Contest #176 shortlist ⭐️

Opening Geraldine's

Submitted into Contest #176 in response to: Set your story in a magical bookshop.... view prompt

50 comments

Funny Drama Fantasy

Carla inserted her skeleton key into the keyhole, turned it, and heard the unlocking of the bookshop’s door. When she pushed it open, the bell on the other side of it jingled its welcome tune into the stillness of Geraldine’s Books and Bits Bookshop.



Carla inhaled the shop’s sleepy aroma, a mixture of must and ambrosia, her mascaraed eyes gleaming excitedly through her bright red cat-eye-framed glasses. “Hello, my dears! Good morning, good morning!” she sang her dark crimson lips into a wide smile. “How was your weekend?”



A quiet creak weakly answered her amidst the silence.



“Oh, come now, you dreary books! Wake up! Wake up!” Carla clapped her hands into the air. A slightly louder tap from a few of the books rustling on their shelves was her only reply. “Oh, no, no, no, this will not do! Looks like we need a little energetic injection this morning, now, don’t we?”



Shutting the door behind her, Carla wiggled her fingers towards the stereo sitting on a shelf in the backroom of the store. Instantly, there was a distinct click, followed by muffled static; then inaudibly quiet voices crescendo’d through the speakers. Perfectly on cue and in sync with Montell Jordan, Carla opened her arms wide and belted out: “This is how we do it!



As the loud R&B song blared into the shop, the lights flickered on and off like eyes fluttering open after a deep sleep; once settled, its radiant rays illuminated the shop, enlivening the walls of bookshelves that encased the room. In each corner of the shop, books wriggled and jiggled, stretching their hard spines awake. The wooden shelves groaned against their movements. The crystal chandelier above the round table, the shop’s center display, began swinging in rhythm to the music, while the bookshop’s “bits” slowly came to life around the room: large bull toads jumped in their water tanks; feathery quills and wooden wands bounced in their vessels like the hammers of a piano; crystals slid across their mantles like synchronized swimmers; books not restricted to shelves fanned open their pages, exposing their enchantedly blank pages.



“The humans haven’t gotten much right, but their 90’s music is just catchy!” Carla beamed, bouncing her shoulders to the pulsing beat. A tink-tink-tink resounded from the apothecary cabinet where tincture bottles full with last week’s prepared potions and glass jars containing a variety of poison herbs and other potion-making ingredients were tapping against one another. “Ah, ah, gentle, gentle, my dears! Last time the dragon’s blood spilt, it reeked in here for weeks!” Obediently, the glassware settled into a slower tempo, softly clinking to the song’s macro beat.



“Geraldine! Oh, Geraldine, where are you? Yoo-hoo!” Carla’s tightly curled, bright copper hair bobbed as she swished her head left to right, searching. A wooden nub poked its head out from the open doorway that connected the front of the shop to the back. “Geraldine, there you are!” At the sound of her voice, the nub quickly retreated behind the doorframe. Geraldine extended her hand, opening and closing her palm, instructing the wary wood to make its appearance and come to her. “Don’t be shy, come on out, dear! Come dance with me!” The wooden nub hesitantly peeked out again, and then slowly waddled out into full view, revealing the full length of its wooden shaft and assembly of yellow straw bristles. Swaying rhythmically to the music, it hovered over to Carla who grabbed its handle and brought it directly to her mouth.



Again, in perfect synchronicity, Carla sang, “It’s Monday morning, and I feel all right, the party’s here at Geraldine’s!” Thrashing and threshing, the corn broom squirmed in Carla’s hand, and she released it with a playful laugh. “Oh, I know you hate it when I use you as a microphone! I’m sorry, Geraldine, but I just can’t resist! You know if I were the one whose soul was infused into a broom, you would do the same thing.” Geraldine offered a broom’s equivalent of a shrug. “You’re still as coy as you were in your human form, but at least you haven’t grown bitter in your sweeping years – HA! Now, what do you say? Shall we get this place open for business?” Shaking her bristles, the broom lowered to the hardwood and began her work, twirling in circles around the room.



