103 comments

Fantasy

A Week Before


BOOM! A missile shot by the enemy had rattled the ground. I had jumped out of the way as the shockwave made by the projectile threw my troops to the ground.


 I had taken my gun and shot blindly at the opposition. They shot back. A lot. So much that the tanks couldn't take it, and exploded, as the bodies of my allies showered the ground.


“No,” I had whispered through my lopsided helmet, “no.” The enemies were killing us, and bodies had been falling like puppets cut from their strings.


 The helicopters had to collect the survivors in an emergency evacuation. Even with the expert control of our pilots, the adversary had managed to gun down three of them.


It was the first defeat we had in a month. When we reached the camps we had fallen asleep before our heads hit the pillows. The next day, a messenger had come to me. “Sir,” he had said, “General Megavirus wants to meet you.”


“Alright.”


I had trudged to Megavirus’s tent. He had looked solemn. “General Ebola,” he had said while looking down, “General Smallpox is dead.”


No. It couldn’t have been true. Smallpox had infected the most humans. He just couldn’t be dead. His regiment had set the record for most antibodies killed in a month. 10,000.


 Along with that he had infected the most humans in a month, 5,000. 


“You’re joking, right?” I had asked with a slight smile on my face.


“No. He got killed in an explosion the white blood cells and antibodies had set off in a ditch. He and a regiment of his troops had tried to do a sneak attack. But the antibodies … they knew somehow.”


I had looked down. General Smallpox had never been close to me, but he had helped my regiment out of tight spots. I respected him for that.


“That means we’ll have to have another Council meeting to make someone a general, right?”


“Yes. We shall.”


2 days later


I walked across the corridor. Troops under my regiment and others saluted me as I walked by. “Good day sir,” they said.


“Good day,” I replied.


I was inside the Bacteria Headquarters. I am actually a virus, but I had a meeting with General Cholera. I rushed through a door while I checked my watch. Almost one o’clock. Better be quick. I was ushered into the transportation. It was called an SVTV, or “Specialized Virus Transportation Vehicle.”


I flinched as I kept my leg on the steps that led to the door. My foot was injured during the devastating battle that had killed General Smallpox.


After ten minutes of driving, I and my driver reached the Germ Headquarters. It was made for everybody: germs, viruses, fungi, and bacteria since we all are germs.


I went up the stairs and took a sharp right. There, about 50 yards in front of me, stood a door. It lead to the General’s Meeting Room. That was where I was supposed to be.


I rushed to the door and pushed it open. Standing in front of me were Generals Hepatitis, Syphilis, and Influenza. They were standing in a circle, slightly apart from one another. Hepatitis and Syphilis were murmuring in conversation. 


I took my spot beside General Influenza. We all waited for Generals Tuberculosis and Pneumonia to arrive.


“Hello General Ebola,” said Influenza.


“Hello,” I answered, “Any idea who we’re supposed to initiate as a General today?”


“Nope. But I did hear that he is only nineteen years old.”


“What! Only nineteen? Wow! He must be an expert at infecting humans then.”


“Indeed.”


We had nothing else to talk about and waited in silence. The murmurs of Generals Syphilis and Hepatitis sounded like shouts in the quietness that took place.


Finally, Tuberculosis and Pneumonia arrived.


“Now that we are all here,” Influenza started, “we can start. So, the reason for today’s emergency meeting is obvious. But, for formal reasons, I shall say it. As you all know, last week, in the devastating battle that took place within the human king of the world, General Smallpox was killed. Luckily, I have found a fitting replacement for him. He shall introduce himself.”


At the end of his sentence, a young man with a sort of weird crown entered the room. General Influenza shifted from his place in the middle and hurried over to the sidelines, near Pneumonia.


“Hello everybody,” the young man smartly said, “My name is Corona Virus VII. You may call me Covid. That’s my nickname. I enlisted in the Germ Military when I was … about seventeen years old. I’m nineteen years old. I’m a virus, as you may have gathered, and I was assigned to the Smallpox regiment. I’m thrilled to know that I’m going to be a general, and I hope that you all think that I’m worthy.”


He stopped there and stared at us. We didn’t know what to say, so there was some more silence. Then, Influenza began again, “So, that is Corona’s-”


“Covid,” corrected Corona, “just call me Covid.”


Covid’s, introduction. Before he is officially made a general of the Germ Military, does anyone have any questions for him?”


“How many kills have you got?” I asked.


“I’ve gotten about … at least five hundred antibody kills and about one thousand white blood cell kills,” answered Corona.


“What military school did you go to?” asked General Hepatitis “I went to Verango Military Academy for your information.”


“I went to Erstwhile Academy. The one that was made first, not the more recent one.”


“So you know more about the old school techniques, right?” Hepatitis inquired again.


