41 comments

Romance Speculative Mystery

The Passing


The Passing has been passed on. The title is an obscure lost manuscript written by an infamous novelist who has promised it will never be published. Being the first ever penned by this well known best seller one can only imagine what genius it may harbor. Every published book has struck immediate notoriety. Eleven of these masterpieces have been adapted to successful draws at the box office. After thirty years of producing flawless works could it be possible the first would not live up to the last twenty five? Should the author be the final judge of the piece? Shouldn't the sizable adoring fan base have a vote in the validity of it's merit?

Certain attributes are common for this writer's creative ventures. The story must evoke genuine emotional impact across the full range of human emotion without being manipulative. The story must be dramatic without being melodramatic. The characters, plot, and story elements must be universal (feel "real" to the reader), interesting, and original.

Once a marketable formula has been developed stick with what works for the majority of readers. They will pick up a new offering because they are familiar with the style. They have come to expect a level of excellence and seek out whatever is produced by a favorite wordsmith. However, some critics may scrutinize and complain of the predictable tropes created over and over again thereby swearing off ever picking up another title by the composer. Still, with over 132 million books sold and translated into 54 languages, can anyone argue the popularity of this talent? Something is charismatic and charming about the brand.

Some things can always be expected within the prose. There will be a strong, alpha-type male character coming to the rescue of a beautiful and/or talented female heroine. She will be near perfect, he may be slightly flawed. The setting will be in a small town on the east coast of the United States. A major conflict will arise that looks insurmountable. They may not like each other initially but eventually will come together to overcome the problem whether it be an antagonist or a circumstance. They will inevitably fall in love. Smaller obstacles may hamper their happily-ever-after search adding to the plot but eventually it will all work out despite any twists along the way. The ending may be totally unexpected but the heart-touching human elements almost always show growth and may bring a tear to the eye. What's not to like?

Fans are hungry for more from this prolific scribbler. Without formal training in how to go about writing anything, let alone a best seller, perhaps this originator lacks confidence that the first effort was worthy. After all it came about at a very young age. Ten years later with much more maturity and literary reading under the belt an acceptable script was produced. Even after several rejections a beginning faithful agent believed in it and procured a hefty advance along with selling it to a film producer. As they say, the rest is history. Every one of subsequent novels became instant best sellers.

What if, with a good deal of speculation using the tried and true formula of the perfect love story, we craft our own version of what may be within this hidden potential gem titled 'The Passing'? It may summarize something like this:

Frequent moves in his younger years caused Nick to be somewhat shy and introspective. Even so the serious high school student is attracted to the beautiful homecoming queen, Cathy. On his part he is a true believer in love at first sight but she is far out of his social status being outgoing and involved in all theatrical endeavors. She loves to sing and dance but is slowly finding herself enthralled by his love of poetry, the ever present notebook he keeps for journaling and his academic achievements.

As he makes his valedictorian speech at graduation and she sings the last song, the choice is made as they embark on the longest ride. Within a year they take a walk to remember down the aisle. The wedding is all white lace and promises as he feels like the lucky one because she has entered the safe haven of his love and they start their own dreamland side by side.

Even going to college on an athletic scholarship did not insure success when an injury crippled his running ability. He graduated with a finance degree but still struggled to find his niche. He started and lost his own company then settled for a pharmaceutical sales position as he and Cathy started counting miracles one after another then two by two as twin girls arrived.

A bend in the road happened when he tried his hand at writing well instead of simply writing. The wish for success finally came to the rescue. He could now claim the public can “see me” and recognize “the best of me”.

But even unparalleled fame and attention does not guarantee a happy life or a happy wife. After years of being the guardian of each other's every breath, upon the return from a three week trip with his brother he finds a 'Dear John' letter awaiting him as a message in a bottle from the love of his life. Even after nights in Rodanthe trying to recapture the magic the writing is on the wall. The ultimate love story has suffered the passing.

+++

All novel titles by this beloved author are highly recognizable even in reverse order of their debut: Counting Miracles (due out in September 2024); Dreamland; The Wish; The Return; Every Breath; Two By Two; See Me; The Longest Ride; The Best of Me; Safe Haven; The Last Song; The Lucky One; The Choice; Dear John; At First Site; True Believer; Three Weeks With My Brother; The Wedding; The Guardian; Nights in Rodanthe; A Bend in the Road; The Rescue; A Walk to Remember; Message in a Bottle; The Notebook.

Okay. Admit it. There is a spark of recognition: Nicholas Sparks, reigning king of tragic romance. He hopes to be remembered as an author who defined and exemplified excellence in crafting the modern love story.

May 22, 2024 21:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

41 comments

10:08 May 31, 2024

I was aware of the stories that had been made into movies! Great author to write about. Don't know how I missed this story. Matches with the prompt well. I started writing my story to this prompt but in the end chose a different prompt. Thanks for reading and liking that one. You have another story in Reedsy too. Will check it out another day.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:14 May 31, 2024

The next story is a repeat of an old one I think you read. It fit the prompt so well I recycled it. I haven't paid to enter it into the contest yet because I don't know if that is frowned on or okay to do. This week was busy.

