89 comments

Fantasy Teens & Young Adult Drama

Zerynthia turned as she heard a small knock on the door of her study. She turned, smoothing her hair back in place before sending a silent command to whomever was on the other side. The large doorway swung open to a man in his mid-twenties. A curved sword in a silver-inlaid leather sheath was fastened at his waist, partially covered by the dark gray cloak that hung from his shoulders. It fastened with a circular, silver clip, the symbol carved into it revealing his rank in the palace guard.


"Lady Castor." He murmured with a dip of his head. She didn't return the gesture, but nodded in acknowledgement.


"Lieutenant."


"I... just wanted to inform you that a new set of guards will be briefed and starting their rounds today. They've all completed their training- I oversaw it myself."


"Will that be all?"


He hesitated. "Yes, Lady Catsor. But... we received word that Forane and Riverdeen seem to be building their military. The south end of Alderon also-"


"Thank you, Lieutenant." Her voice was sharp, instructing him to leave. He dipped his head again, a look of relief crossing his face as he left.


"What to do...?" The voice echoed around the room, leaving echoes in Zerynthia's head. "You 're losing the alliance with Alderon. Riverdeen and Forane have allied against you. Against us. You'll lose everything you've worked for."


Lady Castor's eyes flickered to a luminescent green. When she opened her mouth to speak, two voices entwined in a hiss. "I won't let that happen."


***************


Posing as a Sinistrian guard was easier than Fyjun had thought. All it took was a little change to his appearance, a fairly simple backstory, a test or two on protocols and a demonstration of his flawless fighting skills.


But standing in the same place for hours on end without any entertainment or ways to come up with fabulous new pranks got very boring very quickly.


"Finally." He muttered under his black hood as another guard walked towards him. He silently exchanged his spear for the metal cuff the guard handed him. He snapped it around his wrist, turning down the corridor and towards the training bay. He stopped at the limpid set double doors, rotating the slightest so he could see inside.


Five figures occupied the massive space. Four were training, the other overseeing their movements. One person had stopped, and was gripping throwing knives tightly in her fists.


He reached out with his mind, a smug smile creeping on to his lips as the people's voices from inside the training bay cleared. What benefits there were to being a Spirit.


***************


"Raya, stop." The blonde instructor held out her hand, and Raya placed the knives in her outreaching hand. Elise didn't blink, turning on her heel and throwing each one on to the board twenty feet away. The three embedded in the wood in a perfect triangle.


Elise turned back to Raya with cold eyes. "This session is over."


She freed her hair from it's short ponytail, shaking her head as she passed through the translucent doors, not bothering to even glance at the guard before walking away.


He glanced around the corridor, then slipped into the training bay.

Kate looked over, then started towards him. "You know what your superiors are going to do if they knew you came in here, right?" 


He smirked. "Yes, but I suppose it's also true that you spoke to me first."


Kate could instantly tell that this person was her age, or close to it. His voice, first of all, sounded... young. And what she could feel of his mind without intruding did, too. 


"What are you doing in here, then?" 


He looked around Kate to Raya. "Helping. So that... whatever that was doesn't happen again." 


Kate stepped aside after a moment, walking in sync with the guard until they reached Raya. The noble turned, yanking one of the knives out of the board. The blemishes and cuts on the wood faded as the blade drew away. 


"Can I?" The guard held out his hand, and Raya gave a small, contemptuous scoff before holding one of the knives out.


He took it, twisting his body and angling his arm back before thrusting it forward in an arc, letting go of the blade as the tip became directly in line with a scarlet circle on the far wall. 


Kate crossed her arms as the guard held out his arm, the knife flickering away and appearing back in his hand. This person, whoever her was, had guts to show up and outdo a noble, even if was for the sake of helping. 


Raya glared, snatching it back and hurling it at the wood. The metal dug deep into the board, only the small, hollow circle on the end visible as the glint of sharp silver vanished into the white. The guard took a small step back as the noble turned to him, not looking as she mimicked the movement he had done.


"Chose your weapon." she hissed, gripping the black wound hilt of a sword.


"...Fine." Pale, white-green energy flared around his fingertips.


"Raya-" Kate knew that the guard didn't want to fight. But, since Raya had directly ordered him to, he didn't have a choice.


