The Things You Don't Say

Submitted into Contest #53 in response to: Write a story about another day in a heatwave. ... view prompt

91 comments

Drama

           It was the hottest summer of the decade the year we bought our first air conditioner. It was August 1988, the summer before I entered high school, the summer before life got complicated. The six of us (seven if you count Daisy, the basset hound) loaded into the green Chevy station wagon and drove to Sears, Roebuck and Co. (as it was still called back then.) We were the only people on our street to get an air conditioner. Ronald Reagan was king and we were rich.

           Sears was the closest store to us, but was still over twenty miles away. I got everything that was important to me in my life there; my first Radio Flyer bike, my first Coleman tent, and later that year, my first training bra. 

           It was the summer before they paved a street behind our house and lined it with identical-style homes, and the summer before I would kiss a boy from one of those homes under the streetlight. But for now it was still fields of timothy hay and a horse paddock that belonged to our neighbor, Gus.

            Long lazy summer days were spent playing on the tractors and making forts with the bales of hay. I was wild, running free in my overalls. It was the last summer my mother would let me wear my overalls with no shirt underneath.

           We didn’t see our school friends until the school year began again. It was always just us and the neighbors, safe in our cocoon.

           

           It took Gus and my father to put the hulking air conditioner in our living room window. We hung faded flowered sheets in the doorway of the living room and dining room, and lined towels under the windows to keep the cold in. Dad slept on the couch, mom in her chair, and the four of us kids slept in the middle, a mishmash of pillows and blankets and stuffed animals. The smell of fresh laundry wafted through the room, the gentle ‘wurr’ of the air conditioner lulling us to sleep. My sunburned skin dimpled from the cold air. It was like a tomb.

           In the summers my youngest aunt would sun herself in our backyard. This summer, though, she had become more interesting for me to look. Her tanned body, the way it glistened with baby oil, the way her pointy hip bones dipped down when she walked. After my nightly bath I would wrap a towel around my body, pretending it was an evening gown, and slink around in front of the mirror trying to mimic her. I thought she was the prettiest woman I ever saw, pretty enough to be a model or movie star.

           She had a boyfriend named Butchy. Butchy drove a loud motorcycle. He wore black t-shirts with the sleeves cut off, showing off flame tattoos creeping up his biceps. When I would hear him coming down the road I’d run to the front window to watch. My aunt would run to him and leap into his arms, wrapping her legs around his waist.

My family had known Butchy since he was a kid. He was a friend of my brothers growing up. I would play sports with them in the backyard while my sisters watched from the patio. He even stayed with us for a few months when his parents split up. He called me "kid." One day Mom caught Butchy taking a bottle of Wild Turkey out of the liquor cabinet, after that he wasn't allowed over anymore.

        

   My aunt favored me over my sisters (I suspected,) because we were both the babies of the family (I figured.) Last Christmas we did a Yankee Swap, or White Elephant as many people call it, and I chose a special ornament that my Grandmother made, of course my older sister took it from me on her turn, even though she knew how much I wanted it. It’s really a maddening game. When it was my aunt’s turn she then chose the ornament from my sister. After the party I found the ornament on my bed. She was always doing things like that for me.

           One summer afternoon she asked me if I wanted to go for a ride to get a Raspberry-Lime Rickey at the ice cream shop she worked at. We rolled the windows down in her white Chevette, my hair whipped in the wind. It didn’t have a passenger seat so I sat on a pillow on the floorboard. I watched her in awe as she sang along to Pearl Jam.

           On the way home she asked me to get her cigarettes out of the console but instead I pulled out a round pack of pills with the days of the week listed on them. 

           “What are these?” I asked holding them up.

           She looked at me and hesitated.

           “Don’t ever let a man get the upper hand on you. Make sure you always hold all the cards,” she told me.

           I stared at her. I had no idea what she was talking about. But I nodded.

           My aunt didn’t come around for a few days after that. But then one morning I looked out and saw her sunning herself as usual on her towel in the backyard. I plopped down next to her eating my Popsicle, rambling on about how I crushed the neighbor’s flowers when I jumped out of his tree and how he told me I wasn’t allowed to climb his trees anymore, when she pulled her sunglasses off. She had green and purple bruising around her right eye.

           “Ouch, how did you get that?” I asked, wincing.

           “There are things you say. And things you only think,” she answered. Again her advice was lost on me but I didn’t ask for any further explanation and continued telling her how the neighbor had it out for me. Later that day I heard her tell mom she got hit while playing horseshoes at Gilly’s. After that she started spending less and less time at our house, and Butchy hardly ever picked her up anymore.

One evening I heard the familiar roar of Butchy’s engine and ran to the front window. Butchy pulled into the driveway as usual but didn’t come in. My aunt ran out front to meet him and jumped onto the back of his bike, wrapping her arms around his waist. 

           She saw me watching from the window and waved to me as they backed out of the driveway. I waved back from the safety of the house as they disappeared together down the road. Mom asked me what I was looking at but I didn’t say anything. And that was the last time I saw her, the last time anyone saw her. 

