21 comments

Drama Romance

My guest room closet is where ambition goes to die. Take, for instance, the green plastic tub of fabric. There’s the two yards of flannel meant to be the backing for my homemade face wipes. The internet said it was one of the best things you could do for the environment—ditch those cotton pads you get at the drug store in favor of reusable ones. It only took one link for me to find step-by-step instructions for making my own. A quick YouTube video taught me the recommended blanket stitch (poke the needle in from the back, move a stitch width across, leave a little loop and push the needle through the loop; repeat ad infinitum) to get that perfect, finished edge. I was going to make myself a set, and some for my mom and sister for Christmas. To my credit, I made six wipes before I got bored. I still use them to apply astringent in the morning, when I've remembered to launder them. 


Then there’s the yard of ivory minky with raised dots like fuzzy blueberries, or like tire prints in the snow. That was meant to be a baby blanket for my now three-year-old niece, paired with some left-over green flower-speckled cotton my mom had used to make table runners for my wedding. It was a nice thought—a great welcome to the family, little one! 


Once that niece turned two and decided that her favorite animal was a fish, I found goldfish-printed fabric—puffy orange and white koi tangled densely among pink lotus flowers in a way that reminds me of folds in the structure of a brain—and resolved to make her a dress. Never mind I’d never made a dress before. 


To my credit, I made her a skirt. It was cute, but here in the green plastic tub is the detritus of a goal half-achieved. There's the extra fabric, the circle of the skirt leaving a crescent moon void in the koi tangles; the unfinished straps cut out and sitting, frayed; the dress pattern imperfectly folded back into its bulging paper envelope, and the tracing I did on now-wrinkled wrapping tissue. Even less excusable are the patterns lying flat and crisp in unopened envelopes: pajama pants, the whimsical vintage tunic that could be made from any assortment of mismatched fabrics. They were only a few dollars, and I honestly thought I’d use them. 


That was the tail end of my Laura Ingalls Wilder phase, as I called it, when I was making my own bread and butter, and was just fascinated with the origins of things I’d taken for granted all my life. It was like scales had been lifted from my eyes, like I could see inside of bread and mascarpone cheese and yogurt. I remember the excitement I felt at witnessing the process of creation, seeing it all unfold at my fingertips. Flour, yeast, and water smashing under my knuckles and magically growing into something fragrant and nourishing. 


Making my own clothing was a satisfying, logical extension of that: snip, stitch; something from nothing. 


It's hard to say why I abandoned it all, why my toast this morning was on Oroweat from the grocery aisle, and after breakfast I donned a plain lavender cotton t-shirt from Target. I guess modern conveniences became too convenient once the next project at work heated up. My eyes were bigger than my stomach, or, my mom would say I was on to the next shiny thing. Maybe for me it was not the doing, but the knowing that mattered. So long as I could look at someone's dress and imagine the shape of the raw fabric, imagine the folds and seams coming together into something finished with dimension, that was enough. My curiosity was satiated. 


I toss neatly folded squares of fabric in the donation pile. 


Next to the green fabric tub is a smaller bin containing clay pots from my succulent gardening phase. As my fingers trail through the chalky sienna dust I remember the thrill of imposing order on life. The plants were all so smooth and self-contained, but plump and bursting inside with sappy juices bolstering the pert red and green petals on a ruby slipper echeveria, or the thousand tiny nubs like pinky toes stacked into the billowing columns of a donkey's tail sedum. I would play with color and texture, misty green bursting into pink and purple flame at the tips of variegated leaves. They were pretty hardy, until I went a month without watering them. Somehow, the joy of creation having lost is glow, my arrangements would become invisible and languish on a shelf. I'd made some nice birthday presents in my succulent phase. Maybe some of my arrangements were still cherished in some other house where they were maintained enough to thrive. 


I survey the clay pots, most of them chipped or cracked now, and reluctantly put them in the trash pile. 


Beneath the clay pots, paper cut-outs litter the floor of the clear plastic container—rabbits and hedgehogs and deer cut from the remains of wrapping paper too cute to throw away. I remember how my intent had been to decoupage the pots with a forest of critters. 