“Thank you, dear friend! And where is Max? Max! Come on out and join the – “



Before Carla could finish, a small feather duster darted out from the back room right into Carla’s hand. “Ah, there you are my dear friend, and how was your weekend?” Like a dog shaking its tail, Max whipped his feathers frenziedly. “Oh, I’m happy to see you, too,” Carla cooed. “Now, won’t you help me get this place in tip-top shape and ready to open?” As quickly as it had arrived, the duster zoomed out of Carla’s grasp and began its flurry flutter around the room, flitting over the shop’s array of exhibitions.



Delighted by the lively scene before her, Carla danced with a 1-2-step around her bookshop, swiping her hand across the spines of books as she passed them, singing along: It feels so good, in my hood, tonight… When she reached the locked glass encasement which held the shop’s most valuable books, she stopped for a closer inspection. Her eyes scanned the golden spines of the books on the top shelf – her nearly complete assortment of The Maps to the Future – checking to see if they were still organized in their correct order, by dimension. Satisfied, she bent down to scan the lower shelves, containing the most powerful books in her inventory, a collection of strong spell-casting books that only the most wicked and wieldy witches could execute. Sliding her finger across the glass, Carla ensured their presence as she listed them off one by one: “Book of the Dead, Book of the Living, Book of the Undead, Book of the Unborn, Book of the Non-Magical, Book of the In-Laws – so glad someone finally wrote that one – Book of Magical Creatures, Book of Non-Magical Creatures, and…” Carla paused a moment, pressing her finger into the glass where an empty space loomed behind it. “The Book of Undoing… where have you gone?” Curiosity, concern, and worry furrowed between her eyebrows as she brought her finger to her lips, still bobbing her head to the 90’s rap song that continued to play loudly throughout the small space.



“Geraldine! Max!” Carla hollered above the music. “Where is the Book of Undoing?”



When Carla stood up and turned away from the case, she was met with the unmoving broomstick and feather duster, whose feathers were now hung limp, hovering side by side like dutiful soldiers awaiting their commands. “Well, where is it? You were here all weekend, you must know what’s happened to it. It’s not as if it could sprout legs and wander off, now, could it?” Carla chuckled lightheartedly, but the cleaning tools remained still, without an answer.



"You don’t know, do you? Huh?” Like a mother scolding her children, Carla prepared to unleash, planting her hands on her hips. “Now, one of you had better tell me what’s happened to it! Do you have any idea what could happen if that book got into the wrong hands? It would be –”



“It would be what, Carla?” A voice coming from the front door of the bookshop interrupted her.



Carla jumped, her hand flinging to her chest. When she saw her employee standing in the entryway, she laughed at her reaction. “Oh, James! You scared me!”



James stood confidently in the doorway with his hands gripping the straps of a backpack slung over his shoulders. Grinning at his boss, James asked, “What would happen if someone got their hands on the Book of Undoing?”



Carla raised an eyebrow at James, questions surfacing within her eyes. “Well, of course, it depends on who had their hands on it, but as you know, James, if a person with the wrong intentions found it within their possession, well, the results could be… unpredictable.”



James guffawed. Sliding his backpack towards his front body, he unzipped it and pulled out a large book with a gold swirly design along its spine that resembled the decorated spines of the books inside the glass encasement. “And what if someone like me got their hands on it?”



Like a sheer gasp, Geraldine and Max fled to the back room. Showing no reaction to their swift departure, Carla snapped her fingers sharply beside her ear, and just as Montell sang, Sell a million records and we’re making the dash, the music ceased and all the elements of the bookstore stilled, leaving her and James in a silent stand-off. Narrowing her darkening eyes at James, Carla spat, “And what exactly do you intend to do with that, James?”



James flipped through the pages of the ancient and powerful book as he spoke. “You know, Carla, you’re one powerful witch, but you are entirely blinded by your own vanity, you know that?”



Carla rolled her eyes and sighed impatiently. “Hand the book over, now, James, before you regret it. It’s not as if you could do anything useful with it, anyways.”



Ignoring her comment, James continued, “It never struck you as odd that I knew so much about Geraldine’s when you hired me?”



“What does that –”



“That I knew all of the nooks and crannies of this place; how things were organized and displayed; how I knew my way around the cabinets and storage areas… how I knew everything about this place before you even told me any of it. It never concerned you just how comfortable I was here… never even crossed your mind..." His fingers slowed, now thumbing through the pages with intention. When he reached the page he was searching for, he traced his finger down the center of it.