Reply

22:06 May 31, 2024

As long as each submission is to a different version of the prompt. But no extra brownie points for multiple submissions. Extra $$ to Reedsy for each. They are in on their own merit. The site won't let you put in multiples under an identical prompt. So, four or five variations on the given theme, and that's how many different stories you can submit

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:08 Jun 01, 2024

Thanks. That is how I understand it. Just wondering if it okay to resubmit under a different week/theme/prompt?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Martha Kowalski
01:15 May 31, 2024

Any mention of Nicholas Sparks gets a like from me!!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
05:57 May 31, 2024

Thanks. Glad you like him and my entry. And 'Not Another One', also.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KT George
15:33 May 29, 2024

I've never read a Nicholas Sparks book, but I'm familiar with the titles of those made into movies. This was a fun read and very creative.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:49 May 29, 2024

Thank you 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Redken
19:54 May 28, 2024

Great read, Mary!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:35 May 28, 2024

Thanks for liking it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pen Bragan
13:11 May 28, 2024

I loved this! So fun when I figured out who you were talking about... I read many Nicholas Sparks book as a teenager! Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:27 May 28, 2024

Glad you liked it.😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
10:05 May 28, 2024

Thanks Mary. Good writing. Thanks for sharing with us.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:26 May 28, 2024

Happy you liked it😊.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
17:58 May 25, 2024

Very nicely done, Mary. You have a great voice. I have seen several of those films (who doesn't love "The Notebook"?) but never knew that Nicholas Sparks produced all of those. What a prolific writer. How am I not more familiar with him? p.s. One quick tip: Ensure, not Insure. (I used to get those two mixed up all the time and my editor would always lecture me about it.)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:57 May 25, 2024

Thanks for the tip. Already been approved so can't correct. So silly to make mistakes like that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
17:12 May 25, 2024

So heartfelt, yet so inspiring. I admit, Sparks is not my genre of choice, but you elegantly and effectively captured the feelings, struggles, and price of triumph so perfectly, I want to read all of his works now.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:27 May 25, 2024

Wow, that is high praise. The first book I read of his was 'The Best of Me' which had me in tears. I think I watched 'The Notebook' and 'Message in a Bottle' long before not knowing they were his. I have not gone looking for his latest ones yet but may have talked myself into doing that. Our library closed down during COVID then got weird in what they were offering children so I haven't been there for a while.

Reply

Myranda Marie
17:33 May 25, 2024

You always deserve high praise. Your writing is always worth reading. I'd prefer an original Mary Benedickson over a Sparks any day. My son just visited our local library last week for the first time in probably fifteen years. We are geeks and buy books; lol. He said it was rather crowded and just as pleasant and peaceful as it was when he was a kid. {However, they didn't have what he was looking for..haha}

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
12:57 May 25, 2024

Okay, I admit, I thought Louis L'amour until you mentioned east coast. Don't know why 132 million books brought him to mind, but there you go. I didn't catch on until "a walk to remember." My wife has never accused me of being the most observant. Another great nonfiction, Mary.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:03 May 25, 2024

Thanks for liking and playing the guessing game.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beverly Goldberg
19:45 May 24, 2024

Writing is hard. And you carried us through the torment, the growth, the successes, the reactions beautifully. This was one of the most difficult set of prompts I have seen to date, and you nailed it. Thank you again for a for terrific story.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:11 May 24, 2024

Exactly what I was 🤔 thinking. Didn't know if I would be able to get one out so thanks for the encouragement.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lewis
19:11 May 24, 2024

"The Passing" sounds like it could be a fascinating piece of literary history. The idea of an unpublished manuscript by someone as famous as Nicholas Sparks is bound to spark curiosity and debate. It's is an interesting 'what-if' scenario. It highlights how much impact Nicholas Sparks has had. Even his unpublished works are a big deal. It’s up to him, but finding a way to share a bit of this hidden gem could be a win-win for both him and his fans.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:06 May 24, 2024

There was another early one called 'The Royal Murders' that he is also keeping hidden. He must be the judge that these were not up to par.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
09:11 May 24, 2024

So much truth written in this story. It made me agree with some points of view that I read here. Nicely done, Mary.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:09 May 24, 2024

Thanks for the comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
06:05 May 24, 2024

A very interesting read and a clever concept to answer the prompt. Well said! Always a pleasure to read your writing!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
06:08 May 24, 2024

Thank you,Kristi. Always like your Mystic Coast

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lindsay Flo
23:47 May 23, 2024

Not being a Nicholas Sparks fan, I didn’t get it until the end, and then I had a second read. Very clever take on the prompt!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
00:13 May 24, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Detti
14:25 May 23, 2024

Loved it mary! I couldn’t stop crying when I read ‘the best of me’ . Lovely tribute!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:58 May 23, 2024

I felt the same way with that one. Think it was the first one I read of his then sought the others out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
13:07 May 23, 2024

As someone who LOVES "A Walk to Remember" (both the novel and its film version) but is firmly Team Lon when it comes to "The Notebook" (Obviously, the healthier choice. Hahahaha !), I enjoyed this. I love the little references to his books. Lovely work !

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:54 May 23, 2024

Thank you kindly. Didn't know where to start this week.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:56 May 23, 2024

I know what you feel, Mary. I kind of find the prompts this week...a bit restrictive ? Too much requirements. Oh well, we were both able to slog through them !

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:00 May 23, 2024

You make it look effortless.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:04 May 23, 2024

I don't. If you only knew the waves of self-doubt that come with a set of prompts I have no idea what to do with. I do appreciate the encouragement when I "have to walk on water", though. But thank you !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
12:57 May 23, 2024

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:53 May 23, 2024

Don't you know it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
17:48 May 27, 2024

You wrote: Shouldn't the sizable adoring fan base have a vote in the validity of it's merit? No. Not familiar with Sparks or his body of work. The only one of these that I recognized was 'the notebook.' Five stars for that. This seemed more like a testimonial than a story, still--good job writing well. (If I may use a peculiar turn of phrase.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.