I wonder if cleaning out the guest room will be another hobby that I abandon before it’s done. Already I’m tempted to take some Mod Podge to the dining room table (I'm sure I'll find it in the set of plastic drawers holding the rulers and colored pencils and spools of purple satin ribbon left over from my wedding favors) and finish the stupid decoupage. 


I close my eyes and take a deep, palate cleansing breath through my nose, feeling my belly rise and fall. Then I toss the cut outs onto the trash pile and move on to the bin of unread books—my someday pile. Without opening it, I push the whole box with my foot into the donation pile. 


I think of my latest hobby: the green chevron rug, the orange black-out curtains, the robin’s egg-colored swivel rocking chair, the white crib with sheets that look like an explosion of flowers on a spring meadow. I had pasted all of this into a Photoshop vision board as I acquired each item. I have three months to bring my vision to life—to transform the crowded guest room into a colorful and cozy nursery—before picking up a new hobby: motherhood.


The shrinking space beneath my sternum, right above the growing mound of baby, constricts with panic as I survey the piles on the bedroom carpet and realize just how bad I am at sticking to anything. 


Yes, I’m excited about this baby now. I wanted her. I’ve meticulously tracked her weekly growth from a lima bean to a lemon to a cantaloupe. I can match every fruit to every week. I set up a light box on the dining room table and photographed each item for cryptic weekly Instagram posts leading up to the big reveal a month ago: lentil, kidney bean, raspberry, kumquat, fig, apple, yam, eggplant, Baby Girl Sutton coming April 2021! 


Pregnancy has been a fun hobby, but what if that’s all it is? Will I stick with the whole Mom thing when it gets hard? Diapers and tantrums and annoying TV shows with theme songs that get stuck in your head? What if the joy is in the creation more than the execution?


“I can’t believe this is going to happen,” one of my co-workers had remarked over our last Zoom conference. “It’s like you’re going to have a new roommate for the next eighteen years!” 


Eighteen years is long enough to plant a fruit tree and see it come to bushel-full maturity. It’s more than halfway to paying off a mortgage. It’s the lifespan of a healthy cat. It’s...how many cups of coffee, I wonder, working some quick math in my head. Somewhere around 6,000! 


I don’t want to be the pregnant lady who cries. I bristle at that cliche. I’m not weak and hormonal; I’m growing a freaking life. But I feel a noise well up in my chest and I let it out in a protracted groan that makes the baby squirm. I feel a foot or elbow or something pressing near my right hip and I poke her back, pressing with two knuckles until my skin indents. My way of saying hi. She kicks back.


“You okay, Abby?” I’ve attracted Marcus’s attention and he peeks into the room. “You’re not lifting anything too heavy, right? Do you need me to move anything out?”


“I’m fine,” I say in a voice smaller than I expected to, still resting my hand on the right side of my belly.


“Geez. I thought you were cleaning this room out,” Marcus says, and I grimace as his eyes land on the piles that surround me, blanketing the gray carpet.


“Yeah. My life threw up.” I try to laugh. “I didn’t realize how much junk I’d collected.”


“You always have big plans,” he says, settling down next to me on the floor, tucking his knees up to his chest to fit between boxes.


“That’s my problem,” I agree. “I don’t know if I can do this.”


“Well, having a baby doesn’t mean giving up on your other interests…” Marcus begins.


“I already gave them up! Don’t you see? I gave up on sewing two years ago. I haven’t decorated a cake since your thirtieth.” I flop my arm toward the shoe box of frosting tips on the desk. “How am I supposed to maintain an interest in this baby for the rest of my life?”


Marcus laughs—a quick, contemplative chuckle. “I don’t know. I never thought about it that way.”


“You just assume it’s going to happen?”


“Yes.”


It's easy for him to say. Marcus is steady. He’s a tropical climate with twelve-hour days and 72-degree weather all year round. Five days a week he plays guitar for an hour in the evenings, picking apart the same chords, repeating the same bars. He doesn’t mind eating the same left-overs for dinner three days in a row.