“Are you going to get to the point, James, or are we going to diddle dally our way – “



“Geraldine. Max.” He said their names firmly and with pause. “They were like family to me, and you took them away.” Pointing towards the back of the shop, his voice grew louder, “You turned them into…into…into your slaves, your own personal utility closet!”



Realization took shape in the form of a mock smile on Carla’s face. “Oh, James, dear, is that what this whole thing is about? This bookshop’s lousy old owner and her fleabag of a dog, are you serious?”



James glared at her, his stare a growl. His lips quivered, but no words left them.



Patronizingly, Carla wafted her hand at James. “They’re fine, James; they’re happy here. You know that; you’ve seen me. I’m good to them! You should have seen the party we were having just minutes before you stormed in here like a dragon waking up on the wrong side of its cave! Now, come on, darling, don’t be silly. Give me the book back, and let’s get on with it.” Carla extended her arm towards James, her hand waiting. When James showed no sign of compliance, Carla matched his blazing scowl and added, “You really don’t want to do this, James.”



James reached back into his backpack and pulled out his wand. Carla, looking bored, rolled her eyes, shrugged her shoulders. “Well, I hate to have to find a new employee, but I guess I could use a new mop.”



Pointing his wand directly at Carla, James closed the Book of Undoing, tucked it against his side, and roared: “Frigidus!” Carla froze, her mouth agape and eyes wide with her hand reaching into her cloak. Relieved and a little surprised by his swift success, James lowered his wand and took a step forward.



Carla erupted into laughter and now James was the one to freeze. “You really thought that would work, you worthless wizard? An elementary incantation like that hasn’t worked on me in decades! And while I must thank you for granting me a decent laugh, what kind of boss would I be if I let you get away with such defiance?” Her wand in her hand, Carla’s eyes focused in on James. “Hoc trans—"



Before Carla could finish her spell, Geraldine and Max bolted back into the room and swarmed around Carla. The feather duster whipped up in front of her face and began shaking furiously about her nose, while the broom turned its bristles upwards and began whacking Carla on the head. Carla wailed, flailing her arms in all directions, giving James enough time to open back up the Book of Undoing. Quickly finding the right page again, James struck his wand towards Carla and the thrashing tools and recited:



Acarmine factum est quod

vis fieri cape istas animas

es iterum totum

solve magicam quae fiebet illis!”



A stream of blue light beamed out from James’ wand, immersing the scene in a blinding gleam. This being the strongest magic James had ever used, he was not accustomed to the brilliant spark and averted his eyes. Once the light dispersed, James looked back towards Carla, but he no longer saw the corn broom and the feather duster.



A portly blonde woman stood in front of Carla, whose face was now more frozen than she had pretended to be by James’ spell. At the women’s feet, a scruffy brown dog sat staring up at them both, tail sliding across the hardwood.



“Geraldine! Max!” James exclaimed in both disbelief and relief.



Geraldine smiled briefly at James, “Hello, sweetie,” and then spoke directly to Carla: “James might not be as powerful a wizard as you, Carla, but I certainly am. And as you very well know, you wretched wench, revenge is a witch’s most powerful ally. You fooled me once into trusting you, but that will never happen again. ” Geraldine lifted her now-human hand up in the air; a wand wiggled from a cup on one of the shelves and flew across the room into her hand. In an instant, it was pointed at Carla, just inches from her nose. Max rose to all fours and growled next to her.



Laughing nervously, Carla put her hands up in defense. “Now, Geraldine, dear, let’s talk about this… We can work something out… Please, Geraldine.”



Without speaking a single word, red light flashed out of Geraldine’s wand, and instantaneously a small buzzing fly filled the space where Carla once stood. Smiling victoriously, Geraldine said, “You know, Carla, you always did bug me. And you were wrong: I have grown bitter, but only towards you!" Max barked his agreement, and Geraldine giggled and patted him on the head. “Good boy, Max. It’s so wonderful to be able to touch you with my own hands again!”



“Geraldine!” James exclaimed, running into her arms, and she welcomed him into the warm hug he’d missed for decades. “I can’t believe it’s really you!” Max jumped up on his hind legs, tapping his front paws on James' hips. “Max! It’s so good to see you and your floppy ears!” he said, scratching behind his ears fervently. Max wagged his tail and leaned his head into the overdue affection before plopping down on all fours again.



