. Of course, your father only had one child, and that child happens to be you. So we will accept it either way.” 

Blinking a few times, you turn your gaze towards John. “What?” 

John only smiles. “Just listen. You’ll understand." 

Trusting him for a reason you can't explain, you face the man in front of you. “So who are you?" 

He chuckles softly. "My name is Draco. But you probably know me better as Uncle."


To be continued...



N. If you jump, there's still hope. Going back would be a death wish. You already know you can't trust him, even if it looks like he wants to help. So you close your eyes, take a deep breath, and lean forward. Wind rushes past you as you freefall, muffling the sound of the screams below. 

The yelling gets louder and you open your eyes just in time to see a man rush out from the bottom floor of your apartment building, arms outstretched. He steps back and forth with his head tilted up, trying to guess where you’ll land. 

In another second or two, you feel yourself slam into someone's arms and hit your head on something. Warm liquid begins to flow from the back of your head down your neck, and the world starts to spin. A string of curse words flows from the mouth of the man holding you. 

"Oh," is the last thing you say before your eyes snap shut.


To be continued...




O. You'd have to be insane to jump from this height. It even resembles a suicide attempt. You don't want to do this, but there's not much of a choice. Inching your way back to the window, you take his hand. He pulls you over and slides the window open further to let you in. 

"Don't make this difficult," he says as you slip back into the room. Immediately, you search the room for a weapon of some sort, but he stands in front of you, cutting off your line of sight. 

"You don't know what you're doing, do you?" He's never actually spoken directly to you before, except for when he knocked on the door. Still, you don't answer. He sighs and pulls up the sleeve of his shirt, exposing a tattoo of a flaming sword in front of a ruby on his wrist. Looking closely, you gasp. The number of times you've traced your finger over that same tattoo on your father's wrist is uncountable. 

"Do you know my father?" you ask tentatively. 

Your neighbor smiles and nods. "I've been trying so hard to track you down, and then you walked right up and moved in next to me." He crosses the room and opens your door. “Follow me, "he says. “There's something you need to see."


To be continued...



P. She smiles sadly and wipes another tear from her cheek. "How did you open the door?" 

You pick up the object that you used to break the handle and hold it up. It's an umbrella. "This is it." 

She takes the umbrella from you and turns it over in her hands. "Just this?" 

“Just that." 

Madeline seems lost in thought for a moment, then unscrews the handle from the rod. It's hollow inside and there appears to be something folded and stuffed into the back of the rod. She looks at it and then at you. "I can't reach it." Handing it over to you, she turns her gaze to the ground. 

Something about her behavior seems off, but it's probably just nerves. She's never even seen you before, and you're a lot older than her, not to mention bigger. You shake your head to clear the thought and peer into the pole. It looks like you can pull it out, but you try and it's just out of reach. Grunting in frustration, you hand it back to Madeline. 

"I can't get it either.” 

Her lips bunch up to the side and she points out the door "Maybe there's something we can use where you got the umbrella from." 

You shrug and walk towards the door, straining your eyes to see your way using only the dim light from behind you. All of a sudden, something smacks you on the back of the head, and warm liquid flows down your neck, pooling in the pit of your shoulder. 

Staggering backward, you collapse. "Madeline," you call out, expecting for her to help you up, but she just scoffs and steps over your now limp body. 

"You were too easy,” she whispers, easily finding her way to the door and walking out. 

You try to get up and follow her, but as you start to sit up, pain explodes across your head and you fall back into the small puddle of blood that is forming on the tile floor.

A minute later the room spins uncontrollably around you and your eyes shut tight. 


To be continued...


August 21, 2020 23:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

87 comments

Hriday Saboo
14:10 Aug 24, 2020

Brilliant story phebe I have submitted my new story Pls read it

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
17:17 Aug 24, 2020

Thank you and sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
04:33 Sep 12, 2020

I have a new story out. After writer's block. Would you mind checking it out ?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hriday Saboo
06:22 Aug 31, 2020

Hey 👋 phebe. I have submitted another story. Do read it and give your feedback.

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
01:16 Sep 01, 2020

I'll try!

Reply

Hriday Saboo
04:35 Sep 01, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
11:47 Aug 30, 2020

Ahhh so good! Just as awesome as the previous one. I’m curious though, are some paths considered more “right” than others? Because to me the one where she ends up in the room with the men in suits was the best outcome because she didn’t get injured and there was a lot of exposition, while in some of the others it look like she straight up dies lol (goddammit Madeline!). Anyways good luck with school! Get those grades Phebe!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
01:30 Sep 01, 2020

First, thank you! Second, no. There is no "right" way to go. Overall, you end up in two places (roughly). Third? Ah, yes. Madeline. I actually did not plan for her to be a bad guy. I actually liked her, but then I had run out of ideas to write for her, so here we are. I'm glad you liked it, thank you again!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
02:15 Sep 01, 2020

Yeah running out of ideas is always a thing, but I kinda like our current Madeline. The shock factor really enhanced the experience you know!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
03:18 Sep 01, 2020

Aww, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lee
01:20 Aug 28, 2020

Good job! Keep writing, and hey, if you have time will you come read any of my stories? Like "The Cecil Greene Story?" And I read the part 1 and 2 backwards, but they still both delighted my imagination.

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
06:59 Aug 28, 2020

I will check it out! LOL!

Reply

Rebecca Lee
14:12 Aug 28, 2020

Most certainly will be looking for more of your stuff to read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
18:27 Aug 27, 2020

I love this. You are a super hero. We will miss your writing while you are in school. I hope you are able to finish this in advance of the hiatus.