My eyes stop wandering the room and seek out the source of this calm, casual yes that reverberates through the room like afternoon thunder. His eyes are there, waiting to catch mine. They are serious, no playful light glinting on their surface. 


“You’re going to be such a good mom.” I watch his lips move without offering a response. “You’re so full of energy.”


“Energy can’t be created or destroyed,” I say absently. “It just changes forms.” I don't know where that came from. “What if I’m too fickle?”


“You haven’t lost interest in me yet, right?” 


Now I laugh. Eight years together. Three cities, five different jobs between us, a dozen failed hobbies, but he’s not one of them. He’s the constant. “No.”


“You’re not fickle,” he says, picking up my hand and gently twisting my wrist. "You’re just really flexible. And all those things you think you’ve given up on?” He takes my hand and sweeps it, inside of his, around the room. “I don’t think you have. The way I see it, we’re all juggling different things in life, but we can only actively hold on to one or two balls at a time. The rest are hanging there in the air around us, but they’re still in play. You…” he squeezes my hand and a smile spreads through his cheeks up to his eyes. “You just have a lot of balls in play, and who knows when they’ll land? Maybe you’ll make our kid a unicorn cake for her first birthday, or maybe you’ll pull out some of this fabric and make her a bib or a blanket. And I would not be upset if you started making bread again someday.”


I’m re-evaluating the donation pile, scanning it for fabric that matches my vision board. “I’m going to have a baby in at least one hand,” I say. “How am I even supposed to juggle?”


“Slowly,” Marcus says as he slowly strokes the skin inside my wrist.


I have goose-bumps, but I also have a ball firmly in my hand. I’m going to clean this room. “Help me up,” I say, extending my arm.


As I rise, Marcus pulling me up off the floor, I feel her kick again, and I think of her inner ear developing a sense of balance, and imagine that labyrinth of tubes folding into place inside her skull, knitting themselves in with her brain. I imagine this sixth sense guiding her somersaults, weighing her head down toward the earth.


Each of us, even as adults, is a work in progress. Creation is steady and constant. I stand up and poke her back—two knuckles, hello.


January 30, 2021 03:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

21 comments

Allison M
03:29 Feb 01, 2021

Aww, I love this! What a wonderful way to delve into the fears of impending motherhood. This is the same prompt I took on for this contest, but I think you've got me beat :) Some things that I loved: *The specificity - you offer so many concrete details that, though small individually, come together to create a well-rounded portrait of your main character in all her fears, imperfections, and growth. Things like the names of her succulent plants, the description of the fish fabric, the Instagram baby announcement, etc., do a good job of ma...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ivan Cardoso
20:53 Jan 31, 2021

Great story! Like others pointed out, your writing flows really well, and the narrations pours out lovely, taking us from the first to the last lines, through relatable themes and the character's hobbies. A really good read. I have only one note, though. A small detail. The line "Each of us, even as adults, is a work in progress.", it doesn't really work. It has a "moral of the story" vibe to it, summing up the theme that appeared so organically during the rest of the story. It echoes the paragraph that came before it, when she describes the...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kristin Neubauer
18:53 Jan 31, 2021

I'm not adding anything new to the discussion to say I was awed by this story in so many ways. The writing - always the elegant writing with such flow and imagery. Your writing never feels forced to me. It all just washes over and through me in such a pleasing way. The first and last sentences both stayed with me....and then this one too: "Maybe for me it was not the doing, but the knowing that mattered. So long as I could look at someone's dress and imagine the shape of the raw fabric, imagine the folds and seams coming together into s...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Julie Ward
16:11 Jan 31, 2021

From one person who has kept Michael's in business over the years to another...this is spot on and such a good read. I remember going through the "what if" phase in pregnancy a million times. The way you've framed that very unique feeling within a craft room is brilliant. Your references to caring for living things and being curious about origins point to a woman who will approach motherhood with curiosity and ingenuity...and a craft corner stocked with endless reams of drawing paper, washable markers, jumbo boxes of crayons and lots of Pl...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Susan Sidell
05:24 Jan 31, 2021