Geraldine cupped James’ cheeks in her hands. “Oh, James, you've grown into such a wonderful young wizard. Thank you for saving us! Thank you, thank you!” She kissed him firmly on each cheek.



A buzzing sound grew louder around James’s ear. He swatted aggressively at the small bug flying around his head. “Ugh! I can’t wait to squash you, Carla!”



Geraldine caught his arm. “Oh, now, hold on James.” She waved her hand in the air, and instantly the front door of the shop swung open; then a gust of wind from within the room whirled to life and pushed the fly right out of the store. “Best to let a human handle that one,” Geraldine added with a wink.



Chuckling, James beamed at Geraldine with pure delight. “I’ve missed you so much Geraldine; I’m so sorry it took me so long to change you back.”



Squeezing his hand gently, Geraldine gazed at James as if he were her own son. “That’s all right, dear. All that matters is you’ve done it now. I’m forever grateful to you.” Inhaling deeply, Geraldine scanned around the bookshop. “Well, I’ll have to do some rearranging in here, but we can save that for another day. Before all that drama, Max and I had done a pretty good job tidying this place up, so what do you say: shall we open up Geraldine’s Books and Bits Bookshop now that the real Geraldine is back? I’d really love to catch up with some of my old friends!" She clapped her hands excitedly and bounced like an eager child.



“Absolutely,” James nodded and walked over to the front door. Flipping the sign on the door over to the side that says Open, he started to add, “I know everyone will be so happy – ”



Holding up a finger, Geraldine interjected. “Oh, oh! Before you do that, James, dear, there is just one more thing I’d like to do before we officially open…”



James tilted his head at Geraldine, confused. Grinning, she snapped her fingers and a distinct clicking sound came from the back of the shop. “Of all the horrible things Carla did, she did get one thing right…”



When Montell Jordan’s voice belted through the speaker once again, Geraldine, James, Max, and all the animated elements of the bookshop were in perfect rhythmic synchronicity together as they sang, “This is how we do it!”

December 16, 2022 06:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

50 comments

Edward Latham
09:51 Dec 17, 2022

So much fun and magic! I enjoyed your description of the books wriggling and jiggling and stretching their hard spines awake, and it was a good ominous feeling you built around James, before switching the expectations on us!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:58 Dec 17, 2022

Thanks for the read, Edward, and your kind words! I was hoping for something fun this week so I'm glad you found it so :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
16:07 Dec 16, 2022

Such a fresh and original story! I could see this being done as a play, too - really fun, and forward-moving action. Loved it, thanks for the great read!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
23:27 Dec 16, 2022

Hi Wendy, thanks for stopping by and reading this silly thing! "Forward-moving action" is actually the best compliment I can get on this. Originally my idea had nothing to do with Carla being a bit of a "wretched wench." I just liked the imagery of opening up a bookshop while dancing to music; but I realized there was no plot in that, no "forward-moving action," so I had to let the story lead me somewhere else. So happy you enjoyed it, and I'm so appreciative of your comment, thank you again :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dara Martin
15:45 Dec 30, 2022

I think you did an amazing job! It also kind of reminds me of how everything comes alive in Beauty and the Beast :-)

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
15:51 Dec 30, 2022

Thanks, Dara! I love that movie and I definitely had it in mind when I created this. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
15:49 Dec 27, 2022

Oh my gosh! Anne! I loved your incorporation of music into this piece! I could absolutely imagine dancing around this bookstore, and enjoying the moment with your characters. I got a tell ya, the story had a little bit of a twist for me. I tend to be a very trusting soul, so I thought this piece was an awesome surprise. I think what I loved most about the words you chose for this piece is the fact that you listed so many of the books that I imagined myself devouring from this shop. I loved the way you incorporated Latin into the spells as w...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:30 Dec 27, 2022

Hey Amanda, thank you for reading and commenting! You are not the only one who was surprised by the twist! Carla had me fooled for a minute there too. 😉 So happy you enjoyed it, it was certainly a fun one to write!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sav Lightwood
23:51 Dec 25, 2022

When Carla said "You know if I were the one whose soul was infused into a broom, you would do the same thing." to Geraldine, my red flag sensors flared up like crazy. What an oddly specific thing to tease this poor broom about, there is undoubtedly some foreshadowing here - and alas there was! A super bouncy, Disney-like tale that was a delight to read! Congrats for the shortlist Anne :)

