Bombs Away

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten seconds.... view prompt

44 comments

Suspense Drama Fiction

I stare in horror at the smirking face of Albert Grindstaff, the purveyor of death and horror, not the sanitized version of television screens, but the real genocides, the killing of entire families, smirked at me, scarlet blood blossoming over his heart from the bullet I just shot into his chest.

There is a dead quality to his eyes as if the soul had long departed and left this zombie-man in his stead, a monster to do the bidding of the dark force. All he cared for were his luxuries and the dirty money that floated in electronic nothingness. And all he wanted, was to tear down governments and make sure that they would never rise again. His terrorist organization had been responsible for dozens of countries’ downfalls, and he was trying to add another to his belt. But take away that loot, take away the gun, and all that’s left is something so pathetic, something that gave up his heart long ago, that sold his soul for extra champagne and a private jet. He was psychopathic through and through, with all the charm they use to manipulate and threaten all at once.

 His words ring in my ears. Thirty seconds before this bomb brings you down to hell with me. I turn and run. Not away, I’m not a coward. Besides, I wouldn’t get very far before the plutonium bomb nestled in the tent of the world’s most dangerous terrorist and anarchist blows up, taking most of the Pakistan-occupied state of Jammu and Kashmir with it. 

No, instead I run toward his tent. As the CIA’s best bomb defuser, I may be the only one qualified to prevent the mass levels of death and destruction such a bomb can create. I yank away the cloth covering from the bomb and gasp when I realize I only have ten precious seconds left. 

Ten

I pull off the metal plating that encases the bomb’s inner wires. Inside are a mess of different colored wires, each corresponding to a different part of the bomb. If I cut the wrong wire, it’ll either blow up in my face right away or quicken the time, which are not good options, because then the chances of me saving millions of lives, mine included is close to impossible.

Nine

I know from hours of training with dummy bombs under constant timers and pressure, that the wires that correspond with shutting the bomb down are located closest to the circuit board. That means that a lot of these wires are wired to different parts of the bomb, each deadlier than the other. I pull out my pocket knife and sift through the tangles.

Eight

Albert had designed this bomb, and in a trademark move of his, he distracts any future disarming attempters by placing multiple wires that if cut, detonate the bomb straight away. Several of my colleagues had died in vain trying to stop Albert’s reign of terror, and I wasn’t going to help him add another victory to his achievements. I dig deeper within the mess of wires, my fingertips finally brushing the circuit board.

Seven

I know I can’t cut any of the excess wires away, so I pull them carefully out of the way from my pocket knife. I click the light button and examine the circuit board. The circuitry is a small square, with dozens and dozens of different compounds connected to the inner machinery of the bomb.

Six

Circled around the board are two wires. Red and green. I sigh, knowing that this is the hardest part of disarming a bomb: picking which of the wires to cut. It’s a very hard decision, and most often than not, bomb disarmers get the wrong one. That’s why bomb disarmament is one of the hardest jobs in the world, harder even than rocket science, because it’s more often than not, a game of chance.

Five

In bomb class, it was always a 50-50 chance on whether or not I would get the correct one, and more often than not, I would get the wrong one. Only, within the training facility, I’d get a puff of smoke in the face and a monotone voice telling me that I’d failed. If I failed here, it would be catastrophic. The fate of millions of people rests on my shoulders, and I would try my damndest to save their lives.

Four

I study my two options. The green wire was the longer one, which meant it carried more weight. But the red wire was also the shorter one, which meant that it could also be the right one. True, the red did seem the easier option, but I had a tingling feeling in my gut. I’d learned the hard way to trust that tingle, as it had gotten me out of tight spots before.

Three

I yanked the red wire free from the green one and studied it. It was a thicker material which meant that the wiring had to be more important. Either this was the one, or I was going to be walking in the clouds in the next few seconds. My heart was thudding faster and faster. I pulled out the green one and looked at each wire in turn.

Two 

I gasped. It wasn’t the red one after all. I remembered one of the first days of Bomb Disarming 101, where they made sure to emphasize that the longer one meant that there was more important information to be sent along to the circuit board. I shove the red wire away and pull up the green one.

One

With surgeon steady hands, I snip the green wire carefully, and with barely half a second to spare, the bomb is disarmed. I shudder in relief and sit back on my heels-

“CUT!” I look up to see Antoine Bret, the director of the movie, Bombs Away, striding toward me. I get to my feet, and my makeup team flock toward me, clearing away the fake sweat dripping down my face and freshening up the cuts and bruises makeup so wonderfully fakes. “You’ve just disarmed the biggest bomb there is, and you can’t just sigh in joy, Elise!! I need more emotion, more relief. The audience needs to feel what you’re feeling. Set it up again!” I nod as he strides away and sits back in his director chair, and walk back over to where my co-star who plays Albert is being freshened up as well. I position myself properly again and hear the ‘Take two’ being yelled before sinking back into my role.

I stare in horror at the smirking face of Albert Grindstaff…

December 27, 2020 20:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

44 comments

Mira Caplan
22:57 Dec 27, 2020

PART 8 IS OUTTTT!!!! Nanika wasn't in it....sorryyyy. I'll incorporate her in somehow... I have this GENIUS idea for both your character and Jen's but you'll have to wait, lol. Enjoyyyy!!!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
23:03 Dec 27, 2020

aww that's cool :) I can't wait to see my character kick butt!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:06 Dec 27, 2020

She's gonna be awesome. She's gonna be Riva's friend or something. I have an entire plot planned out, so she's going to be featured AFTER the competition. It'll be a while, but I've got something you'll never expect. I think you'll like ittt

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
23:06 Dec 27, 2020

She's gonna be awesome. She's gonna be Riva's friend or something. I have an entire plot planned out, so she's going to be featured AFTER the competition. It'll be a while, but I've got something you'll never expect. I think you'll like ittt

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
22:43 Dec 27, 2020

This was AMAZING!!! I love how you described Albert Grindstaff, you made him sound so evil! This fit perfectly with the ten second prompt since her lack of time left made it so much more suspenseful. The ending was such a great twist! I really enjoyed reading this! :)

Reply

Nainika Gupta
22:44 Dec 27, 2020

:) YAY!! Thank you so much, Maya!! Yeah, I was going to have the Lost in the Wild one be a movie ending like this one, but then thought of this story as more fitting, you know?? Thanks for the read!!