August 01, 2020 00:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

91 comments

Scott Doran
06:20 Aug 05, 2020

Nice story and character study, definitely one of the more talented entries in the forum. I loved the vignette on the Christmas ornament. As two cents, I did think the ending was a touch pat and obvious and the characterization of Burchybabtouchbstereotupicb Perhaps pull back on those aspect a touch. Beyond that, I loved it. You have distinct voice that is both talented and unique.

Reply

13:10 Aug 05, 2020

Yes I agree with you. The ending was a last minute add. So now it does seem obvious. Thanks for reading and reminding me. I’ll do some editing. Thank you so much Scott

Reply

Scott Doran
13:56 Aug 05, 2020

Sorry for the long string of gibberish in my last comment (iPhone typing issue). It was went to say that Butch was a touch one-dimensional and stereotypical. In any case, you're a wonderful writer and I hope to read more of your stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jessica C
00:29 Aug 05, 2020

Came for the story; stayed for your bio. Whew, I next level feel that one! This story is just so tragically lovely. I feel like any of us who grew up in the 1980s took that family trip to Sears and had an aunt just like that. Very nicely done.

Reply

02:21 Aug 05, 2020

Lol thank you Jessica.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sue Marsh
20:59 Aug 04, 2020

Sarah, I really enjoyed this story. The flow is excellent, and most of all the last twist. Sue

Reply

21:06 Aug 04, 2020

Thank you so much Sue!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A.d Bunni
20:35 Aug 04, 2020

Woah this was such a cool read, I love the dysfunctional summer holiday vibes it gives off!

Reply

20:36 Aug 04, 2020

Lol thanks A.d. I’m all about dysfunctional families

Reply

A.d Bunni
20:40 Aug 04, 2020

They make stories so much more interesting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nancy Drayce
13:51 Aug 04, 2020

Wow! Amazing story. The ending was incredible! Great job! 💜✨

Reply

14:04 Aug 04, 2020

Thank you Nancy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
07:17 Aug 04, 2020

What an amazing story. Beautifully written - I love how you develop the voice of the young girl. You capture that sense of childhood innocence so well. And the final sentence - wow. Such subtly and nuance throughout the story - love it!

Reply

12:16 Aug 04, 2020

Thank you so much Kristin!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
05:53 Aug 04, 2020

This is great, Sarah! Love it, the ending is perfect! :)

Reply

12:17 Aug 04, 2020

Thank you so much Raquel!

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
14:58 Aug 04, 2020

;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sjan Evardsson
01:40 Aug 04, 2020

Very well done. It reminded me quite a lot of summers in rural Central Oregon, which also experienced a growth boom around that time. Hundreds of acres of hay fields turned into housing developments. I love the way you're able to paint a vivid picture with simple language. Florid prose is not needed, and you've proved it. - side note that you have a typo: "bails of hay" should be "bales of hay" :)

Reply

01:49 Aug 04, 2020

Thank you so much Sjan. And thanks for the catch I'll fix it now.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daisy Torres
00:48 Aug 04, 2020

First off, thanks for liking my story! I reaally love your writing. I love how well you showed the backstory and the innocent thought-process of the little girl. This story has a very aesthetic time-capsule feeling to it, and the way you show the sinisterness of the boyfriend without flat-out explaining it for the MC left it very impactful—especially with that ending. Fantastic job 👏👏👏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexi Delavigne
22:30 Aug 03, 2020

This is really well written, I love how the main character doesn’t understand what’s happening to her aunt but you make it so that the readers do. I really enjoyed it :)

Reply

22:42 Aug 03, 2020

Thank you Alexi for reading and taking the time to comment. I appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Debra Johnson
13:53 Aug 01, 2020

This was titled perfectly. There are indeed things you say and things you only think about saying. Nice job.

Reply

14:44 Aug 01, 2020

Thank youDebra!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shea West
20:43 Oct 06, 2020

You really captured that gray space of being wild and free as a kid, but also being curious enough to notice the things all the big people are doing. It took me back to my childhood when there were things happening around me with grown ups that were shady as heck. Even though I knew some things weren't right, I wasn't old enough or worldly enough to process what to do with those things.

Reply

00:05 Oct 07, 2020

Thank you so much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Kingston
17:03 Sep 08, 2020

Wonderfully written. It feels like I’ve been pulled into the narrator’s world. Keep up the good work and keep writing!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tariq Saeed
12:20 Aug 23, 2020

Old but good style story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kylie Gillins
03:39 Aug 15, 2020

This was just like living one of those childhood memories that you don't understand until it is too late.

Reply

16:02 Aug 15, 2020

Thank you Kylie

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Manu Naik
03:18 Aug 15, 2020

I really like the writers who keep it so simple. Amazing storyline and no unnecessary vocabulary showoff. I enjoyed it 💜💜

Reply

03:34 Aug 15, 2020

Thank you Manu!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D.N Pendragon
23:15 Aug 14, 2020

I love the flow of this story. The images appear to seamlessly flow from the the text to the reader. I'm in awe as to how you can convey so much without the need to over elaborate on any one detail or scene. Well done on your shortlist, thoroughly deserved!

Reply

03:33 Aug 15, 2020

Thank you so much !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
That Asian Creep
16:35 Jan 09, 2021

Hello... I really like your story! Please could you give me some feedback on mine? https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/74/submissions/47395/

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.