Awesome!!!! You captured my attention with the first sentence and then held me hostage as I read of the lost hobbies and the fear of the newest hobby. Loved the steadfast husband to anchor. Superb!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shea West
05:07 Jan 31, 2021

Just add in a homemade Kombucha SCOBY hotel and you pretty much described me😂 The part about juggling made me think about what I tell people while they're in labor, that it's only possible to focus on one pain sensation at a time. But if we can distract from that pain, by introducing another small discomfort it'll make that big pain feel smaller. I think we do this sometimes when we take all these new hobbies....as if we're searching for the remedy to something that ails us. As always, I love your stories!!

Reply

A.Dot Ram
05:47 Jan 31, 2021

Right! That's what I kept wondering as I wrote this story: what is she hiding from with all these hobbies?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
K. Antonio
19:08 Jan 30, 2021

I am not a father *phew* but my little sister was born when I was in my mid twenties. At that time I think I witnessed my mother go through phases at least once or twice a week. It was making clothes, making baby food, gardening, being crafty in I don't know how many ways. This story really captured that. The language seems very precise, real and easy to follow. I enjoyed this!

Reply

A.Dot Ram
06:59 Jan 31, 2021

Maybe it's all just nesting instinct. Thank you for that comment on the language. It's something I've been thinking about this week-- finding precise words. I'm looking forward to digging into your new cycle soon!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David G.
14:01 Jan 30, 2021

This brought back memories. I remember those conversations about lima beans and lemons and cantaloupes.

Reply

A.Dot Ram
17:15 Jan 30, 2021

Right?! It all still feels so fresh in my memory, but not as fresh as turning these items into esoteric Instagram posts (possibly my favorite hobby in the story and the only one I haven't done in real life).

Reply

David G.
21:46 Jan 30, 2021

We probably could have done Instagram with our younger child, but I’m not nearly hip enough for that. Anyway, aren’t the kids all on Tik Tok these days? Regardless, nice story, as always. I saw you started an editing gig. That’s pretty awesome. Congratulations!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Moon Fox
18:53 Jul 19, 2021

<3<3<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Hedges
13:11 Feb 06, 2021

What a wholesome read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Scout Tahoe
15:49 Jan 31, 2021

I don't bake. I gave it up after my Laura Ingalls Wilder phase. The bread wouldn't rise or I'd read the recipe wrong. This story is so relatable. Honestly, I loved it for that and so much more. The voice of your main character changes from strong to worried and back to strong. It's amazing. So determined, as if anyone could get bored with a baby. ;) Happy 20th.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zilla Babbitt
23:39 Jan 30, 2021

Haven't we all had a Laura Ingalls Wilder phase? Or maybe it was just our moms. The second to last paragraph was an awesome visual of the baby's inner workings. And the last line? That last phrase? Perfect. I really enjoyed this story, Anne. Thanks so much for sharing.

Reply

A.Dot Ram
06:55 Jan 31, 2021

It seems like a lot of people are relating to the Laura Ingalls Wilder phase 😃. I wonder if it appeals to something in us writer-types with the drive to understand and create, or maybe it's more universal. Congratulations to anyone who can sustain that phase.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Le Roux
11:59 Jan 30, 2021

Oh this is lovely. I identify so much - I have baked and sewed and crocheted and moved on from them all. I remember anticipating my daughter's birth and wondering what kind of mother I would be. I really like the way you use language and imagery 💖

Reply

A.Dot Ram
17:17 Jan 30, 2021

Thank you. Yes, this is fairly autobiographical for me, too. Now if only someone had sat me down and talked me into believing in myself...

Reply

Kate Le Roux
18:13 Jan 30, 2021

I did think the husband was a little too good to be true! I guess in the end it is our kids' adoring love for us when they are little that convinces us that we are not impostors😊 Not as simple when they get bigger though!

Reply

A.Dot Ram
19:00 Jan 30, 2021

Perhaps I should go back and mark Fantasy as one of the genres 😊.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.