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
06:54 Aug 28, 2020

I don't think so, but I'll try!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
21:04 Aug 25, 2020

I'm so glad you gave us one more installment before you start school, Phebe! I love this and will eagerly await whenever you have time to send more. Good luck with school - you sound very dedicated and you clearly can write like a star so I'm sure you will have a great year!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
10:14 Aug 26, 2020

Aww, thanks, Kristin! I hope I can squeeze one more set in before the end of summer, looking forward to it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
09:17 Aug 31, 2020

Great story!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
01:21 Sep 01, 2020

Thank you, Sarah! Also, good luck with restoring your account!

Reply

. .
01:25 Sep 01, 2020

Thanks, I'm getting there

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
01:50 Sep 01, 2020

Well, godspeed.

Reply

. .
01:51 Sep 01, 2020

Hehe Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Estelle Westley
12:23 Aug 30, 2020

Brilliant if you have so much on your plate at the moment.

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
01:31 Sep 01, 2020

Thank you, Estelle!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D. Jaymz
04:18 Aug 29, 2020

Well done 👏 A great sequel that's sprawling out in interesting directions 😊 Stay safe at school.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yolanda Wu
07:15 Aug 28, 2020

This was such an intriguing story with such a unique format. I was extremely hooked throughout and your descriptions were so good. The use of second person was used really well. And oh god that cliffhanger! Amazing work as always. :)

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
21:30 Aug 28, 2020

Aww, thanks so much, Yolanda! Where did you end up?

Reply

Yolanda Wu
23:26 Aug 28, 2020

Technically I ended at K, but I kind of just read it all. Because your writing is so good!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
PAMELA ABWAO
04:56 Aug 28, 2020

How dare you leave me hanging. I hope to get more of this. Great job

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
07:05 Aug 28, 2020

LOL, thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B.T Beauregard
20:22 Aug 27, 2020

Awesome story!! I was looking forward to a part two and I was not disappointed. Great job!! Keep writing!! :)

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
06:57 Aug 28, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amogh Kasat
12:27 Aug 24, 2020

It's a wonderful story! Please read my latest story The Secret Organisation { Part 2 }

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
17:18 Aug 24, 2020

Thank you and of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
San T.
14:37 Oct 29, 2020

Wow! This is so good.. waiting for your next chapter..

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
17:09 Oct 29, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avani G
00:44 Oct 12, 2020

Here for the critique circle! ;) I love both this one, and the first part! It may be too late to edit, but just for future purposes if you ever do anything like this ever again, I would recommend putting the authors note in the comments section or the Google Forms link in the bio. Okay, now on to feedback. I didn't really see the need to put so many "To be continued..." since it was all in one story. I would suggest putting three asterisk symbols (***) or three dashes (---). Besides from that, I didn't find anymore feedback that I ...

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
19:33 Oct 12, 2020

Thanks, Avani! In the future, I will definitely do that! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:32 Sep 21, 2020

Hey, Phebe would you be kind to watch the first video it's on Harry potter. https://youtu.be/KxfnREWgN14 Sorry for asking your time, I would ready your story

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
00:05 Sep 22, 2020

I played it, is it yours, or a friend's?

Reply

01:04 Sep 22, 2020

It's mine, I made it, it took me two weeks only just two hours daily.

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
18:52 Sep 22, 2020

Well, keep going! :)

Reply

05:15 Sep 23, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
02:17 Sep 01, 2020

You certainly have several paths thought out. You might want to have decision points to break up the longer sections so they are more the length of part N or O. sections L and M seem particularly lengthy for a select your adventure style piece. The way to think about this is not as a story, but as a set of choices that have consequences. Each choice needs to be based on text of roughly comparable length, though a few short segues are allowed. IIRC, the first time was a lot closer to that requirement. Don't be afraid to have several end up...

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
03:20 Sep 01, 2020

Thank you so much, Charles. I'm not sure if I'll make dying an option since I don't want there to be a "right" path, but I'll consider it. By the way, how did your book deal go?

Reply

Charles Stucker
03:28 Sep 01, 2020

Still in the air. They're going to send me the final contract...but have not gotten around to it yet. I've dealt with this sort before. Slow as molasses because their pay is the same no matter how fast (or slow) they work.

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
03:52 Sep 01, 2020

Classic. Well, godspeed (or not) and good luck.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Oh my gosh, WOW! This was such a great part two!!!!! I’m always going to love this cool format, LOL. Anyways, I like how natural this 2nd person it, and your writing style is fantastic. So many details and it’s so action-y that it hooks you straight into the story! Awesome job, Phebe! ~Aerin P. S. I just posted a new story!! Do you have time to check it out? Thanks!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
00:00 Aug 22, 2020

Thank you so much, Aerin! Of course, I have time to check it out!

Reply

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
06:01 Nov 05, 2020

This is a wonderful story.Ver good.Keep writing.Well writing. Would you mind reading my story “Lead me alone”

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
18:18 Nov 05, 2020

I'm a bit busy, but I will try!

Reply

The Cold Ice
03:34 Nov 06, 2020

Ok.

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
04:55 Nov 06, 2020

Umm we Can became freinds.

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
05:18 Nov 06, 2020

Um, maybe??? :)

Reply

The Cold Ice
05:19 Nov 06, 2020

Ok hi

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
05:36 Nov 06, 2020

Hi.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.