"Don't." She took a few steps back as her best friend spun towards her, pointing to the edge of the training bay with her sword. "Go away, and stop controlling my life like my mother."


Raya's eyes widened the slightest after the sentence slipped out of her lips. She narrowed her eyes, looking down at the glinting blade before throwing it to the floor and briskly walking out of the training bay. 


Kate started after her, but the guard stepped in front. 


"Don't."


She hesitated, but then stopped. He was right- Raya needed time alone. 


"Sorry." 


Kate looked back at him. "What?"


"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have... tried to interfere. I understand how she took me trying to help as outdoing her, instead."


The noble nodded after a moment. "Yeah. But I guess it just shows how much people care, kind of. She... hasn't seen a lot of that. Especially with... you know." 


He gestured at the entrance to the training bay. "I should get back to... standing there." 


Kate couldn't help but smile. Their steps fell in sync as the two exited the training bay. 


"You friend doesn't like me very much." The guard said softly, fidgeting with his hands. He stopped at the door, the metal band around the cuff of his right wrist lengthening into a long, silver spear as he spoke.


She glanced back in the direction the noble had gone. "Raya...hides herself well." Kate looked back at him, peering into the shadows blanketing the top of his face. She probed the darkness for his eyes.


"I must say, so do you."

He smiled, turning his head to look behind him, the forward at Kate. He reached for his hood, shaking his mess of stylishly disheveled brown hair free. His blonde highlights glistened in the shallow light from the setting sun and small, flickering orbs that lined the marble corridor.


Kate's face flushed bright scarlet. This guard... was the most gorgeous person she had ever seen.


"Lady Katya Lynneth." He murmured with a bow, tossing the hair out of his eyes as he straightened. "I am yours to command."


His eyes- the eyes Kate had been searching for- were a shade of ethereal bright green. They rivaled Cressida's, a color she had only seen depicted on one specific Spirit.


"Your name." she managed to sputter, tearing her eyes away from him to keep from embarrassing herself as the guard flashed her a perfect smile.


"Today, it's Luka."


Kate gave a small tilt of her head. "Are you a Shifter?" That was the only possibility that made any sort of rational sense.


The corners of Luka's lips tugged upwards into a smirk. "Something like that."


***************


Raya slammed the door of her room shut, giving a silent command that locked it. Her eyes fell on the thin, silver knife lying on a shelf perpendicular to the far back windowed wall. She grabbed it, fingers curling around the hilt. It looked like the knives at the training bay. She turned to stare at herself in the mirror, twirling a lock of hair before pressing the blade against the strands, cutting through and watching as a single, brown-black tress fell at her feet. She hid it behind the rest of her hair, placing the knife down on her vanity as she tied her hair up, staring at her reflection in the mirror. Her imperfect, flawed reflection in the mirror. 


She moved out of it's range, out of where she could see herself as she picked up the knife, running a finger along the edge. The blood reminded her of the roses staining the palace gardens. They were mutated and needed to be fixed just to be what the royals and nobles wanted. That's what her mother wanted, too. For her to be fixed


Raya turned the knife towards the wall, digging a long, jagged line into it. The line mimicked the trails her tears left on her face as they pooled in her eyes and ran down her cheeks.

Even though she had said for Kate to leave, a small part of her had wanted her best friend to follow, to tell her that it would be alright. But Kate hadn't come. Nevara was dead, any record of her possibly being alive vanished. And Therin... 


He wasn't coming back, no matter what Kate or Danelle or Cressida said. He was lost, too.


Everyone she loved was gone. 

April 09, 2021 21:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

89 comments

NOOOOOO MORE PLSSSSSS I HAD POPCORN WITH MEEEEEE Mir. THIS WAS SOO GOOOOOOOD LUKATEEEEEEEEE aaaaaaaaaaaaah *patiently waiting for arena*

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:12 Apr 13, 2021

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! There's gonna be more arena stuff next chapter, with Eriene, Therin, Jen, Alaric, and Everlys. (ALARYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS)

Reply

NPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP WOOOOOooooooOOOoooO (so me? XD) (YESHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)

Reply

Show 0 replies

and also- CaN I HavE A FANCy Name? (and be added to the characters if i am introduced?)