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:22 Dec 26, 2022

Thank you, Sav! This was a particularly fun piece to write because it is so outside of my wheelhouse. I didn't even know Carla was going to be a naughty witch until Geraldine gave me some hints! Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
S N
17:11 Dec 24, 2022

That was so sweet! I was feeling some kind of way about sharing musical likes with the villain of the tale until the end mercifully reminded me that Montell Jordan is for EVERBODY, good and bad ha, ha. This was a very cute read and something I can easily share with little kiddos too.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
17:28 Dec 24, 2022

🤣 yes!! Montell Jordan IS for everybody! Last night I danced to this song in celebration with my in-laws 😂💃🕺 Thanks for pointing out that this story is accessible and appropriate for children! I offered to share it with my 4 yr old last night, but she was in a no-mood. I'm going to try again, I think she'd like the witches! Thank you so much for reading and commenting, I appreciate your time, Sasha!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
06:07 Dec 24, 2022

Congrats, Anne Marie! Deserved shortlist.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
15:59 Dec 24, 2022

Thank you, Chris!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cora Weaver
04:42 Dec 24, 2022

Congrats on the shortlist. I enjoyed reading this story, and I like the parallel with both Carla and Geraldine (and everyone else) liking 90s music. Such a magical tale.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:01 Dec 24, 2022

Hey, my daughter's name is Cora - great name! :) Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment! I certainly had fun envisioning this magical world!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
17:51 Dec 23, 2022

This had such a great bounce to it. You could feel the enjoyment you felt in writing it, and I really loved the characterization around James. Congratulations!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
18:20 Dec 23, 2022

Thanks so much Kevin! I definitely did have fun with it; I actually had the theme song playing while I wrote some of it so there was definitely a lot of literal bouncing while I typed this up. Thanks for your time!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:14 Dec 23, 2022

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:50 Dec 23, 2022

Thank you, Deidra! :) A little surprise this morning.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
13:41 Dec 23, 2022

This is perfection, Anne Marie! It was like cinema in my head to read, full of energy and motion and magic! The characters were all fully realized and the story captivating. I loved that the feather duster whipped its feathers like a dog wagging its tail - good one! A great read - I certainly enjoy how YOU do it. :)

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:57 Dec 23, 2022

Aw Susan, thank you! I'm so glad this came alive for you. It's one thing to imagine something in your head but it's a whole other thing to get others to imagine it, too. Thanks for your kind words and taking the time to read and comment :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lei King
16:58 Dec 22, 2022

~ This story was so much fun! I just came across this short story and decided the title really pulled me in. It's quite hard for me to find the right book when reading independently, so I was really surprised when I clicked on this story. I'm mainly on reedsy to gather motivation and collect inspiration. When I read this story, I was very delighted to find out that Carla wasn't actually the original owner of Geraldine's Books and Bits Bookshop. From the start, I could tell she was quite the specimen and that nothing good could come from her....

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
17:54 Dec 22, 2022

Wow, what a compliment, thank you so much, Lei! This is unlike anything I usually write, so it really makes me happy that you found it so fresh and original. I was nervous about how it would turn out, but the characters, particularly Geraldine in her broom form, kept dropping hints that I should certainly not trust Carla. She pretty much took over the story from there. Thank you so much for reading and commenting. Hope you find a lot more inspiration here; there are so many talented and creative writers on here. I'm endlessly grateful for th...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:45 Dec 22, 2022

I loved your descriptions of all the characters. You certainly put a lot of thought into their creation. In my mind I was watching a Disney film! Really well done.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
15:08 Dec 22, 2022

Thank you Sharon! What a wonderful compliment :) thanks for reading! I appreciate your time and comments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
00:35 Dec 22, 2022

A really good quirky story, well-written and entertaining.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
00:47 Dec 22, 2022

Woah, I just finished commenting on your piece, how funny! Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
00:21 Dec 21, 2022

Magically light and fun !