“No! Erstwhile has the same syllabus for both the schools. Just because the first one is older doesn’t mean that it’s old school!” shot Corona haughtily. It seemed that he was very proud of his school, and would do anything to protect it.


I went to Kelten Military Academy just so you know. It wasn’t fun there. The teachers were shouting all the time. I’m not going to talk or think about it now, it’s painful to even imagine it.


“Does anyone else have any questions for me?” asked Corona.


“Why do you have that weird crown on your head?” I blurted out before even thinking. Oh no, it’s his first day and we’ve already started on the wrong foot.


“Oh, this?” Corona said while touching the crown fondly. He didn’t look offended. In fact, he looked proud! “This is a part of every one of my kind. I am proud to have it, for it shows that I am a part of the long and most prestigious line of Coronavirus.”


“Oh! Alright!” I said.


“Anything else?” Corona asked us again, “No? Please ask me anything, even if it’s awkward! Nothing? Okay.”


“Now that we are done with the questions, let us hear Corona say his oath,” said General Pneumonia.


“I swear,” Corona began, “to do the following with the absolute best of my ability as a general of the Germ Military, this covenant:

To respect my fellow germs, whether they are fungi, viruses, bacteria, or protozoa.

To be cooperative with my fellow Generals.

To be brave in the heat of the battle

To make a proper judgment in battle

To be loyal to the Germ Military

And, most importantly, to infect the most humans and animals as possible.”


“Very good,” Pneumonia said, “we now officially make you a general of the Germ Military!”


August 24, 2020 13:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

103 comments

Akshat .
13:43 Aug 24, 2020

Hey guys! Some things to say here: 1. I know. The title is a bit weird. So, if you think of any other title PLEASE post it in a comment! 2. I really hope you like it! 3. I don't feel right about the oath, so please tell me what you think about it! That's all! Hope you like the story!

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:03 Aug 25, 2020

Oh, wow! Great story! This was so very creative. " like puppets cut from their strings." This. Was. Amazing. I absolutely loved that line. You captured the beginning battle very well. Some feedback I do have is that don't overuse exclamation points(!). When in doubt, always use a period. You used exclamation points a bit much throughout. The oath sounds fine to me. Just, at the end, "and animals possible.", put AS before possible. For a title, I suggest The Valiant Virus but The Crowned Virus is honestly really good. It fits. So yeah, all ...

Reply

Akshat .
06:31 Aug 26, 2020

Wow! Thanks for this long comment!

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:28 Aug 26, 2020

No Prob! I really liked the story :)

Reply

Akshat .
15:45 Aug 26, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
09:44 Aug 27, 2020

1) you can keep it as * Unexpected battle(because it had a war at the first) *We can't be killed *The replacement *I think crowned virus is great too.

Reply

Akshat .
10:37 Aug 27, 2020

Thanks for the suggestions!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Hriday Saboo
10:04 Aug 31, 2020

Cmon we need a new story

Reply

Akshat .
10:13 Aug 31, 2020

I'm working on it :)

Reply

Hriday Saboo
10:26 Aug 31, 2020

Yeah Good

Reply

Akshat .
10:29 Aug 31, 2020

:D

Reply

Hriday Saboo
10:50 Aug 31, 2020

:l

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
16:13 Aug 30, 2020

Hey I have submitted my new story, do read it.

Reply

Akshat .
16:27 Aug 30, 2020

Ok.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D. Shikha
18:55 Aug 25, 2020

Amazing story, Akshat. Would you mind checking out my first story?

Reply

Akshat .
06:34 Aug 26, 2020

Thanks! Sure! But you just came and commented on my story without even liking it. Check my bio for more.

Reply

D. Shikha
08:47 Aug 26, 2020

Oh sorry, Akshat, I don't know how this happened but I swear I liked your story. I'm really sorry.

Reply

Akshat .
10:52 Aug 26, 2020

It's alright! I was just a bit irritated 'cause some people just come and comment. But you've proved me wrong! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
13:55 Aug 24, 2020

I have submitted my new story pls read it

Reply

Akshat .
14:03 Aug 24, 2020

Okay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Akshat .
15:38 Aug 24, 2020

Did you even read my story?

Reply

Hriday Saboo
16:12 Aug 24, 2020

Yeah

Reply

Akshat .
16:14 Aug 24, 2020

Because you haven’t liked it

Reply

Hriday Saboo
16:35 Aug 24, 2020

I have

Reply

Akshat .
16:41 Aug 24, 2020

Well I cant see the notification.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

Creative heading! Enjoyable writing! Loved it!

Reply

Akshat .
04:36 Sep 12, 2020

Thanks a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Akshat .
04:36 Sep 12, 2020

Thanks a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Akshat .
04:36 Sep 12, 2020

Thanks a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Amany Sayed
18:35 Aug 29, 2020

Any new points??🙂

Reply

Akshat .
05:22 Aug 30, 2020

What do you mean?