Reply

Mira Caplan
11:57 Apr 14, 2021

YeS, ObVi! (I'm planning on introducing Celeste (or maybe a character with a different cool fantays name) later. It's just the main crew, Raya, Kate, and Fyjun/Luka for now, but more characters will be introduced in visions and in the second book.

Reply

AWwwwWwwwwWWWwW lol XDDD WOOP Sounds great! also cool fantasy names AAAHHH

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:26 Apr 14, 2021

YEASSSSSSSSSSS I LOVE THEMMMMMMMM!!! Like Therin, Everlys, Eriene, Nevara, YIDSFDHKGJHJ I PROMISE she'll be important. I'm still figuring everything out, but maybe she could be Riva or Lein's sister (adopted? Half- sibling? Idk yet) or was in Jen and Althea's Shifter/torture group... Ooooooohhhhhhhhh, that would be SO COOLLLLLLLL

Reply

Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
19:26 Apr 14, 2021

YEASSSSSSSSSSS I LOVE THEMMMMMMMM!!! Like Therin, Everlys, Eriene, Nevara, YIDSFDHKGJHJ I PROMISE she'll be important. I'm still figuring everything out, but maybe she could be Riva or Lein's sister (adopted? Half- sibling? Idk yet) or was in Jen and Althea's Shifter/torture group... Ooooooohhhhhhhhh, that would be SO COOLLLLLLLL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
11:57 Apr 14, 2021

YeS, ObVi! (I'm planning on introducing Celeste (or maybe a character with a different cool fantays name) later. It's just the main crew, Raya, Kate, and Fyjun/Luka for now, but more characters will be introduced in visions and in the second book.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
03:50 Apr 21, 2021

heyyyy we haven't really chatted in a while... how have you been?

Reply

Mira Caplan
12:45 Apr 21, 2021

Hi!!! I've been good! I've been writing Part 22 of TDR, and I FINALLY figured out what the heck I'm actually going to do XD How about you??

Reply

TJ Squared
14:31 Apr 21, 2021

ooh noice :) I've been a little busy with school and all, but other than that, pretty good :)

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:03 Apr 21, 2021

Yeahhh, school. Homework. Tests. (whyyyyyyyyyy) That's good!!! Written anything interesting recently?

Reply

TJ Squared
15:26 Apr 21, 2021

well, one story called Gasper with the tree prompt and I'm trying to get another idea on paper lol.

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:28 Apr 21, 2021

Oooh, I'll read it when I can!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Penny Tang
00:38 Apr 10, 2021

OMG MIRA SOOO I JUST READ IT AND I STILL HAVENT CAUGHT UP (forgive me) BUT LET. ME. JUST. SAY. THAT THE WRITING ON THIS ONE WAS AMAZING!!! I’LL UPDATE WHEN I HAVE CAUGHT UP ON THE REST OF TDR

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:36 Apr 10, 2021

IS OKKKKKK PENNY!!!!!!! MK!!!!!!!!!! THANKS FOR READINGGGG

Reply

Penny Tang
13:06 Apr 14, 2021

DIQICJEHCJSLVKRNS I FINALLY CAUGHT UP AND OH MY GOSH YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS KEEP IT UP MIRA

Reply

Mira Caplan
14:06 Apr 14, 2021

YOU DID?????????????? OMG THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who's your favorite character??? WHO DO YOU SIMP FOR??? WHAT DO YOU SHIPPPPPPPPPP???

Reply

Penny Tang
14:45 Apr 14, 2021

My fav character so far is Everlys!! I DON’T SIMP, BUT OH MY GOSH ALL OF THE CANON SHIPS ARE JUST PERFECTTTTTTT (loved Kate and Luka btw) :D

Reply

Mira Caplan
14:47 Apr 14, 2021

YAS EVERLYS Omggggggggthanksyouuuuuuuuuu QUESTION ALARYS, THERAYA, OR LUKATE/KATJUN

Reply

Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
14:47 Apr 14, 2021

YAS EVERLYS Omggggggggthanksyouuuuuuuuuu QUESTION ALARYS, THERAYA, OR LUKATE/KATJUN

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
14:06 Apr 14, 2021

YOU DID?????????????? OMG THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who's your favorite character??? WHO DO YOU SIMP FOR??? WHAT DO YOU SHIPPPPPPPPPP???