Reply

Maya -
22:50 Dec 27, 2020

Yes! It was perfect! Nice job!!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yuk Yuk
20:34 Jan 03, 2021

Yes. It was Albert's description that actually made me read the whole thing. You a beautiful job✨

Reply

Nainika Gupta
12:16 Apr 13, 2021

thank you do much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Maya W.
22:00 Dec 27, 2020

Hey Nainika! I loved this so much! The suspense combined with the funny ending worked really well together. I feel like there's a little bit of editing to be done (nothing major, just I would rearrange some sentences), but other than that, I really enjoyed this one! Keep it up! I wrote a story this week, would you mind checking it out, if you have the time? It's for the tally mark prompt.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
22:16 Dec 27, 2020

Thank you so much!! Yeah, this was not fully edited, it could be rearranged, but thanks for pointing it out!! Of course!! I'll be right over :)

Reply

Maya W.
22:27 Dec 27, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

YOU ARE IN THE MARSHMALLOW POLICE

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
23:52 Dec 27, 2020

Totes random, but you are SO much older than me. Ok. Back to upvotinggg

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kristin Neubauer
15:07 Dec 28, 2020

Fantastic! So suspenseful and so vivid. I’m amazed that so much quality writing pours out of you so fast. Keep ‘em coming! Btw, there’s a horse story over on my page if you’re interested (it’s a happy one).

Reply

Nainika Gupta
15:23 Dec 28, 2020

Thank you so so much!! I really appreciate that :) ooh, you had me at horse story!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
23:44 Dec 27, 2020

I... I GOT DOWNVOTED

Reply

Show 0 replies

I found your link through one of my friend Emmie Greensgate's stories, and you are good. I like how you used the bomb going off to count out the seconds! You did good.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:33 Dec 29, 2020

Aw, thank you so much!!!

Reply

You'r welcome. The ending is really funny, when the character was just filming for the movie about the murderer guy and then bomb. Laughed for thirty whole seconds LOL

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:35 Dec 29, 2020

:)))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
22:17 Dec 28, 2020

NAINIKA. CELESTE AND I HAVE DECIDED THAT WE SHOULD MAKE THE MARSHMALLOWS AN ANTI-DOWNVOTING SQUADRON, HANDING OUT UPVOTES TO PEOPLE WHEN THEY'RE DOWNVOTED. ARE YOU IN, FELLOW MALLOW??

Reply

Show 0 replies
Diana Quill
17:29 Jan 08, 2021

An amazing short story! I loved the twist at the end, and the little kernels of knowledge about bomb diffusion were interesting. I look forward to reading more!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
17:58 Jan 08, 2021

Thank you so so much :D yeah, funny story, I was watching Mission Impossible: Fallout, and if you've seen the movie when Luther is diffusing the bomb, that kinda gave me inspiration yet wanted to make it my own style (If you read my Game of Lions Series, you'll know I absolutely love plot twists :) and full disclosure, that bomb info was directly from my imagination - i didn't think anybody would correct me :D

Reply

Diana Quill
07:48 Jan 09, 2021

Nice! It's always fun to know where the author got their inspiration. And don't worry about the bomb info; I don't think anybody but a true professional would know the difference, and I don't think there are many of those :)

Reply

Nainika Gupta
14:34 Jan 09, 2021

Yeah!! Ahaha yea don’t think so either

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Diana Quill
07:48 Jan 09, 2021

Nice! It's always fun to know where the author got their inspiration. And don't worry about the bomb info; I don't think anybody but a true professional would know the difference, and I don't think there are many of those :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Diana Quill
07:48 Jan 09, 2021

Nice! It's always fun to know where the author got their inspiration. And don't worry about the bomb info; I don't think anybody but a true professional would know the difference, and I don't think there are many of those :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 11 replies
Show 1 reply
Lucía M
15:39 Jan 03, 2021

Wow. This is by far one of the best stories I've read! Its perfectly paced and you did a great job managing the elements of suspense. The ending was totally unexpected as well. Great story, I look forward to reading more of your work. Also, it would mean so much to me if you checked out my latest story. It's on this same prompt and I would love to know what you think about it!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:35 Jan 03, 2021

Aww, thank you so much!! I really appreciate that :) And I will definitely check out your story!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurentz Baker
08:49 Jan 03, 2021

Enjoyed the detail, the pace and the masterclass on disarmament, Nainika. Great job creating that spy thriller vibe, tone etc.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
15:03 Jan 03, 2021

Ahah most of it was imagination, but some terms I had to look up :) Thanks so much for the read!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
14:32 Jan 03, 2021

Wow, you really led me on there! For a split second, I actually thought this was a real bomb being disarmed. Very well done twist!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
15:02 Jan 03, 2021

Haha that means I did something well!!! :) thanks so much for the read!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yuk Yuk
18:26 Jan 03, 2021

Ikr😂

Reply

Nainika Gupta
12:18 Apr 13, 2021

;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.