Reply

Amany Sayed
14:48 Aug 30, 2020

🤦🏻‍♀️I upvoted you.

Reply

Akshat .
16:26 Aug 30, 2020

Ohh. Well, thanks a lot! I'm gonna add you to my thanks list!

Reply

Amany Sayed
16:29 Aug 30, 2020

No Problem lol. Your stories are really well written.

Reply

Akshat .
16:31 Aug 30, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
18:04 Aug 28, 2020

Akshat, this was a funny story! I was expecting people when you initiated with a battle scene, and I laughed out loud when I saw that they were a part of the Germ Military. It's a funny story and I like the twist you put on it- 2020 from the virus view. Well done!

Reply

Akshat .
18:13 Aug 28, 2020

Thank you! It means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pragya Rathore
16:43 Aug 24, 2020

Whoa, this story was wonderfully written! I loved your characters, so complex and engaging. A fabulous read! I loved this one :p Please check out my new story if you get the time :)

Reply

Akshat .
16:45 Aug 24, 2020

Thank you very much! Yeah, I’ll read it in a bit!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:13 Aug 24, 2020

Wow, awesome job! This is sooooo creative...dang this was good. Keep writing!

Reply

Akshat .
15:16 Aug 24, 2020

Thank you Aerin! 😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
14:14 Aug 24, 2020

Cool! Hopefully Covid dies too ...

Reply

Akshat .
14:15 Aug 24, 2020

Haha! Lol!

Reply

Sia S
14:17 Aug 24, 2020

Hehe

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
08:05 Sep 28, 2020

The story was creative and it had great imagination which made the story interesting. Keep writing .

Reply

Akshat .
10:02 Sep 28, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
08:17 Sep 04, 2020

I love the depth and detail! Such a great read

Reply

Akshat .
08:54 Sep 04, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

. .
08:55 Sep 04, 2020

Np!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:45 Sep 01, 2020

I liked this story and you did a great job with it ^^ i'm not really sure though if your wanting any advice but i don't really know what to say for this besides that you should continue to make more stories :) so do you know what i'm going to give this? i'm going to give this story a 10/10 ^^ i was also wondering if you could go and check out "Not his fault" and "her arrival" ? i'd love to see what you have to say

Reply

Akshat .
03:08 Sep 02, 2020

Thank you! I'll read them later, I'm a little busy right now. Remind me!

Reply

B. W.
03:23 Sep 02, 2020

No prob and thanks ^^ its fine, i understand that you'll be a bit busy with maybe school and some stuff. i also saw the thing in your bio where you'd become a character or something so here's who i suggest you become: Star Scream From the Transformers prime series

Reply

Akshat .
03:45 Sep 02, 2020

I don't really know Star Scream's style though. Maybe Dobby? Or Yoda?

Reply

B. W.
03:55 Sep 02, 2020

Thats alright, yeah you should do Yoda, i think that would be fun ^^

Reply

Akshat .
04:08 Sep 02, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:44 Aug 31, 2020

This is great! Very creative!

Reply

Akshat .
13:46 Aug 31, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
08:12 Aug 29, 2020

Super creative! The knowledge of pathogens was incorporated well, such as the eradication of smallpox. Keep writing! 😙

Reply

Akshat .
08:32 Aug 29, 2020

Thank you! Yeah, I actually had to search up stuff about germs and viruses and things like that! I'm glad you liked it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
🄼🄹 🅂
14:44 Aug 28, 2020

I love this story soo much, it was very unique and I've never seen anything like it. Well done. Could you check my story, "True Love" or "The New Girl" Either one. Thanks. Peace ✌🏾

Reply

Akshat .
16:54 Aug 28, 2020

Thanks! I'll read them later!

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
17:04 Aug 28, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
16:11 Aug 27, 2020

This is amazing, Akshat! What a creative idea and you developed it so well. Especially how you took something that is usually addressed with such a serious tone and turned it into a very witty story that had me laughing throughout. I loved it!

Reply

Akshat .
16:29 Aug 27, 2020

Thank you so much, Kristin!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
09:41 Aug 27, 2020

Wow!!!!!! That was so creative. Viruses meeting!!!! Wonderful story. Keenly waiting for your next.... And one thing, you had mentioned it was the present day. Then why are you using past tense, Akshat. I think that's a mistake. Change it. Wonderful story. Would you mind reading my new story "The adventurous tragedy?"

Reply

Akshat .
10:36 Aug 27, 2020

Thanks! Hmm, I think you're right about the tense, I'll change that later. I'll read your story in a bit, I'm a little busy right now.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
19:59 Aug 24, 2020

Wow! This was goood! It was very creative! Great job!

Reply

Akshat .
06:33 Aug 25, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.