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
03:14 Dec 21, 2022

That's what I was going for! Thanks for reading! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julie Squires
01:12 Dec 19, 2022

Wonderful story. :)

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
01:25 Dec 19, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
00:19 Dec 19, 2022

Great twist in this one! I was going to say, you made opening a store in the morning interesting, but then we hit the meat of the story. Carla seems like such a friendly, jolly person, so when we learn her true nature and what we did, it's a bit of a shock. Initially, I suspected James was trying to pull a fast one, and she'd be forced to save the day - but no, it was he who was saving the day. Looks like she got sloppy. Although maybe this is a thing in the world of witchery, since Geraldine spared Carla, so that she too could one day ret...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
01:09 Dec 19, 2022

Thanks, Michal! My original idea for this was simply to make opening up shop feel as fun as possible (that's how we used to open up the shop I used to work at, with lots of very loud music and dancing 😂), but then I realized there is no forward moving action or plot to that at all... Then Geraldine, or the broom, hinted at me that something was amiss when she wouldn't come out to dance with Carla. The story kind of unraveled from there. Vibe I was going for is exactly that: Harry Potter + 90s r&b. For some reason, when I imagine old witche...

Reply

Michał Przywara
00:56 Dec 24, 2022

Woo! Shortlist city! Congratulations :)

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
01:20 Dec 24, 2022

Thanks!! It was such a surprise! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
18:19 Dec 18, 2022

Hello my dear. It's my absolute pleasure to send this to the shortlist this week. Without a doubt, this is hands down my absolute favourite story of yours. It's got twists, revenge, bewitchments, cool spell books and,hells bells, it's even got cool music. The soundtrack is " this is how we do it " well this is certainly how sister Scribbler does it. This has shades of The Sorcerer's Apprentice by Goethe to it. I love this poem and know it very well as my eldest had to learn the whole thing in German. I love recalling it now, the magicked im...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
03:00 Dec 19, 2022

Awww, thanks for being my cheerleader this week my Miles from miles away! :)) While I absolutely love all things magical, and I absolutely love bookshops, I do not know much about writing about magic (I like to leave that to the experts.) But nonetheless I had so much fun with this, and did a little research about how to write magic systems and even stuck my nose in some Latin translations - cool! The R&B music was the kickstarter here, that song has been stuck in my head! Then sweet old Geraldine came barging in asking to be in her human fo...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
05:48 Dec 19, 2022

It had to be this prompt: a magic bookshop, it's such a good one! Dashing off to school now but big hugs from frosty Germany. Keep that RnB blasting (a good reprieve from all the Mariah blasting out!)

Reply

Rebecca Miles
17:24 Dec 23, 2022

Go Miles go. Oh yeah baby!!! What a very deserved Christmas gift for you sister Scribbler. I've yet to read any stories this week, I'm still buying presents, but even if it's post Christmas, yours will be the first I read. Hugs across the Miles 🎄♥️🤗

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
18:15 Dec 23, 2022

Oh thank you my Miles twin! It was a pleasant little surprise this morning. I wasn't expecting it! Hope your shopping goes smoothly; I've got one more writer idea for this week but I'm off to finish my shopping as well so it's unlikely it'll happen.. either way, sending you a Christmas hug and wishes! 💚❤️❄️🎄

Reply

Show 0 replies
AnneMarie Miles
01:16 Dec 24, 2022

*gasp* 😯 I didn't put two and two together... You're a judge??! So when you said you sent my story to shortlist, you were being literal! Oh my! A million thank yous, sister scribbler!! 🙏❤️🙏 Can't believe I just made that connection 😅

Reply

Rebecca Miles
05:44 Dec 24, 2022

I've only recently become one and I'm not judging this week already as I'm too busy. You get to see how many entries suck ( no grasp of plot, no character development, no grammar!) And then a few, yours included, shine all the brighter. Off to read your latest now before the craziness of what we call Heiliger Abend. In Germany, this is the big one.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:15 Dec 16, 2022

The magic bookshop dancing in synch to 'this is how we do it' is a great image! I've heard that song so many times. Didn't know exactly why they needed to go so far to quash Carla like a bug, but I guess every shop needs to let off some steam before opening. A fun story. Can they do 'push it' by salt n pepa in the next chapter ?

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
23:42 Dec 16, 2022

Hi Scott, I'm so glad you enjoyed that image; it was the sole image that drove this story into existence. Bet you'll be listening to "This Is How We Do It" again sometime soon ;) Really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment on this silly piece!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
14:36 Dec 24, 2022

I even thought Geraldine and Max were enjoying themselves, I never knew they were flowing along out of helplessness. Congrats.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:00 Dec 24, 2022

Thank you, Philip!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.