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
22:28 Apr 09, 2021

Oh wow. I'm glad Part 21 is out but wow Mira, that ending- oOf I'm glad Kate x Luka is a thing tho, I hope Raya can handle her emotions by the ending.

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:31 Apr 09, 2021

Yeahhhh, the ending- :C YES, I SHIP THEMMM!!! Yeah... I, personally, think that her healing process form everything's going to be one of my favorite parts of TDR

Reply

Sunny 🌼
22:31 Apr 09, 2021

Can't wait to read it, I got my popcorn, tea, and Kleenex handy!

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:32 Apr 09, 2021

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD Wowwwwwwww XD Thanks for being so dedicated, it means a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
21:59 Apr 09, 2021

MIRA. MIRAMIRAMIRAMIRAMIRA (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA LUKA) OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG I KNOW WE TALKED ABOUT THIS AND I KNEW THIS WAS COMING BUT STILL- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *panting* omg. okay so- WOW this was- wow. I'm just glad you didnt make her slit her wrist, but this- this is- wow.

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:08 Apr 09, 2021

IKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK :CCCCCCCCCCCCCC Yeahhhhhhhhhh that would have been a little... too dark. Especially for the lighthearted context of KATE AND LUKA.

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
22:21 Apr 09, 2021

XDDDDDD kaluka sounds- interesting XD but Kuka isn't much better so....Kalu? ARGH hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Late? XD Luate? Lukate? LUKATE!

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:27 Apr 09, 2021

XDDD LUKATE!!! And it won't get mixed up with Luke, because... it's literally LUKA-TE. LU-KATE. XD

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
22:29 Apr 09, 2021

XDDDD imagine if you made a typo and put in luke instead of luka LOL

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:33 Apr 09, 2021

Well... Luke and Luka have different ways of talking, they look different, and Luke Castor wouldn't be flirting with Kate, and she wouldn't be flirting with Luke XDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
22:33 Apr 09, 2021

Well... Luke and Luka have different ways of talking, they look different, and Luke Castor wouldn't be flirting with Kate, and she wouldn't be flirting with Luke XDDDD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
21:56 Apr 09, 2021

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THIS IS PERFECT. ABSOLUTELY PERFECT. (The writings great as well, like usual)

Reply

Mira Caplan
21:57 Apr 09, 2021

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU SHIP YOU AND FYJUNNNNNNNNNNNNN/LUKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA??? (THANKS!!!!) The end was like real dark tho

Reply

Kate Reynolds
21:59 Apr 09, 2021

OFC I DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WE NEED A SHIP NAME. (OFC!!!) It wassssss I LOVED ITTTTTT

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:09 Apr 09, 2021

OK SO I'VE GOT THESE- (I made a whole ship list, lol) Lukate/Fykate/Kajun/Katjun. (The last one sounds like Kate- June, so that's kinda pretty.)

Reply

Kate Reynolds
22:16 Apr 09, 2021

OOOOHHHHHHHHHH (XDDD) Yesssss I LOVEEEEEEEEEEE KATJUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:18 Apr 09, 2021

YEAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY But wasn't that last scene like... dark??

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
22:17 Apr 09, 2021

OOOOHHHHHHHHHH (XDDD) Yesssss I LOVEEEEEEEEEEE KATJUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Mira Caplan
22:09 Apr 09, 2021

OK SO I'VE GOT THESE- (I made a whole ship list, lol) Lukate/Fykate/Kajun/Katjun. (The last one sounds like Kate- June, so that's kinda pretty.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:57 Apr 09, 2021

Wow, you're very committed to this series. Each part is just so beautiful and perfect, and they're already 21! This could totally become a book of some sort...I would never be able to write a whole series on reedsy. Anyways, congratulations on another great part! I loved it

Reply

Mira Caplan
21:58 Apr 09, 2021

Awwww, thanks! I plan on (hopefully) making it a trilogy- The first book in the arena, the second where all the family drama comes to light, and the third the war. Thanks again!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.